I am:
    ----

Local Date
    06-19-2018
    Local Time
    03:38 AM
    Gifts Beer Beer

Re: ‘Return to three party politics’

For many of the same reasons I think we are all better off in the EU, I think an overarching political Union in these islands is better than separate squabbling states as a general rule. However when political union means being chained to a raving maniac (England at present) then you are better off out - especially if friendly countries are offering a very good deal in comparison. And let's face it, the choice between a multiracial multicultural Europe making progress on the world stage or an insular little bunch of deluded idiots blaming everyone else for the departure of business and industry and being ****ed over by US corporations isn't hard.

Had to laugh at a cartoon in the New European I just noticed: Concerned looking bloke just out of bed in the morning listening to the wireless. The caption is the voice of the radio announcer: "That was Thought for the Day, presented this morning as an anguished scream of despair."
    The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"
    Lone voice: "I'm not."

gmc
    Currently Offline
    This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    06-19-2018
    Local Time
    Gifts Cocktail Car Beer

There's no reaon for us to squabble after independence - remember it was david cameron that was talking about erecting custons barriers and not letting us use the pound forno good reason but just because. All the brexiteers arguments that the eu will want to trade with us and will make a deal equally apply to the scots leaving the UK. Why would you destroy your trade with scotland. You're going to have to find somewhere else for trident though just think all those jobs moving to portsmouth. Tory promises - that vow - lasted one day. Jeremy corbyn blew it spmewhat when he was up here he seemee unaware that scotland already has it's own legal and education system, it's part of the union settlement.

This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    06-19-2018
    Local Time
    Gifts Beer Beer

chuckle. You know as well as I do that Scotland and England squabbled from the moment of their foundation until Union at least. Arguably they never have stopped, it just became less fatal. And if you leave the UK to join the EU as I think you will, you will have to have some sort of proper Customs border. That opens up smuggling for a start.

Working on plan B for moving to the Borders: rent. Has many plusses and a couple of minuses but not impossible ones. Bit stuck at the moment as any plan needs money and I have none owing to the unbelievable incompetence of Kingston Housing/Jobseekers who have really been messing around a lodger of mine: all paperwork lost between departments, letters never sent (still waiting), 48hr decisions still not happened after near 2 months...it just goes on. But I reckon it's do-able and if we can sort this mess out I'll be making serious efforts. helped by the fact the vibration has got much worse in the last week.

gmc
    Currently Offline
    This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    06-19-2018
    Local Time
    Gifts Cocktail Car Beer

Not to worry democracy is alive and well in this the best of all possible brexit worlds.

Letters: Sneaking in 13 new peers is an affront to democracy | The National

IT will have passed the vast majority of people by – and dare I say it there was no coincidence in terms of its timing on the eve of the royal wedding – but last Friday the Queen approved the nomination of 13 new peers, including the creation of nine Conservative peers and at least one for the Democratic Unionist Party, in addition to three Labour appointments.

This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    06-19-2018
    Local Time
    Gifts Beer Beer

...tried to reply to this about 3 times so far without success...

Yeh, I'd noted that, and the timing of it. Still, I think it will take more than 10 to change the Lords' voting pattern. The majority against Brexit there is huge.

This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    06-19-2018
    Local Time
    Gifts Beer Cake

I think the last truly British car company to survive the Thatcher years was Reliant.

gmc
    Currently Offline
    This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    06-19-2018
    Local Time
    Gifts Cocktail Car Beer

Quote Originally Posted by FourPart View Post
    I think the last truly British car company to survive the Thatcher years was Reliant.
    That makes sense as a tory "cuts" car why have four wheels when you can save money by only having three, much more efficient.

While on the subject of unionism and in light of the referendum result in Ireland we have at it's bestthe political arm of the protestant paramilitaries

4. Arlene Foster: "Unionism is at its best when it's confident, outward-looking and welcoming. Nationalism is by its nature narrow"
    http://www.thenational.scot/news/162...omments-anchor

This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    06-19-2018
    Local Time
    Gifts Beer Cake

Quote Originally Posted by gmc View Post
    That makes sense as a tory "cuts" car why have four wheels when you can save money by only having three, much more efficient.
    Actually, the Kitten & the Scimitar had 4 wheels. Incidentally, it was a Scimitar that Princess Anne was driving when she first got done for speeding.

gmc
    Currently Offline
    This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    06-19-2018
    Local Time
    Gifts Cocktail Car Beer

Quote Originally Posted by FourPart View Post
    Actually, the Kitten & the Scimitar had 4 wheels. Incidentally, it was a Scimitar that Princess Anne was driving when she first got done for speeding.
    I know that but come on who wouldn't have wanted a three wheeled car? The kind of car that says I don't care if people laugh at me, two fingers up to the convention you need four wheels. I once saw one towing a caravan sadly in the days before phone cameras. Seriously thought about buying one under the mistaken impression they would be really cheap but they cost more than conventional cars - goodness knows why. Bring back the cv6 I say.

This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    06-19-2018
    Local Time
    Gifts Beer Beer

Register to remove this ad.
    My mother got a 3 wheeler when the 4 of us were all Primary age to take us all to school (we lived a bit out of town). One of the van ones with two seats up front and just enough space to fit 3 or 4 smallish kids in the back on the floor. It was like the Trotters' one, now I think of it. Great in theory. The catch was that we lived at the bottom of a hill outside town and the journey in was very steep up one hill, steep down the other side and then very steep up into town and that back door flew open at the slightest touch.

Nobody fell out but the car didn't last long.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast