Has this ever happened to you? What was the outcome?

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

This Is the first time this had ever happened to me today.

Used a cash point outside a main Post Office to withdraw £50 and no cash Is delivered.

Went to talk to staff In the Post office and got a very glib ' oh It's done that 5 times now today and all you have to do Is phone your bank'. I begged the question, ' What If that's some elderly person's last £10 for shopping?' and I Insisted they should have put a warning sign on the machine to which he said he didn't have to.

Phone the bank on returning home and I get ' Are you sure, the money didn't come out and you didn't leave It behind'? Now an Inquiry which could take 10 days and I'm told my bank Is under no obligation to make a refund.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

It happened to me years ago outside my own bank so I was able to go in and complain. I had to wait until the next morning when the machine was emptied and balanced. At that point if the machine was 'over' by the amount I claimed to have not been given it would be credited to my account. Which it was within 24 hours.

Can't see how it's your banks problem, I should think it's the owner of the cashpoint's problem, can't believe he didn't take any details etc.
Oscar Namechange

Betty Boop;1450461 wrote: It happened to me years ago outside my own bank so I was able to go in and complain. I had to wait until the next morning when the machine was emptied and balanced. At that point if the machine was 'over' by the amount I claimed to have not been given it would be credited to my account. Which it was within 24 hours.

Can't see how it's your banks problem, I should think it's the owner of the cashpoint's problem, can't believe he didn't take any details etc.

As I learned today, apparently, because the machine was not my banks machine, they don't have to settle the claim If they don't want to.

The Post Officer was extremely glib and said It was nothing to do with them because It's not their machine.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

I have had my card taken, late on a Saturday afternoon in my own Bank,when the Banks shut Saturdays.

The money was for food, so I was totally up the creek, no money and no card.

Luckily enough I managed to borrow and the Bank handed my card back no bother, remember they didn't apologise either.

Seem to recall when a machine somewhere was paying out double the amount and everyone was queueing for more.

We are far too dependant on funny money these days with the systems breaking down every so often..............frightening.
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
Oscar Namechange

Bruv;1450465 wrote: I have had my card taken, late on a Saturday afternoon in my own Bank,when the Banks shut Saturdays.

The money was for food, so I was totally up the creek, no money and no card.

Luckily enough I managed to borrow and the Bank handed my card back no bother, remember they didn't apologise either.

Seem to recall when a machine somewhere was paying out double the amount and everyone was queueing for more.

We are far too dependant on funny money these days with the systems breaking down every so often..............frightening. I agree. I rarely use them hence this being the first time It's happened to me. I was miles away and worried about fuel getting low. I should have just filled up and used a debit card. Hindsights wonderful eh?
Chloe_88

Post by Chloe_88 »

One of the banks here in holland keeps having problems, not a cash point but the actual bank. You couldn't withdraw money from the cashpoint, or pay in the shops with your card.

My dad went in for cash over the counter, and he got it. the lady behind him (with a baby) was refused, eventhough she had enough funds.

My dad stuck around, when he heard she was desperate because she needed the cash for baby food, my dad went sort of ape sh*t.

The bank then gave the lady her cash. It was only for about 30 euros. For some reason they were allowing some people cash and not others, eventhough their funds were okay.

This happend last year.. unbelievable
Mark Aspam

Post by Mark Aspam »

Had the same problem, several years ago, halfway around the world from my bank, and for a considerably larger amount ($450 as I recall). Notified my bank and they corrected the error promptly.

My understanding is that, if the amount was taken from your account, your bank should be able to trace it every step of the way.
Chloe_88

Post by Chloe_88 »

Mark Aspam;1450477 wrote: Had the same problem, several years ago, halfway around the world from my bank, and for a considerably larger amount ($450 as I recall). Notified my bank and they corrected the error promptly.

Hope the other posters are eventually equally fortunate!

I have had something like that happen also last year. But it wasn't abroad and only for 100 euros.. still we had very little income, so boohoo to them!

I see myself as an honest person, but when huge companies keep F ' ing me over then it's their loss
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

I used an ATM at another bank, once, when out of town, and requested $100. The machine gave me $80, even though the receipt said 100.

I went into the bank and they said I needed to take it up with my bank, and that they would have to drive the correction.

So, I called my bank that afternoon, and they said the had to wait until the transaction came to them.

The next Monday, I called to follow up. They said that they had not seen any transaction, and there was no record of the $100 taken from my account. They could only correct the transaction when they received the request. I went back to that bank that owns the ATM, and tried to talk to someone about the ATM, but was fairly rudely turned away. They said I had to take any complaints to my bank. I said, Thank you, and went my merry way.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Oscar Namechange

Mark Aspam;1450477 wrote: Had the same problem, several years ago, halfway around the world from my bank, and for a considerably larger amount ($450 as I recall). Notified my bank and they corrected the error promptly.

My understanding is that, if the amount was taken from your account, your bank should be able to trace it every step of the way.

Thanks Mark.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

LarsMac;1450480 wrote:

They said that they had not seen any transaction, and there was no record of the $100 taken from my account. ..........................They said I had to take any complaints to my bank. I said, Thank you, and went my merry way.

So you are up 80 dollars...............hope you told IRS.......it is IRS over there ennit?

Bet you are back to that ATM as often as you can now.
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Bruv;1450484 wrote: So you are up 80 dollars...............hope you told IRS.......it is IRS over there ennit?

Bet you are back to that ATM as often as you can now.

yup, nope, yup, and nope, never been back. It might remember and take my 80 bucks back.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Oscar Namechange

Santander bank refunded my money. I found the £50 In my account this morning.

Return to “General Chit Chat”