Protesting at funerals.

Sheryl

Protesting at funerals.

Post by Sheryl »

Rev. Phelps and others have been protesting at soldier's funerals and even protested at the miner's funerals in W. VA. Interested other's opinions. Do they have a legal right to protest at such events.

http://www.firstamendmentcenter.org/news.aspx?id=16414
"Girls are crazy! I'm not ever getting married, I can make my own sandwiches!"

my son
chonsigirl

Protesting at funerals.

Post by chonsigirl »

They can protest at another time, a funeral is not the right place. Leave the family in peace.
BabyRider

Protesting at funerals.

Post by BabyRider »

But the question is, "Do they have a legal right to protest at these funerals?"

I'd have to say, yes, they do. Sure, it's sick, disgusting, heartless, and rude. But legal? Yep, it is.
[FONT=Arial Black]I hope you cherish this sweet way of life, and I hope you know that it comes with a price.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

Bullet's trial was a farce. Can I get an AMEN?????

We won't be punished for our sins, but BY them.

Sheryl

Protesting at funerals.

Post by Sheryl »

I think if the protests continue, there probaly will soon be report about protestors being attacked. The funerals they are choosing to protest at are ones steeping in raw emotions.

my son
nvalleyvee

Protesting at funerals.

Post by nvalleyvee »

They have a legal right to express their thoughts ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I REALLY DISAGREE. Let's go back to the FAMILY................OOHHHHHHH - this is difficult for me. People work and they know the hazzards of their occupation.....their families know the hazzards ................everyone accepts it -----------but the NYC people can't.
The growth of knowledge depends entirely on disagreement..........Karl R. Popper
AussiePam

Protesting at funerals.

Post by AussiePam »

Those guys have totally lost the plot. I was in Illinois in early December when there was a nasty protest at the local funeral of a soldier killed in Iraq. I couldn't believe it!!! His family coped with quiet dignity.
"Life is too short to ski with ugly men"

Peg

Protesting at funerals.

Post by Peg »

There's a time and a place for everything. A funeral is not the time or place to protest.
Accountable

Protesting at funerals.

Post by Accountable »

Strictly legally speaking (because you know I'd be shoulder to shoulder with Far), I'm not sure they weren't already breaking the law. Protesting is legal, sure, but aren't there city ordinances requiring that groups register & receive permission?

Funerals are private affairs, but they're held in public. I don't see how anyone can legally prevent them from standing anywhere near the funeral with protest signs & such - not legally anyway.

I'm glad they made the protests illegal. Somebody should assemble at that church and protest them.
Peg

Protesting at funerals.

Post by Peg »

They call themselves Christians. Glad I'm not one then.:-5
Accountable

Protesting at funerals.

Post by Accountable »

Peg wrote: They call themselves Christians. Glad I'm not one then.:-5
They probably call themselves patriots as well. :yh_frustr
Sheryl

Protesting at funerals.

Post by Sheryl »

Ok really sad. They list on their website upcoming funerals and protests planned. They are also planning to protest Coretta King's funeral.

Here's the link.............warning it's a sick site!

http://www.godhatesfags.com/main/index.html

my son
Cupid

Protesting at funerals.

Post by Cupid »

:-4
Bez

Protesting at funerals.

Post by Bez »

Sheryl wrote: Ok really sad. They list on their website upcoming funerals and protests planned. They are also planning to protest Coretta King's funeral.

Here's the link.............warning it's a sick site!

http://www.godhatesfags.com/main/index.html

This site is truly sick. it just goes to show that there are extremists all over the place...I despair of the human race sometimes.

My heart goes out to the poor greaving folks that want to say goodbye to their loved ones in peace and with dignity.
A smile is a window on your face to show your heart is home
LilacDragon

Protesting at funerals.

Post by LilacDragon »

On November 1st of last year, while out on patrol, one of the humvees in my husband's unit ran over an IED. The guys managed to pull 4 of the soldiers out but were unable to save the 5th man.

The survivors were all badly burned and sent to a military hospital in Texas. One of the soldiers died in December. Another died on the 1st of this month. He leaves behind a young wife and a 4 month old daughter that he got to meet once.

I am so upset to see that his funeral, scheduled for this weekend, is listed on the Phelps family website.
Sandi

Accountable

Protesting at funerals.

Post by Accountable »

What state?
LilacDragon

Protesting at funerals.

Post by LilacDragon »

Michigan
Sandi

Accountable

Protesting at funerals.

Post by Accountable »

Too far for me, but I know a patriotic biker in that area that might be interested.
Sheryl

Protesting at funerals.

Post by Sheryl »

It's so sad people are doing this. However we have had 2 funerals in our area in the last month. The protestors didn't show up, but people did show up in support.

Attached files

my son
daffodil52

Protesting at funerals.

Post by daffodil52 »

they can at ,,,, my fun run...... because I'm take the devils offer and being cramated so u are all welcome,,,, dust to dust and no pray in ok... no flowers

just bring a bottle of er favorite hooch ale wine water tea coffie,, no holy water

save that ,, for famin vic them.... not to be waste stead.... a love me wordslol daffy52
BabyRider

Protesting at funerals.

Post by BabyRider »

Watched on the news a very heart-warming story. Yet again, here in Michigan this time, a soldiers funeral was "visited" by about a dozen protesters. The thing that was different this time? About 150 Vietnam vets and BIKERS showed up to keep the protesters at bay.

These sick bastards that are protesting at the funerals were carrying signs that said things like "Faggot Vets" and other such niceties.

The bikers rallied round and drowned out the dozen or so protesters and allowed the family of the fallen soldier to have their ceremony in relative peace.

Way to go, brothers.

FTW!
[FONT=Arial Black]I hope you cherish this sweet way of life, and I hope you know that it comes with a price.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

Bullet's trial was a farce. Can I get an AMEN?????

We won't be punished for our sins, but BY them.

observer1

Protesting at funerals.

Post by observer1 »

BabyRider wrote: Watched on the news a very heart-warming story. Yet again, here in Michigan this time, a soldiers funeral was "visited" by about a dozen protesters. The thing that was different this time? About 150 Vietnam vets and BIKERS showed up to keep the protesters at bay.

These sick bastards that are protesting at the funerals were carrying signs that said things like "Faggot Vets" and other such niceties.

The bikers rallied round and drowned out the dozen or so protesters and allowed the family of the fallen soldier to have their ceremony in relative peace.

Way to go, brothers.

FTW!

That sounds like what happened to one of our local fallen soldiers' funeral. The protestors were saying the soldiers were being killed as punishment for gays in America. They were from some church in Kansas, I think. But the Vets caught wind of it & stood as a barricade against them.
Nomad

Protesting at funerals.

Post by Nomad »

LilacDragon wrote: On November 1st of last year, while out on patrol, one of the humvees in my husband's unit ran over an IED. The guys managed to pull 4 of the soldiers out but were unable to save the 5th man.

The survivors were all badly burned and sent to a military hospital in Texas. One of the soldiers died in December. Another died on the 1st of this month. He leaves behind a young wife and a 4 month old daughter that he got to meet once.

I am so upset to see that his funeral, scheduled for this weekend, is listed on the Phelps family website.

Phelps :rolleyes:

He shouldnt even be considered in the equation. He lives to cause harm. Pay him no heed.
I AM AWESOME MAN
LilacDragon

Protesting at funerals.

Post by LilacDragon »

I got this in an e-mail a few days ago. It is most excellent news for those who have family members in dangerous places.

Protests like those that marred two local military funerals last

week soon could become a thing of the past.

State and federal lawmakers are planning legislation that would put

strict limits on protests at military funerals — effectively making

protesters barely visible, if at all.

Twice in one week protesters from the Westboro Baptist Church in

Kansas came to Genesee County. They stood on American flags while

holding signs condemning soldiers, the country and homosexuality at

the funerals for Pfc. Allan Morr, 21, of Byron, and Sgt. Joshua

Youmans, 26, of Flushing Township.

Now, U.S. Rep. Mike Rogers, R-Brighton, wants to keep the protesters

at a distance at national cemeteries and encourage states to put

limits everywhere else, too. He expects to introduce a bill on the

issue Wednesday or Thursday.