Scots voting difficulties.

A forum created specifically for polls.
Bill Sikes

Post by Bill Sikes »

The voting papers didn't look too difficult to complete - they're here:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jh ... ons604.xml

Maybe more that 100,000 votes were rejected - a proportion were doubtless spoiled on purpose, which is valid. Anyone know what the total vote might be?
gmc

Post by gmc »

They weren't but probably some crosses on the council paper out of habit rather than a number. There are also problems with the electronic counting machines which is more significant. The returning officers had made their objections to them clear right from the outset but were ignored. This isn't florida, so no doubt there will be a good stooshie about it.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/6617231.stm

SCOTTISH PARLIAMENT RESULTS

Party Const Regn +/- Tot

After 115 of 129 seats declared

SNP 21 21 +19 42

LAB 37 5 -6 42

LD 11 5 -1 16

CON 4 10 -1 14

Others 0 1 -11 1

FIND YOUR RESULTS

This is labour's heartland but it's kind of a moot point whether the snp vote is for the SNP per se or just to give labour a good kicking for taking the voters for granted and ignoring their wishes.
gmc

Post by gmc »

Final result SNP one seat majority over Labour.

SNP 21 26 +20 47

LAB 37 9 -4 46

CON 4 13 -1 17

LD 11 5 -1 16

Others 0 3 -14 3

Whichever way you want to look at it it's a real smack in the face for labour. Gordon Brown sits for one of the most left wing constituencies in Scotland. There is always a possibility he will lose his seat at the next election.
randall

Post by randall »

:-6

randal and his wife were definitely given the wrong instructions on how to vote by one of the presiding pfficials.

Now we don't know if our votes for the SNP counted or were destroyed.

It a dog's life.

God Bless All.

randall

:)
randall

Post by randall »

Dear GMC,

The night Maggie Thatcher was elected I said to my wife that such a large majority was dangerous in any country and I repeated that when the so-called "NEW LABOUR" were voted in in 1997.

After all Hitler was elected and actually offered the Chancellorship by the great old man himself Hindenburg and look where that led. Power definitely came out of the barrel of a gun.

We are no different from Mugabe - we are going down the same road at a slower pace because we are sleep walking with our eyes shut.

I have always voted for an independent or a minority candidate because they are the only ones that can keep true democracy alive.

I was taught that when knee high to a grass hopper in "Childrens Hour" on the BBC at five-o-clock every night, by an ex naval officer who spoke regularly on that programme under the name of "Commander Stephen King-Hall" or "Campbell" If my memory serve me right. (I believe) After all I was under ten.

His autobiography, "With The Corners Off." still make significant reading today.

Sick children absorbed a lot at a very early age especially when there was no TV. Lying in bed week after week becomes irksome.

God Bless All.

randall.

gmc

Post by gmc »

randall;612579 wrote: :-6

Dear GMC,

The night Maggie Thatcher was elected I said to my wife that such a large majority was dangerous in any country and I repeated that when the so-called "NEW LABOUR" were voted in in 1997.

After all Hitler was elected and actually offered the Chancellorship by the great old man himself Hindenburg and look where that led. Power definitely came out of the barrel of a gun.

We are no different from Mugabe - we are going down the same road at a slower pace because we are sleep walking with our eyes shut.

I have always voted for an independent or a minority candidate because they are the only ones that can keep true democracy alive.

I was taught that when knee high to a grass hopper in "Childrens Hour" on the BBC at five-o-clock every night, by an ex naval officer who spoke regularly on that programme under the name of "Commander Stephen King-Hall" or "Campbell" If my memory serve me right. (I believe) After all I was under ten.

His autobiography, "With The Corners Off." still make significant reading today.

Sick children absorbed a lot at a very early age especially when there was no TV. Lying in bed week after week becomes irksome.

God Bless All.

randall.

long time no speak welcome back.

I used always to vote for anyone supporting PR. As with Maggie and now under new labour we have a gov. that the overwhelming majority of the voters do not want do not want yet they delude themselves they have a mandate to rule. None of the major parties want to change because they know full well they would not get in to power, although the tories now support it in Scotland because it lets them get a seat. I know many die-hard labourites that hate TB and new labour even more than they hated maggie.

next election should be interesting. I reckon GB might have a problem keeping his seat. He may be listening now but what was he doing for the last ten?

randall

Post by randall »

Glad you agree with me GMC,

We oldies, as Lon said some time ago come in handy at times. What is in the the history books (frequently rewritten and whitewashed - a Japanese History Professor got kicked out because he objected the the "revision".) is only "yesterday" to us and often much more clearer than last week.

By the way yon "Detroit Diesels of yours are grand engines,. They jist run an run an run and hardly need ony looking efter. Five and twenty eer are naething tae them.

God Bless

randall

:) :) :)
spot

Post by spot »

randall;612579 wrote: I have always voted for an independent or a minority candidate because they are the only ones that can keep true democracy alive.

His autobiography, "With The Corners Off." still make significant reading today.Randall dear, here's a bit about them both - I've edited my original post here. I hope this matches what you recall. There were two of them, both Naval men, both writing for childrens' broadcasting.

The one who wrote the book you mention has the following entry (I've trimmed it down a lot) in the Oxford Dictionary of National Biography:Campbell, Archibald Bruce (1881–1966), broadcaster, was born on 21 January 1881 ...

... called up, and spent the war years serving as paymaster-commander of HMS Otranto, an armed merchant cruiser patrolling in the south Atlantic. He was the senior surviving officer when the Otranto sank, with the loss of several hundred lives, after a collision with a troopship in fog off the island of Islay, in October 1918

.... hoping for a new source of income, Campbell first approached the BBC in 1933, but it was not until 25 August 1935 that he made his first radio broadcast, ‘The last voyage of the Otranto’. Following the success of this talk, he was invited to give further informal talks on his adventures at sea in the Men Talking and Young Ideas series, and later in The World Goes By. These were to be given without a script, seen as one-way conversations in front of the microphone. Campbell proved a natural broadcaster: ‘he really is a brilliant broadcaster … he has the true sailor's flow of words’ (memo from Moray McClaren, 20 April 1936, BBC WAC), and Stuart Hibberd, presenter of Men Talking, wrote in his diary in October 1935 that Campbell had an unrivalled collection of sailors' yarns, ‘spun not by the yard but by the mile’ (Hibberd, 119). He made his first television broadcast in December 1936.

Commander Campbell became a national figure as one of the original members of the panel of The Brains Trust, one of the most popular radio series during the war, first broadcast on 1 January 1941 as Any Questions? The original idea, conceived by the producer, Howard Thomas, was to bring the forces into contact with the best brains of the day, in an informal and entertaining way. The brains were those of the philosopher C. E. M. Joad and the zoologist Julian Huxley, and Campbell's role was to act as a link between the intellectuals and the listeners. Listeners were invited to send in questions, which were put to the team by the question master, Donald McCullough. Campbell drew on his own experiences in answering the questions, and his ‘When I was in Patagonia’ became a catchphrase. Although there were those in the BBC who questioned the value of his contribution, Campbell was enormously popular with the public, which liked his direct and commonsense approach and regarded him as a personal friend.

... After the war Campbell broadcast for the BBC for a few more years until 1953. For Children's Hour he gave a series of talks, The Old Sea Chest, in which he brought out curiosities he had collected on his travels; and in 1952 he made a series, Commander Campbell Talking, for Woman's Hour. In 1956 he also had his own series on Independent Television, Calling on Campbell, in which he told his seafaring yarns.The one you remember, though, is:Stephen Richard King-Hall, (1893–1966), writer and broadcaster ... in action at Jutland in the Southampton, the ‘little ship’ of his naval affections. After the war he wrote the first Admiralty manual on cruiser tactics.

... His strongly held opinions, sometimes simplistic, at other times lit by genuine insight, were those of a liberal internationalist, who was early alert to the rising menace of fascism. His independence was patent. The press had forfeited much public confidence, and an audience lay ready. From 1930 until 1937 he broadcast a talk on current affairs every Friday in the BBC Children's Hour. His directness and warmth (not without an occasional breeze from the quarter-deck), combined with his rare gift for reducing complexities to simple language, enthralled not only the children but many adults.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

Its just the tip of the iceberg.

Ever notice they all wear shoes with velcroe straps ?

Apparently laces are a problem too. :rolleyes:
I AM AWESOME MAN
buttercup

Post by buttercup »

GMC & Randall in the same thread :D :-4

Ive had way too much wine, i'm getting sentimental hic
randall

Post by randall »

A Million Thanks SPOT,

Not only have you proved that my memory is not so bad as some people tell me - including my eighty odd year old sister *Ye' were far too young tae mind on at!"

I remember both of them vividly - we had no wireless but a widowed Aunt allowed me to go next door to her house "Weelhappitup. Jist incase ye get the cal." at five o clock every night except the weekend.

Nobody listened to a wireless on the Sabbath.!

"When I was in Patagonia," came back to me when I went there too.

I believe that on some distant island he actually got married to a chief's daughter - a ceremony he went through just to keep up the honour of the "British Empire" whilst the ship was visiting on a courtesy visit.

You don't disobey a Royal Navy Captain! - then he was whisked back to his ship.

"The Brains Trust", you mention, also brought back many memories with Commander Campbell along with Professor C.E.M. Joad and Julian Huxley, etc. because I, having read about them but never seen one, even in a photograph, wanted to know what a Aborigine "Spear Thrower" looked like and how it was used and what advantage it had.

Needless to say that question was never aired.

When I went to sea I was actually astonished that a loon frae a the airts and pairts could know all about the famous Huxley family and my shipmates said that they had never heard of them!

It only shows I was full of perseverance even at an early age.

This is the best university I have been at since I left the Merchant Navy.

It was always referred to up to about 1960 as the biggest free university in the world.

With crews of 70 or 170 you were always bound to get an answer to almost any question.

I looked into a seaman's cabin (they were all equipped with bookshelves and regularly changed everywhere in the world by "The College Of The Sea".)

Partly started and run by the Blue Funnel Line. Alfred or Lawrence Holt.

I saw on this man's bookshelf "Darwin's Origins Of Species." which took me aback a bit.

"What on earth have you that for?"

He was sitting splicing a line for some purpose known only to himself.

"Och, I jist thocht that a shid fin oot whaur a cam from so I can ging back." came the nonchalant reply without the slightest pause in his splicing.

God Bless All

randall.

:) :) :)

Return to “Polls, Polls, and more Polls”