Guns Bullets People

A forum created specifically for polls.
Nomad

Guns Bullets People

Post by Nomad »

Stories of children being injured or killed by stray bullets in our metropolitan dwellings are becoming all too frequent.

My feeble mind tells me this is unnacceptable. No way should this continue.

The problem appears to be kids are getting their hands on guns.

Guns can be bought by anyone with dollars.

Some or many more are stolen. A child with a bullet in her head is enough reason for me to believe the line has been crossed and drastic changes and maybe even liberties are in dire need of severe upheaval in this country.

Our current gun laws arent working as evidenced by whos holding the guns now. Namely gangs.

Please watch this video. (brief commercial prior to the vid)

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/us/200 ... .head.kcra
I AM AWESOME MAN
CARLA

Guns Bullets People

Post by CARLA »

I with you Nomie 100%. But the Gun people will disagree 100% until one of their own is killed by a stray bullet from an illegal gun. There are to many guns on the street and both sides have to figure out how to stop this flow.:-5

[QUOTE]Stories of children being injured or killed by stray bullets in our metropolitan dwellings are becoming all too frequent.

My feeble mind tells me this is unnacceptable. No way should this continue.

The problem appears to be kids are getting their hands on guns.

Guns can be bought by anyone with dollars.

Some or many more are stolen. A child with a bullet in her head is enough reason for me to believe the line has been crossed and drastic changes and maybe even liberties are in dire need of severe upheaval in this country.

Our current gun laws arent working as evidenced by whos holding the guns now. Namely gangs.[/QUOTE]
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

spot

Guns Bullets People

Post by spot »

I think all ammunition should have that batch dust in it which allows forensic identification of the supply chain, and that possession of unmarked or stolen ammunition should be heavily penalized.

Other than that small adjustment, what do legal guns and illegal guns have to do with each other? Changing the ownership rules of legal guns isn't going to affect illegal gun possession or use one iota.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Nomad

Guns Bullets People

Post by Nomad »

spot;907059 wrote: I think all ammunition should have that batch dust in it which allows forensic identification of the supply chain, and that possession of unmarked or stolen ammunition should be heavily penalized.

Other than that small adjustment, what do legal guns and illegal guns have to do with each other? Changing the ownership rules of legal guns isn't going to affect illegal gun possession or use one iota.

I agree, the machine is just too big.

A thought comes to mind though, no action is an action. By initiating innovative gun laws now might prevent more guns from getting into the wrong hands later.

The whole process of gun ownership needs to be turned upside down.

We need to think outside of the box on this one.

Little girls playing in the park should not end up with stray bullets implanted in their skulls.

That in and of itself is enough to say enough.

Batch dust and forensics are incredible tools for tracing but its still after the fact.

We need prevention.

At the same time I realize the NRA and gun lobbies will make this nearly impossible.
I AM AWESOME MAN

Guns Bullets People

Post by 911 »

I've done everything I have to do in order to own and carry a gun.

They are registered and I have a permit. But, none of that helps if someone breaks into my house and steals my gun and kills someone with it. Their fault, not mine.

A gun owned by an idiot doesn't make the gun an idiot. Any fool that shoots a gun in the air, keeps it in a house with children without a trigger guard or put out of their reach is still a fool. The gun doesn't shoot children, fools do.

Even if we get rid of all the guns in America, someone will find a way to get one here. Same as drugs. If we get rid of guns, then knives will become a problem and then only grocery stores, delis or restaurants will be able to own a knife.

Same with cars. Because someone runs over a child while talking on the cell phone or looking the other way doesn't mean we should get rid of cars. Alcohol is still being sold even though more and more people are being killed by drunk drivers.

I don't have the answer. The laws are already there. Just as the laws for murder, but it still happens. And some murders happen with no gun being involved.

Let's think of a way for this to never happen. Perhaps a gun school before one can be bought. Like a drivers license, you have to pass before you can buy one. Psychological testing included. Maybe raise the legal age to own a gun. But you have to include rifles, shotguns and BB guns in that also.

I just can't think of a way to keep guns out of the hands of an incompetent person and still let the rest of us own one for self defense.
When choosing between two evils, I always like to take the one I've never tried before.

Mae West
spot

Guns Bullets People

Post by spot »

911;907164 wrote: I just can't think of a way to keep guns out of the hands of an incompetent person and still let the rest of us own one for self defense.

When in Rome do as the Romans. America is always going to have more guns than criminals whether anyone can legally own guns or not, that's the American way. We're not like that in Europe. It's not what's on sale or the terms you can legally hold one under, it's the way people behave.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Nomad

Guns Bullets People

Post by Nomad »

Ok 911, I get all of that and weve all heard the same arguments back and forth for ages.

Theres this nagging thought I cant escape though.

The girl has the right to not get shot more than you have the right to exercise your right to gun ownership.

Your statement that its not your fault if a gun is stolen from your house doesnt wash with me.

You have an extraordinary responsibility to make sure that does not happen, that gun must remain inaccessible.

Nothing personal here ok but Id rather see you take a risk than the child.
I AM AWESOME MAN

Guns Bullets People

Post by 911 »

Nomad;907191 wrote: Ok 911, I get all of that and weve all heard the same arguments back and forth for ages.

Theres this nagging thought I cant escape though.

The girl has the right to not get shot more than you have the right to exercise your right to gun ownership.

Your statement that its not your fault if a gun is stolen from your house doesnt wash with me.

You have an extraordinary responsibility to make sure that does not happen, that gun must remain inaccessible.

Nothing personal here ok but Id rather see you take a risk than the child.

I can see your point, who wouldn't?

But her rights are the same as mine. They're rights. I should leave myself venerable to thugs on the off chance that someone might take my gun and kill a kid?

We had a ten year old shoot another ten year old the other day. Not many details yet, but in my opinion, the owner of that gun should go to jail, do not pass go, do not collect $200.00. . . .

I take extraordinary care with my weapons. There are no children around and I don't play with them. They are there if I need them and that's it. The state law states that I must retreat as far as possible until I cannot and then I can defend myself. MYSELF, not my things. But, the mayor changed that and said I can shoot anyone attempting to take my car or any material things I have. Not sure I would do that. It's just a car. Suppose in the dark of night it turns out to be a 12 year old kid fiddling with my car. I'm not sure the grand jury would see it his way. Besides, my car is one that traps them inside and they cannot get out without smashing a window or I let them out. (I love that feature!)

I agree there are too many thugs with guns, puffed chests, and egos to kill. But taking everyones gun is not right. Find a way to keep them from getting in the hands of anyone, and maybe I'll give mine up.

As I said earlier, what's next? Some hoodlum stabbing you to get your wallet? What then?
When choosing between two evils, I always like to take the one I've never tried before.

Mae West
Nomad

Guns Bullets People

Post by Nomad »

what's next? Some hoodlum stabbing you to get your wallet? What then?

I dont know.
I AM AWESOME MAN

Guns Bullets People

Post by 911 »

Nomad;907398 wrote: I dont know.

I don't either and therein lies the rub.

It's a merry-go-round and we can't seem to get off. :D

Mae West
spot

Guns Bullets People

Post by spot »

There are good things about living in the US and there are bad. It's just an inevitable background fact of life that thirty thousand citizens a year get their bodies torn to shreds by firearm discharge for one reason or another. Sucks to them, they get to eat all they want beforehand, they have the best education money can buy, the best weather God ever invented for the enjoyment of mortal man, their health's cosseted at every turn and no damn furriner is ever going to march down their high street and rape their womenfolk, no sirree. Bullets flying now and then is just part of how they achieve it all.
CARLA

Guns Bullets People

Post by CARLA »

RJ you said it better than me this is my point exactly. Time to work together on removing the guns from the streets of all our cities.

[QUOTE]You personally seem to be a reasonable person and a responsible gun owner. There are many such as yourself, but there are many more that are not. I think guns have become such a negative public safety issue that its time for those who are reasonable and responsible gun owners to step up to the plate and relate an understanding that far too many unintended consequences occur due to guns and get behind some reasonable and responsible regulations instead of letting the NRA and the rest of the gun lobby own this debate on such extreme grounds.[/QUOTE]
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

spot

Guns Bullets People

Post by spot »

Jester;908017 wrote: And I did not vote in your poll, there isnt an option that best sums up what I think.Nor me, sunshine, nor me for that very reason.
Accountable

Guns Bullets People

Post by Accountable »

The laws are plenty adequate - overdone even. Enforecement of those laws suck, that's all.
Nomad

Guns Bullets People

Post by Nomad »

Jester;908017 wrote: Ok Nomad I have an answer for you...

We can stop the criminal use of firearms by putting anyone who uses a firearm in the process of committing a crime to death immeidiatly, one appeal to the supreme court only (just to keep ourself in check) then hang them.

Nigligent use of a fire arm (making one accessible to children) that either leads to an accidental shooting or possibly could, needs to be stiffined, in order for folks to understand how serious the protection of our children is.

The use of a firearm in suicide is still one I cant stop, nor do I personally believe I should try.

Don't ban weapons and their ligitimate use, but make someone who uses a weapon illegally pay for it with thier lives. Then you WILL greatly decrease the 30,000 deaths a year from firearms. (after, you get through several years of indirect deaths from hanging the idiots who use them illegally of course.)

And I did not vote in your poll, there isnt an option that best sums up what I think.

Well, Id prefer less death.

All the way around Jes.

Besides I dont believe the death penalty is a deterrent now. I dont think that hanging over their heads is what stops people from killing. Its the other thing. The its wrong thing.
I AM AWESOME MAN
GunZ

Guns Bullets People

Post by GunZ »

Jester;908017 wrote: Ok Nomad I have an answer for you...

We can stop the criminal use of firearms by putting anyone who uses a firearm in the process of committing a crime to death immeidiatly, one appeal to the supreme court only (just to keep ourself in check) then hang them.

Nigligent use of a fire arm (making one accessible to children) that either leads to an accidental shooting or possibly could, needs to be stiffined, in order for folks to understand how serious the protection of our children is.

The use of a firearm in suicide is still one I cant stop, nor do I personally believe I should try.

Don't ban weapons and their ligitimate use, but make someone who uses a weapon illegally pay for it with thier lives. Then you WILL greatly decrease the 30,000 deaths a year from firearms. (after, you get through several years of indirect deaths from hanging the idiots who use them illegally of course.)

And I did not vote in your poll, there isnt an option that best sums up what I think.

You're such a softy Jester. :wah:

Return to “Polls, Polls, and more Polls”