Wheat, good or bad

koan

Wheat, good or bad

Post by koan »

For someone sensitive to wheat, but not feeling like enduring wheat free bread, what is better: regular "enriched white flour" crap or whole wheat bread?

They both have wheat but would the whole wheat actually be worse for me?
WonderWendy3

Wheat, good or bad

Post by WonderWendy3 »

I am a cheater...I eat the honey wheat bread, not the best for you...but better than white....my mom always disliked wheat, still does, so not until well into adult-hood did I know that I should be eating Wheat bread!:o:o
guppy

Wheat, good or bad

Post by guppy »

i eat multi grain bread.as long as it says it contains whole grains..i like it..i dunno about the wheat stuff koan..have you tried oat bread..i love that to pieces...as long as the bread is whole grain is the most important health aspect of it...
koan

Wheat, good or bad

Post by koan »

Rye is really good. It's just heavier.

Sourdough is my all time favourite though. Wow. Ok. Going to buy sourdough tomorrow.
G-man

Wheat, good or bad

Post by G-man »

Well the enriched 'crap' is kinda' like brown sugar... ie highly refined white sugar with molasses added afterwards (which is not so healthy for our bodies). Regular wheat bread is better, but perhaps not so much for one with a sensitivity to it... and I'd imagine that taste-wise this would be a different issue, too.

I'm going to have to learn how to work around that wheat sensitivity when I'm cooking and baking for you from now on. :p

Signature text removed at the request of a member.

Participate in The unOfficial Forum Garden Scavenger Hunt 2009!

Nomad

Wheat, good or bad

Post by Nomad »

Whats wrong with pumpernikel ? Its tasty and all brown...whats better than that ?
I AM AWESOME MAN
chonsigirl

Wheat, good or bad

Post by chonsigirl »

I cannot eat anything with gluten in it-so, no wheat in any way, shape or form. No oatmeal either-just corn and rice for the carbs.

If you are sensitive to wheat, you really cannot eat any of the other kinds of bread, there is wheat in it!
koan

Wheat, good or bad

Post by koan »

kamut?

I've gone on strict diets before where I made pretty much everything from scratch to avoid my sensitivities but it means never eating out at restaurants or at a friend's house. The only other alternative is to allow small quantities of the allergens so I can maintain a tolerance level.
chonsigirl

Wheat, good or bad

Post by chonsigirl »

If you can tolerate wheat, do so at small levels. I know I can't have any of it, or will be sick for a couple of days. I don't eat out much, or only eat salads and things like that. It is not alot of fun.

You can get rice flour, and make most things you would usually have-I just don't have the time. Rice cakes and tortillas substitute for bread for me.
tedhutchinson

Wheat, good or bad

Post by tedhutchinson »

Whole wheat In my opinion no one should ever eat refined grains. It really is a scam that foods with all the goodness removed cost less than those presented in a more natural and wholesome state complete with all their nutrients.

One of the reasons for the inability of many people to deal with stress, hence the high number of anti-depressant prescriptions, is magnesium deficiency and that arises because people don't eat wholewheat bread/cereals.
Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

Wheat, good or bad

Post by Bryn Mawr »

koan;730654 wrote: For someone sensitive to wheat, but not feeling like enduring wheat free bread, what is better: regular "enriched white flour" crap or whole wheat bread?

They both have wheat but would the whole wheat actually be worse for me?

If you have a gluten allergy then there is one solution - neither.

Anything less and your problems continue.
koan

Wheat, good or bad

Post by koan »

I guess I have to decide how far I want 'healthy' to go. There are a number of specialty restaurants now that cater to people with common allergens. Wheat is a lot tougher to avoid than dairy and the price of food skyrockets.
kate_592

Wheat, good or bad

Post by kate_592 »

HI there

I am allergic to wheat so only do gluten free stuff. Its getting more common now so there are lots of prodcuts out there. I get gluten free flour to make cakes and they taste better than the normal kind. I am also allergic to dairy. IT jsut takes a bit of discipline and paitence but if you have an intolerance best to go off them and then maybe later you can reintroduce wheat to your diet.

Kate
tedhutchinson

Wheat, good or bad

Post by tedhutchinson »

This talk explains why and how our bodies have not yet evolved to cope well with certain foods. Although the talk is aimed at those with MS the principles underlie a lot of the chronic illnesses of western society.

Loren Cordain: Potential Therapeutic Characteristics of Pre-agricultural Diets in the Prevention and Treatment of Multiple Sclerosis

The answer is to live and eat in ways our bodies evolved to deal with. I'm not suggesting you go back to living in caves. Simply ensuring you ensure your vitamin d status is equivalent to that the human body naturally acquires given regular sun exposure and you eat those foods that would have been available locally and seasonally. The Paleo Diet explains this in greater detail.

May I suggest you also read The Diet Delusion: Challenging the Conventional Wisdom on Diet, Weight Loss and Disease or Good Calories, Bad Calories as it is titled in the USA.

I think it is easier and simpler just to eat the low carb way. This plan is fairly straightforward .
Betty Boop

Wheat, good or bad

Post by Betty Boop »

kate_592;782611 wrote: HI there

I am allergic to wheat so only do gluten free stuff. Its getting more common now so there are lots of prodcuts out there. I get gluten free flour to make cakes and they taste better than the normal kind. I am also allergic to dairy. IT jsut takes a bit of discipline and paitence but if you have an intolerance best to go off them and then maybe later you can reintroduce wheat to your diet.

Kate

:confused: wheat and gluten can be two seperate allergies, please be aware that if you are only allergic to wheat that some items claiming to be 'gluten free' still may contain wheat or wheat derivitives!!
kate_592

Wheat, good or bad

Post by kate_592 »

Thanks for that - I will be careful - its all so confusing. fat free, wheat free, dairy free etc Even yesterday I oped yogurt that said it was 100% stress free. Can you imagine?
tedhutchinson

Wheat, good or bad

Post by tedhutchinson »

kate_592;783148 wrote: Thanks for that - I will be careful - its all so confusing. fat free, wheat free, dairy free etc Even yesterday I oped yogurt that said it was 100% stress free. Can you imagine?
You can ignore the fat free warnings. Just cutting out pasta, rice, potatoes, bread or sugar will make a huge difference to your quality of life.

If you haven't yet listened to Loren Cordain's talk then do make the effort. It will help you understand how our diets are making us ill.
Bikiniguy23

Wheat, good or bad

Post by Bikiniguy23 »

People who are sensitive to wheat, may be a celiac.

Those type cannot eat wheat products, only stuff that claim gluten free.
tedhutchinson

Wheat, good or bad

Post by tedhutchinson »

The reason those of us with paler skin have white as opposed to brown skin was to obtain more Vitamin D from sunlight and thus be more fertile and better able to thrive at latitudes above 35degrees.

Now we keep our skin surface area 95% covered for most of the time and spend less time with even our face and hands exposed covered with sunscreen we have historically the lowest ever levels of natural anti inflammatory Vitamin D3. This means we are more prone to suffer inflammatory condtions.

While eliminating wheat, or gluten containing products is a good way of alleviating this condition, improving our natural anti inflammatory status by attaining and maintaining a natural vitamin d status equivalent to that paleo man enjoyed will make the situation even better. Having a paleo vitamin d status together with eating a paleo style diet means your body is working as it became fine tuned over 2 million years evolution.

We know that 5000iu of vitamiin d daily achieves a 25(OH)D level around 50ng or 125nmol/l. This is the level at which the body starts to store Vitamin D. It optimises the availability of Vitamin D in breast milk.

We all take for granted the common sense idea that until your daily earnings exceed your daily expenditure you cannot save successfully.

The same common sense logic applies to your bodies use of vitamin D3.

Your body uses around 4000iu daily

So only when your total daily intake exceeds 4000iu/d will your body have some spare to put away for the winter or for emergency use.

It takes roughly 5 minutes FULL BODY sun exposure to create 1000iu so 20mins daily full body sun exposure or the equivalent in supplemental D3 is required as a daily minimum.

I live at latitude 52. I take 5000iu/daily. I also get as much full body sun exposure as possible. My maximum 25(OH)D at the end of last summer was 59ng 147.5nmol/l.

The vitamin D cure website has useful information and resources.

Return to “Fitness Nutrition”