Fill the grid

Henrick

Fill the grid

Post by Henrick »

Using the Official International English Scrabble word list, fill in the rest of this partially seeded grid. There is only 1 solution!

Attached files
spot

Fill the grid

Post by spot »

I'm not convinced a solution exists.

The right-hand answer has to be AQUA, I can think of no other English word that can fit. It's a peculiar shade of blue.

Which gives no words at all at the bottom that are allowed in Scrabble. No proper nouns are allowed which eliminates GAZA, GIZA and LIZA.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
FourPart

Fill the grid

Post by FourPart »

S O F A

P.......Q

A.......U

R A Z A

Bottom can also be RHEA, so there are at least 2 solutions.
spot

Fill the grid

Post by spot »

The Z was supplied so there's no RHEA.

RAZA isn't a legitimate Scrabble word, I suggest you use https://www.collinsdictionary.com/scrab ... rd-finder/ as a checker or suggest an alternative online Scrabble resource. The OED says it's Spanish: Origin: A borrowing from Spanish. Etymon: Spanish raza.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Henrick

Fill the grid

Post by Henrick »

spot;1512493 wrote: I'm not convinced a solution exists.

The right-hand answer has to be AQUA, I can think of no other English word that can fit. It's a peculiar shade of blue.

Which gives no words at all at the bottom that are allowed in Scrabble. No proper nouns are allowed which eliminates GAZA, GIZA and LIZA.

You are correct about "AQUA". It is the only 4-letter word with a 'Q' as the 2nd letter. However, there is only 1 solution. I will give it tomorrow! Again though, you can check if a word is valid by going to https://www.anagrammer.com/ There, you can type in the word you are checking. Remember, we are using the Collins Scrabble words, which is more comprehensive than just the US/Canada Scrabble words or the OSPD4 or OSPD5 word lists. And you are also correct when asserting that GAZA, GIZA and LIZA are not acceptable words.

So, good luck. Continue looking and have fun. I will provide the answer tomorrow along with another such puzzle.
Henrick

Fill the grid

Post by Henrick »

RAZA is not an legitimate CSW 15 word. Verify this for yourself by searching for it at https://www.anagrammer.com/ However, you are close. Good job!
Henrick

Fill the grid

Post by Henrick »

Good comments Spot! You are correct on all points.
spot

Fill the grid

Post by spot »

Henrick;1512511 wrote: Again though, you can check if a word is valid by going to https://www.anagrammer.com/

There's a difference between checking a word for validity and looking up a word based on partial information. If I've never heard of a riza then I'm not going to put the word into play while gaming, I'd agree with Stephen Potter on a point like that. Bad form, definitely. What you'd need is to have been exposed to iconolatry before fishing riza out of your head on demand.

The OED says it's Russian: Origin: A borrowing from Russian. Etymon: Russian riza. I have no idea how that's distinguishable from the objection to raza given earlier.
Henrick

Fill the grid

Post by Henrick »

spot;1512503 wrote: The Z was supplied so there's no RHEA.

RAZA isn't a legitimate Scrabble word, I suggest you use https://www.collinsdictionary.com/scrab ... rd-finder/ as a checker or suggest an alternative online Scrabble resource. The OED says it's Spanish: Origin: A borrowing from Spanish. Etymon: Spanish raza.

Thank you for the suggestion Spot about using the Collins Dictionary Scrabble word finder. It was silly of me not to provide that link since the official word list for the puzzle IS the CSW 15 which is licensed by Harper-Collins.

And now, I am going to go back to the original post to provide the answer to the puzzle. Please bear with me on this as I am still learning to navigate my way through this forum.
Henrick

Fill the grid

Post by Henrick »

Hello to all who have looked at the word puzzle for 9-16-2017. As promised, here is the solution:

S O F A

P Q

A U

R I Z A

As mentioned by user Spot, "AQUA" must be the word on the right since it is the only 4-letter word with a 'Q' as the second letter.

There are a number of words that can go into the other words, BUT, the only combination that will work is the one shown in the solution.

I hope you had fun.

Ok, I've attached the next puzzle.

In case the attachment doesn't show (I am still learning how to post to this forum), here is what the puzzle looks like:

_ _ _ Q

_

_ _ _ _ W

U

_ H _ _

By the way, does anyone know how to paste an image into a post, rather than attaching it? It would make things easier for me.

The rules are the same.

Given the puzzle shown along with the few seed letters, fill in the rest of the puzzle.

There is ONLY 1 solution.

All the words you use must come from the Harper-Collins Official English International Scrabble word list, also known as the CSW 15.

Words must read left to right and top to bottom.

Words cannot be used more than once.

You can always check the validity of your words via the Scrabble Word Finder located at:

https://www.collinsdictionary.com/scrab ... rd-finder/

I wiil post the answer to this puzzle tomorrow (9-18-2017). As advanced notice, be aware that the puzzles can become rather difficult and are not for the faint of heart. Remember, there is always only 1 solution.

Have fun.
Henrick

Fill the grid

Post by Henrick »

Here is the solution to the puzzle of 9-16-2017

Now, for the next puzzle. Here it is. The rules are the same.

1) Using only words from the Scrabble Official English International word list, fill in the rest of the puzzle.

2) Words must be spelled left to right and top to bottom

3) Words can only be used once

There is only 1 solution!

You can always check your words with the Collins Scrabble Word Finder at https://www.collinsdictionary.com/scrab ... rd-finder/

Good luck. I will post the answer to this one tomorrow.

Attached files
spot

Fill the grid

Post by spot »

I shall be interested to discover what four-letter English word starts EH, I can think of none.
Henrick

Fill the grid

Post by Henrick »

spot;1512544 wrote: I shall be interested to discover what four-letter English word starts EH, I can think of none.

Hello Spot. How about "EHED" ? Check it on the Collins Dictionary Scrabble Word Finder at https://www.collinsdictionary.com/scrab ... rd-finder/

Good luck with the rest of the puzzle.
spot

Fill the grid

Post by spot »

I think my point is that I have never encountered the word EHED, never used it and never known its meaning. That precludes me from entering it into your grid. Others may, of course, find it part of their regular vocabulary.

Presumably you're using EHED as a past tense of a putative verb to EH, meaning to say the word EH as a blank neighing sound when stuck for a coherent response.

I eh, you eh, he she or it ehs, we eh, you eh, they eh?

That is not English in a reasonable form.

I ehed, you ehed, he she or it ehed, we ehed, you ehed, they ehed? General Melchett ehed his way through the whole of Blackadder Goes Forth? Google can find not one single instance [1] of ehed other than as a forename or as a word in foreign, not in the entire legion of pages at its disposal. Sir Walter Scott came closest in Chapter 1 of Redgauntlet where he says "The Justice looked to the Clerk - the Clerk to the Justice; the former ha'd, eh'd, without bringing forth an articulate syllable" and even he, notorious for inventing Scots dialect out of thin air, couldn't bring himself to have EHED set in print.

Thank you but no, and I speak as one to whom Ecky thump comes natural having been raised a promiscuous Lancastrian.

[1]: Other than, now, this one.
Henrick

Fill the grid

Post by Henrick »

spot;1512560 wrote: I think my point is that I have never encountered the word EHED, never used it and never known its meaning. That precludes me from entering it into your grid. Others may, of course, find it part of their regular vocabulary.

Presumably you're using EHED as a past tense of a putative verb to EH, meaning to say the word EH as a blank neighing sound when stuck for a coherent response.

I eh, you eh, he she or it ehs, we eh, you eh, they eh?

That is not English in a reasonable form.

I ehed, you ehed, he she or it ehed, we ehed, you ehed, they ehed? General Melchett ehed his way through the whole of Blackadder Goes Forth? Google can find not one single instance [1] of ehed other than as a forename or as a word in foreign, not in the entire legion of pages at its disposal. Sir Walter Scott came closest in Chapter 1 of Redgauntlet where he says "The Justice looked to the Clerk - the Clerk to the Justice; the former ha'd, eh'd, without bringing forth an articulate syllable" and even he, notorious for inventing Scots dialect out of thin air, couldn't bring himself to have EHED set in print.

Thank you but no, and I speak as one to whom Ecky thump comes natural having been raised a promiscuous Lancastrian.

[1]: Other than, now, this one.

I get your point. I never would think of using "EHED" in a sentence and that word would never come to my mind. However, "EHED" is a legal Scrabble word and as such can be used as part of the puzzle solution in the same way that you could use it in a Scrabble game.

Good luck with the rest of the puzzle.
spot

Fill the grid

Post by spot »

The utility of the word is not in question - it has no utility whatever, we agree on that.

Where we differ is whether dictionary-searching for words is a legitimate game ploy. I'd disavow it for crossword solving, I'd do the same for Scrabble. Having a word and checking to see if it's a legal Scrabble offering is fine, I have no problem whatever with that, but using a word I've never met in my life is not a personal option and putting a succession of possible letter combinations into the Scrabble checker falls into that category.

A setter may well have a far wider vocabulary than I, but if she puts words into a grid which she finds by dictionary-searching rather than from her innate word hoard then I feel the puzzle has a distressingly artificial feel.
magentaflame

Fill the grid

Post by magentaflame »

I only use the. 'Macquarie' dictionary....... i use use "Oi" not "Eh"
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
spot

Fill the grid

Post by spot »

"Oi" in Britain carries heavy overtones - far right Fascist intolerance of all minorities especially if they were born foreign, shaved heads, no wimin allowed, fist fights for fun and practice and far too much drug abuse.
Henrick

Fill the grid

Post by Henrick »

Henrick;1512528 wrote: Here is the solution to the puzzle of 9-16-2017

Now, for the next puzzle. Here it is. The rules are the same.

1) Using only words from the Scrabble Official English International word list, fill in the rest of the puzzle.

2) Words must be spelled left to right and top to bottom

3) Words can only be used once

There is only 1 solution!

You can always check your words with the Collins Scrabble Word Finder at https://www.collinsdictionary.com/scrab ... rd-finder/

Good luck. I will post the answer to this one tomorrow.

And here is the solution to the 9-17-2017 puzzle.

Now, I haven't had too many people look at the puzzle. Perhaps my previous puzzles were not challenging enough. So, to get things more exciting, here is a more difficult puzzle. I doubt anyone will solve it.

Same rules as before.

There is only 1 solution.

I will post the answer tomorrow (9-19-2017).

Have fun!

Attached files
magentaflame

Fill the grid

Post by magentaflame »

spot;1512580 wrote: "Oi" in Britain carries heavy overtones - far right Fascist intolerance of all minorities especially if they were born foreign, shaved heads, no wimin allowed, fist fights for fun and practice and far too much drug abuse.

Sounds like a voluntary thinning of the gene pool.

So the australian chant of "aussie aussie aussie, Oi Oi Oi".... is a far right chant? At the cricket? Rugby? Olympic games?

I KNEW it!
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

Fill the grid

Post by Bryn Mawr »

magentaflame;1512599 wrote: Sounds like a voluntary thinning of the gene pool.

So the australian chant of "aussie aussie aussie, Oi Oi Oi".... is a far right chant? At the cricket? Rugby? Olympic games?

I KNEW it!

Oi, you pinched that!

It's from Max Boyce and should be :-

Oggy Oggy Oggy - Oi Oi Oi
spot

Fill the grid

Post by spot »

Henrick;1512585 wrote: Perhaps my previous puzzles were not challenging enough. So, to get things more exciting, here is a more difficult puzzle. I doubt anyone will solve it.

May I put two direct questions to you?

1. Have "only words previously known to the setter" been used exclusively on the grid, or did the grid require the occasional use of a computer-aided process to discover arbitrary letter combinations which tested valid as Scrabble words?

2. Is it your personal expectation that successfully solving this puzzle will involve entering only words previously known to the competitor? Or are you expecting that competitors will on occasion be obliged to test letter combinations to find a previously unknown word which passes muster.

I'm trying to find out what process you think finding a likely solution will involve. My experience with Scrabble at any level is that bringing an artificial word-selection aid to the playing table would ruffle feathers, and I'm wondering how much this grid-based game differs in that regard.

When a solution includes the words ABAC and OSAR, for instance, I begin to doubt the setter has worked entirely within her own competence.
minks

Fill the grid

Post by minks »

Canadians use Eh all the time.

as a matter of fact I ehed, a couple times yesterday lol
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
spot

Fill the grid

Post by spot »

minks;1512632 wrote: as a matter of fact I ehed, a couple times yesterday lolYou're now the second person on the interweb ever to have said so, minksy. Both times in the same thread, eh?
magentaflame

Fill the grid

Post by magentaflame »

Wouldnt it be spelt "eh'd"

And what the heck is an. "Oggy"?
spot

Fill the grid

Post by spot »

magentaflame;1512650 wrote: And what the heck is an. "Oggy"?Something which, were it made with more appropriate ingredients in Cornwall instead of Wales, would be called a Pasty.
FourPart

Fill the grid

Post by FourPart »

spot;1512653 wrote: Something which, were it made with more appropriate ingredients in Cornwall instead of Wales, would be called a Pasty.

That's a Tiddy-Oggy, though (and the real ones are to die for).

I've found that with Words With Friends, the way to win is not to put words you know, but to make up combinations of letters that might compile something remotely pronouncable using the right sort of combination of vowels & consonents. Some of the words / letter combinations are so bizarre that you would never believe them to be words, but they are acceptable to the inbuilt words list. Now, it appears, Words With Friends have just updated their words list as well, adding more acceptable words still.
spot

Fill the grid

Post by spot »

FourPart;1512668 wrote: but they are acceptable to the inbuilt words list.

This underlies the problem here, perhaps. The lack of a visible words list. I have no idea which list the Collins online checker is using for this thread, I've never heard of Words With Friends either - can that be played without access to electronic hardware?

As regards Scrabble, there are different exclusive license holders in different parts of the world. Each license holder maintains its own word list and makes what appear to be annual changes to their list's content. The lists, naturally enough, differ.

I note that FIQH is legal on some Collins lists and not on others, and we appear to be playing to a Collins list in this thread, and FIQH is one of the answers in the current puzzle. The list I'm currently working from for verification is headed "Collins Scrabble Words (2015) 276,643 words: words only" and includes the FIQH update. Scrabble dictionary changes: The controversy over changes to the game's word list. expands on this background. I strongly suspect that all available current online Scrabble word lists are copyright and that I shouldn't have one without being charged for it, if then. Collins seems at first glance not to sell theirs.

For convenience I'll drop the bash script I wrote to go with the list:

> cat /usr/local/bin/scrabble

#!/bin/bash

# start of scrabble script

case "$1" in

"") echo "extract fixed length Scrabble words using Collins Scrabble Words (2015) 276,643 words: words only [hand edited to UNIX-terminated lowercase]. Usage: ${0##*/} <wordlength>"; exit 1;;

esac

expression="^[[:alpha:]]{$1}$"

#

# the expression consists of:

# start of line mark

# only alpha characters allowed

# for a length of command-line-parameter characters (nb. '4,6', for example, selects all words of length 4 or 5 or 6)

# end of line mark

#

#

grep -E "$expression" /usr/local/bin/collins.txt

# end of scrabble script

and the words it found for the current grid when I ran it:

> scrabble 4 | grep '.q..'

aqua

> scrabble 4 | grep 'osa.'

osar

> scrabble 4 | grep '..q.'

fiqh

suqs

waqf

> scrabble 4 | grep '.f.o'

afro

> scrabble 4 | grep '.s.o'

> scrabble 4 | grep '.w.o'

> scrabble 4 | grep 'r.u[aeiou]'

roue

> scrabble 4 | grep '.her'

cher

> scrabble 4 | grep 'a.ac'

abac
Henrick

Fill the grid

Post by Henrick »

Solution to 9-17-2017 puzzle

And since the weekend is coming, I also post a more difficult puzzle. Take the weekend to solve it.

Same rules as before and, again, there is only 1 solution!

Good Luck !

Attached files
FourPart

Fill the grid

Post by FourPart »

spot;1512683 wrote: This underlies the problem here, perhaps. The lack of a visible words list. I have no idea which list the Collins online checker is using for this thread, I've never heard of Words With Friends either - can that be played without access to electronic hardware?

Words With Friends is primarily FaceBook based, although you can also download an App separately. It's basically a tackier version of scrabble, with silly "Badges" & "Challenges" (which you can totally disregard, as I do). Essentially you can challenge someone on your Friends list for a game, or you can opt to have the App select a list of potential opponents at random, giving you a brief summary of what their typical manner of play is (eg Defensive, Plays for High Scores, Plays At Your Level, etc). There are no time limits & has a messaging section built in so you can chat with your opponent. You can also have multiple games running at once. Although it's part of the FaceBook Gamesroom, it's nothing like the usual cack you get in there. It's as challengin as the opponents you select. You might like to try it sometime.
spot

Fill the grid

Post by spot »

I have a problem with social media, Facebook is way out of my comfort zone.

I ought to post an answer grid to help the thread progress, but I note I've explained how I reached the answers a few posts back. Oddly enough I spotted FIQH before I ran my lookup tool, I suspect the Guardian uses it in articles about Iran.

Whether using a tool is fair depends, I suggest, on whether a tool was used in setting the puzzle. That's still not been discussed.

Attached files
FourPart

Fill the grid

Post by FourPart »

spot;1512757 wrote: Whether using a tool is fair depends, I suggest, on whether a tool was used in setting the puzzle. That's still not been discussed.
Maybe not in this thread, but on his introduction thread he did explain how he teaches how to use software tools to put together word puzzles.

http://www.forumgarden.com/forums/intro ... ost1512488
Henrick

Fill the grid

Post by Henrick »

spot;1512757 wrote: I have a problem with social media, Facebook is way out of my comfort zone.

I ought to post an answer grid to help the thread progress, but I note I've explained how I reached the answers a few posts back. Oddly enough I spotted FIQH before I ran my lookup tool, I suspect the Guardian uses it in articles about Iran.

Whether using a tool is fair depends, I suggest, on whether a tool was used in setting the puzzle. That's still not been discussed.

Bravo Spot! You have found the solution. I guess it was a bit easier than I thought. Well, this means that I have to make the next puzzles more difficult.

Don't blame me now, blame Spot:-6
Henrick

Fill the grid

Post by Henrick »

Bravo to Spot for finding the solution.

Here it is:

And since it seems to have been quite easy for Spot, I find that I have to make things a bit more complicated now.

Attached files
spot

Fill the grid

Post by spot »

It can't be complicated when we're playing tool against tool.

If you check the thread for questions you might give us your thoughts on the esthetics of gaming. Is it fair of me to use a tool to solve a puzzle like this? Is it fair for you to use a tool to set it in the first place? Must those two answers both be the same? I am interested to know which way you go over that, it's not a question I can often ask.

Can you do a six-letter grid?

I have an apology to make, I've only just noticed that some of the posts here have been awaiting moderator approval - new posters with attachments or URLs get put into a moderating pool and the pool's not been checked for days. All the posts should now be visible, but I can understand why you were puzzled by the forum navigation and there will be a few posts you've not seen before which I've only now released from the holding area.

Attached files
FourPart

Fill the grid

Post by FourPart »

Would this not also be valid? I don't know about the Collins word list, but Kegel, Teaze, Feral & Meels are all valid words & spellings.

S T A F F

K E G E L

L A A R I

I Z Z A T

M E E L S
spot

Fill the grid

Post by spot »

From the OED:

No dictionary entries found for ‘kegel’.

No dictionary entries found for ‘meels’.

and the copy of Collins Word List 15 I found carries neither of them.

Kegel is a proper noun. Meels is a proper noun, an acronym, a word in Persian and a vernacular contraction of "Man heels".

Where do you find them listed as valid words and spellings?

For reference and possibly for interest, here's a procedure for both generating a puzzle (either on a crossword grid or on a grid of filled columns and rows) which is equally as useful for solving a puzzle as it is for setting one in the first place. I think that's quite neat.

do

read or generate an initial board state

while progress is being made and a unique solution hasn't been found (ie. there's more than one stored letter in at least one grid position)

for each row and column (or, for a crossword grid, for each question)

find all possible answers for that one row or column (eg. scrabble 5 | grep [a][a][a][a][a] where a is the set of possible letters at that offset

for each offset of all those words (eg. cut -c1 | sort -u for column 1 to 5)

find the list of unique letters

if the list is different to last time's list for this answer then we're making progress

store the new list for this offset for this grid position

until a unique solution has been found

print the grid

It would easily allow all the unique end-grids "with starting states revealing just one character, or two, or three" to be produced in a few seconds on a 4x4 or 5x5 grid, using a PC. I'm wondering how long it would take on a 6x6 or 7x7 grid. I'm also wondering whether there are any unique solutions with just one character shown in the starting state, it sounds unlikely but it would be impressive if there are.

I'm wondering whether there are any unique solutions on a 7x7 grid or bigger. I think English runs out of enough words at that stage.

How about grid 2x15?

The number of cycles of the procedure to explore the entire set of unique end-grids is:

Given English has 26 letters,

for 1 character starter: (columns x rows) x 26^1

for 2 character starter: (columns x rows) x 26^2

for 3 character starter: (columns x rows) x 26^3
FourPart

Fill the grid

Post by FourPart »

spot;1512806 wrote: From the OED:

No dictionary entries found for ‘kegel’.

No dictionary entries found for ‘meels’.

and the copy of Collins Word List 15 I found carries neither of them.

Where do you find them listed as valid words and spellings?

For reference and possibly for interest, here's a procedure for both generating a puzzle either on a crossword grid or on a grid of filled columns and rows, which is equally as useful for solving a puzzle as it is for setting one in the first place. I think that's quite neat.

do

read or generate an initial board state

while progress is being made and a unique solution hasn't been found (ie. there's more than one stored letter in at least one grid position)

for each row and column (or, for a crossword grid, for each question)

find all possible answers for that one row or column (eg. scrabble 5 | grep [a][a][a][a][a] where a is the set of possible letters at that offset

for each offset of all those words (eg. cut -c1 | sort -u for column 1 to 5)

find the list of unique letters

if the list is different to last time's list for this answer then we're making progress

store the new list for this offset for this grid position

until a unique solution has been found

print the grid

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_club

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kegel_exercise
spot

Fill the grid

Post by spot »

FourPart;1512808 wrote: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_club

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kegel_exercise

Yes, the first is a word in Persian and the second is a proper noun. I expect Collins would say "The Scrabble word list is definitive" at this point.
Henrick

Fill the grid

Post by Henrick »

spot;1512797 wrote: It can't be complicated when we're playing tool against tool.

If you check the thread for questions you might give us your thoughts on the esthetics of gaming. Is it fair of me to use a tool to solve a puzzle like this? Is it fair for you to use a tool to set it in the first place? Must those two answers both be the same? I am interested to know which way you go over that, it's not a question I can often ask.

Can you do a six-letter grid?

I have an apology to make, I've only just noticed that some of the posts here have been awaiting moderator approval - new posters with attachments or URLs get put into a moderating pool and the pool's not been checked for days. All the posts should now be visible, but I can understand why you were puzzled by the forum navigation and there will be a few posts you've not seen before which I've only now released from the holding area.

I agree that using programming tools to solve the puzzle makes it easier. The real difficulty is in creating the algorithm which generates the puzzles.

To me, using a software tool to solve the puzzles is fine because, in a sense, you are solving another problem, namely that of creating an algorithm to solve the puzzle. There is pleasure in doing so and great satisfaction in seeing your intellectual creation solve a problem. So, again, in my view, using a software tool to solve the problem is fine, as long as you created the tool (algorithm) yourself.

However, this brings in the concept of fairness. Players who try to solve the puzzle by hand may be discouraged to know that others are using computers to help solve them. Perhaps there should be 2 different classes of puzzlers. Humans and software puzzlers.

As for using a tool to create the puzzles, the same answer applies. I have written a software library which allows me to create the puzzles along with games that require filling grids. The satisfaction comes from knowing that my library can create crossword puzzles and other word puzzles which will entertain many players. It would also be rather difficult to come up with such puzzles by hand once you went beyond 4x4 puzzles.

And for those who take issue with some of the words, my rule is that there must be some official list of words. I use the CSW 15. If one disagrees with the eligbility of some words, I can only say that they should argue the point with Harper-Colins.

As far as a 6x6 puzzle, there doesn't seem to be any such puzzles given the 273,000 or so words in the Official Internation English Word List from Harper-Collins (CSW 15).

I can, however make other puzzles and they need not be symmetrical.

But first, to solution to 9-23-2017's puzzle.

And for the 9-24-2017 puzzle.

Attached files
spot

Fill the grid

Post by spot »

Henrick;1512812 wrote: And for the 9-24-2017 puzzle.

That one does have me puzzled. As far as I can tell, column 4 row 1 can be either P or R (the two-letter down answer is either PE or RE, the top across answer being SUPES or SURES) and I can't see how to eliminate either of them, which gives me two solutions.

I think I might implement that procedure I sketched earlier just to see how it behaves in code. Running it across a few grid dimensions would uncover surprises. I have some free time tomorrow afternoon.
FourPart

Fill the grid

Post by FourPart »

There is no shortage of words which have their origins in other languages. Would you consider 'Thug' (from the Indian, 'Thugee') valid? 'Karate'? 'Judo'? 'Forte'? 'Piano'? After all, 'Meel' is the English spelling of the Persian 'Mils', no different from many other words from other language that we have adopted into our own.

As for Proper Nouns - there's no shortage of words taken from the names of their originators - 'Mary', 'Jesus', 'Newton' & 'Faraday' for example, which are allowed. Even 'Jedi'. 'Bola' is permitted, and that is of South American origin, so why should 'Meel' not be simply because it is of Persian origin & not South American?
spot

Fill the grid

Post by spot »

Were I on the board of Scrabble (US) Inc. I would argue strenuously for their list to be extended.
Henrick

Fill the grid

Post by Henrick »

spot;1512814 wrote: That one does have me puzzled. As far as I can tell, column 4 row 1 can be either P or R (the two-letter down answer is either PE or RE, the top across answer being SUPES or SURES) and I can't see how to eliminate either of them, which gives me two solutions.

I think I might implement that procedure I sketched earlier just to see how it behaves in code. Running it across a few grid dimensions would uncover surprises. I have some free time tomorrow afternoon.

I don't know what horizontal word you would be forming on the 4th row qwith 'Q _ _ P _ Z _'

So, here is the solution along with the next puzzle.

Have fun.

Attached files
spot

Fill the grid

Post by spot »

I referenced the first row, not the fourth. My Collins word list includes SURES. I've no idea what SURES or SUPES mean but they both appear to fit in Row 1.

I need to get some shoes on, it's time for the school run. Well, school walk anyway, it's decades since I had a car. Don't like cars.

later: The new puzzle took an hour using the earlier script from the command line, it took a lot of iterations by hand. I'll have a coffee and then try wrapping some automation around the few commands I've been typing in. I'd like to get the computer to solve the puzzle with just one instruction on my part.
Henrick

Fill the grid

Post by Henrick »

spot;1512828 wrote: I referenced the first row, not the fourth. My Collins word list includes SURES. I've no idea what SURES or SUPES mean but they both appear to fit in Row 1.

I need to get some shoes on, it's time for the school run. Well, school walk anyway, it's decades since I had a car. Don't like cars.

later: The new puzzle took an hour using the earlier script from the command line, it took a lot of iterations by hand. I'll have a coffee and then try wrapping some automation around the few commands I've been typing in. I'd like to get the computer to solve the puzzle with just one instruction on my part.

Placing "SURES" in the first row means that you won't have an answer for row 4.
spot

Fill the grid

Post by spot »

Henrick;1512855 wrote: Placing "SURES" in the first row means that you won't have an answer for row 4.

Ah. My Collins wordlist has RE as a solution for the two-letter down word there at column 4 row 1, perhaps we're not exactly synchronized on the same CWL version.

I did a bit of coding yesterday to bring in one puzzle for solution - the example is the current puzzle. This is the input format I've settled for, because it will be easy to generate sets of grids once the solving process is tested:

> cat grid-f

a 2 1 .u...

a 1 2 ..n..o.

a 1 3 ...

a 1 4 ..

a 1 5 ..v

a 5 3 ...

a 6 4 ..

a 5 5 d..

a 1 6 ......v

a 2 7 .....

d 1 2 .....

d 2 1 .......

d 3 1 un.

d 3 5 v...

d 4 1 ..

d 4 6 ..

d 5 1 ...

d 5 5 d..

d 6 1 .o.....

d 7 2 ....v

For each word it gives
  • across-or-downthe column and row for the first letterthe known content The program then has enough information to lay out the right size rectangle to solve. Each known letter only needs mentioning once but the example has some twice.

One of the first programs I wrote was very like this, around 1972 at a guess. It specified a heatsink and fixed temperatures at known locations, and then cycled the grid allowing temperatures to migrate to neighbor cells until equilibrium. The only earlier program I can bring to mind was an implementation of John Conway's Life Game and that had similarities too.
Henrick

Fill the grid

Post by Henrick »

spot;1512857 wrote: Ah. My Collins wordlist has RE as a solution for the two-letter down word there at column 4 row 1, perhaps we're not exactly synchronized on the same CWL version.

I did a bit of coding yesterday to bring in one puzzle for solution - the example is the current puzzle. This is the input format I've settled for, because it will be easy to generate sets of grids once the solving process is tested:

> cat grid-f

a 2 1 .u...

a 1 2 ..n..o.

a 1 3 ...

a 1 4 ..

a 1 5 ..v

a 5 3 ...

a 6 4 ..

a 5 5 d..

a 1 6 ......v

a 2 7 .....

d 1 2 .....

d 2 1 .......

d 3 1 un.

d 3 5 v...

d 4 1 ..

d 4 6 ..

d 5 1 ...

d 5 5 d..

d 6 1 .o.....

d 7 2 ....v

For each word it gives
  • across-or-downthe column and row for the first letterthe known content The program then has enough information to lay out the right size rectangle to solve. Each known letter only needs mentioning once but the example has some twice.

One of the first programs I wrote was very like this, around 1972 at a guess. It specified a heatsink and fixed temperatures at known locations, and then cycled the grid allowing temperatures to migrate to neighbor cells until equilibrium. The only earlier program I can bring to mind was an implementation of John Conway's Life Game and that had similarities too.

'RE' and 'PE' are valid words, but if you use 'RE' in the 4th column you won't have a solution for the puzzle.

If you use all of the seed letters except for the 'R' on the 4th row you will end up at some point at the following grid:

That grid has multiple solutions, none of which have the 'R' seed letter.

The 4th row can have

"QUALIFY", "QUAKILY" and "QUALITY"

The 6th column can have

"SEIFS", "SEILS", "SEELS", "SEALS","SEATS"

"QUALIFY" will work with "SEIFS"

"QUAKILY" will work with either "SEELS" or "SEALS"

"QUALITY" will work with "SEATS"

That's 4 different solutions. But NONE uses the letter "Z" in the 4th row.

Attached files
spot

Fill the grid

Post by spot »

I thought I'd bump the thread to keep it current, I've managed to get a couple of hours more coding and it looks more interesting after each session. I've never tried implementing anything like this as a bash script before, it's eye-opening. Whether it's efficient is anyone's guess.
Henrick

Fill the grid

Post by Henrick »

spot;1512909 wrote: I thought I'd bump the thread to keep it current, I've managed to get a couple of hours more coding and it looks more interesting after each session. I've never tried implementing anything like this as a bash script before, it's eye-opening. Whether it's efficient is anyone's guess.

Thank you! I'll generate another puzzle later tonight or tomorrow.

Return to “Word Games”