Reincarnation??

A forum created specifically for polls.
CrazyCruizChick

Reincarnation??

Post by CrazyCruizChick »

Not to sure if I'm a believer in reincarnation but its a nice thought.
laneybug

Reincarnation??

Post by laneybug »

RedGlitter;597027 wrote: It just goes against how I feel things work. I think everyone gets one soul and makes transitions (dies) into other dimensions of life to continue their work. Getting a new soul or being reborn into a cactus or a new body makes no sense to me. I especially don't think a person will die and then return to this earth. In any form.

I'm not trying to hound you on this, I just don't see the difference between reincarnation and the soul transitioning into other life dimensions. I don't believe reincarnated souls necessarily come back to this world, although I think it's possible.
It is better to have your mind opened by wonder

than closed by belief.
laneybug

Reincarnation??

Post by laneybug »

magenta flame;598746 wrote: No Bryn that's wrong Your body rots you get a new one . You dont' come back with the imperfections of your last body.:)

Actually, Bryn is right. If you're speaking of resurrection in the biblical sense, Jesus, for example, was recognized by his disciples when he was resurrected, therefore he must have had the same body. Your body rotting and getting a new one is very much the concept of reincarnation. I'm sure if you do a little research you'll find this common theme in both definitions.

than closed by belief.
Uncle Fester

Reincarnation??

Post by Uncle Fester »

I have been told by believers that how you live your present life is how it is decided how you come back , if that is so I am in DEEP DEEP DEEP Trouble :o

IF YOU CAN'T SAY GOOD ABOUT SOME ONE , KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT

Did you know that too much chocolate shrinks your clothes

http://www.theparanormalcrypt.org/portal.php
YZGI

Reincarnation??

Post by YZGI »

Uncle Fester;599028 wrote: I have been told by believers that how you live your present life is how it is decided how you come back , if that is so I am in DEEP DEEP DEEP Trouble :o

Sounds like you are hoping rats do have souls.:wah: :cool:
zinkyusa

Reincarnation??

Post by zinkyusa »

Uncle Fester;599028 wrote: I have been told by believers that how you live your present life is how it is decided how you come back , if that is so I am in DEEP DEEP DEEP Trouble :o

since time is not linear you could come back before you were born:-3
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Reincarnation??

Post by 911 »

Reincarnation doesn't make much sense to me. That is, if you believe in that and nothing else, it's mathematically impossible. Whether you believe in evolution or creationism, you start out with just so many people. Those that are born before those beginners die, where do their souls come from?

I understand that some believe that you can become a tree or come from a tree. But that still doesn't make much sense to me. The soul, for me anyway, tell us how to feel, gives joy and increases wonder. How does a tree soul know anything but standing still and moving with the wind? The same for a turtle, noted I've met some slow people in my time but that's ridiculous! I can see being a person and then being a turtle but not the other way around.

So, my answer is no, I do not believe in reincarnation.

I have no doubt whatever that death is merely wakening into a different perception of reality, what I'm discussing is the meaning of the words. The two I don't recognise so far in this thread are God and Soul. It's the wrong thread to ask what God means, but asking what Soul means is fairly central when reincarnation's on the table. You say the soul is the part of you which carries all of your memories and personality after you die, that it forms no part whatever of the body, and that the brain also carries all of your memories and personality while you're alive. Why have the brain doing the same job? What benefit do you get from the redundancy? It seems far easier to come up with an alternative definition of soul than account for what seems impossible in evolutionary terms.

Nobody's told me whether a rat has a soul, either.

This is what I think, Spot. The soul is the goodness in all of us. It gives us compassion, love, joy, wonder, amazement. . . all the good stuff. The brain, guided through nurture or nature, is what makes us what we are-good or bad. They are two different things fighting within us all the time, sort of like our consciousness. Whether we listen to that little voice and let it guide us depends on how we are raised.

When we die, the brain dies but the soul lives on. And lives on with all the love and joy that we experienced. Now, just to veer a little off field here, that is the only way that (those who believe) we can enter Heaven and be with those we disliked or those that did us wrong on earth. There is nothing but love and goodness in the soul. I don't know about memories in the soul, in order to believe in that, I would have to believe in reincarnation and I don't. But you couldn't have memories in the soul and be around people who did you evil in life in Heaven. So, I don't believe that the soul has those memories. The soul was created with only one chapter, the good chapter. It's what we do with it that matters to our person or our brain.

And yes, I believe that rats have souls. All creatures have souls. It's like a pit bull dog. They are not born bad, they are taught to be bad.

JMO here. :)
When choosing between two evils, I always like to take the one I've never tried before.

Mae West
Jamesblonde

Reincarnation??

Post by Jamesblonde »

911;599739 wrote: Reincarnation doesn't make much sense to me. That is, if you believe in that and nothing else, it's mathematically impossible. Whether you believe in evolution or creationism, you start out with just so many people. Those that are born before those beginners die, where do their souls come from?

Hahahahahahahaha.

Sorry... Hehehe...

Ahhh that felt good. I'll read the rest next time I need cheering up.
CrazyCruizChick

Reincarnation??

Post by CrazyCruizChick »

I know this may sound silly but you got me thinking.

If Reincarnation did exist and you had been reborn would you have a link in DNA ?

:thinking:
spot

Reincarnation??

Post by spot »

911;599739 wrote: I don't know about memories in the soul, in order to believe in that, I would have to believe in reincarnation and I don't. But you couldn't have memories in the soul and be around people who did you evil in life in Heaven. So, I don't believe that the soul has those memories. The soul was created with only one chapter, the good chapter. It's what we do with it that matters to our person or our brain.By all means let my soul go where it will, then, but if it remembers nothing of my acts here in this lifetime it's not me we're talking about, it's an add-on part I feel no connection with and care nothing for.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
zinkyusa

Reincarnation??

Post by zinkyusa »

spot;600089 wrote: By all means let my soul go where it will, then, but if it remembers nothing of my acts here in this lifetime it's not me we're talking about, it's an add-on part I feel no connection with and care nothing for.

You may feel no connection with it, or care nothing for it, but that does affect it's existence. What if you did not want to feel a connection to your "spirit" or a shared oneness, had split off from it and "invented" a body (world, physical univers) to hide in, and be the new "you" and then dissociated the whole process? The you, who you now "think" yourself to would not know the real YOU exists.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.
spot

Reincarnation??

Post by spot »

My flesh and blood already performs all the acts I experience, zinky. An add-on soul which has no effect on the way I behave and which I can't detect isn't much of a benefit to me, it seems somewhat parasitical. This notion of something inserted into a newborn, without which the newborn will fail to be human, is medieval bunkum. By all means use the word "soul" to refer to some other aspect of my being and I'll have a use for the word but not if it's going to be an animating principle in a body which is perfectly animated without it.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.

Reincarnation??

Post by 911 »

Jamesblonde;599960 wrote: Hahahahahahahaha.

Sorry... Hehehe...

Ahhh that felt good. I'll read the rest next time I need cheering up.

Wow, that was wicked. :-3

Sorry, Precious, if I offended you. Perhaps I don't understand the concept of reincarnation totally. I understand enough to know that it doesn't fit into my lifestyle. I never want to belittle anyones beliefs. If that is what you think I was doing, let me apologize.

'Nuff said.
When choosing between two evils, I always like to take the one I've never tried before.

Mae West

Reincarnation??

Post by 911 »

spot;600114 wrote: My flesh and blood already performs all the acts I experience, zinky. An add-on soul which has no effect on the way I behave and which I can't detect isn't much of a benefit to me, it seems somewhat parasitical. This notion of something inserted into a newborn, without which the newborn will fail to be human, is medieval bunkum. By all means use the word "soul" to refer to some other aspect of my being and I'll have a use for the word but not if it's going to be an animating principle in a body which is perfectly animated without it.

But it does serve a purpose.

There can't be good without evil or evil without good.

Without a soul you would be nothing. Just a lump. The soul provides the goodness in you. The way you treat others, treat yourself, feel for others, or feel for life.

What you choose to do with those feelings is entirely up to you. Which wins, good or evil, becomes the person you are. Free will and all that.

Serial killers, murderers and such don't feel that good side so much anymore. The worst has taken them over. It's still there. That's why so many people believe in rehabilitation. But they have to want to feel that good part and most don't because evil has all the spurious fun, the quick highs, the mad rushes. . . the temporary feeling of euphoria.

It's there, Spot and it's not a parasite. It's part of you. And like your appendix, you don't notice it until it hurts.

Mae West
RedGlitter

Reincarnation??

Post by RedGlitter »

Ok, where do we derive the notion that the soul is only of the good? The soul is conscience. There are people who are blatantly evil walking around and they surely have a soul or they would cease to exist but it isn't good. I am not able to accept that the soul equals innate goodness. And I do think some people are born bad.
Jamesblonde

Reincarnation??

Post by Jamesblonde »

911;600125 wrote:

Sorry, Precious, if I offended you.

I doubt that could ever happen so don't trouble yourself on my account.
laneybug

Reincarnation??

Post by laneybug »

RedGlitter;600660 wrote: Ok, where do we derive the notion that the soul is only of the good? The soul is conscience. There are people who are blatantly evil walking around and they surely have a soul or they would cease to exist but it isn't good. I am not able to accept that the soul equals innate goodness. And I do think some people are born bad.

I completely disagree with people being born "bad." I believe in reincarnation, and let's say someone was a serial killer in their previous life, I believe that we keep coming back in some form or another, in some plane or another, to get it "right" with each try. De ja vu, anyone? So in my opinion, the concept of being born innately and totally evil isn't correct to me since what would be the point of continually coming back to live it right if you're soul is evil anyway?? Eh, but this all comes from Buddhist philosophy and the belief that there is an end to the constant reincarnations through enlightenment and freedom from a body. And also the belief that in everyone there is goodness.

than closed by belief.
laneybug

Reincarnation??

Post by laneybug »

Jamesblonde;600691 wrote: I doubt that could ever happen so don't trouble yourself on my account.

Now now. Let's play nice children.

Oh, and by the way, if you're going to insult someone, try getting some gonads to actually come out and say what you disagree with and be intelligible. That way, if you're gonna be an ass, at least we've got more material to bat around. :rolleyes:

than closed by belief.
Jamesblonde

Reincarnation??

Post by Jamesblonde »

laneybug;600766 wrote: Now now. Let's play nice children.

Oh, and by the way, if you're going to insult someone, try getting some gonads to actually come out and say what you disagree with and be intelligible. That way, if you're gonna be an ass, at least we've got more material to bat around. :rolleyes:

So you have no interest in the subject and are merely looking for material to bat around eh? Probably to show your little simian cohorts how big your cajones are.

Well, have another banana.

One wonders why you people ever switched to colour TV, it reflects your view of the universe so well.

Born bad and born good.

Totally ridiculous, there is an element or potential for both in all things. Actions, be they good or bad are merely the manifestation of conditioning and circumstance with an added element of human rationalism (or more likely irrationalism), the ability to choose. The interpretation and effects of the consequence of human action may be interpreted on many levels that transcend such purile notions as good and bad.

Reincarnation??

Post by 911 »

Jamesblonde;601625 wrote: So you have no interest in the subject and are merely looking for material to bat around eh? Probably to show your little simian cohorts how big your cajones are.

One wonders why you people ever switched to colour TV, it reflects your view of the universe so well.

Born bad and born good.

Totally ridiculous, there is an element or potential for both in all things. Actions, be they good or bad are merely the manifestation of conditioning and circumstance with an added element of human rationalism (or more likely irrationalism), the ability to choose. The interpretation and effects of the consequence of human action may be interpreted on many levels that transcend such purile notions as good and bad.

"You people"? Gad, man, are you still watching black and white?

the ability to choose. Ummm, isn't that what I said? :-2

Mae West
laneybug

Reincarnation??

Post by laneybug »

Jamesblonde;601625 wrote: So you have no interest in the subject and are merely looking for material to bat around eh? Probably to show your little simian cohorts how big your cajones are.

Born bad and born good.

Of course I have interest in the subject or I wouldn't have started the poll in the first place, or discussed my thoughts on it as I have in my previous posts. As for more material to bat around.... I'm not only interested in my opinions and stating them. I do like learning about others. I don't have any simian cohorts neither do I have cajones, thank god.

than closed by belief.
Jamesblonde

Reincarnation??

Post by Jamesblonde »

laneybug;604292 wrote: I don't have any simian cohorts neither do I have cajones, thank god.

Not even metaphorical ones? Well if you want you can borrow some of mine.
laneybug

Reincarnation??

Post by laneybug »

Jamesblonde;604346 wrote: Not even metaphorical ones? Well if you want you can borrow some of mine.

Heh, reminds me of when I used to chat online a lot. I told some cat that I was a girl and he said, "No way, your soul is way too loud to be female." Whatever the hell that means. I don't think he was aware that my tits don't get in the way of my brain, therefore, I can still debate like the wind. Though I took it as a compliment.

But yeah... I'm like a female hyena. Mock penis and all.

Ohh that might not go over so well....:lips:

than closed by belief.
Jamesblonde

Reincarnation??

Post by Jamesblonde »

I never knew female hyena's had mock penises.

Well you learn something new every day don't you.

:D
Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

Reincarnation??

Post by Bryn Mawr »

magenta flame;599962 wrote: Oh Bryn come on you're not that dumb. so don't waste my time, read the verses then get back to me. the whole chapter of these instances may shed some light on the subject

OK - suppose you tell me your reading of the chapter?

I see two possible readings, one that Jesus did not return to the flesh and that the disciples were seeing a ghost and the other that he had returned to the flesh in his own body. Obviously the first is not the standard Church line.

As to the meaning of the word itself, rather than the Christian interpretation of it, I definitely understand it to be the returning of life to a dead body - not the re-incarnation of a person into a new body.

Return to “Polls, Polls, and more Polls”