I am:
    ----

Local Date
    04-24-2018
    Local Time
    12:12 AM
    Gifts Cocktail Car Beer

UK comedy government at it again

Britain’s post-Brexit blue passport, intended as an icon of the UK’s regained independence from Europe, is set to be manufactured by a Franco-Dutch firm, according to reports.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-a8267761.html

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-a8268316.html

Theresa May will not stop post-Brexit passports being made abroad, Downing Street says
    This is beyond farce.

This user has no status.

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    04-24-2018
    Local Time
    Gifts Beer Beer FacePalm Ban Hammer Beer Beer Beer Beer

Re: UK comedy government at it again

What about the country that lost 25 million citizens fighting Hitler's hoards being called Nazis by our gobsh*te Foreign Secretary ?
    I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth

is .

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    04-24-2018
    Local Time
    Gifts Balloons Car Gift Naughty Mag Certificate Beer Beer

Quote Originally Posted by Bruv View Post
    What about the country that lost 25 million citizens fighting Hitler's hoards being called Nazis by our gobsh*te Foreign Secretary ?
    The guy is a twit of the first order - no time for him.

gmc
    Currently Offline
    This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    04-24-2018
    Local Time
    Gifts Cocktail Car Beer

I'm more concerned about our own polioticians than what russia might be up to.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-a8269021.html

Not to mention the nutjopbs running the US - now we have john bolton as secretary of state. Anyone who thinks pre-emptive strikes are a good idea in a nuclear age is an idiot. Did mcmaster get fired for his hardline against russia?

gmc
    Currently Offline
    This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    04-24-2018
    Local Time
    Gifts Cocktail Car Beer

Large scale demonstration in edinburgh that you would think hadn't happened.

We were all at the #HOOP protest – but where was Scotland’s media? | The National

This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    04-24-2018
    Local Time
    Gifts Beer Beer

Brexiters...

On the other issue, it would be helpful if Scotland could make its position clear: If we brexit (as seems at present almost certain), will Scotland hold another Independence referendum with a view to staying in the EU or at least the single market?
    The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"
    Lone voice: "I'm not."

This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    04-24-2018
    Local Time
    Gifts Beer Cake

Quote Originally Posted by Clodhopper View Post
    Brexiters...

On the other issue, it would be helpful if Scotland could make its position clear: If we brexit (as seems at present almost certain), will Scotland hold another Independence referendum with a view to staying in the EU or at least the single market?
    The first one was a case of Independence would be definite leaving the EU (as membership was only associated with the UK) or maybe leaving the EU (as the Referendum had not yet taken place). It always struck me that the SNP was always too eager about having their Referendum & getting it in before the EU Referendum.

One thing's for sure, though. If you disregard the Scottish vote by accepting them to be Independant, then the majority Leave vote of the rest of the UK suddenly goes much higher.

This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    04-24-2018
    Local Time
    Gifts Beer Cake

Quite frankly, I don't believe for one minute that the Russians had anything to do with the Skripal business. Putin was already on a sure thing to win his vote. He didn't need the Nationalist vote by flag waving a relatively unknown traitor with nothing more to offer anyone.

The facts of the case keep falling apart.
    1. Within days they had precisely identified the toxin as being one made by the Russians.
    2. The line then changed to one of a type made by the Russians.
    3. The line then changed to one of a type being developed by the Russians (although not necessarily in production).
    4. Putin has denied it (Why? What could we do about it?) & has asked for samples so that they can run their own investigations. This request has been denied.
    5. 5 miles up the road is Porton Down - the base where the UK make their own Nerve Agents.
    6. The timing is just too convenient - weeks before what looks to be an embarassing defeat in local elections for the Tories. A bit of Flag Waving never goes amiss.
    7. The BBC were shown up to be Photoshopping a picture of Jeremy Corbyn to make him look like a Russian stooge. The BBC even had the gall to deny it had been Photoshopped, yet if you view the 2 images together, it is clear it has been.
    8. Days beforehand a Tory MP was made to admit that he lied about Corbyn having given Official Secrets to a Czech Spy - and had to pay a sizeable figure to a charity of Corbyn's choice as a settlement.

All of these are known facts. As far as I am concerned, it looks more like an inside job. After all, when it comes to killing people, the Russians are far more efficient. They keep to methods that work - like a bullet to the head, or a bomb. The whole nerve agent thing is just too bizarrely dramatic & James Bond-esque - as if it was staged to fit the populist fantasy of what it's supposedly like to live & die as a Spy.

Then there's the expulsion of 23 diplomats - immediately, just as expected, met with the expulsion of 23 UK diplomats. It's so farcical it's straight from "Yes Prime Minister".

gmc
    Currently Offline
    This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    04-24-2018
    Local Time
    Gifts Cocktail Car Beer

Quote Originally Posted by Clodhopper View Post
    Brexiters...

One of the arguments put by the unionist side at the referendum was that the only way to stay in the eu was to remain in the union. After the referendum the snp position was that it would only become an issue again if there was a material change such as the UK leaving the EU. Nicola sturgeon stated that her position was there would and could only be a second independence referendum once the terms of any brexit agreement were known. The only people who keep bringinmg up a second independencve referendum are the unionists who keep asking about it (in tye scottish parliament) and telling her to get on with the day job and the unionist press who like to pretend that the snp don't have a mandate to pursue independence. Read it for yourself.

https://www.snp.org/nicola_sturgeon_...tland_s_future

The scottish government has been excluded from the brexit discussions and the tories are trying to undermine the devolution act by taking already devolved powers back to westminster arguing they have the right to do say regardless of what the scottish parliament has to say on the matter. The scottish fishermen who voted for brexit have just had an object lesson on how much you can trust the tories they also believed the crap about how westminster would look after fishermen's intersts better than an independent scotland could.

So in summary the postion is quite clear. We have a right to hold a second referendum but will wait and see what brexit brings. The way the tories are carrying on and also labour under corbyn have made it clear that scottish affairs are of little interest - Corbyn is on record as stating that he didn't see how scotland could have a seperate legal and education system within the union this demonstrating his complete and utter ignorance of the fact that we already do have a seperate legal and education system.

https://www.holyrood.com/articles/in...olution-detail

Could you have a separate economic and legal system in different parts of the UK? I think that becomes difficult and very problematic.

"I want a Labour government that is going to legislate better working conditions for everybody across the UK."

Scotland, of course, already has a largely separate legal system with some notable exceptions, including employment law which regulates working conditions across the UK.
    labour lost so much in scotland thanks to new labour - they were increasingly seen a "tory lite" and the snp more left wing corbyn might have clawed them back now maybe not. If you really want to piss off the scots patronise them.

Bear in mind the issue is not whether the snp should govern scotland but whether we would be better off on our own. Hopefdully those who vioted no and did so because they believed what they were told by the union ists will not be so gullible next time. Sturgeon is playing a canny hand if the tories turn round and tell us we can't have a second referendum well one can opnly hope they wilo be so stupid.

Hope that helps.

posted by four part
    The first one was a case of Independence would be definite leaving the EU (as membership was only associated with the UK) or maybe leaving the EU (as the Referendum had not yet taken place). It always struck me that the SNP was always too eager about having their Referendum & getting it in before the EU Referendum.

One thing's for sure, though. If you disregard the Scottish vote by accepting them to be Independant, then the majority Leave vote of the rest of the UK suddenly goes much higher.
    Hope that answers you as well. The snp have never been too eager about having their second referendum they've always said they would wait and see the outcome. Don;t believe the daily mail or the bbc. I have nicola strurgeon being interviewed state that any refrendum would have to be once the terms were known and have the interviewer ask why was she planning to have a referndum when the brexit terms were not yet known.

NB: the snp were returned to power albeit in coalition with the greens ion the bacvk of a manifesto that had the proviso in it to have another referendum is there was a material change such as leaving the eu.

Another NB: scotlland is a nation within a supposed political union on these islands rather like the UK being a member of a political union with the EU. If england reserves the right to leave the EU because it is no longer in their interests to remain to suggest we don't have theb same chouce vis a vis the UK they can hardly turn round and say we don't have the same choice. Scottish independence terrifies the UK establishment maybe you should ask yourself why. If we are such a drain and are being subsidised by englkand through the barrett formula they would be happy to see us go. The reality is very different. you need us whether we need you is a moot point. Sadky thanks to the infkluence of ukip and the brexit campaign politicak debate has devolved on to a shouting match with those without a good case to put shouting the loudest.

Sadly I suspect it won't be until we have a privatised NHS and all the employee rights have been removed that those numpties that voted to leave the eu will finally understand what is going on.

This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    04-24-2018
    Local Time
    Gifts Beer Beer

Register to remove this ad.
    Thanks. That's very much what I hoped was the case but honestly I'm losing track of who said what when and does it still apply - especially the bit about the conditions required to trigger a 2nd Indyref. I am considering the possibility of moving to the Scottish Borders (as I think I've mentioned before). I can make some of the numbers work but at present I can't see clearly how to support myself adequately. I'm a landlord here who owns one property and rents a couple of rooms. I can't do that in the Borders, I think, and I'm not cut out to be a multi-property landlord.

Anyway, I'm looking at possibilities. It's both brexit and vibration motivated. And I suppose the idea has a whiff of adventure about it, and family legend has it we originate in the Borders. I'm a leeetle suspicious of that one since it may just be romantic Victorian legend, but it is true that all the men in the family have Angus somewhere in the name. Much cheaper to live up there too - the reduction in cost goes some way to paying for a vehicle but not all the way. Is solar power a realistic option in the s of Scotland?

Against a move is that all my friends and support mechanisms are here and even under the worst brexit scenarios the leaked gov't figures suggest London will suffer least (-2%) because we are already a multicultural global city. And that "we" is revealing. I am a Londoner now. In addition, if I go to Scotland, possible Scottish ancestors won't save me from racist abuse for being English from some. That may be worsened if many others have the same idea as me and there is a substantial English minority taking local jobs. I appreciate Scotland has a declining population issue and is looking for people but the reality of a large number of English suddenly turning up might well feel like colonisation. I can cope with it (I have in the past) but it isn't a plus factor.

Do I really feel so strongly about being deprived of my EU identity and horrified by what will happen to a brexiting UK that effective emigration is the answer? I know other Remainer friends are looking at this issue. One is out in NZ at present...

Also been looking in Dumfries and Galloway but man some of that looks remote. And bleak. But beautiful. Oddly enough I have some mountain skills (rusty as heck) and rural interests (ditto) but reliably getting enough cash... at present that's an issue. Not far off, though. And though I'm sort of coping with the vibration by gosh I'm sick of it.

I haven't decided yet. But I'll keep working on the plan.
    The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"
    Lone voice: "I'm not."

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast