Troy

This is our starting point. Discussions about any or all TV shows. The more popular shows will eventually have their own forum.
spot

Troy

Post by spot »

The news has been mumbling about the BBC/Netflix collaboration https://variety.com/2017/tv/news/bbc-ne ... 202646162/

In an idle moment I thought I'd just check my worst guess was short of the mark and damn right, so it was. Three minutes in, there was Paris and his family riding the ranch on horses. With saddles, bridles and stirrups.

The anachronism is out by 2,500 years at least, they might as well have had dinosaurs wandering in the background. Troy has all the crass carelessness of One Million Years BC without the excuse of reasonable ignorance. I turned it off.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
LarsMac

Troy

Post by LarsMac »

spot;1517998 wrote: The news has been mumbling about the BBC/Netflix collaboration https://variety.com/2017/tv/news/bbc-ne ... 202646162/

In an idle moment I thought I'd just check my worst guess was short of the mark and damn right, so it was. Three minutes in, there was Paris and his family riding the ranch on horses. With saddles, bridles and stirrups.

The anachronism is out by 2,500 years at least, they might as well have had dinosaurs wandering in the background. Troy has all the crass carelessness of One Million Years BC without the excuse of reasonable ignorance. I turned it off.

Are you suggesting that the Trojans did not have horses until the Greeks gave them one?
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
spot

Troy

Post by spot »

LarsMac;1517999 wrote: Are you suggesting that the Trojans did not have horses until the Greeks gave them one?

Good lord no.

To quote Wikipedia, "The stirrup was invented in China in the first few centuries AD and spread westward through the nomadic peoples of Central Eurasia. The use of paired stirrups is credited to the Chinese Jin Dynasty and came to Europe during the Middle Ages. Some argue that the stirrup was one of the basic tools used to create and spread modern civilization, possibly as important as the wheel or printing press."

Troy fell to Agamemnon around 1200 BCE.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Betty Boop

Troy

Post by Betty Boop »

Ah, I've recorded it, maybe I'll not bother watching it.

I see from the comments in your link that no one else has noticed the stirrups error.
LarsMac

Troy

Post by LarsMac »

spot;1518003 wrote: Good lord no.

To quote Wikipedia, "The stirrup was invented in China in the first few centuries AD and spread westward through the nomadic peoples of Central Eurasia. The use of paired stirrups is credited to the Chinese Jin Dynasty and came to Europe during the Middle Ages. Some argue that the stirrup was one of the basic tools used to create and spread modern civilization, possibly as important as the wheel or printing press."

Troy fell to Agamemnon around 1200 BCE.

Ah, I have never studied up on the technical history of horsemanship.

And with all the horse people in my family, not a one caught that, either.
- DH Lawrence
Clodhopper

Troy

Post by Clodhopper »

Alexander the Great had his crack Companion Cavalry which made a decisive contribution in several of his battles. All done without stirrups.
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."
tude dog

Troy

Post by tude dog »

spot;1517998 wrote: The news has been mumbling about the BBC/Netflix collaboration https://variety.com/2017/tv/news/bbc-ne ... 202646162/

You know what, I would not have noticed could hardly care as long as the story was entertaining. Just this morning I watched a western TV show which in part involved Indians on horseback. Far as I know Indians did not use saddles. Once again if one looked closely a blanket covered the saddle. It would not do to have actors falling off horses.

I never read the Iliad, but the movie seems to not follow the storyline and had other problems.

If I decide to watch any movie my only interest would be if it was entertaining. I will keep in mind that it may not be true to the book.

User Reviews
What happened to Kamala Harris' campaign?
She had the black vote all locked up.
LarsMac

Troy

Post by LarsMac »

tude dog;1518058 wrote: You know what, I would not have noticed could hardly care as long as the story was entertaining. Just this morning I watched a western TV show which in part involved Indians on horseback. Far as I know Indians did not use saddles. Once again if one looked closely a blanket covered the saddle. It would not do to have actors falling off horses.

I never read the Iliad, but the movie seems to not follow the storyline and had other problems.

If I decide to watch any movie my only interest would be if it was entertaining. I will keep in mind that it may not be true to the book.

User Reviews

Yeah, I like entertaining, too,but there is that part of me that twitches when things are off the mark, technically or historically.

(like when a spaceship stops moving because they used up all their fuel. )

Or, yeah, injuns using saddles. Or the guy in a Daniel Boone story using a Colt Peacemaker.
- DH Lawrence
FourPart

Troy

Post by FourPart »

LarsMac;1518063 wrote: Yeah, I like entertaining, too,but there is that part of me that twitches when things are off the mark, technically or historically.

(like when a spaceship stops moving because they used up all their fuel. )

Or, yeah, injuns using saddles. Or the guy in a Daniel Boone story using a Colt Peacemaker.

Or hearing an explosion in space. That always gets me too.
spot

Troy

Post by spot »

FourPart;1518118 wrote: Or hearing an explosion in space. That always gets me too.

That's the electromagnetic pulse hitting your spacecraft and flexing the joints.
LarsMac

Troy

Post by LarsMac »

That is part of how I judge a movie, by how well it entertained enough to keep me distracted from the plot holes, and scientific/hostoric anomalies.
- DH Lawrence
Betty Boop

Troy

Post by Betty Boop »

First episode kept me entertained enough to see it through.
FourPart

Troy

Post by FourPart »

The way I judge a movie is how well you can follow it merely by listening to it. Gone are the days of movies having a decent script. They are primarily now made of long scenes of time filling walking, special effects & cars veering off the road to run into convenienting stacked empty cardboard boxes which seem to appear at the most unexpected places, for no reason whatsoever.

Give me a good Radio Play any day.

Return to “General TV Shows”