Lon

The Suicide Tourist

Post by Lon »

Good film re: Assisted Suicide

FRONTLINE: the suicide tourist: introduction | PBS
K.Snyder

The Suicide Tourist

Post by K.Snyder »

The obvious first steps in bringing assisted death to fruition is to stop prosecuting people for assisting people in their travels to other countries that allow it.

On that, I can't for the life of me know why anyone would want to deny someone the right to end their memories that overshadow an otherwise happy life. It's not the people that are against it. It's the corporations that stand to lose money because of it. If enough people stand up then this can be changed.

The numbers show that a significant majority wants the right to end their life which is the only way anyone with an ounce of intelligence could go about asking the question. No one would assume anyone wishes to end their life as a first option.

The only debate in my mind is how the people can join together in bringing about a law that speaks in favor of the majority. It's never been a problem before so what's the hold up?
librtyhead

The Suicide Tourist

Post by librtyhead »

I cannot see what the big problem is. if a person REALLY wants to do themselves in, there are many ways that are painless. To me this is just a cry to go out of this world with as much pomp and circumstance as possible. Just jump off a cliff, if you cannot walk get in a garage with a car running, take a bunch of sleeping pills........geez!
Snowfire

The Suicide Tourist

Post by Snowfire »

librtyhead;1313681 wrote: I cannot see what the big problem is. if a person REALLY wants to do themselves in, there are many ways that are painless. To me this is just a cry to go out of this world with as much pomp and circumstance as possible. Just jump off a cliff, if you cannot walk get in a garage with a car running, take a bunch of sleeping pills........geez!

I dont get the pomp and ceromony you suggest. I just understand dignity. Where's the dignity in a family member finding you body in the garage with the engine running ? Wheres the dignity in having your body scraped from the floor after a jump ? Whats wrong with going silently and peacefully and without pain, on a hospital bed, with a loved one holding your hand ?........geez !
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
librtyhead

The Suicide Tourist

Post by librtyhead »

Snowfire;1313687 wrote: I dont get the pomp and ceromony you suggest. I just understand dignity. Where's the dignity in a family member finding you body in the garage with the engine running ? Wheres the dignity in having your body scraped from the floor after a jump ? Whats wrong with going silently and peacefully and without pain, on a hospital bed, with a loved one holding your hand ?........geez !

That is also possible, people have been doing it for years. If you want to die you can go in any number of ways. Do you really need a court order? Or some law to say it's OK? Or is it only moral if a law says it is.
K.Snyder

The Suicide Tourist

Post by K.Snyder »

librtyhead;1313690 wrote: That is also possible, people have been doing it for years. If you want to die you can go in any number of ways. Do you really need a court order? Or some law to say it's OK? Or is it only moral if a law says it is.

Fine, hypothetically let's suggest that then. Then just what are people that are unable to move do? Those paralyzed and still in very much physical, mental, and spiritual pain do? Shall we ignore them simply because the majority of people are fully capable of "doing themselves in" as opposed to helpless? Where are your numbers that show the majority of those wishing to end their misery are fully capable of doing so? And when those attempt to kill themselves fail due to being far weaker than they'd judged that somehow is an acceptable answer to an innate problem?

I presume your premise is based off of a religious belief "no one should end their own life regardless of suffering and torment", as awfully stupid as it is. What's the equation to your "logic" when adding misery to an already assumed sum total exactly? Perhaps misery is a virtue of yours. I'd recently engaged in a thread entitled "Celebrities In Secret Societies And Satanism" perhaps you'd like a look?

If you'd managed to look up the numbers of those unable to end their own life compared to those fully capable perhaps you've come to the divine conclusion such is irrelevant given the already prevalent number of those completely incapable.

Then what are we to do with technical records? We jail those people that have acted upon the request of the suffering to end their misery? What's civilized about that?

You've the empathy of a gnat, and for what? To appear as being "intelligent" enough to lie about knowing the moral certainty of "Life" on the face of thought completely oblivious to the insult of all subconscious knowledge? This isn't "evolutionary" that which defines you but religious hogwash
librtyhead

The Suicide Tourist

Post by librtyhead »

K.Snyder;1313775 wrote: Fine, hypothetically let's suggest that then. Then just what are people that are unable to move do? Those paralyzed and still in very much physical, mental, and spiritual pain do? Shall we ignore them simply because the majority of people are fully capable of "doing themselves in" as opposed to helpless? Where are your numbers that show the majority of those wishing to end their misery are fully capable of doing so? And when those attempt to kill themselves fail due to being far weaker than they'd judged that somehow is an acceptable answer to an innate problem?

I presume your premise is based off of a religious belief "no one should end their own life regardless of suffering and torment", as awfully stupid as it is. What's the equation to your "logic" when adding misery to an already assumed sum total exactly? Perhaps misery is a virtue of yours. I'd recently engaged in a thread entitled "Celebrities In Secret Societies And Satanism" perhaps you'd like a look?

If you'd managed to look up the numbers of those unable to end their own life compared to those fully capable perhaps you've come to the divine conclusion such is irrelevant given the already prevalent number of those completely incapable.

Then what are we to do with technical records? We jail those people that have acted upon the request of the suffering to end their misery? What's civilized about that?

You've the empathy of a gnat, and for what? To appear as being "intelligent" enough to lie about knowing the moral certainty of "Life" on the face of thought completely oblivious to the insult of all subconscious knowledge? This isn't "evolutionary" that which defines you but religious hogwash

......You have gone from the suicide tourist to the more fantastic "mercy killing" with as many words as could possibly stumble out of your ear after a swim. To conclude any "religious" connotations is certainly your own interpretation of the situation and invalidates any further intelligent input on your part. With every situation there is surely a solution.

You have added your own insidious definition with your comedy of effort to invalidate my empathy. That is your folly and disgrace...........Fluff and feathers.
Lon

The Suicide Tourist

Post by Lon »

There are people who other than being able to nod their head or blink their eyes in agreement that they wish to end their life, are otherwise physically incapable of taking their own life and require assistance. These are the people to whom we address.
librtyhead

The Suicide Tourist

Post by librtyhead »

Lon;1313863 wrote: There are people who other than being able to nod their head or blink their eyes in agreement that they wish to end their life, are otherwise physically incapable of taking their own life and require assistance. These are the people to whom we address.

Then I do agree they should be able to get release from life if that is their wish. Suffering should not last an eternity.
K.Snyder

The Suicide Tourist

Post by K.Snyder »

librtyhead;1313862 wrote: ......You have gone from the suicide tourist to the more fantastic "mercy killing" with as many words as could possibly stumble out of your ear after a swim. To conclude any "religious" connotations is certainly your own interpretation of the situation and invalidates any further intelligent input on your part. With every situation there is surely a solution.

You have added your own insidious definition with your comedy of effort to invalidate my empathy. That is your folly and disgrace...........Fluff and feathers.

No you've defied ending misery with the definition of torture. It's assisted death, get your definitions right then you might make sense.

Return to “Films Cinema Forum”