Dreams

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
theia

Dreams

Post by theia »

Do you remember your dreams?

I had a dream last night that I remembered I'd had on a number of occasions recently. It seems to be centred around loneliness and, maybe, grief. I've been feeling emotionally "raw" for most of the day but I feel that perhaps the dreams are serving their purpose and bringing my feelings to the surface.

Do you think dreams have a purpose?
Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke
Bruv

Dreams

Post by Bruv »

I only ever remember my dreams rarely, and normally just in brief, remembering the idea or the feeling rather than the details.

My wife can rattle on for ages in minute detail and reckons they mean something, I think they are just that .......'dreams', just random sleep thoughts.
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
Snowfire

Dreams

Post by Snowfire »

I seem to dream a lot. Often incredibly bizarre, which makes me question my sanity. Sometimes, as Bruv says, a hint or feeling of what was dreamt rather than specifics but occasionally I have epics, that for a brief moment after waking, I can relive. They are vivid, nonsensical and disjointed but sometimes very enjoyable, the memory of which fades away during the course of the day
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
AnneBoleyn

Dreams

Post by AnneBoleyn »

I have very vivid dreams every night. Yes, I believe dreams have a definite purpose in bringing to our attention underlying currents of our lives as well as things we must work out, and yes, I usually remember them. There are some, even from childhood that I will never forget. I have recurring dreams as well, and sometimes details are added or I pick up where I left off.

Truthfully, it's exhausting.
theia

Dreams

Post by theia »

Snowfire;1466710 wrote: I seem to dream a lot. Often incredibly bizarre, which makes me question my sanity. Sometimes, as Bruv says, a hint or feeling of what was dreamt rather than specifics but occasionally I have epics, that for a brief moment after waking, I can relive. They are vivid, nonsensical and disjointed but sometimes very enjoyable, the memory of which fades away during the course of the day

Thinking about your epics has made me wonder if that's where creativity lives. And, that, if we were able to find words to fit these type of dreams, would we be creating something original? I'm not explaining this very well but if dreams bypass the conditioned mind, then their content must be unique?
Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke
theia

Dreams

Post by theia »

AnneBoleyn;1466711 wrote: I have very vivid dreams every night. Yes, I believe dreams have a definite purpose in bringing to our attention underlying currents of our lives as well as things we must work out, and yes, I usually remember them. There are some, even from childhood that I will never forget. I have recurring dreams as well, and sometimes details are added or I pick up where I left off.

Truthfully, it's exhausting.

My dream last night was one of those dreams within a dream. It felt more real than reality and, when I woke from it, i felt quite distressed that reality was as it is. Like you, Anne, I felt it had a purpose in bringing some deeper feelings to the surface.
Wandrin

Dreams

Post by Wandrin »

I keep a notepad next to my bed. Sometimes I wake up from a very vivid dream with a compelling urge to write something down before it fades. It is a feeling that something important was revealed or uncovered in the dream. Sometimes, the insight provided has proven to be important.
FourPart

Dreams

Post by FourPart »

Occasionally I will experience very vivid dreams. However, these ones usually end up being premonitions of some impending disaster. For example, I predicted the 9-11 incident in fine detail a couple of days before the event & posted them in a forums in a similar thread to this. I had thought that it was just some subconcious fear of living in a tower block on a flight path to Southampton Airport. It was only when I saw the news coverage that I recognised everything.

I can't explain it, but I am certain there is more to dreams than we understand.
Snowfire

Dreams

Post by Snowfire »

While I understand the apparent importance and neccessity of dreams, I don't believe they are anything more than our brain interpreting events, thoughts and emotions. A facility to deal with what our experiences have been, either during the previous days or through our lifetime. If I tried to "translate" what I dreamt, I would need counselling but it often seems clear that although not literal interpretations, symbolically, you can glean from them, events, people, thoughts and emotions that have already happened.

I dont believe they are predictive in any sense, though sometimes they are powerful enough to seem so.
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
theia

Dreams

Post by theia »

FourPart;1466731 wrote: Occasionally I will experience very vivid dreams. However, these ones usually end up being premonitions of some impending disaster. For example, I predicted the 9-11 incident in fine detail a couple of days before the event & posted them in a forums in a similar thread to this. I had thought that it was just some subconcious fear of living in a tower block on a flight path to Southampton Airport. It was only when I saw the news coverage that I recognised everything.

I can't explain it, but I am certain there is more to dreams than we understand.

Your experience makes me wonder about time...we live as if it's linear but maybe it isn't.
Bruv

Dreams

Post by Bruv »

My wife can tell you several days later how she dreamed about the event that has just happened.

There is a lot of interpretation involved though........she is also religious.
theia

Dreams

Post by theia »

Bruv;1466741 wrote: My wife can tell you several days later how she dreamed about the event that has just happened.

There is a lot of interpretation involved though........she is also religious.

I'm liking your wife
Bruv

Dreams

Post by Bruv »

theia;1466742 wrote: I'm liking your wife

I'm liking my wife........but........*cough*...........sometimes she gets it all wrong, love her cotton socks.
theia

Dreams

Post by theia »

Bruv;1466747 wrote: I'm liking my wife........but........*cough*...........sometimes she gets it all wrong, love her cotton socks.

Well, ONE of you does. But it's not for me to say who.
Bruv

Dreams

Post by Bruv »

theia;1466748 wrote: Well, ONE of you does. But it's not for me to say who.

I shall.......just like the missus, interpret that as I feel suits my point of view.
Chloe_88

Dreams

Post by Chloe_88 »

theia;1466700 wrote: Do you remember your dreams?

I had a dream last night that I remembered I'd had on a number of occasions recently. It seems to be centred around loneliness and, maybe, grief. I've been feeling emotionally "raw" for most of the day but I feel that perhaps the dreams are serving their purpose and bringing my feelings to the surface.

Do you think dreams have a purpose?

Yes I do remember my dreams. Even the ones I'd rather not. I have awoken crying, laughing, screaming the whole lot.

Before i found out some terrible news about a family member I dreamt that I was protecting them, i was protecting this person from someone/thing evil with all my might but couldn't in the end. Few days later I found out about the devastating news about this person..

Years ago I had a week of where each night I dreamt a family member dying of something terrible. that was weird and upsetting.

Then there is my grandad and our 2 dogs who have now passed for some years.. they keep popping up.. especially my grandad, even if it's just in the background.

Some dreams don't make any sense at all, but some do.. I remember most of them anyway..

I think dreams are a way of dealing with emotions, certain feelings/hunches you might have in real life
FourPart

Dreams

Post by FourPart »

That reminds me of a time when I was about 6 & we had just moved to Lancashire from the Glorious South Coast. I came downstairs in the middle of the night & said to my Mum & Dad that Colin & Viv (my Uncle & Aunt) were in hospital in Birmingham. I'd never even heard of Birmingham. Anyway, I got sent back to bed, reassured that I was only dreaming. Next day we got a telegram. Colin & Viv had been on their way up on their motorbike to pay a surprise visit to our new home & had had an accident & were in hospital - in Birmingham.

Don't tell me there's nothing to dreams. I know better. I can't explain it, but I know it nonetheless.
Chloe_88

Dreams

Post by Chloe_88 »

FourPart;1466814 wrote: That reminds me of a time when I was about 6 & we had just moved to Lancashire from the Glorious South Coast. I came downstairs in the middle of the night & said to my Mum & Dad that Colin & Viv (my Uncle & Aunt) were in hospital in Birmingham. I'd never even heard of Birmingham. Anyway, I got sent back to bed, reassured that I was only dreaming. Next day we got a telegram. Colin & Viv had been on their way up on their motorbike to pay a surprise visit to our new home & had had an accident & were in hospital - in Birmingham.

Don't tell me there's nothing to dreams. I know better. I can't explain it, but I know it nonetheless.

wow.. that's an amazing "dream" .. not a nice one but amazing.. Thats why i believe feelings and hunches are sometimes turned in to dreams.. not always dreams though.

One day I suddenly (no idea why) had a shocking thought of what would happen if our vet would die?!?!

I just had this weird feeling.. He died about 2 months or so later, cancer unfortunately.

I think dreams are a bit like that too.. that little voice, hunch or feeling turning out to be true.

Return to “General Chit Chat”