Unintelligibly illiterate BBC News article link text

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
theia

Post by theia »

spot;1395772 wrote: Malaysian company buys Battersea

Malaysian company buys Battersea Dogs' Home? Malaysian company buys Battersea MP? Malaysian company buys Battersea Park Tube Station? Malaysian company buys Battersea Arts Centre? Malaysian company buys Battersea Square?

Some stupid bloody work-experience school-leaver with all the academic qualifications of a Sergeant of Marines is wrecking the BBC Website with meaningless shorthand like this.

Following your link, as I did, it appears they have changed the headline
Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke
spot

Post by spot »

theia;1395786 wrote: Following your link, as I did, it appears they have changed the headline

The headline on the article was always complete, what I quoted and complained about (there and throughout the thread) is the shortened text used to link to the story from other pages on the site.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
spot

Post by spot »

Like this...

Attached files
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

It is, after all , a teaser, an appetizer, a clue to prick your curiosity.

I saw and read your earlier post and thought it was one for your anti BBC vendetta.......it said.

Shakespeare's Curtain Theatre remains found

Now THAT has to be read twice before the meaning is clear........or at least could have been put better.....although on the face of it, it is correct...............language is like that.
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
spot

Post by spot »

I don't want the BBC News site to be anything but efficient and informative. I can arrange to be teased elsewhere whenever I'm inclined that way.

"Shakespeare's Curtain Theatre remains lost" would have been ambiguous, had that been the story.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

spot;1395799 wrote: I don't want the BBC News site to be anything but efficient and informative. I can arrange to be teased elsewhere whenever I'm inclined that way.

"Shakespeare's Curtain Theatre remains lost" would have been ambiguous, had that been the story.

So vote with your feet/browser go elsewhere.
spot

Post by spot »

Bruv;1395819 wrote: So vote with your feet/browser go elsewhere.

I use other sites. This thread is just a drip more pressure on the BBC to get the content straight. There's no reason for it being screwy.
spot

Post by spot »

I was totally bewildered by "Boyle defends Paralympic jokes". Katie Boyle? Susan Boyle?

It turns out to be some dyspeptic nonentity from Belfast of whom I've never heard. Why's that news at all? He's evidently a talentless git, leave him to drown in his own obscurity.
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

She always was a feisty one that Katie Boyle. Always had a twinkle in her eye when giving out the Eurovision scores in French. I always had a thing about Katie

Frankie, who's Scottish, will probably get a slap one day
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
theia

Post by theia »

Snowfire;1402633 wrote: She always was a feisty one that Katie Boyle. Always had a twinkle in her eye when giving out the Eurovision scores in French. I always had a thing about Katie

Frankie, who's Scottish, will probably get a slap one day

Katie Boyle used to appear on Juke Box Jury (before your time, Snowfire) and she was so unsuited to it. I used to hate it when she was on the panel.
Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

spot;1402631 wrote: I was totally bewildered by "Boyle defends Paralympic jokes". Katie Boyle? Susan Boyle?

It turns out to be some dyspeptic nonentity from Belfast of whom I've never heard. Why's that news at all? He's evidently a talentless git, leave him to drown in his own obscurity.
Most of the Country knows who Frankie Boyle Is over Katie Boyle....

The mere fact that he's been plastered all over the media just days before gives a slight Indication as to who they mean.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

theia;1402635 wrote: Katie Boyle used to appear on Juke Box Jury (before your time, Snowfire) and she was so unsuited to it. I used to hate it when she was on the panel.

It's kind of you to say so but sadly I'm old enough to remember Juke Box Jury very well

Winston Churchill
theia

Post by theia »

Snowfire;1402639 wrote: It's kind of you to say so but sadly I'm old enough to remember Juke Box Jury very well

Maybe...but in black and white? :thinking:
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

theia;1402641 wrote: Maybe...but in black and white? :thinking:

Oh yes...625 lines....transmitted from Croydon as I remember. The horizontal hold would play up and roll untill Dad gave it a thump

Winston Churchill
spot

Post by spot »

405 lines.

"I'll give it five".
theia

Post by theia »

spot;1402644 wrote: 405 lines.

"I'll give it five".

That was that Brummie girl on the other channel's show, wasn't it? :-5 I can't even remember her name or the name of the other show.

Oh but I can remember the horizontal hold!!
spot

Post by spot »

Ready Steady Go, I imagine.

I wanted to be David Jacobs.
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

At the time of its introduction the 405-line system was referred to as "high definition", which it was compared to earlier systems, although of lower definition than 625-line and later standards.

High definition eh ? I don't ever remember seeing Mr Pastry in Hi-Def

Winston Churchill
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

spot;1402644 wrote: 405 lines.

"I'll give it five".

Foive............................or it wouldn't be memorable
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

theia;1402645 wrote: That was that Brummie girl on the other channel's show, wasn't it? :-5 I can't even remember her name or the name of the other show.

Oh but I can remember the horizontal hold!!

Thank Your Lucky Stars

Winston Churchill
spot

Post by spot »

theia;1402635 wrote: Katie Boyle used to appear on Juke Box Jury (before your time, Snowfire) and she was so unsuited to it. I used to hate it when she was on the panel.
It's niggling at me that someone else in the same unsuited boat did too and it won't go away until I remember who. Lady Lady Lady.... umm. Isobel Barnet.
theia

Post by theia »

Janice Nicholls (and I didn't Google)
Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

Post by Bryn Mawr »

oscar;1402638 wrote: Most of the Country knows who Frankie Boyle Is over Katie Boyle....

The mere fact that he's been plastered all over the media just days before gives a slight Indication as to who they mean.

I'd assumed it referred to Danny - who's Frankie?
spot

Post by spot »

Bryn Mawr;1402982 wrote: I'd assumed it referred to Danny - who's Frankie?

Don't look at me, I'm still ignorant.
Oscar Namechange

Bryn Mawr;1402982 wrote: I'd assumed it referred to Danny - who's Frankie?

Frankie Boyle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

Post by Bryn Mawr »

oscar;1403006 wrote: Frankie Boyle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

No wonder I've never heard of him!
Oscar Namechange

Bryn Mawr;1403055 wrote: No wonder I've never heard of him! He's what they call ' An alternative comedian'... He's very controversial and prior was the subject of a huge media debate for comments he made about Katie Price's disabled son.

As a panalist on ' Mock the Week' a satirical look at the weeks politics, they tend to muzzle him but he did a series of stand up called Tramadol nights or something that was awful. One of the crudest and most foul people on tv.
spot

Post by spot »

The country's seen slobs like that before, they haven't earned the label "comedian". The disgusting Ann Winterton, for one. That fat dead bastard for another. Jim Davidson for a third.
Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

Post by Bryn Mawr »

oscar;1403068 wrote: He's what they call ' An alternative comedian'... He's very controversial and prior was the subject of a huge media debate for comments he made about Katie Price's disabled son.

As a panalist on ' Mock the Week' a satirical look at the weeks politics, they tend to muzzle him but he did a series of stand up called Tramadol nights or something that was awful. One of the crudest and most foul people on tv.

Having seen Roy "Chubby" Brown I know the type and I'm not surprised that I do not know the individual - long may that continue.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

Frankie Boyle is nothing like Chubby Brown or Jim Davidson.......in my opinion.

Chubby Brown is an acquired taste, Jim Davidson requires a lack of taste.

Frankie Boyle is worth a try if you like 'challenging' humour, I do.
Oscar Namechange

Bruv;1403145 wrote: Frankie Boyle is nothing like Chubby Brown or Jim Davidson.......in my opinion.

Frankie Boyle is worth a try if you like 'challenging' humour, I do. He can be rightly termed as a ' Comedian' based on the fact that he Is amusing to some. Not to me but some people find him funny and his stand up's are sell out shows.
Oscar Namechange

Bryn Mawr;1403071 wrote: Having seen Roy "Chubby" Brown I know the type and I'm not surprised that I do not know the individual - long may that continue.

Approx 7 years I was at my companies quarterly conference. They always laid on 'team bonding' entertainment which was always huge fun and we always looked forward to what new surprise we were to get. The best was an African drum team came In and we all found bongo drums on our seats when we returned from lunch... the team took us through a routine step by step and then we had to do It all together.. huge fun seeing business men In suits with drums between their legs.... another time we had an Indian dance group who took us through a traditional dance routine of Bangla beat which I loved... so we were all anticipating the next quarters entertainment and they wheeled out Chubby Brown....I can say hand on heart he did not raise one lonesome laugh out of 300 people... It was awful... lead balloon or what??? At one point he asked If we were offended and someone just shouted out ' No.. your just not funny... whip round for Mr Brown's bus fare.... that got a laugh !!!
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

Bruv;1403145 wrote: Frankie Boyle is nothing like Chubby Brown or Jim Davidson.......in my opinion.

Frankie Boyle is worth a try if you like 'challenging' humour, I do.

I'd generally agree with that. I'm not easily offended but Davidson is from a time I'd hoped had long since gone...and forgotten

Winston Churchill
Oscar Namechange

Snowfire;1403183 wrote: I'd generally agree with that. I'm not easily offended but Davidson is from a time I'd hoped had long since gone...and forgotten Do you remember the time Davidson said In his stand up.... " If you girls put out more, you wouldn't get raped would you"? It was years ago but I remember the media backlash... I think It was that which ruined him In the end.
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

oscar;1403184 wrote: Do you remember the time Davidson said In his stand up.... " If you girls put out more, you wouldn't get raped would you"? It was years ago but I remember the media backlash... I think It was that which ruined him In the end.

I lost count the times I cringed every time he opened his mouth

Winston Churchill
Týr

Post by Týr »

A novel use of the word "victim"...

BBC News - Cornwall speedboat crash victim was BSkyB executive

I do wish the BBC would employ adequate sub-editors for its news website. Turning words on their head like this is shoddy practice.
Long Live General Kim Jong-un, the Shining Sun!
gmc

Post by gmc »

Týr;1426215 wrote: A novel use of the word "victim"...

I do wish the BBC would employ adequate sub-editors for its news website. Turning words on their head like this is shoddy practice.

What dictionary are you using and what word would you have used instead?
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

Týr;1426215 wrote: A novel use of the word "victim"...

How can you read such a report taking note of missuse of language ?

Especially since you have no real idea so far of why the tragedy happened.
Týr

Post by Týr »

I find it impossible to use the words "leisure speedboat" in the context of a holiday beach without including "grotesquely antisocial" in the same paragraph. What happened, Bruv, is that someone brought a leisure speedboat near a holiday beach. Had the tagline said "Cornwall speedboat crash victim was schoolgirl" I'd not have demurred. No doubt an inquest will reveal the fine detail of what occurred. The finding will make no difference at all as far as the abuse of the word "victim" is concerned.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

Týr;1426248 wrote: I find it impossible to use the words "leisure speedboat" in the context of a holiday beach without including "grotesquely antisocial" in the same paragraph. What happened, Bruv, is that someone brought a leisure speedboat near a holiday beach. Had the tagline said "Cornwall speedboat crash victim was schoolgirl" I'd not have demurred. No doubt an inquest will reveal the fine detail of what occurred. The finding will make no difference at all as far as the abuse of the word "victim" is concerned.
Let us be grateful the BBC writer's personal bias and idiosyncrasies doesn't flavour the use of language.
Týr

Post by Týr »

Bruv;1426277 wrote: Let us be grateful the BBC writer's personal bias and idiosyncrasies doesn't flavour the use of language.

It isn't personal bias or idiosyncrasy, it's reasoned. I don't own a £100,000 speedboat and drive it back and forth off a public beach used by swimmers, divers, rowers and dinghyists, because I'm neither that extremely selfish nor that extreme a risk-taker. I honestly don't think "grotesquely antisocial" is out of place in this discussion.
Oscar Namechange

Týr;1426248 wrote: I find it impossible to use the words "leisure speedboat" in the context of a holiday beach without including "grotesquely antisocial" in the same paragraph. What happened, Bruv, is that someone brought a leisure speedboat near a holiday beach. Had the tagline said "Cornwall speedboat crash victim was schoolgirl" I'd not have demurred. No doubt an inquest will reveal the fine detail of what occurred. The finding will make no difference at all as far as the abuse of the word "victim" is concerned.

I am In total agreement with you on this one. ( oh the shock )

From all I have read, the driver ( If that's what you call him ) was as reckless as anyone driving a car drunk and at speed.

I agree, this was a form of antisocial behaviour with no regard to anyone else In the water.

The child was not a victim as such. Her death was due to the recklessness of others ie her Father.
Týr

Post by Týr »

I'd describe a victim as someone who suffers the consequences of events over which he has no control and to which he gives no informed consent. I can't see how she fails to qualify.
Oscar Namechange

Týr;1426300 wrote: I'd describe a victim as someone who suffers the consequences of events over which he has no control and to which he gives no informed consent. I can't see how she fails to qualify. I have to agree with you.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

Sigh !!!!!
gmc

Post by gmc »

vic·tim

[vik-tim]

noun

a person who suffers from a destructive or injurious action or agency: a victim of an automobile accident.

If you drive a car in to a tree and die you are a victim in a road traffic accident even if your own stupidity caused it. If you are going to make inane points about semantics at least make sure you are correct.
Týr

Post by Týr »

Bruv;1426319 wrote: Sigh !!!!!

If I loaded up a 4x4 with children and drove it as fast as I could back and forth across a municipal park for kicks I expect you'd criticize my lack of responsibility.
Týr

Post by Týr »

gmc;1426321 wrote: If you drive a car in to a tree and die you are a victim in a road traffic accident even if your own stupidity caused it. If you are going to make inane points about semantics at least make sure you are correct.

I'm not sure why you throw in these occasion two-pennorth. I could see the point if you were occasionally right but you never are. Nobody could reasonably say Joachim von Ribbentrop was a victim of the Nuremberg Trials, for example, though he undoubtedly suffered from that destructive or injurious agency. He wasn't a victim because he was himself personally responsible for his being tried there. I can't think of any "victim" status which survives that test of personal responsibility for the circumstances which led to the event.
Oscar Namechange

I still agree with tyr on this one.

There Is a world of difference between a ' victim ' and death as a result of cause.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

Has the bloody "Cause" been discovered yet ?

Why does a pleasure speedboat continue it's perambulations when no one is at it's controls ?

Return to “General Chit Chat”