I love caramel apples, don't you?

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
Snooz

Post by Snooz »

They sell them at the grocery store around this time of year and I always pick some up when I go shopping.

Look at this beauty, doesn't it make your mouth water?

I called the store and suggested they start putting dates on their apples. The girl on the phone asked where they sold them, the bakery?

Anyone ever see Idiocracy? :yh_rotfl
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

Are they Toffee apples in English ?

They look bad to me.

I much prefer caramelised onions, or fried as we call them over here.
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

Is the brown the apple, or do they inject the caramel in or something :thinking: That one would end up in the bin here :wah:
Snooz

Post by Snooz »

"Caramelization (British English: also caramelisation) is the browning of sugar, a process used extensively in cooking for the resulting nutty flavor and brown color. As the process occurs, volatile chemicals are released, producing the characteristic caramel flavor." Why add another word to the mix when "caramel" should be readily understood? Jesus, you Brits and your high-falutin' words. Toffee sounds like some effete flavored coffee that leaves a bad taste in your mouth, like hazelnut. Blech.
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

I don't think your kind of apples have made it here, we only see toffee or chocolate coated apples.
Snooz

Post by Snooz »

Betty Boop;1372593 wrote: Is the brown the apple, or do they inject the caramel in or something :thinking: That one would end up in the bin here :wah:

I believe the brown part is rot and the green is mold. I guess I could have nibbled around the edges.
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

SnoozeAgain;1372597 wrote: I believe the brown part is rot and the green is mold. I guess I could have nibbled around the edges.

That'll teach me to go with my first gut instinct that you were being sarcastic :wah:

I wouldn't nibble round the edges, I'd just lick the caramel off :D
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

SnoozeAgain;1372595 wrote: "Caramelization (British English: also caramelisation) is the browning of sugar, a process used extensively in cooking for the resulting nutty flavor and brown color. As the process occurs, volatile chemicals are released, producing the characteristic caramel flavor." Why add another word to the mix when "caramel" should be readily understood? Jesus, you Brits and your high-falutin' words. Toffee sounds like some effete flavored coffee that leaves a bad taste in your mouth, like hazelnut. Blech.

I resemble that Brit remark.

Anything with sugar content can be caramelised

The picture you have shown is not what I would know as either a caramelised or toffee apple. I would see caramilised apples as apple cooked in their own juices with the addition of sugar so they have a soft sticky toffee like coating.

Caramel is a confection along the lines of toffee but with a softer chewable texture rather than the brittle texture of the toffee used in toffee apples.

Toffee apples linky

Toffee linky

Caramelised onions linky
Snooz

Post by Snooz »

Now, THIS is a lovely caramel apple:

Gourmet Caramel Apples - Chocolate Dunked and Candy Coated Gifts, Set of 2 White Chocolate with Cinnamon Pecans: Amazon.com: Grocery & Gourmet Food

And my apologies, I didn't realize there was a difference between toffee and caramel until I looked it up:

Toffee and caramel are similar in color and flavor, but are different in two main ways—butter content and final cooking temperature—explain Bruce Weinstein and Mark Scarbrough, creators of the “Ultimate” cookbook series, which includes The Ultimate Candy Book.

“Toffee is basically sugar and butter,” they write in an email. “Caramel is sugar and cream or milk, with butter occasionally in the mix.” To make toffee crunchy, it is cooked to 300 degrees Fahrenheit, while caramel stays smooth when cooked to about 248 degrees Fahrenheit (but hardens at around 270 degrees).

“To get that chewy, gooey texture of caramel, you have to add a liquid, like milk, cream, or condensed milk,” says Christina McCoy Cohn, co-owner of the Nashville Toffee Company in Tennessee. Because caramel is cooked to a lower temperature, it retains some of the moisture from these liquids, creating a softer texture, says Doug Simons, president of the Enstrom’s candy company.

On a microscopic level, Simons says, you’re creating two types of sugar crystals by cooking the candies differently. In toffee, you get short-grain crystals, which make the candy break easily, whereas caramel’s long-grain crystals enable it to bend.

Source
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

SnoozeAgain;1372590 wrote: They sell them at the grocery store around this time of year and I always pick some up when I go shopping.

Look at this beauty, doesn't it make your mouth water?

I called the store and suggested they start putting dates on their apples. The girl on the phone asked where they sold them, the bakery?

Anyone ever see Idiocracy? :yh_rotfl

NO

It looks like something has crawled In there and died.

Sorry Shrug
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
ellieR

Post by ellieR »

I remember buying caramels wrapped in paper and then unwrapping them, putting them in a sauce pan on the stove until they melted together. I bought apples and little sticks to put into the apple and then dip them into the caramel. Then you place them on waxed paper until they were cool. They are sticky but the children seem to like them a lot.
Snooz

Post by Snooz »

I'm a child at heart.

That's what these are but the nuts on the bottom make them less of a mess to eat. I could make them myself but I'm basically a very lazy person.
along-for-the-ride

Post by along-for-the-ride »

I used to love 'em.

How to Make Delicious Caramel Apples

Attached files
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

Yes, make them yourself!
Snooz

Post by Snooz »

along-for-the-ride;1372632 wrote: I used to love 'em.

Man, those look GOOD! Double dipped in caramel and chocolate with sea salt topping. That sounds really interesting.
Oscar Namechange

along-for-the-ride;1372632 wrote: I used to love 'em.

We'll have none of that American Malarky here In England thank you very much. We have laws about the misuse of apples and I am sure these breach Article 8, section 4 of the misuse of apples law.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Snooz

Post by Snooz »

You should see what we do with carrots.
Oscar Namechange

SnoozeAgain;1372640 wrote: You should see what we do with carrots.

English law states that carrots must only be peeled and boiled as a side vegetable with roast beef. To use a carrot In any other manner carries a fine of £60. Carrots must not be displayed In the street and when purchasing, must be wrapped In a brown paper bag.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

SnoozeAgain;1372640 wrote: You should see what we do with carrots.

I have heard.........

My Mum used to make real Toffee apples, ordinary granulated sugar in a saucepan with a little water, boiled until a golden brown. Then dipped the apples attached to whittled sticks supplied by my Dad from kindling wood, allowed to cool on grease paper.

None of that caramel, chocolate or nut nonsense.............real toffee apples they are.
theia

Post by theia »

I looked at the photo and read the OP. I thought the apple looked quite unappetizing but then I decided that the green bits in the middle must be sprigs of sage. To make matters worse I thought that you meant "dates" as in the fruit, Snooze. Unsurprisingly the rest of the thread made little sense to me.

I'll get my coat...
Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

umm after seeing that first pick ....eeewwhhhhhh!!!! grosse . that's not how we make carameled apples . wha the heck is the black bit in the centre of them?
Oscar Namechange

fuzzywuzzy;1372737 wrote: umm after seeing that first pick ....eeewwhhhhhh!!!! grosse . that's not how we make carameled apples . wha the heck is the black bit in the centre of them? Dead cockroaches.
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

ooowwwhhhhh...OSCAR!!!!!
Oscar Namechange

fuzzywuzzy;1372745 wrote: ooowwwhhhhh...OSCAR!!!!!

WHAT ???

Could be worse... I could have said live cockroaches.
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

yeah good point . We make our apples into desserts (except for toffee apples....my children have had about three in their life time. )
ButterflyPrincess

Post by ButterflyPrincess »

ahhh that is gross! =/ ohh i would have bitched to no end!

I've never cut open the apple before eating it... now I will start doing that...

Return to “General Chit Chat”