moderator status to be displayed - Yes or No?

A forum created specifically for polls.
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

spot;940011 wrote: If you can indicate where anyone's suggested that might happen, I'd be interested to see it. I think you've put up Aunt Sally so you can knock her over and get applause for doing it.

Sure.

Because I've been on forums where the word "Moderator" appears on the side panel next to each post alongside the username and those posters are treated differently by the membership, it establishes a two-class system. On ForumGarden the "Supporting Member" tag comes perilously close to that already for new members but once they're told that no additional functionality is associated with the label it's less of a division. I still, for all the propaganda here that it has no social effect, think it has a social effect, but not an intolerable one and it does edge people toward keeping the place running financially. An equivalent "Moderator" tag has no such excuse and would be far more divisive, just as it has been on other sites I've posted at. If anyone insists, I'll provide names of sites in a PM where it's so.
spot

Post by spot »

There's a world of difference between being allowed to do a thing and feeling able to. Nobody's said that if a Moderator were labelled Moderator on each post he'd not be allowed to post as a member, I said they'd be treated differently by the membership, they'd be in a different class, that the label would divide the Moderators from the remaining members. I said I've been on other sites where that was the case and that I can name them if anyone wants to go and look to see I'm right. It would indeed be asinine to suggest that a Moderator wouldn't be allowed to post as a member but nobody has raised that possibility except you, as an Aunt Sally, in order to knock it over to seem to have made a valid point. It's not a valid point, nobody suggested it.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

spot;940060 wrote: (snip)but nobody has raised that possibility except you, as an Aunt Sally, in order to knock it over to seem to have made a valid point. It's not a valid point, nobody suggested it.

Actually I was referring to this:

I like it the way it is and I dont think anyones behaviour will change just because they have a moderator badge on. Generally most mods are ok. If they are stopped from posting well who am I going to talk to:thinking:

I do wish you'd can the Aunt Sally bit and stop assuming you know why I say what I do.
spot

Post by spot »

RedGlitter;940071 wrote: Actually I was referring to thisThen why did you say actually you were referring to the post I made instead?

You made your "asinine" comment BEFORE the kayleneaussie post you just quoted from, you know. You were the cause of kayleneaussie's remark, you weren't reacting to it. I do wish you'd stop fighting me just because I'm being critical. Sometimes people need to be criticized.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

Because it was YOU who implied that by being labeled as a mod, that person would somehow be uncomfortable posting as a member. Apparently you did not make your implications clear.Now please stop picking at straws.
spot

Post by spot »

RedGlitter;940077 wrote: Because it was YOU who implied that by being labeled as a mod, that person would somehow be uncomfortable posting as a member. Apparently you did not make your implications clear.Now please stop picking at straws.

And "Actually I was referring to this" was what? Clutching at straws that turned out not to exist at all? It's scarcely a minor point when you claim to have referred to a post which hadn't even been made when your comment went up, I think you invent things on occasion.

All we seem to differ over is the meaning of the word "allowed". We can't both be right. It doesn't mean "somehow be uncomfortable".
theia

Post by theia »

If moderator status is displayed, then we won't ever have any more of those threads asking who the moderators are :-1 And I like those, because I've usually forgotten by then who they are and it's like discovering something new all over again, and I like that too :-6
Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke
spot

Post by spot »

theia;940121 wrote: I've usually forgotten by then who they are and it's like discovering something new all over again, and I like that too :-6

If it's any consolation, I keep a cheat sheet to remind me.
Chezzie

Post by Chezzie »

So how do we resolve this?

Ask TS to read this thread and look at the poll figures and then see what his opinion of it is. Am I right in thinking that the ultimate decision falls in his hands?
Chezzie

Post by Chezzie »

Jester;940135 wrote: hehehe I think the decision has already been made... there is not moderator sign on any mod.

Looks like to me this thread was started by a toublemaker who is now banned. Besides there are 22 mods now that can sway this vote thier way very easily.

That maybe so Jester but somebody has reopened a dead thread asking the same question, I think it would be rude to just ignore them and I feel it better to have closure so we all know where we stand, rather than have a thread go on and on asking the same question. Just sayin:rolleyes:
spot

Post by spot »

Jester;940135 wrote: hehehe I think the decision has already been made... there is not moderator sign on any mod.

Looks like to me this thread was started by a toublemaker who is now banned. Besides there are 22 mods now that can sway this vote thier way very easily.

Just so. The fact that a poll was started by some newbie looking for a fight eight months ago is a total irrelevance when it comes to deciding whether the moderator status is going to be displayed or not.
spot

Post by spot »

Chezzie;940138 wrote: That maybe so Jester but somebody has reopened a dead thread asking the same question, I think it would be rude to just ignore them and I feel it better to have closure so we all know where we stand, rather than have a thread go on and on asking the same question. Just sayin:rolleyes:

If you insist.

No, we're not going to display the moderator status against the username on every post.
Chezzie

Post by Chezzie »

spot;940139 wrote: Just so. The fact that a poll was started by some newbie looking for a fight eight months ago is a total irrelevance when it comes to deciding whether the moderator status is going to be displayed or not.

Well since the poll is more for than against right now and for the fact this has been resurfaced, I think regardless of one persons view, it should be brought to TS's attention and if he says NO, so be it, I dont think any individual here has the right to say yeah or nay.

I will take it upon myself to alert TS to this question and let him have the final say and get closure one way or another. Sorry Theia:o

For the record, I voted yes when I was a member but now im a mod I say no....womans perogative an all that:D

Return to “Polls, Polls, and more Polls”