Make these ads go away.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: has that GPS ever caused you problems?

Proudly humble
    is Lost in the Ozone, again.

I am:
    Cool

Local Date
    12-12-2018
    Local Time
    02:07 PM
    Gifts Beer Balloons Gift Car Beer

has that GPS ever caused you problems?

The GPS system has been a boon to the wanderer, these last couple of decades. I love having mine.
    My favorite game when in a strange area is to start from my hotel, or family/friends' home, and mark that place n my GPS, and then turn it off, then take off exploring, until I get good and lost. I then try to find my way back to my starting point, and if I Really get lost, I can fire up the GPS, and let her help me get home.

Recently, here in Colorado, we had a major highway shut down, and people who ignored the "Detour signs put up by the Highway Patrol decided their GPS knew the way.

Well in the summer time that might work.

Editorial: Don't let GPS lead you astray - Longmont Times-Call

I never used a GPS when outside the US (well, once on a trip into the Maritime Provinces) but was wondering how well Garmin and the others keep up with roads in Europe, and the UK, and other parts of the world.

What kind of adventures have your GPS' taken you on?
    "The trouble with people isn't that they don't know, but that they know so much that ain't so." - Will Rogers

gmc
    Currently Online Now
    This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    12-12-2018
    Local Time
    07:07 PM
    Gifts Cocktail Car Beer

Re: has that GPS ever caused you problems?

I have an early garmin etrex bought for hillwalking years ago only ever used it a few times (Takes half an hour to find the stellites because I use it so seldom. ) to check my position in a white out or fog it's a great navigational AID. That's the key thing though it's an aid if you can't navigate in the first place they're not much use for instance can you find where you are on the map once you have the co-ordinates? Or get youirself out of the mess if you put in the wrong info. Used in conjunction with a map fine but if you can't read a map in the first place pretty useless especially if you can't progremme them properly.

I have both a car and a truck GPS and they're invaluable but I usually carry maps as well as I like to be able to visualise and check the route if it's a long run also I find the fastest route it's programmed for doesn't always take in to account levels of traffic at certain times of the day. In cities like glasgow and edinburgh the narrow streets and high buildings siometimes block the signal, it freezes and then jumps by which point it can be a bit awkward so having a map can be very handy. I've been stuck in a dead end trusting a GPS I was told to use that had maps three year out of date. Well not stuck but reversing a 35ft long vehicle is not fun sometimes. I've had a few you've got to be kidding me moments that's why I carry maps as well just in case (what to do if the charger in the vehicle isn't working or the gps fails both of which experiences I have had) and always use my own gps at least I know the maps are up to date even at that I've had it try and take me up a road that is now shut or was once a through route especially in rural areas when trying to locate farms with unmade roads.

So in answer to your question they work well so long as you remember it is an AID to navigation not a substitute for common sense or being able to read a map in the first place. I've been out with drivers that have any ever used a gps you just don't memorise the routes in quite the same way and if you don't look at a large scale map, - well in my experience it helps fix lacations in your memory if they programme the gps wrongly they are stuffed because they don't have the knowledge to realise there is somethimng wrong with the route being given. I've also been out with drivers that refuse to accept their gps might be wrong and plough on regardless. People blame the gps but it's usually the idiot using it at fault.

Unless I know an area well I would always follow the detour signs and just hope some wee ****e hasn't moved one of the signs. Why do people think that's funny?

Moblie phones with gps now they're highly entertaining. A lot of people don't seem to understand that they only work if you are in an area where you actually get a phone signal and using the phone that way eats up the battery life quicktime. Many's the time I've seen people standing holding their phone up towards the sun in a vain attempt to get a signal or wishing they's remembered to charge the thing in the first place. Even funnier are those who assume it will be more accurate than a GPS which they seem to regard as "old" technology.

Proudly humble

I am:
    Cool

Local Date
    12-12-2018
    Local Time

The first GPS I got was fairly simple. It would give you map coordinates of you location within 50 meters. It had no altitude info, at all. It could plot a course on-screen of your movements.

When you are out in the boonies, 50 meters can mean a lot. Was great for helping you navigate the back country, if you have a proper Topo map to work with, but without a good map it was basically useless for figuring where you were and where you needed to go.

A friend of ours got one and liked using it on his boat. He could mark locations where the fishing was good. We were invited to go along one July 4th to a town up the coast for Independence day celebration. He used his GPS to track the route we took, planning to just follow the same track back home.
    All was well on the return until I noticed the lights of another boat up ahead, and saw the Jerry and his neighbor were at the helm, very carefully following the track on the GPS. As the other boat began to get closer, and closer, I stepped to him and asked if he could see that on the GPS screen, and pointed to the boat.
    He grabbed the wheel and turned to avoid a collision. Always helps if SOMEBODY is actually watching where you're going.
    "The trouble with people isn't that they don't know, but that they know so much that ain't so." - Will Rogers

gmc
    Currently Online Now
    This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    12-12-2018
    Local Time
    Gifts Cocktail Car Beer

posted by larsmac
    All was well on the return until I noticed the lights of another boat up ahead, and saw the Jerry and his neighbor were at the helm, very carefully following the track on the GPS. As the other boat began to get closer, and closer, I stepped to him and asked if he could see that on the GPS screen, and pointed to the boat.
    He grabbed the wheel and turned to avoid a collision. Always helps if SOMEBODY is actually watching where you're going.
    Know what you mean I've seen people walking along paths holding the gps in front of them. Phone apps are funnier the local park I walk the dogs in has a very poor to non existent phone signal occassionally you meet people that have been so busy looking at the phone for directions they haven't paid any attention to which way they came and are so lost they can't find their own way back to the carpark.

This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    12-12-2018
    Local Time
    Gifts Beer Cake

I remember when I went to visit a friend in the middle of nowhere, near Petersfield, there were official road signs saying :

"Lorries - Ignore SatNav"

Proudly humble

I am:
    Cool

Local Date
    12-12-2018
    Local Time

One major lesson learned while driving in the country.
    Set the thing to "Fastest route", instead of "Shortest route" unless you are really looking for an adventure.
    We were driving through Tennessee south of Nashville, and on the way to my niece's home in a town west of Nashville.
    The Garmin turned us off the interstate near Franklin, and took us the the Back of Beyond, down tractor paths, and cow trails, over a couple of crags, into a deep valley. At the end of the valley, there was an old church, and we pulled into the church parking area, and could see no way back out. The pastor came walking out and asked if were trying to get to Dickson. I said, "Yes." he said "GPS?" to which I replied "yes". He said, for us to go back behind the church and we'd see a driveway up to the Davidson's house. Go past the house and we'd see a road. Turn left, and follow that road. Pastor said he saw at least one or two cars come by any given week, following their GPS.

We followed his directions, and we came down another valley, into town.

is just wandrin

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    12-12-2018
    Local Time
    11:07 AM
    Gifts Balloons Cake Gift

Twice, in two different areas, the vehicle GPS took me on a road where I couldn't turn around and right up to the gate of a highly secure and presumably "secret" government installation. On both occasions the armed guards were not content to let me turn around and did a vehicle search and lengthy questioning before allowing me to leave.

This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    12-12-2018
    Local Time
    11:07 AM

I have heard about new smart GPS which will remember all your decisions
    Thanks for us open betting tips on this forum

is jellyfish

I am:
    Awesome

Local Date
    12-13-2018
    Local Time
    06:07 AM

Even the bad ones?

Never owned a gps. Funnily enough i can read a map and remember it....
    There's no such thing as being lost. Lost is just an adventure. Roll wirh it.

is jellyfish

I am:
    Awesome

Local Date
    12-13-2018
    Local Time
    06:07 AM

Register to remove this ad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wandrin View Post
    Twice, in two different areas, the vehicle GPS took me on a road where I couldn't turn around and right up to the gate of a highly secure and presumably "secret" government installation. On both occasions the armed guards were not content to let me turn around and did a vehicle search and lengthy questioning before allowing me to leave.
    I thought you lived in America? Not Russia.
    Here we'D state our case, tell them to get ****ed if they held us up. "Allow you to leave????

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast