Right way or Wrong way?

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
cars

Right way or Wrong way?

Post by cars »

Here in the USA, people drive their cars on the "Right" side of the road. In the UK & other Countries they drive on the "Left" side of the road.

Consequently, so here's the question/observation.

I noticed in "our" Malls, Board Walks, & Buildings with long hallways, the flow of the majority of people walking, walk on the Right side, similar to driving. Then there are people that are walking "against the flow on the Right side.

Are these people walking against the tide, foriegners? Or do you also notice the same thing happen in the UK?:thinking:
Cars :)
abbey

Right way or Wrong way?

Post by abbey »

Same here Cars, funnily enough if anyone pulls out on me in the supermarket with their trolley (cart)

i automatically assume they dont drive! :driving:
gmc

Right way or Wrong way?

Post by gmc »

You can always spot foreign tourists they tend to look to their left and then step out in front of you into oncoming traffic. It's particularly lethal on single track roads with passing places--we pull in to the left they go right so there are often minor shunts as a result, or long glaring pauses until they remember where they are. On the other hand I've got into the car and driven off on the left while on holiday in france, it's easily enough done.
OzBoy

Right way or Wrong way?

Post by OzBoy »

cars wrote: Here in the USA, people drive their cars on the "Right" side of the road. In the UK & other Countries they drive on the "Left" side of the road.

Consequently, so here's the question/observation.

I noticed in "our" Malls, Board Walks, & Buildings with long hallways, the flow of the majority of people walking, walk on the Right side, similar to driving. Then there are people that are walking "against the flow on the Right side.

Are these people walking against the tide, foriegners? Or do you also notice the same thing happen in the UK?:thinking:

One major observation myself and my fellow Aussie expats constantly gripe about here in the UK is the total lack of any direction that a lot of people have here, we've done serious social experiements whereby we walk in a straightline down a pavement and wait to see who will move - the answer practically no one :-5 they actually prefer to knock straight into you and keep walking, when boarding trains people actually try and get on a peak hour train BEFORE the people on it can get off, escalator signs that say stand to the left or right are well... completley ignored and in shopping malls people seem to spend more time stopping in the middle of the isle to congregate then actually walking anywhere so its amazing to think that the traffic here - in London especially actually flows better then the people traffic on the sidewalks - go figure???? :thinking:
Katy1

Right way or Wrong way?

Post by Katy1 »

I am disappointed Cars, from the title of this thread I thought it was going to be another juicy one about our sexual habits...oh well:wah:
Galbally

Right way or Wrong way?

Post by Galbally »

Whenever I go to a right-hand drive country I am always freaked out for about 24 hours as everything seems wrong. Last time I was in Paris I got out of the Eurostar train at Gard Du Nord station, went out the front and almost immeadiatly got creamed by a mad french guy on a moped, totally my fault though. Oh well, what can you do.
"We are never so happy, never so unhappy, as we imagine"

Le Rochefoucauld.

"A smack in the face settles all arguments, then you can move on kid."

My dad 1986.
chonsigirl

Right way or Wrong way?

Post by chonsigirl »

This is true, cars. We steer the students up and down the hallway going the same direction we drive. The way they act in the hallway though, I hope they drive better than that one day!:rolleyes:
cars

Right way or Wrong way?

Post by cars »

Katy1 wrote: I am disappointed Cars, from the title of this thread I thought it was going to be another juicy one about our sexual habits...oh well:wah:

The title was supposed to catch your attention Kat, guess it did!

Now to your question, maybe a thread should be started to address "is there really a wrong way" especially if both parties are satisfied when it's over! Then, does that really make it right? :-2
Lulu2

Right way or Wrong way?

Post by Lulu2 »

A man in Cape Town laughed when he ran into me on the street...he said, "I can always spot you YANKS! You walk on the same side as you drive." :o

Guilty!
My candle's burning at both ends, it will not last the night. But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends--It gives a lovely light!--Edna St. Vincent Millay
Katy1

Right way or Wrong way?

Post by Katy1 »

Lulu2 wrote: A man in Cape Town laughed when he ran into me on the street...he said, "I can always spot you YANKS! You walk on the same side as you drive." :o

Guilty!

Yeah and the shorts, baseball caps and cameras..........:wah:
cars

Right way or Wrong way?

Post by cars »

Katy1 wrote: Yeah and the shorts, baseball caps and cameras..........:wah:

Hey, sounds like you're talking about me! :p
Lulu2

Right way or Wrong way?

Post by Lulu2 »

I resemble that remark! (Actually, I've always heard they recognize us by our SHOES.)
My candle's burning at both ends, it will not last the night. But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends--It gives a lovely light!--Edna St. Vincent Millay
Bill Sikes

Right way or Wrong way?

Post by Bill Sikes »

cars wrote: I noticed in "our" Malls, Board Walks, & Buildings with long hallways, the flow of the majority of people walking, walk on the Right side, similar to driving. Then there are people that are walking "against the flow on the Right side.

Are these people walking against the tide, foriegners? Or do you also notice the same thing happen in the UK?thinking:

The convention in the UK is to walk on the left. This is often ignored, I observe,

by people walking along with their mouths hanging open, and eyes staring

blankly ahead. Oh, BTW, when walking on the road, one should usuallf face

oncoming traffic. HTH.
Bill Sikes

Right way or Wrong way?

Post by Bill Sikes »

Hamster wrote: when I worked in London..going up and down the escalators we are told to stand in one place

Oh, no! You stand still on the escalator, rather than walking??
koan

Right way or Wrong way?

Post by koan »

gmc wrote: You can always spot foreign tourists they tend to look to their left and then step out in front of you into oncoming traffic. It's particularly lethal on single track roads with passing places--we pull in to the left they go right so there are often minor shunts as a result, or long glaring pauses until they remember where they are. On the other hand I've got into the car and driven off on the left while on holiday in france, it's easily enough done.
I noted this as my primary area of danger since I've arrived. Driving was safer because I was staying focused on traffic directions. When walking, I daydream and my habit is to look the wrong direction when I go to cross. For now I've decided to only cross at marked crossings and to turn straight towards the road before I start. I also noticed that sidewalk directions match the road system and try to keep to "my" side.

I've found UK people to be far more tolerant of minor misdemeanors in traffic rules than people in N America...though one bloke drove past the house with his horn blaring at someone for a full minute.

Return to “General Chit Chat”