Standards

A forum created specifically for polls.
koan

Standards

Post by koan »

How standard are your standards? Do you judge others by higher or lower standards than than you use to judge yourself?
ch4rlie

Standards

Post by ch4rlie »

anyone who answers that they judge them selves by lower standards than others is not my friend :-3
minks

Standards

Post by minks »

I go same as myself cause that means we have a lot in common...
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

Standards

Post by Bryn Mawr »

koan wrote: How standard are your standards? Do you judge others by higher or lower standards than than you use to judge yourself?

I *know* what I have done and my motives for doing it.

I do not know for certain (usually) what others have done and I do not know what motivated then.

I therefore have to have to make allowances and factor in possible misunderstandings.
koan

Standards

Post by koan »

ch4rlie wrote: anyone who answers that they judge them selves by lower standards than others is not my friend :-3

It's not something I would expect anyone to admit to even if they did. If it gets even one vote here I'd bet it was in humour.

Of course we can only vote based on our perceptions anyway.
weeder

Standards

Post by weeder »

The same as myself. I expect a lot from those I think a lot of. I am crushed when they do not live up to "my" standards. And yet. Ive been known to compromise my principles. The compromising usually makes me furious after a short while.
[FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif][/FONT]
sunny104

Standards

Post by sunny104 »

I voted the same as myself....
cherandbuster

Standards

Post by cherandbuster »

I voted that I judge others by lower standards than myself.

I have found that the *key* to happiness is lowered expectations. If you expect less from someone, then you will not be disappointed.

And you may very well be impressed :-6
Live Life with

PASSION
!:guitarist

Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

Standards

Post by Bryn Mawr »

cherandbuster wrote: I voted that I judge others by lower standards than myself.

I have found that the *key* to happiness is lowered expectations. If you expect less from someone, then you will not be disappointed.

And you may very well be impressed :-6

Too true, and nicely expressed.
cherandbuster

Standards

Post by cherandbuster »

Bryn Mawr wrote: Too true, and nicely expressed.

Thank you, Bryn! :)

I really try to 'live' this philosophy, whether it be about marriage, job, family, etc.

It enables me to be a happier person. :-6
Live Life with

PASSION
!:guitarist

Bill Sikes

Standards

Post by Bill Sikes »

What is the meaning of this impertinence?
nvalleyvee

Standards

Post by nvalleyvee »

I hold myself and others to the same standards in life. Does that mean we never deviate from our own standards?....................Oh hell no it doesn't. Is there ever a month when you do not feel angry in traffic? Don't you ever for one minute wish the person you are talking with who is a total idiot would just shut up? Wouldn't you like your way to be the only right way more than once in a while? These are just a fraction of my faults but I usually take the standard way......the way of compromise. In taking this path I don't have to beat the crap out of anyone..............LMFAO
The growth of knowledge depends entirely on disagreement..........Karl R. Popper
koan

Standards

Post by koan »

I used to have lower expectations of others but realized that I am too hard on myself. I voted for "same" because that is what I am trying to remember when I get into self critical modes.
Bez

Standards

Post by Bez »

I hope that other peoples standards are the same as mine, but I am fairly tolerant of those people whos standards fall below mine in some areas.

It is difficult because apart from personal behaviour, personal hygiene and personal ethics, different people have different priorities in their lives.

One of my daughters in law put a t-shirt on a child without ironing it.....I really had to button my lips :lips: . This may sound overly fussy, but that's me. The same DIL will only give the child home made and organic food....me ???...I would probably open a tin or a packet :D
A smile is a window on your face to show your heart is home
laneybug

Standards

Post by laneybug »

I voted that standards are constantly changing and in continuous flux.

I don't believe it would be fair of me to hold others to the same standard of living as I hold of myself simply because they may not hold the same things as valuable or see things in the same way. Expecting the same from everyone as I do myself would mean that I don't understand that there are vast variations in humankind. I may not understand the specific variations and why, and I may not agree, but everyone is entitled to their own way of life as long as it doesn't hurt anyone, which would be the only standard I'd hold them to. Yet, even the idea of what hurts someone and what doesn't is subjective.

Anyway, I try not to hold anyone to higher, lower, or the same standard as myself. I only control my behavior and ways of thinking. I only set my own standards. And that's hard enough. I'm not about to make decisions for someone else. If I like someone, I like them, if I don't, then I don't. We usually become disappointed or let down at some point when we try to enforce our standards on someone else, usually someone we care about.
It is better to have your mind opened by wonder

than closed by belief.
Lon

Standards

Post by Lon »

koan;386785 wrote: How standard are your standards? Do you judge others by higher or lower standards than than you use to judge yourself?

I really do not judge others. I may have an opinion based on what they write, how they speak or act, but to judge them, I would have to know them much better than I happen to know most people.

I don't feel that I am in a position to judge myself either. So I don't.

Return to “Polls, Polls, and more Polls”