I am:
    ----

Local Date
    10-15-2018
    Local Time
    10:15 PM
    Gifts Balloons Gift Car Cocktail Balloons Cocktail Cake

Re: Road Trip

OMG - Arlington National Cemetery is a must see. Very impressive.

This traffic is unbelievable - different world over here. We have On Star & still got turned around. Tonight We were 9 miles away from our Hotel & it took 35 minutes to arrive.

We won't be driving around NY

Tomorrow a tour of D.C.

Patsy
    P.S. I cried a few tears today - took me 3 trips to Pearl Harbor before I could tour that..

Proudly humble
    is Lost in the Ozone, again.

I am:
    Cool

Local Date
    10-15-2018
    Local Time
    11:15 PM
    Gifts Beer Balloons Gift Car Beer

Oh, NO. Don't drive in NY. It's a madhouse.
    Park your car at the hotel, and take public transportation. But even that can be an adventure. I did some work in NY and learned my way around pretty well, but when the wife and her sisters and a grandkid joined me, it was quite the adventure getting us all around.

We stayed at one of Leona's hotels, near Columbia Circle, and used taxis most of the time. We did take the subway once to get to the theater, and that was an adventure in itself.
    I hope you have a local to play tour guide.
    It may not be so much that I've conceded your point as that you just can't hear me rolling my eyes.

This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    10-16-2018
    Local Time
    06:15 AM
    Gifts Beer Beer

I know some of the story of Arlington National Cemetery - its foundation, why it is where it is and so on. I was moved to discover that the only non-American buried there is a Briton, Field Marshal Sir John Dill:

Dill served in Washington until his death from aplastic anaemia in November 1944. His funeral arrangements reflected the great professional and personal respect and affection that he had earned. A memorial service was held in Washington National Cathedral and the route of the cortege was lined by some thousands of troops, following which he was interred in Arlington National Cemetery, where a simple service was conducted at the graveside. A witness recorded that "I have never seen so many men so visibly shaken by sadness. Marshall's face was truly stricken ...". He was sorely missed by the American Joint Chiefs of Staff, who sent a fulsome message of condolence to their British colleagues:

"We feel we share equally with you the loss to our combined war effort resulting from the death of Field Marshal Sir John Dill. His character and wisdom, his selfless devotion to the allied cause, made his contribution to the combined British-American war effort of outstanding importance. It is not too much to say that probably no other individual was more responsible for the achievement of complete cooperation in the work of the Combined Chiefs of Staff.
    ... we have looked to him with complete confidence as a leader in our combined deliberations. He has been a personal friend of all of us ...
    We mourn with you the passing of a great and wise soldier, and a great gentleman. His task in this war has been well done."

He was posthumously awarded an American Distinguished Service Medal in 1944 as well as receiving an unprecedented joint resolution of the United States Congress appreciating his services. The equestrian statue on Dill's grave is one of only two at Arlington National Cemetery, the other is Major General Philip Kearny's.
    (from wikipedia)
    The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"
    Lone voice: "I'm not."

This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    10-15-2018
    Local Time
    10:15 PM
    Gifts Balloons Gift Car Cocktail Balloons Cocktail Cake

Register to remove this ad.
    New York - OMG..

Lars - We stayed in Newark NJ. Our car never left the hotel parking.
    We took hotel shuttle to NJ Penn Station - caught the "Path" train which drops you off at The World Trade Center which is Ground Zero.
    Then We had tickets for the "Hop On Hop Off" Bus. It's a double decker bus which was wonderful - We went from Ground Zero to Central Park - Time Square - Harlem - Rockafeller Center absolutely a great way to see all of NY.
    The massive amount of people & all their languages going at the same time - unbelievable. great trip.

We're in Boston - apparently Arizona had a horrible storm - Trees are uprooted etc. and our roof has been blown off - just shingles everywhere so we're going to head back.

Wonderful fun trip.
    Patsy

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2