New Study Shatters Milk Myth

CVX

Post by CVX »

For Strong Bones, Kids Need Exercise,

Sunshine And A Dairy-Free Diet

Physicians Committee For Responsible Medicine

WASHINGTON -- In a new scientific review scheduled to appear in the March issue of the peer-reviewed journal, Pediatrics, Cornell-trained nutritionist Amy Joy Lanou, Ph.D., and co-authors show that dairy products do not promote bone health in children and young adults. Physical activity does have a positive impact on bone health, while evidence linking bone health with dairy product consumption is weak, at best.

"Under scientific scrutiny, the support for the milk myth crumbles. This analysis of 58 published studies shows that the evidence on which U.S. dairy intake recommendations are based is scant," says Dr. Lanou, lead author of the study. "A clear majority of the studies we examined for this review found no relationship between dairy or dietary calcium intake and measures of bone health. In the remaining reports, the evidence was sketchy. In some, the effects on bone health were small, and in others, the results were confounded by vitamin D intake from milk fortified with vitamin D. To build strong bones and healthy bodies, children need exercise, sunshine, and a diet rich in fruits and vegetables that helps them maintain a healthy body weight."

The level of dairy product consumption in the United States is among the highest in the world, and yet osteoporosis and fracture rates are also among the highest. This "calcium paradox" was an impetus for the current investigation. "We found no evidence to support the notion that milk is a preferred source of calcium," the authors conclude. Dr. Lanou is nutrition director for the non-profit Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine (PCRM), and her co-authors are Susan E. Berkow, Ph.D., C.N.S., and Neal D. Barnard, M.D.

- Founded in 1985, the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine is a nonprofit health organization that promotes preventive medicine, especially good nutrition. PCRM also conducts clinical research studies, opposes unethical human experimentation, and promotes alternatives to animal research.
kensloft

Post by kensloft »

Now the cows are going to go on strike. The dairy farmers are going to blame the Canadian mad cow for infecting their scientists with the thoughts of making the use of milk a no go. You are going to hell in a hand basket and if you don't stop this foolishness theyll stop making cheese.
kensloft

Post by kensloft »

Are you working in the milk industry or are you just trying to keep people from rabidly upsetting the balance of commerce by not buying milk?
anastrophe

Post by anastrophe »

it's worth noting that the PCRM is a shill group for PETA. they aren't interested in your health; they're interested in getting everyone to stop using animal products, of any and all kinds. period.

http://www.ncahf.org/articles/o-r/pcrm.html

caveat lector.
[FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][/FONT]
anastrophe

Post by anastrophe »

Florrie wrote:

Care has to be taken with foods fortified with additives. This is a manufacturers selling ploy and not entirely true.

EG Vitimin is derived mostly from sunlight (also from fruit/food). The body only uses the minerals & vitimins it needs and the rest is eliminated.

this is not entirely accurate. The body stores 'excess' non-water soluable vitamins in the liver. this is why vitamin A can be toxic - the body does *not* eliminate the excess, but continues accumulating it until it acts as a poison. Same for Vitamin D.
[FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][/FONT]
CVX

Post by CVX »

Florrie wrote: CVX

When looking at research one needs to have all previous, relevant, researched articles available and good critical skills for analysis. While this study has its merits it appears out of context standing alone, and not entirely the full story.

I am just reporting the story. You all are smart enough to digest and analyze. The important aspect of this story is that this is a critical bombshell report directed at the National Milk Council.
LottomagicZ4941

Post by LottomagicZ4941 »

Well my DR as a kid believed the myth and when my legs hurt he said to drink milk.

Drinking Goats Milk helps a lot faster then cows milk.

Lotto

http://www.flalottomagic.net/cgi-local/ ... elcome-344

MagicZ4941A
alobar51

Post by alobar51 »

Florrie wrote:

Milk/fat/dairy foods DO build and protect healthy bones before age 5 years, and also has a part to play after. A few years ago 'weight watchers' had to change it's policy on the amount of 'no fat milk' in it's dietry advice when some people (especially women) became ill.
So does broccoli, and argueably better.

Over 60% of the world's population does not drink cow's milk and they have good bones and teeth, most of them better than ours, so milk is hardly necessary for strong bones.

Humans are not built digestively for cow's milk. Yes, before age five they can usually tolerate it, but it's hardly a suitable substitute for mother's milk.

The calcium that is in milk is poorly absorbed because of its poor digestability.

It is one of the most allergenic foods out there.
kensloft

Post by kensloft »

alobar51 wrote: So does broccoli, and argueably better.

Over 60% of the world's population does not drink cow's milk and they have good bones and teeth, most of them better than ours, so milk is hardly necessary for strong bones.

Humans are not built digestively for cow's milk. Yes, before age five they can usually tolerate it, but it's hardly a suitable substitute for mother's milk.

The calcium that is in milk is poorly absorbed because of its poor digestability.

It is one of the most allergenic foods out there.
Years ago I did a study on the differences between cow's and mother's milk.

Guess whose children were breast fed?
BTS

Post by BTS »

kensloft wrote: Years ago I did a study on the differences between cow's and mother's milk.

Guess whose children were breast fed?I'll Bite......

?

But I bet the Cow's calf was breast fed............ Dunno about the Mothers' child
"If America Was A Tree, The Left Would Root For The Termites...Greg Gutfeld."
kensloft

Post by kensloft »

BTS wrote: I'll Bite......

?

But I bet the Cow's calf was breast fed............ Dunno about the Mothers' child
It was supposed to be a rhetorical question?
alobar51

Post by alobar51 »

kensloft wrote: Years ago I did a study on the differences between cow's and mother's milk.

Guess whose children were breast fed?

Did you look at the incidence of ADDHD and other behavioral disorders in babies who were breast fed 9 months or more vs. bottle babies?

I don't remember the exact numbers, other than they blew me away. Alexander Schauss quoted them in a talk he gave several years ago.
BTS

Post by BTS »

kensloft wrote: It was supposed to be a rhetorical question?
kensloft:

I thought so...................LOL

I think Mine was a rhetorical thought.........
"If America Was A Tree, The Left Would Root For The Termites...Greg Gutfeld."
kensloft

Post by kensloft »

:yh_rotfl :yh_rotfl :yh_rotfl BTS wrote: kensloft:

I thought so...................LOL

I think Mine was a rhetorical thought.........

Return to “Fitness Nutrition”