I am:
    ----

Local Date
    05-23-2018
    Local Time
    11:16 PM
    Gifts Beer Beer

Re: ‘Return to three party politics’

Now that I will accept as casting doubt on the account. Interesting then to see what proof the French say they have. But yeah, hypoxia could explain the report I saw. As far as I know there is no doubt the Russians/Syrian Regime have used gas on the Syrian people on a number of occasions (even if only half the reports are true) with Chlorine used on a number of occasions and Sarin as well, according to the Turkish Gov't. I did note that Fisk (of whom I also have a high opinion) reached no firm conclusion but was definitely dubious of this particular account.

Still wouldn't trust a word RT says.
    The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"
    Lone voice: "I'm not."

This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    05-23-2018
    Local Time
    Gifts Beer Beer

Since this thread is wandering anyway I'll stick this here rather than start a new thread:

I've been thinking that in the 2 years since the ref I've not seen any reports of people changing their mind either way. This week there was even a letter about it in the New European. Then I popped along to our Tuesday evening friends in the pub night and behold! A convert! He was of the opinion that in 5 years no-one would notice anything had happened which is why he voted brexit - didn't much like the current contract and thought it worth looking for better elsewhere. Now calling for a second referendum. The only thing I got as to what had changed his mind was also very practical - he is horrified by the mess the gov't are making of it and the far right control of the process. He's from a working class family but has been found with 3 types of hummus in the fridge and is therefore middle class (that we may have put them there is a minor technical detail...)

This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    05-23-2018
    Local Time
    Gifts Beer Beer

The head of MI5 says Russia behaving very badly, has them and ISIS as the main threats to the UK:

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknew...cid=spartandhp

gmc
    Currently Offline
    This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    05-23-2018
    Local Time
    Gifts Cocktail Car Beer

It looks as if the scottish parliament will refuse to pass the eu withdrawal bill in light of westminsters attempt to remove devolved powers from both the scottish and welsh parliaments. Scotland votedv 62% to remain in the union and the snp were elected back in to power and remember we have proportional representation with a manifasto commitment that is there was a material change such as leaving the eu an indpendence referendum would be back on the table. Theresa may has refused to meet with the snp to discuss brexit and comments like that of vince cable and discussions on tyhe bbc about the resurgence of the libdems as a third party shows the attitude of westminster to scotland. It's beginnimg toi dawn on a lot of unionist what remaining in the union will mean for scotland i.e a disaster we've already seen whisky being marketed as british along with other brands noted for their scottish origins our fishermen have finally realised their fishing rights are up for grabs yet again as the tories try and get a deal. Doubt you will be aware of all this as it is not reported on the bbc or other mainstream media.

READ: Mike Russell's incredible speech in defence of Scotland's parliament | The National

gmc
    Currently Offline
    This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    05-23-2018
    Local Time
    Gifts Cocktail Car Beer

They did 93 to 30. Just to remind you the scottish parliament is elected on a PR basis unlike westminster the majority of the electorate actively voted FOR the SNP.

Indyref 2 seems more likely than ever.

This user has no status.

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    05-23-2018
    Local Time
    Gifts Beer Beer FacePalm Ban Hammer Beer Beer Beer Beer

Why the problem calling anything Scottish as British ?
    It IS Scottish British, it's widely known as scotch.
    I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth

gmc
    Currently Offline
    This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    05-23-2018
    Local Time
    Gifts Cocktail Car Beer

Quote Originally Posted by Bruv View Post
    Why the problem calling anything Scottish as British ?
    It IS Scottish British, it's widely known as scotch.
    Because it is a foodstuff whose brand has been built up as being scottish - you can't call whisky scotsh whisky unless it is actually made in scotland just as you only get champagne from the champagne region in france or bordeaux from bordeaux or cornish pasties they are what is known as a protected designation of origin within the eu one of the benefits of being in the eu. Scottish produce attracts a premium price diluting the grand will have long term detrimental effects. It does matter once we are out the eu we will not have that protection.

gmc
    Currently Offline
    This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    05-23-2018
    Local Time
    Gifts Cocktail Car Beer

I can't edit the post. The eu is a major export market for scotland one of the devolved powers westminster wants to take back is control over food labelling that's a huge potential problem when much odf the success of scottishn produce rests on the ability to market Scottish produce and provenance i.e. as scottish and not have the distinction blurred. A lot of farmers and fishermen voted to leave now they're getting worried about what brexit will bring for their industries.

This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    05-23-2018
    Local Time
    Gifts Beer Beer

Honestly so much is happening I can't keep up. Congrats to the Scots Parliament on its vote.

The Lords are sticking amendments all over brexit legislation coming their way and getting cross party support for doing so. The Irish Border question looks insoluble. It's hard to see how this government can stagger on much longer but it's equally hard to see Corbyn's lot being more coherent.

Anyone else noticed how foreign owned companies are now describing themselves as British if they have a manufacturing connection here? Just seen an advert from Vauxhall saying it had been British since 1902...

gmc
    Currently Offline
    This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    05-23-2018
    Local Time
    Gifts Cocktail Car Beer

Register to remove this ad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Clodhopper View Post
    Honestly so much is happening I can't keep up. Congrats to the Scots Parliament on its vote.

The Lords are sticking amendments all over brexit legislation coming their way and getting cross party support for doing so. The Irish Border question looks insoluble. It's hard to see how this government can stagger on much longer but it's equally hard to see Corbyn's lot being more coherent.

Anyone else noticed how foreign owned companies are now describing themselves as British if they have a manufacturing connection here? Just seen an advert from Vauxhall saying it had been British since 1902...
    I doubt very few people actually believe we have a "british" car industry any more post brexit when they all leave we will still buying the cars anyway as we have no choice in the matter. Thanks to tory refusal to tory insistance that employers should have the ability to make workers redundant when they feel like it the costs of shutting a UK factory are much less then in say france or germany. especially if we have a hard brexit I can't see the car manufacturers remaing after the useful life of their factories comes to an end.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/b...-a7162561.html

Nissan are part owned by renault and peugeot of course are wholly french. Nissan and toyota only ame to the uk because we bacame members of the eec. If they do close down what are we going to do about it? Buy skoda in protest!

Bit more about what is at stake.

http://www.thenational.scot/news/162...ustry_at_risk/

Whatever the motives of the brexiteers the best interests of the UK is not an issue only what is good for them.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast