Recognizing a stroke

BabyRider

Recognizing a stroke

Post by BabyRider »

My friend sent this to me and encouraged me to post it and spread the word. I agree. If everyone can remember something this simple, we could save some folks. Seriously.. Please read:STROKE

IDENTIFICATION:During a BBQ, a friend stumbled and took a little fall - she assured everyone that she was fine (they offered to call paramedics) and just tripped over a brick because of her new shoes. They got her cleaned up and got her a new plate of food - while she appeared a bit shaken up, Ingrid went about enjoying herself the rest of the evening. Ingrid's husband called later telling everyone that his wife had been taken to the hospital - (at 6:00pm, Ingrid passed away.) She had suffered a stroke at the BBQ. Had they known how to identify the signs of a stroke, perhaps Ingrid would be with us today. Some don't die. They end up in a helpless, hopeless condition instead. It only takes a minute to read this...

A neurologist says that if he can get to a stroke victim within 3 hours he can totally reverse the effects of a stroke...totally. He said the trick was getting a stroke recognized, diagnosed, and then getting the patient medically cared for within 3 hours, which is tough.

RECOGNIZING A STROKE Thank God for the sense to remember the "3" steps, STR . Read and Learn! Sometimes symptoms of a stroke are difficult to identify. Unfortunately, the lack of awareness spells disaster. The stroke victim may suffer severe brain damage when people nearby fail to recognize the symptoms of a stroke.Now doctors say a bystander can recognize a stroke by asking three simple questions:

S *Ask the individual to SMILE.

T *Ask the person to TALK . to SPEAK A SIMPLE SENTENCE (Coherently) (i.e. . . It is sunny out today)

R *Ask him or her to RAISE BOTH ARMS.

NOTE: Another 'sign' of a stroke is this: Ask the person to 'stick' out their tongue... if the tongue is 'crooked', if it goes to one side or the other that is also an indication of a stroke}If he or she has trouble with ANY ONE of these tasks, call 9-1-1 immediately and describe the symptoms to the dispatcher.

A cardiologist says if everyone who gets this e-mail sends it to 10 people; you can bet that at least one life will be saved.

[FONT=Arial Black]I hope you cherish this sweet way of life, and I hope you know that it comes with a price.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

Bullet's trial was a farce. Can I get an AMEN?????

We won't be punished for our sins, but BY them.

Tigerlily

Recognizing a stroke

Post by Tigerlily »

That really is a great help. People have little strokes that go unrecognised all the time and they should be a warning. It's on my mind at the moment because the father, 58, of a young colleague of mine had one. Fortunately his daughter is a doctor and took immediate action.

i shall be passing it round.
Marie5656

Recognizing a stroke

Post by Marie5656 »

Babyrider, great advice. I shall pass it on, also. If I may add something, a Stroke does not just affect older folks. I know a lady who had one a couple of years back, at age 52. Someone else I met at a former job, a man in his 60's, had a stroke at the age of 12!!
devist8me

Recognizing a stroke

Post by devist8me »

Time is life in these situations. Depending on the type of stroke, quick treatment can save a life. The window is very short so the second you think you see stroke symptoms, get a move on and convince them to seek treatment.
I probably posted that in an ambien trance-soryy
valerie

Recognizing a stroke

Post by valerie »

And also, recognize that not every victim will have every symptom.

A stroke victim that can smile just fine might not be able to raise their

arms.

:-6
Tamsen's Dogster Page

http://www.dogster.com/?27525

Marie5656

Recognizing a stroke

Post by Marie5656 »

valerie wrote: And also, recognize that not every victim will have every symptom.

A stroke victim that can smile just fine might not be able to raise their

arms.

:-6

Correct, Valerie. The aquaintance of mine, who had the stroke at 52 was saying that she was at home in bed when the stroke occured. All she knew was that she "did not feel right" and wondered if she had had a stroke. She had the presence of mind to have her daughter, who was living with her at the time call 911 and get her to the hospital to be checked out.
woppy71

Recognizing a stroke

Post by woppy71 »

That is very, very good advice, Babyrider, and it is something which everybody should learn. Where I work, in a very large mall, all the staff and security operatives have been briefed on this, and we have also been trained how to use first aid and a defibrulator (did I spell that right??).

We have medical incidents involving the elderly and other high risk people, and I certainly feel a lot better knowing how to deal with a medical emergency.
Behaviour breeds behaviour - treat people how you would like to be treated yourself

Return to “Fitness Nutrition”