The Queen

Lulu2

The Queen

Post by Lulu2 »

Helen Mirren is just AMAZING! I doubt that Her Majesty or Prince Phillip will appreciate this film, although she IS treated with understanding and a grudging respect. It's surprisingly funny, which I hadn't expected.
My candle's burning at both ends, it will not last the night. But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends--It gives a lovely light!--Edna St. Vincent Millay
Katy1

The Queen

Post by Katy1 »

Lulu2 wrote: Helen Mirren is just AMAZING! I doubt that Her Majesty or Prince Phillip will appreciate this film, although she IS treated with understanding and a grudging respect. It's surprisingly funny, which I hadn't expected.

Hi Lulu, I really want to see this film. Had you heard of Helen Mirren before? They always say that the Queen had a wicked sense of humour, although I'm no royalist, it does warm me to her a bit. Tbh it's the human things (like Harry's drinking, drugs and partying etc.) that appeal to us humble subjects.....if it shows them as more human than I think it'll actually do wonders for their street cred:wah:
Carl44

The Queen

Post by Carl44 »

Katy1 wrote: Hi Lulu, I really want to see this film. Had you heard of Helen Mirren before? They always say that the Queen had a wicked sense of humour, although I'm no royalist, it does warm me to her a bit. Tbh it's the human things (like Harry's drinking, drugs and partying etc.) that appeal to us humble subjects.....if it shows them as more human than I think it'll actually do wonders for their street cred:wah:

yeah in germany maybe ...... they are germans ......sorry come from the sex pistols era anachy and all that ..... the only royal i did like was diana and look what they did to her

i dont live too far away from windsor and have met fergie twice and to be honest she doese seem very nice .... honest

sorry katy your post was good ....just the mutterings of a mad man :mad:
Katy1

The Queen

Post by Katy1 »

jimbo wrote:

yeah in germany maybe ...... they are germans ......sorry come from the sex pistols era anachy and all that ..... the only royal i did like was diana and look what they did to her

i dont live too far away from windsor and have met fergie twice and to be honest she doese seem very nice .... honest

sorry katy your post was good ....just the mutterings of a mad man :mad:

Saxe Coburg-Gotha was their original surname I believe. Well that incarnation of the Royal Family anyway........

As for Diana, all that peering up through her quiff and 'toutching AIDS victims'.........:yh_sick

Oh, I am feeling grumpy today:D
Bill Sikes

The Queen

Post by Bill Sikes »

Katy1 wrote: As for Diana, all that peering up through her quiff and 'toutching AIDS victims'.........yh_sick

"After you with the sick bucket, please" Whurp! Whurp! Dang, as they say in

the 'States - too late.
Katy1

The Queen

Post by Katy1 »

Bill Sikes wrote: "After you with the sick bucket, please" Whurp! Whurp! Dang, as they say in

the 'States - too late.

Oh Bill, all that 'outpouring of grief' when she died was just ridiculous.....if I had had one of those 'Diana' landmines spare...
Lulu2

The Queen

Post by Lulu2 »

Katy, Helen Mirren is one of my favorite actresses. She's very popular here, among people who can see past an anorexic 20-something "actress" without any talents.

Helen can do with just an eyebrow what it takes most actors an entire face (and dialogue) to convey.

I'm hoping someone here will see this film, because there's a symbolic scene I'd like to discuss.
My candle's burning at both ends, it will not last the night. But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends--It gives a lovely light!--Edna St. Vincent Millay
Katy1

The Queen

Post by Katy1 »

Lulu2 wrote: Katy, Helen Mirren is one of my favorite actresses. She's very popular here, among people who can see past an anorexic 20-something "actress" without any talents.

Helen can do with just an eyebrow what it takes most actors an entire face (and dialogue) to convey.

I'm hoping someone here will see this film, because there's a symbolic scene I'd like to discuss.

I'm impressed, how has she made a name for herself in the 'States Lulu? Yes, she is a fantastic actress and repeatedly get voted sexiest woman of the year here!

I'll try and get to watching it Lulu.....
Lulu2

The Queen

Post by Lulu2 »

We see her in films/tv all the time. ("Gosford Park" comes to mind first, but she was equally good in "The Clearing," with Robert Redford.) She was in a spectacular 2-part epic last season about the FIRST Queen Elizabeth, with Jeremy Irons and some others. It was brilliant.
Bill Sikes

The Queen

Post by Bill Sikes »

Katy1 wrote: (H. Mirren) she is a fantastic actress and repeatedly get voted sexiest woman of the year here!

Crumbs, I had no idea. Who by?
Carl44

The Queen

Post by Carl44 »

Bill Sikes wrote: Crumbs, I had no idea. Who by?

she is in my top 5 bill she just oozes sexy

a bit like my good self

ok maybe not :(
Katy1

The Queen

Post by Katy1 »

Bill Sikes wrote: Crumbs, I had no idea. Who by?

:wah: Various polls, I hear it now and again. You'll laugh but I think the most recent was by The Radio Times reader....does that surprise you?

I think that a lot of men find her alluring, you know, just something about her I suppose.
Lulu2

The Queen

Post by Lulu2 »

She's intelligent, witty and has a nice figure. There's something in her head besides binge-purge and talking on cell phones while posing for the press. Could any of this be considered attractive?
Katy1

The Queen

Post by Katy1 »

Lulu2 wrote: She's intelligent, witty and has a nice figure. There's something in her head besides binge-purge and talking on cell phones while posing for the press. Could any of this be considered attractive?

I've never seen her carry a miniature dog so she simply can't be attractive.
Carl44

The Queen

Post by Carl44 »

Katy1 wrote: :wah: Various polls, I hear it now and again. You'll laugh but I think the most recent was by The Radio Times reader....does that surprise you?

I think that a lot of men find her alluring, you know, just something about her I suppose.

alas like me helen has a face best suited for radio
Bill Sikes

The Queen

Post by Bill Sikes »

jimbo wrote: she is in my top 5 bill she just oozes sexy

a bit like my good self(

You'd better keep your "oozing" in that thread, over there! ---->
Lulu2

The Queen

Post by Lulu2 »

Clancy, the "Elizabeth" series was very well received here! I was interested to see how a woman Helen's age could appear fascinating to a younger man. Oh, I know...she was DA QUEEN....but still, she was intriguing because of her wit and brains.

Katy, the current queen has replaced a small pet dog (or worse yet, a kinkajou) with THE EVER-PRESENT PURSE! They show her carrying it from one chair to the next. It's bizarre!
cherandbuster

The Queen

Post by cherandbuster »

Clancy wrote: Even as a late teenager I always had an eye for the, "thirty years, n' over ladies, but that's just my personal preference. :)

And on behalf of them

We thank you! :yh_worshp :-4
Live Life with

PASSION
!:guitarist

Lulu2

The Queen

Post by Lulu2 »

Not only do we thank you...we praise your wisdom!
Yavanna

The Queen

Post by Yavanna »

Helen Mirren is wonderful. I was watching her play Jane Tennison for the last time in Prime Suspect last night ; I went off that series after the second one, but have thoroughly enjoyed this one.

Anyhoo, back to The Queen...I loved this film ; I saw it twice (which, LOTR films aside, is a record for me).

I adored the portrayal of a young and energetic Tony Blair (oh, how the mighty patronising have fallen! :thinking: ) and the shark-like Alistair Campbell. Cherie was wonderful (can't wait to see Helen McRory playing Bellatrix Lestrange in the next Harry Potter film).

I also loved the guy playing Prince Charles ; I nearly peed my pants when he obsesses about being shot and then jumps a mile when he hears a car back-firing.

But Helen Mirren was fabulous. Utterly fabulous. She does dignity and restraint with great ease.

I never had much time for Diana whilst she was alive ; I always thought she was a damaged personality. But I remember her death and funeral as if it were yesterday - and to my surprise, I found myself welling up during those parts of the film.

This is a really intelligent and witty film. You'll love it if you like realism (apart from a strange moment where the Queen strokes a dead stag......symbolism taken a bit too far, I think). Go and see it, do!
Lulu2

The Queen

Post by Lulu2 »

Yavanna....what are your thoughts about the scene with the stag? You might PM me, if you don't want to "spoil" anything for anyone else. I thought it was very symbolic of Diana's life. Your thoughts?
Yavanna

The Queen

Post by Yavanna »

Well, without giving too much away about it, I hated it! I thought in an otherwise realistic film, that touch of symbolism was a step too far. I thought it represented Diana too - the beautiful, wild, free creature, being hunted, and finally ......kapow! It's hanging upside down from a meathook. The irony being that the goddess Diana was the huntress, not the hunted. And the trifling fact that a stag is male, not female.......Oy vey....:rolleyes:

No, I didn't like it. Apart from anything else, Diana used the press to her advantage very well in life, as well as being used by them. She was pretty adept at creating a public image. I think she helped to create the monster of the paparazzi in her life.

And the Queen, hissing at a stag to run away? You've got to be kidding! We are talking about a shootin', fishin'and huntin' family here!

Aside from that, it was a great film though......
Lulu2

The Queen

Post by Lulu2 »

I agree! I think it "needed" to be a stag, just because it's more OBVIOUS.

One part of that scene that I found very touching is of the queen, seen from the rear, where the only action is in her shoulders. Helen Mirren is so powerful in her craft!
jana fraser

The Queen

Post by jana fraser »

Helen Mirren was incredible as The Queen. The film was cleverly written, perfectly cast and left me wanting to see more at the end.
lady cop

The Queen

Post by lady cop »

i look forward to seeing this...but i'll wait for the DVD , can't abide sitting still for 2 hours in a theater... i have a copy of Mirren in Liz I, and it is brilliant.

Return to “Films Cinema Forum”