I am:
    Cool

Local Date
    11-20-2017
    Local Time
    04:12 PM
    Gifts Beer Balloons Gift Car Beer

Burkhini?

So, been reading about these new swimsuits designed by and for Arab/Muslim women who want to maintain proper modesty when bathing.

I don't get it. Some beaches have banned them, and people in some very civilized regions have become rather enthusiastic about their opinions of them.

What's that about? I grew up in South Florida, and I have seen all sorts of swimwear choices.
    What do you care what other people wear when they bathe?
    And if you paid airfare/trainfare to travel to a vacation destination, how do you feel about them telling you what you can, and cannot wear while you are in the water.

I get that some places are NOT nude beaches, and will require you to wear something. But to go the other way and tell you that you are wearing too much?
    Seriously?

What do ya think?
    "The trouble with people isn't that they don't know, but that they know so much that ain't so."
    - Anonymous

Cardi Goddess!!
    This user has no status.

I am:
    Cool

Local Date
    11-20-2017
    Local Time
    09:12 PM
    Gifts Balloons Heart Cake

Re: Burkhini?

I'd rather look at a burkini than a budgie smuggler.

Its a ridiculous ruling. They are actually a good idea given that many are worried about the risk of skin cancer nowadays. I see no problem with them at all.

gmc
    Currently Offline
    This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    11-20-2017
    Local Time
    Gifts Cocktail Car Beer

France takes secularism very seriously after the attacks in nice and elsewhere wearing the burkha and burkhina which were not actually that common before can be seen as deliberately provocative. there is always the question whether the woman is being given a choice in the matter as well.

If you moved to saudi arabia your wife would have to be very careful as to how she behaved and what she wore why is it so wrong to say to people living in europe that they should accept our social norms and values?

I'm ambivalent about burkhas. If you look at our language how much emphasis is polaced on being able to see someone's face. Meet eye to eye, look me in the eye, shifty eyed, wouldn't meet your gaze, shame faced, downcast eyes, sideways glance, looking askance, masked expressioin, honest faced etc etc. In that context covering your face so it can't be seen is, in our culture, an insult and offensive.

Not so long ago bikinis were banned on the same beaches as offensive although most males were not particularly offended religoin makes fools of us all.

posted by us
    I'd rather look at a burkini than a budgie smuggler
    I'm not particularly interested in looking at budgie smugglers either. Most males probably couldn't tell you the colour of the bikini the last woman they saw wearing one was wearing.

This user has no status.

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    11-20-2017
    Local Time
    Gifts Beer Beer FacePalm Ban Hammer Beer Beer Beer Beer

It is the 'Fear factor'.......the idea that 'They' are taking over.
    It is like when young men starting cutting their hair short, and again when they let it grow long.......but this time with knobs on.
    I have noticed that in my town there are more women wearing obvious signs they are of the Muslim persuasion, not hijabs just the hair covering scarf, at least one of these is a youngish English girl with young children. She appeared on a TV program as the odd one in the family that converted to Islam, watching her shopping recently she was throwing non halal meat into her trolley. I am not a prowler I work in the supermarket and was watching from a window overlooking the shop floor.

Anyway......my point.....it must take a lot of conviction to advertise your religion in this day and age...............unless.....it is advertised for effect......just like those long haired hippies or crew cut rebels.
    I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth

is just wandrin

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    11-20-2017
    Local Time
    01:12 PM
    Gifts Balloons Cake Gift

It sounds like old fashioned bigotry to me.

I wonder, though, what would happen if someone wearing a burkhini was carrying a snorkel mask and flippers. Would anything change?

gmc
    Currently Offline
    This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    11-20-2017
    Local Time
    Gifts Cocktail Car Beer

so what do you think of these bathing suits. Have w progressed since then?

Victorian Bathing Suits (PHOTOS)

Married women used to cover their hair in public in those days as well ( a wee hairy in glasgow parlance was and is in some quarters a derogatory term for a girl regarded as sluttish or a prostitute so identified because of the loose hair the origfin goes back to vistorian times )

If it was a estrn woman who wore a cortume like that to pleas her menfolk what would you think about it then?

is needing a vacation...

I am:
    Tired

Local Date
    11-20-2017
    Local Time
    02:12 PM
    Gifts Beer Burger Car Beer

Common sense. As my mother used to say, "Don't poke a tiger with a stick."
    Is it someone's right to wear a swimsuit with a swastika on it to a public beach?
    Sure.
    Should they?
    Oh Hell no.

Things that make people twitchy, whatever they are, are a bad idea to allow in large, community places because, sooner or later, it will cause trouble. You want to wear that in your living room? Great. You want to start a riot at the local grocery store? Not such a good idea.

Banned
    is On loan

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    11-20-2017
    Local Time

The banning of the Burkini is ridiculous. While good reason for banning the Burka in the interests of national security, there is no sense in banning a Burkini.
    In a religious sense, the Burka can be argued as covering the face and being not acceptable in today's political climate, but a woman covering her body out of modesty to her religion is something else.
    Mosques segregate their women during prayer, why not simply allow Muslim women their own times for swimming, especially when in Germany, German women are being forced to be segregated in swimming pools following migrant nuisance anyway.
    As usual, the West continue's to chase the mouse while the cat gets away.

is needing a vacation...

I am:
    Tired

Local Date
    11-20-2017
    Local Time
    02:12 PM
    Gifts Beer Burger Car Beer

Quote Originally Posted by Momus View Post
    The banning of the Burkini is ridiculous.

Oh I don't know about that. My bank makes me take off my mirrored sunglasses when I come in so that their facial recognition technology will work better. Couldn't terrorists wear burkinins to carry out an attack anonymously?

Banned
    is On loan

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    11-20-2017
    Local Time

Register to remove this ad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint_ View Post
    Oh I don't know about that. My bank makes me take off my mirrored sunglasses when I come in so that their facial recognition technology will work better. Couldn't terrorists wear burkinins to carry out an attack anonymously?
    The Burka covers the face.
    The Burkini does not.

You do understand the difference i take it ?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Burkhini?-burka.jpg   Burkhini?-burkini-561794.jpg  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast