Changing careers

Need help? Ask for it. Serious Discussions Only.
Raven

Changing careers

Post by Raven »

Coming up to mid-forties. I really dont want to do this anymore.

Anybody else here change careers in the middle of the stream? Any advice would be most welcome!
~Quoth the Raven, Nevermore!~
gmc

Changing careers

Post by gmc »

18 years ago I walked away from the archetypal career with prospects with nothing to go to I'd just got so sick of what I was doing (I was a senior manager in the UK equivalent of walmart). Took me a while to find my feet but I now have my own business.

I would suggest you do it before you have to and plan what you want to do. Don't get fooled by the easy money for instance like some franchises offer, keep away from amway-no I take that back have a look at it just don't get fooled. Look in to everything and make sure you have fun doing so. There is no point changing unless it is more fun. You have the advantage experience brings and in a few more years you will be coming in to your physical and mental prime-go for it.
Raven

Changing careers

Post by Raven »

gmc wrote: 18 years ago I walked away from the archetypal career with prospects with nothing to go to I'd just got so sick of what I was doing (I was a senior manager in the UK equivalent of walmart). Took me a while to find my feet but I now have my own business.

I would suggest you do it before you have to and plan what you want to do. Don't get fooled by the easy money for instance like some franchises offer, keep away from amway-no I take that back have a look at it just don't get fooled. Look in to everything and make sure you have fun doing so. There is no point changing unless it is more fun. You have the advantage experience brings and in a few more years you will be coming in to your physical and mental prime-go for it.
I really appreciate that! I am wanting to have my own business. Now dont laugh, but I was considering opening up my own little corner hair salon. Some place for the little old dears to get their shampoo/sets, and do a few extra bits like color and perms. It was what I started to do when I was a kid, but it appears I must invest in a couple of expensive u.k. courses to get going. Oh well....a couple of extra shifts a week should pay for the tuition. And in a year or so......oila!
Raven

Changing careers

Post by Raven »

I think I'm ready for a bit of jolly gossip and lightheartedness. And the extra bonus is that I speak ENGLISH!! These foreigners down here better watch out! LOL! English speaking competition is coming! Their monopoly is over!
Raven

Changing careers

Post by Raven »

ArnoldLayne wrote: Your gonna have a tough time persuading the blue rinse brigade that that rich accent you have is anything close to English :wah:

Abbey is from Manchester and she doesnt speak English, its just a funny noise. Pinky ? Not a chance. Betty and Theia ? Not even close. If the Queen wasnt under so much pressure to speak all posh like, she would be a Cockney, gawd blimey and thats no mistake

"Me husband and me" :yh_rotfl
LOL! OIY! I can put the r's in all the right places! and I can say 'chiz' just fine! :yh_bigsmi After all....I have the 'dinja wanna say sumfing' dictionary!
SuzyB

Changing careers

Post by SuzyB »

Raven wrote: but it appears I must invest in a couple of expensive u.k. courses to get going. Oh well....a couple of extra shifts a week should pay for the tuition. And in a year or so......oila!

Hi Raven,

I worked in an office before i had my children, then while they went to school i trained as a beautician, where i now run my own business from home. But like yourself i'd always wanted to do hair, so tomorrrow i start my hairdressing course (am feeling very nervous!!!), but my point in replying is, many local courses now have salons in them and the courses are very reasonable a lot cheaper than the private courses.

Go for it and good luck :)
I am nobody..nobody is perfect...therefore I must be Perfect!

Rapunzel

Changing careers

Post by Rapunzel »

ArnoldLayne wrote: Your gonna have a tough time persuading the blue rinse brigade that that rich accent you have is anything close to English :wah:

Abbey is from Manchester and she doesnt speak English, its just a funny noise. Pinky ? Not a chance. Betty and Theia ? Not even close. If the Queen wasnt under so much pressure to speak all posh like, she would be a Cockney, gawd blimey and thats no mistake

"Me husband and me" :yh_rotfl

Shouldn't that be - "Me 'Usband and me" or "'im indoors", me old china? :wah:

Raven just has to drop a few sentences in, like:

"May femlay and ay" and say 'One' instead of 'I' and add What? or Chap on the end; that's how one talks old chap, one has to play the game, what? :wah:
Raven

Changing careers

Post by Raven »

Or really sound old school! What, what!
gmc

Changing careers

Post by gmc »

Raven wrote: I think I'm ready for a bit of jolly gossip and lightheartedness. And the extra bonus is that I speak ENGLISH!! These foreigners down here better watch out! LOL! English speaking competition is coming! Their monopoly is over!

I wouldn't worry about the language barrier. Most people down there talk funny anyway and most of them probably think somebody talking a foreign language is from up north of watford somewhere.
Accountable

Changing careers

Post by Accountable »

Most of my career in the Air Force was spent in the vehicle transportation industry. I knew I didn't want to do that when I got out. Toward the end, I had a chance to teach and train leadership. I thought I'd found my niche. I wanted to be a trainer.

Don't confuse what you want to be with what you want to do. It's the doing that's important.

Nobody wanted to hire me as a trainer, for a million meaningless excuses, I guess. I was forced to explain to myself what it was about training that turned me on. I broke it down into the the things I enjoy about training: leading a group, influencing individuals to improve themselves, motivating people to reach for the ideal, celebrating their successes, etc. I then realized that I could get that in about any supervisory position. Now I'm running a warehouse, leading a small group and enjoying all the things I thought I could only get in a classroom. Other supervisors come to me for coaching and advice on their own leadership skills, and we celebrate their successes. :-6

Yup, I'm still training, whatever my title.
Bez

Changing careers

Post by Bez »

gmc wrote: I wouldn't worry about the language barrier. Most people down there talk funny anyway and most of them probably think somebody talking a foreign language is from up north of watford somewhere.

Aint that the truth....:p

Raven has a wonderful accent and a personality to match.....she'll be a success at whatever she does because she likes 'people'...... she even 'tamed' some rather drunk West Ham footie fans on the train back in May.... :D
A smile is a window on your face to show your heart is home
Raven

Changing careers

Post by Raven »

Accountable wrote: Most of my career in the Air Force was spent in the vehicle transportation industry. I knew I didn't want to do that when I got out. Toward the end, I had a chance to teach and train leadership. I thought I'd found my niche. I wanted to be a trainer.

Don't confuse what you want to be with what you want to do. It's the doing that's important.

Nobody wanted to hire me as a trainer, for a million meaningless excuses, I guess. I was forced to explain to myself what it was about training that turned me on. I broke it down into the the things I enjoy about training: leading a group, influencing individuals to improve themselves, motivating people to reach for the ideal, celebrating their successes, etc. I then realized that I could get that in about any supervisory position. Now I'm running a warehouse, leading a small group and enjoying all the things I thought I could only get in a classroom. Other supervisors come to me for coaching and advice on their own leadership skills, and we celebrate their successes. :-6

Yup, I'm still training, whatever my title.
Thats the thing isnt it? How can I put this? I think I'm a bit too insubordinate in nature to be stuck doing what I'm doing for much longer. Much younger girls telling me I'm not qualified to do what I have letters behind my name saying I can do. Basically I'm sick of english attitude towards american education. I'm constantly walking around mumbling 'dumbass' under my breath, because they dont want to hear how to do something right. It's all to do with the color of the shirt, you see. So to put a fine point on it, there is no room for me in english medicine. What I have to offer, they dont want. So I think I'll just go back to my childhood and do what I started doing then and have a little fun doing it! If they wont let me make them well, maybe they will let me make them pretty? I adore the little ol dears with the blue rinse. They are a jolly lot, for the most part. I've come to the conclusion that I will have to work till I kick anyway, so I may as well do something for myself now, while I have the stamina to do it.
Raven

Changing careers

Post by Raven »

Bez wrote:

Aint that the truth....:p

Raven has a wonderful accent and a personality to match.....she'll be a success at whatever she does because she likes 'people'...... she even 'tamed' some rather drunk West Ham footie fans on the train back in May.... :D
LOL! I forgot about that!

Return to “Friends, Relationships, Advice”