Accountable

Income Inequality

Post by Accountable »

What say you?
LarsMac

Income Inequality

Post by LarsMac »

I can't disagree, entirely.

There will always be inequality at some level. I am all for guys who work really hard getting more stuff than the guys who screw around and don't do anything productive.

However, I also believe that every kid should have a shot at life, and just because your parents are lazy shits shouldn't mean you have to die from malnutrition or some easily curable disease.

It doesn't mean that a kid should have to settle for a poor education, and never have a chance at higher education.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Lon

Income Inequality

Post by Lon »

Inequality of income can be caused by many things such as inequality of intelligence, inequality of ambition, physical inequalities, inequalities of birth place, inequality of opportunity, educational inequality.*

As long as there is some means of purchasing goods and services (money/beads/shells) there are those that will have more than others and some less and that in my opinion is the way it should be.
Ahso!

Income Inequality

Post by Ahso! »

Americans have a f%@ked up way of thinking. I'm amazed so many cannot see past their nose.

That comment is not directed toward any one particular member of FG, BTW. Rick Santorum is probably more liberal than Obama, but like most politicians he refuse to show his true face.

I read an article the other day where while Santorum was pushing for caps of $250,000.00 on jury awards his wife was in the process of suing a chiropractor for $500,000.00. Rick testified on his wife's behalf claiming the adjustments she received from the chiropractor caused her to gain weight thus making her less appealing to voters in her endeavors to assist in his reelection campaign. What a hypocrite.
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Accountable

Income Inequality

Post by Accountable »

:wah: Sounds like rationalization to me.
yaaarrrgg

Income Inequality

Post by yaaarrrgg »

Santorum is of course implying that the level of compensation a person gets is directly proportional to their contribution to society.

Is that based on reality, or did he just make that up?

If he looked at the larger economic picture he might be more accurate to say that compensation is inversely proportional to contribution to society. Workers in China and third world countries probably work more than me, but make less money. On Santorum's reasoning, they ought to be making more money than me. I depend on their products more than they depend on my work.

Meanwhile the Saudi oil princes are making billions from the dumb luck of what they sat in.

:)
Scrat

Income Inequality

Post by Scrat »

All I want from my society is the opportunity to provide for me and mine as I see fit. I now live in a society that is heading for the 3rd world and I dare say is no longer in the 1st world category. Santorum is just babbling to his listeners in this piece, saying what he thinks they want to hear.

It's not worth discussing beyond that. Nothing is going to change unless the system as we know it is thrown out and we start all over.
koan

Income Inequality

Post by koan »

White collar crime is responsible for a lot of income inequality and causes a lot of the crime that poor people are incarcerated for.

Income is not a reflection of how hard a person works or how talented they are. A lot of managers are there from nepotism or because they had the right friends. There is a lot of ineptitude getting rewarded with high salaries. The problem is that we insist on thinking someone's net worth in the bank is the same as their net worth as a person.
gmc

Income Inequality

Post by gmc »

It's not about income inequality it's about inequality of opportunity.

The rich, especially in america it seems nowadays, have always acted to prevent the poor getting the same opportunities they give to their own children. If the poor demand better wages they are getting above their station, if they demand a greater share of the wealth their labour generates they are lazy and greedy, if they demand universal access to healthcare regardless of income they are asking for something they have no right to ask of the government they elect and pay for. They pass laws to ensure only the rich can stand for election. Some are born to be poor some born to be rich, all that's lacking is for him to say god made him rich and it's god's will the poor are poor, the rich man in his mansion and the poor one in his homeless shelter all is for the best in the best of all countries.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. That to secure these rights, governments are instituted among men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. That whenever any form of government becomes destructive to these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their safety and happiness.

Whose safety whose happiness and who gets to decide? They only get away with it if the people let them or they convince enough they don't really run the place and everybody should thank a wealth maker for their jobs, corporate feudalism at it's best. I really don't understand why Americans aren't very angry at the mess they are in.
LarsMac

Income Inequality

Post by LarsMac »

gmc;1385153 wrote: It's not about income inequality it's about inequality of opportunity.
There is SOME truth to that globally.

gmc;1385153 wrote: The rich, especially in america it seems nowadays, have always acted to prevent the poor getting the same opportunities they give to their own children. If the poor demand better wages they are getting above their station, if they demand a greater share of the wealth their labour generates they are lazy and greedy, if they demand universal access to healthcare regardless of income they are asking for something they have no right to ask of the government they elect and pay for. They pass laws to ensure only the rich can stand for election. Some are born to be poor some born to be rich, all that's lacking is for him to say god made him rich and it's god's will the poor are poor, the rich man in his mansion and the poor one in his homeless shelter all is for the best in the best of all countries.

Whose safety whose happiness and who gets to decide? They only get away with it if the people let them or they convince enough they don't really run the place and everybody should thank a wealth maker for their jobs, corporate feudalism at it's best. I really don't understand why Americans aren't very angry at the mess they are in.

This is NOT an American issue. It is a global issue. It does seem to make hypocrites of much of the US population, at the moment, but it is not even slightly limited to the US.

Them that have work very hard at keeping what they have at the expense of them that haven't.

That, sadly, is human nature.
- DH Lawrence
Scrat

Income Inequality

Post by Scrat »

Take a look at this and compare. Talk about the pot calling the kettle black.

Inefficiency and inequality hold Russia back | Russia Beyond The Headlines
gmc

Income Inequality

Post by gmc »

LarsMac;1385169 wrote: There is SOME truth to that globally.

This is NOT an American issue. It is a global issue. It does seem to make hypocrites of much of the US population, at the moment, but it is not even slightly limited to the US.

Them that have work very hard at keeping what they have at the expense of them that haven't.

True it is a global issue but the states seems to be the only country where criticising corporations is somehow taboo. I'm allowed to call David Cameron bankers thieving bastards and most of my countrymen would understand exactly what I mean.
Accountable

Income Inequality

Post by Accountable »

gmc;1385182 wrote: True it is a global issue but the states seems to be the only country where criticising corporations is somehow taboo. I'm allowed to call David Cameron bankers thieving bastards and most of my countrymen would understand exactly what I mean.
Talk about taboo! The Supreme Court has performed magic by animating inanimate objects. They've taken corporations and turned them into people!!
Scrat

Income Inequality

Post by Scrat »

It seems it's more of a question of what is enough? It's human nature to want power over the world around you, to control your destiny. People wonder why Hitler did what he did. At the basest level he did what humans do, he sought to control the world around him. He sought to control his destiny. To ultimately leave a mark in history which he certainly did.

What is going too far, what is too much and what is not enough? I think that the world in general has been wallowing in greed for far too long. What to do about it? Highly regulated Soviet style government is not the answer, it's a spooky thought that everything could be taken care of for me. It doesn't work because people do become lazy. Our style of capitalism apparently doesn't work either, it strips us of our humanity. We become primitive.
SOLAR_FLARE

Income Inequality

Post by SOLAR_FLARE »

What I don't understand is why people around the world think Americans are not pissed off about this. Or why they think talking against corporations is ....taboo? Really? Am I living in some parallel America? Some twilight zone America where every single person is pissed off and thinks corporations are scum? Where does everyone get this?
Lon

Income Inequality

Post by Lon »

gmc;1385182 wrote: True it is a global issue but the states seems to be the only country where criticising corporations is somehow taboo. I'm allowed to call David Cameron bankers thieving bastards and most of my countrymen would understand exactly what I mean.

Where did you get the idea that criticizing corporations was taboo in the U.S? It is done daily in all the media.
LarsMac

Income Inequality

Post by LarsMac »

Accountable;1385189 wrote: Talk about taboo! The Supreme Court has performed magic by animating inanimate objects. They've taken corporations and turned them into people!!

Except, it seems, when it comes time to pay taxes.
- DH Lawrence
Scrat

Income Inequality

Post by Scrat »

I can't give this guy any respect. He's just saying what his audience wants to hear.

LiveLeak.com - Santorum on euthanasia in the Netherlands
gmc

Income Inequality

Post by gmc »

Lon;1385280 wrote: Where did you get the idea that criticizing corporations was taboo in the U.S? It is done daily in all the media.

I don't habitually watch american TV, my opinion is based on some of the fox news stuff - how about the new muppets movie as being anti-capitalist, that gets posted on you tube and also quite a few of the posts on here. Corporations are people for instance, documentaries like gasland, food inc, mountain top clearance and other documentaries. It seems for all the much vaunted freedom and liberty ordinary people are powerless against big companies who control government and stop legislation that would protect people from exploitation and the environment from destruction.

posted by scrat

I can't give this guy any respect. He's just saying what his audience wants to hear.

Why on earth would people believe nonsense like that? It's like the death lists of the NHS brought up during the healthcare debate. Do Americans really think we would tolerate something like that. He's the one that wants to ban contraception is he not? why would anyone vote for him.

The first comment says it all

Do USA only have braindead people who run for president ?
Scrat

Income Inequality

Post by Scrat »

Why on earth would people believe nonsense like that?

Because they're nutjobs, that's who he's speaking to in the interview. Your average American wouldn't believe a word he said BUT no average American would call him on it in any meaningful manner. The media isn't going to say a word, maybe the dumocrats will bring it to light.

Above all, most Americans don't give a damn. Most Americans are simply trying to get by, they don't have time for much else.
gmc

Income Inequality

Post by gmc »

Scrat;1385387 wrote: Because they're nutjobs, that's who he's speaking to in the interview. Your average American wouldn't believe a word he said BUT no average American would call him on it in any meaningful manner. The media isn't going to say a word, maybe the dumocrats will bring it to light.

Above all, most Americans don't give a damn. Most Americans are simply trying to get by, they don't have time for much else.

Actually I can understand why most Americans don't care what happens in other countries and will believe any rubbish that reinforces their prejudices any more than most Europeans don't really care what you do about healthcare etc. it's just some of your candidates would be seen as nut jobs in most civilised european countries. Why is euthanasia in a foreign country a topic for discussion by a presidential candidate in the first place? If someone wants to take their own life and makes the decision freely but also needs help to do it they should have that choice.

I would have thought mass unemployment and people starving on your streets or dying because they can't afford medical care would be far more important.

Return to “Societal Issues News”