Make these ads go away.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Life in london goes on as normal and the daily mail stamps it's foot in anger

is .

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    06-20-2018
    Local Time
    06:07 PM
    Gifts Balloons Car Gift Naughty Mag Certificate Beer Beer

Re: Life in london goes on as normal and the daily mail stamps it's foot in anger

Quote Originally Posted by Clodhopper View Post
    Since this IS a thread about life in London going on as normal, I'd just like to add my sense of pride in my city: It seems more than just propaganda that ordinary people immediately pitched in to help in the Westminster Bridge incident. Added to that a friend of mine happened to be in our local area recently when an old lady tripped on the pavement and fell, smacking her nose. Blood everywhere and she herself dazed. Every person who came past stopped to check and offer help.

I mention it because London and Londoners are often characterised as cold, unfeeling and unfriendly. I think it's not really true overall (though of course in a city of 8 million there will be some).
    and they're very different on their home patch than they are during the work run which is where most people see them.

gmc
    Currently Offline
    This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    06-20-2018
    Local Time
    Gifts Cocktail Car Beer

Re: Life in london goes on as normal and the daily mail stamps it's foot in anger

Quote Originally Posted by Clodhopper View Post
    Since this IS a thread about life in London going on as normal, I'd just like to add my sense of pride in my city: It seems more than just propaganda that ordinary people immediately pitched in to help in the Westminster Bridge incident. Added to that a friend of mine happened to be in our local area recently when an old lady tripped on the pavement and fell, smacking her nose. Blood everywhere and she herself dazed. Every person who came past stopped to check and offer help.

I mention it because London and Londoners are often characterised as cold, unfeeling and unfriendly. I think it's not really true overall (though of course in a city of 8 million there will be some).
    Genuine londoners aren't but there is a segment of the population down there that are cold unfeeling and friendly. Used to be a standing joke that you could tell tourists from the "south" of england if you said hello they would completely ignore you. Can't quite tell you where in england maybe essex round romford and places. Always wary of making sweeping genralisations though.

This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    06-20-2018
    Local Time
    Gifts Beer Beer

Quote Originally Posted by Bryn Mawr View Post
    and they're very different on their home patch than they are during the work run which is where most people see them.
    True. In many respects the whole of the City area can be seen as one big office and everything moves quicker here except the traffic

Genuine londoners aren't but there is a segment of the population down there that are cold unfeeling and friendly. Used to be a standing joke that you could tell tourists from the "south" of england if you said hello they would completely ignore you. Can't quite tell you where in england maybe essex round romford and places. Always wary of making sweeping genralisations though.
    I've wondered about that and my current theory is that it's not just one area, a lot of us are a bit that way and it's because we are somewhat desensitised. London is crowded. Always has been. As soon as you go anywhere you have people constantly inside your personal space and your defence against it is a sort of mental bubble of privacy which becomes so much a habit you don't even notice it's there. The result is you might not notice someone saying hello because you tune out so many hellos on a daily basis since they aren't aimed at you...

Then again you get tossers everywhere and in the nature of things people remember tossers much longer than they remember the friendly ones.
    The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"
    Lone voice: "I'm not."

This user has no status.

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    06-20-2018
    Local Time
    Gifts Beer Beer FacePalm Ban Hammer Beer Beer Beer Beer

Two observations.

I commuted from the suburbs into the West End and later the City for many years.
    You must never attempt eye contact, the only time people would touch was at peak times when, like cattle you had to jam yourself into already full carriages, and even then only a brief glance is acceptable, even looking out the window is dangerous............because people think you are watching their reflection.
    Large cities are the loneliest of places.

While walking in Scotland,up the hill behind my host's house, I lent on a fence to take a rest and look at the view.
    A man started walking across the field toward me, I went into London mode, wondering what he wanted, what had I done wrong, should I be there ?
    He greeted me warmly, asked if I was local, where I was staying,where I came from, and was I enjoying Scotland ? He knew my host and we spoke pleasantly for ten or more minutes. He left me hoping I enjoyed my stay.
    I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth

This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    06-20-2018
    Local Time
    Gifts Beer Cake

Register to remove this ad.
    The fact is that not only with London, but with Britain as a whole, throughout our history, terrorism & Bully-Boy tactics have always proved to have the exact opposite effect than those intended. It unites us against the opposing force. It makes us stubborn & all the more determined not to give in to what they want. If, on the other hand, they act all nicey-nicey, we can't seem to give them what they want quick enough.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2