Science teacher Peter Harvey arrested over 'attempted murder' of schoolboy

Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Thanks Oscar....we posted at the same time.....

I can't even think straight right now....working in yard it's 91F/33C..... I'll have to read about OFSTED after I've put the air con on....man it's hot, hot, hot.... Last night it was freezing:thinking:
Rapunzel

Post by Rapunzel »

spot;1216189 wrote: My comment was in response to "New Labour have systematically destroyed the rights of teachers to protect themselves over the past ten years. Are you suggesting that it is acceptable for a child to attack a member of staff with no conseqence for their actions yet if the teacher raises a hand in self defence, they are charged by the police?."

A police response to a child attacking a member of staff shows that there's a consequence for the child's actions. The other two statements in what Oscar said I equally don't believe and also gave citations to show otherwise.

It's not so much clarification that's needed as following the thread trail back carefully.

Thankyou Spot, it is a confusing trail.

"A police response to a child attacking a member of staff shows that there's a consequence for the child's actions."

My response to this was that there ARE NO consequences. The police can only arrest, warn and release. Juveniles cannot be punished unless what they have done is totally horrendous e.g., murder or a multlplicity of crimes. The only alternatives are suspension and/or expulsion, both of which means the child turns up at the end of the school day to see his mates and cause havoc outside the school gates.
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Kathy Ellen;1216205 wrote: Thanks Oscar....we posted at the same time.....

I can't even think straight right now....working in yard it's 91F/33C..... I'll have to read about OFSTED after I've put the air con on....man it's hot, hot, hot.... Last night it was freezing:thinking: It's cold her Kathy, i'm just about to put the heating on. You wouldn't think that this is summer here :wah:

The Ofsted report can in some cases mean additional funding for schools. This is why many schools will seek to protect their OFSTED report, to keep that funding.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Rapunzel;1216207 wrote: Thankyou Spot, it is a confusing trail.

"A police response to a child attacking a member of staff shows that there's a consequence for the child's actions."

My response to this was that there ARE NO consequences. The police can only arrest, warn and release. Juveniles cannot be punished unless what they have done is totally horrendous e.g., murder or a multlplicity of crimes. The only alternatives are suspension and/or expulsion, both of which means the child turns up at the end of the school day to see his mates and cause havoc outside the school gates.
Yes, you are correct Rap. Whatever guidelines and proceedure is cut and pasted on here, the harsh reality of life is that our police are already dangerousley under funded and under-manned. They certainly do not come out willy nilly to schools to deal with a disruptive pupil. As i said before, the police only come in once the child has a catalogue of disruptive behaviour that has culminated into a violent act. If the police were coming into schools every five minutes, we'd have no police on the streets. I posted a link from the Teachers Union earlier that proves our point that many many violent acts go unreported in schools. One of the reasons is to protect the OFSTED report and future funding.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

oscar;1216208 wrote: It's cold her Kathy, i'm just about to put the heating on. You wouldn't think that this is summer here :wah:

The Ofsted report can in some cases mean additional funding for schools. This is why many schools will seek to protect their OFSTED report, to keep that funding.

I think that your weather is really crazy Oscar. I don't think that I've ever heard of so much snow in Ireland and UK this winter. We had very little...just some ice storms. Now you have to put the heat on after some lovely weeks of sunshine and heat????

Our State monitors our schools at least once a year.
spot

Post by spot »

Anyone want to follow the trial? It's started.

BBC News - Teacher Peter Harvey 'beat pupil while shouting die'

BBC News - Pupil attacked by Mansfield teacher 'was disruptive'

BBC News - Teacher Peter Harvey 'thought he had killed' pupil

BBC News - Pupil assault teacher Peter Harvey 'charismatic'

A science teacher beat a pupil around the head with a dumbbell while shouting "die, die, die", a court heard. Peter Harvey, 50, hit the 14-year-old boy with a 3kg weight at All Saints' Roman Catholic School, Mansfield, a jury heard. He denies attempted murder and causing grievous bodily harm (GBH) with intent, but has admitted a charge of GBH.

Nottingham Crown Court was told students were filmed calling Mr Harvey a "psycho" moments before the attack. Another pupil was filming as Mr Harvey tried to restore discipline.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
spot

Post by spot »

Well well. Cleared of attempted murder, guilty of GBH without intent, a non-custodial sentence to be passed later.

BBC News - Teacher Peter Harvey cleared of attempting to kill boy

I hope the wretched man's decided on an alternative career, he doesn't seem to have coped well with teaching.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

The man was unwell, it happens.

Why was it clear to pupils but not to his colleagues ?
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
Bill Sikes

Post by Bill Sikes »

Bruv;1306694 wrote: The man was unwell, it happens.

Why was it clear to pupils but not to his colleagues ?

It was clear to his colleagues. He had "returned to work after being signed off with depression and stress for several months". It says that in the BBC news article posted.

It would have been perfectly clear to the pupils, too - the nasty little swine decided to have a go at him so that when he "broke" he could be filmed, and that film circulated.

One wonders about the running of All Saints' school. They allow mobile telephones, video recorders, etc. in class, and take no action against pupils like these? It's a literal shame.

http://www.allsaints.notts.sch.uk/

http://www.ofsted.gov.uk/oxedu_reports/ ... 327819.pdf
spot

Post by spot »

That's what British juries are for, when all's said and done. This one decided the little toerag got exactly what he asked for. Who's to say they called it wrong.
Bill Sikes

Post by Bill Sikes »

Result: He's been given a two-year community order.
spot

Post by spot »

One hopes he can put it all behind him now. It can't have been his anticipated exit from his chosen career.

Return to “Societal Issues News”