Keeping Trespassers Out

General humor & jokes. Share funny photos and jokes. Must be "R" rated or below.
Cascadian

Keeping Trespassers Out

Post by Cascadian »

So we had dinner with another retired couple who own 25 acres with a large private pond and woodlands that is currently being plagued with trespassers on ATVs, hikers, bird hunters, and fishermen.

They fantasize about setting up traps and buying several guard dogs to run loose on the property but figure they'll have to settle for NO TRESPASSING signs that might actually have a chance of working.

Since we'd been drinking, we agreed that some of the funny ones on Google Images might be a good start and appeal to people's better instincts:

* Is There Life After Death? Jump the Fence and Find Out

* Pit Bull With Aids on Property

* Trespassers Will Be Prostituted

* Trespassers Will Be Handed Over to the Police, One Body Part at a Time

* Turn Around Now, Your GPS is Wrong

* Entry Fee: $500 a Day, Apply at House

* We Raise Barkless Dobermans on the Premises

How are private properties posted in other countries? Any other good ideas?
fuzzywuzzy

Keeping Trespassers Out

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

Our laws are a bit strange that way ...You're not tresspassing until the owner of the property tells you to leave .Otherwise it is assumed that you have every right to be on anyones property.
Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

Keeping Trespassers Out

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Cascadian;1387468 wrote: So we had dinner with another retired couple who own 25 acres with a large private pond and woodlands that is currently being plagued with trespassers on ATVs, hikers, bird hunters, and fishermen.

They fantasize about setting up traps and buying several guard dogs to run loose on the property but figure they'll have to settle for NO TRESPASSING signs that might actually have a chance of working.

Since we'd been drinking, we agreed that some of the funny ones on Google Images might be a good start and appeal to people's better instincts:

* Is There Life After Death? Jump the Fence and Find Out

* Pit Bull With Aids on Property

* Trespassers Will Be Prostituted

* Trespassers Will Be Handed Over to the Police, One Body Part at a Time

* Turn Around Now, Your GPS is Wrong

* Entry Fee: $500 a Day, Apply at House

* We Raise Barkless Dobermans on the Premises

How are private properties posted in other countries? Any other good ideas?

A difficult problem.

We're so used to the idea of the right to roam that thinking about defending the boundaries of a private estate is difficult.

From the 1932 mass trespass on Kinder Scout we've inherited this masterpiece :-

Ewan MacColl The Manchester Rambler - YouTube
fuzzywuzzy

Keeping Trespassers Out

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

Isnt it in Scotland where there is a gated and fenced property in an effort to bring back the natural flora and fauna ? Lots have complained about that . (right to roam thing)
Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

Keeping Trespassers Out

Post by Bryn Mawr »

fuzzywuzzy;1387481 wrote: Isnt it in Scotland where there is a gated and fenced property in an effort to bring back the natural flora and fauna ? Lots have complained about that . (right to roam thing)

Scotland is, as usual, ahead of us and have implemented the right to roam to a much greater extent.

Obviously there are conditions where people cannot be given unlimited access to property but I'd have thought they were rare.
Snooz

Keeping Trespassers Out

Post by Snooz »

But most of your trespassers are just walkers, aren't they? We get people on all terrain vehicles tearing up the ground, littering, defecating and urinating and generally being a very loud noise nuisance. Then, as Cascadian mentioned, there are hunters that fire first and then think later so you can't have livestock or pets running loose... or god forbid, children.
Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

Keeping Trespassers Out

Post by Bryn Mawr »

SnoozeAgain;1387486 wrote: But most of your trespassers are just walkers, aren't they? We get people on all terrain vehicles tearing up the ground, littering, defecating and urinating and generally being a very loud noise nuisance. Then, as Cascadian mentioned, there are hunters that fire first and then think later so you can't have livestock or pets running loose... or god forbid, children.

The first is criminal damage and the second is lousy gun laws.

For the first get the police out, for the second get the government out

Cascadian

Keeping Trespassers Out

Post by Cascadian »

SnoozeAgain hit the nail on the head, especially with the exploding popularity of ATVs ridden by so many owners with little regard for private property rights and the actual fences themselves. Way back in 1988, Time magazine ran a piece on how "roaring ATVs are shattering the peace" and introduced America to a lawless subculture whose members presume that by buying (or stealing) an "all terrain" vehicle, they are entitled to intrude upon "all terrain."

The ATV

Interesting Libertarian essay on the "right to roam" being a "licence to trespass" instead:

Pursuit of Liberty: Right to Roam or Licence to Trespass?

The image I have of a harmless British birdwatcher, hiking the moors with a walking stick and a pair of binoculars, is obviously not what our dinner companions are worried about. Indeed, they said they give permission to those hikers who ASK to hike across their acreage. It's the trespassing ATV riders and hunters who get injured and then, in the best American tradition of blaming someone else for YOUR screw-up and sue the landowners, that are shattering their peaceful retirement dream in the country.
Cascadian

Keeping Trespassers Out

Post by Cascadian »

Oh, and I found this one, very cool way to get the point across:

Cascadian

Keeping Trespassers Out

Post by Cascadian »

And the wife just emailed me a great, distinctly American in-your-face approach to trespass signage, which you should NOT click on if profanity upsets you:

http://i1010.photobucket.com/albums/af2 ... CN5880.jpg
Snooz

Keeping Trespassers Out

Post by Snooz »

Cascadian;1387491 wrote: It's the trespassing ATV riders and hunters who get injured and then, in the best American tradition of blaming someone else for YOUR screw-up and sue the landowners, that are shattering their peaceful retirement dream in the country.

How could I have overlooked that one? Every homeowner's nightmare.
fuzzywuzzy

Keeping Trespassers Out

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

Well here a tresspass sign is not really a legal sign because as I said before you have to approach the person and verbally tell them to leave ... I do see a lot of no shooting signs though.

and then we have the flip side of the coin where landowners commandeer old routes of hunters and FWD drivers . (common land) Then complain that there fences are damaged or taken down.
Snooz

Keeping Trespassers Out

Post by Snooz »

fuzzywuzzy

Keeping Trespassers Out

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

oops
Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

Keeping Trespassers Out

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Cascadian;1387491 wrote: SnoozeAgain hit the nail on the head, especially with the exploding popularity of ATVs ridden by so many owners with little regard for private property rights and the actual fences themselves. Way back in 1988, Time magazine ran a piece on how "roaring ATVs are shattering the peace" and introduced America to a lawless subculture whose members presume that by buying (or stealing) an "all terrain" vehicle, they are entitled to intrude upon "all terrain."

The ATV

Interesting Libertarian essay on the "right to roam" being a "licence to trespass" instead:

Pursuit of Liberty: Right to Roam or Licence to Trespass?

The image I have of a harmless British birdwatcher, hiking the moors with a walking stick and a pair of binoculars, is obviously not what our dinner companions are worried about. Indeed, they said they give permission to those hikers who ASK to hike across their acreage. It's the trespassing ATV riders and hunters who get injured and then, in the best American tradition of blaming someone else for YOUR screw-up and sue the landowners, that are shattering their peaceful retirement dream in the country.

Is it "Libertairian" or is it "Republican"? I get confused with your politics. Whatever, it's a farce.

Wonderful game isn't it - instead of referencing the actual arguments, rewrite them in terms that they are easy to take apart and then proceed to do so. I do it all the time, in my head whenever I loose an argument.

As an aside, what is an ATV in the US? Is it a 4WD or a Quad? I'm used to terms like SUV but that one I'm not sure of the translation.
fuzzywuzzy

Keeping Trespassers Out

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

All terain vehicle We call them 4x4 's My nissan navara is a 4x4.if you can drive that hting you can drive anything .
Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

Keeping Trespassers Out

Post by Bryn Mawr »

As an aside, have you come across Tom Lehrer's "Hunting Song"?

Appears to define your idea of hunters going after anything that moves :-

Almost every day during the hunting season you see at least one item in the newspapers about somebody who has shot somebody else, under the impression that he was a deer with a red hat perhaps,

A large flesh-colored squirrel. at any rate, it seems to me that this marks an encouraging new trend in the field of blood sports, and deserves a new type of hunting song which I present here :-

I always will remember,

’twas a year ago november,

I went out to hunt some deer

On a mornin’ bright and clear.

I went and shot the maximum the game laws would allow,

Two game wardens, seven hunters, and a cow.

I was in no mood to trifle,

I took down my trusty rifle

And went out to stalk my prey.

What a haul I made that day.

I tied them to my fender, and I drove them home somehow,

Two game wardens, seven hunters, and a cow.

The law was very firm, it

Took away my permit,

The worst punishment I ever endured.

It turned out there was a reason,

Cows were out of season,

And one of the hunters wasn’t insured.

People ask me how I do it,

And I say, there’s nothin’ to it,

You just stand there lookin’ cute,

And when something moves, you shoot!

And there’s ten stuffed heads in my trophy room right now,

Two game wardens, seven hunters, and a pure-bred guernsey cow.

fuzzywuzzy

Keeping Trespassers Out

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

Two game wardens, seven hunters, and a pure-bred guernsey cow.

that's funny. Actually a visitor I had last night took out two foxes a the end of the drive for me as he left ...thought that was rather kind of him. :p
Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

Keeping Trespassers Out

Post by Bryn Mawr »

fuzzywuzzy;1387506 wrote: that's funny. Actually a visitor I had last night took out two foxes a the end of the drive for me as he left ...thought that was rather kind of him. :p

Listen to it - the presentation is hilarious :-)

Snooz

Keeping Trespassers Out

Post by Snooz »

fuzzywuzzy;1387503 wrote: All terain vehicle We call them 4x4 's My nissan navara is a 4x4.if you can drive that hting you can drive anything .

These are a little different:

fuzzywuzzy

Keeping Trespassers Out

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

ahh quad bike ...do you know how many deaths in australia we have due to those things
jones jones

Keeping Trespassers Out

Post by jones jones »

Well in South Africa, if you let your house, apartment whatever to a tenant and they don't pay you the rent when its due, you cannot evict them unless you can find them alternate accomodation..

Strange but true.
"…I hate how I don’t feel real enough unless people are watching." — Chuck Palahniuk, Invisible Monsters
YZGI

Keeping Trespassers Out

Post by YZGI »

jones jones;1387599 wrote: Well in South Africa, if you let your house, apartment whatever to a tenant and they don't pay you the rent when its due, you cannot evict them unless you can find them alternate accomodation..

Strange but true.

What motivation do they have to pay?
Cascadian

Keeping Trespassers Out

Post by Cascadian »

First, let's kill all the lawyers (apologies to anyone reading who is one):

It would be just a slight exaggeration to say that judges in civil lawsuits look to ALI's Restatements the way ministers look to the Bible.

More than 40 years ago, (the American Law Institute's) Second Restatement asserted that landowners had no duty to trespassers except in very limited circumstances -- for example, when landowners create "attractive nuisances" that lure children into death or serious injury.

Otherwise, landowners and homeowners could only be held liable if they harmed trespassers through willful or reckless actions. The new Restatement, published last year, changes all that.

Read how: Trial lawyers working to let trespassers sue you | Washington Examiner
fuzzywuzzy

Keeping Trespassers Out

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

HUh I know what you mean Cascadian . I kid you not .....there was a case in the west of my state where a council wanted a single parent to fence around her pool....literally put a fence around it . Sounds all responsible and all...

Until you realise it's a toddlers wading pool, you know the ones that people normally tip out after the kids go inside? Well they havent yet got rid of all the water restrictions yet left over from our drought so she refused to tip it out . Hence she apparently should have a fenced the area around the pool. And yet ...My kids can willy nilly go down the road and swim in the open paddocked damn .........go figure.

Return to “Just For The Fun Of It”