genital herpes

shibee

genital herpes

Post by shibee »

hello people! got a situation here!!!!

my friend and i made a new friend. he's new in town and so, we took him out a few times, and what not. well, my friend is really interested in this guy, they get along perfect, have alot in common and she's really falling for this guy. last week, we were at his house having drinks and just hanging out and he asked me if i would leave the room, because he wanted to talk to alicia about something in private. i say sure...no biggie. i go outside, have my drink...i'm cool. well, i come back in a few minutes later and she;s ready to leave. so in the car i asked her what was said and she said that he told her that he reallllly likes her and wants to have a relatiosnhip with her and that he's also had genital herpes since he was 22. he's in his 30's now, so for a few years. she's paranoid now that even though they have had no sexual contact that she may have it too. the furthest that they've gone is kissing. no touching, no dry humping (her exact words) or anything. just innocent pecks. we've googled it all week and the answers are vague...some sites say that you can get it from kissing , the other sites say that you can't so, we've come here for simple to the point educated answers. help please!
:yh_mfight
koan

genital herpes

Post by koan »

I met up with a friend from highschool many years ago and hadn't seen him for a decade. We stayed up talking for half the night and at some point he started telling me about his girlfriends where he had moved to. He was a DJ and had all these young, barely legal girls that he was particularly fond of. He also told me that he had contracted Herpes a long time ago. He was getting really attached to this one girl and wasn't sure if he'd tell her or not. Problem is... they were already having sex. He said he was always really cautious and and never had sex at all if he had an outbreak. But he hadn't told her! I lost a lot of respect for him right there. He didn't give her or the other very young girls any choice in their exposure.

My point: This guy sounds incredibly responsible. It's really a shame that you and your friend are freaking out instead of appreciating how hard it must have been for him to tell her that.

Kissing spreads cold sores - a different kind of herpes. This guy seems to be very aware of his disease and very intent on not infecting people.

I don't know how I'd react to finding that out but I'd be damn glad I found it out before and not after. She should stop and feel thankful for a moment. Maybe that'll calm you both down.

My applause goes out to this guy, whoever he is. Bravo. You're a class act.
shibee

genital herpes

Post by shibee »

TO CLARIFY...i'm not freaking out at all...in fact, i told her the same thing...i told her that she should be glad that he told and not waited until after they became sexually active to be like "ok, well, i have genital herpes and now you do too..." i applaud him as well...

you have to understand the fragility of this situation...my friend is VERY uneducated about it and has even gone to libraries to research. i

mean, she really likes this guy and it means alot to him that she is educating herself about this. i mentioned in my previous post that we googled it and different sites gives you different answers. really, noone is freaking out... i'm just here trying to be supportive of my friend and what it boils down to is just a matter of knowing the risks involved and whether or not she is able to deal with it.

fin
Deep_Respect

genital herpes

Post by Deep_Respect »

The term genital herpes refers to the location the virus and not necessarily the type of virus. HSV1 and HSV2 are the types of herpes virus which cause outbreaks. HSV1 is the common cause of oral herpes or cold sores but can also cause genital herpes if one engages in oral sex with someone who is infected with HSV1 in the oral area.

The virus is spread by physical contact with an active lesion or by viral shedding which can occur without a visible lesion. The virus isn't spread through bodily fluids such as semen, blood or saliva. Once sufficient exposure to the virus occurs the virus will travel through the nervous system to a cluster of nerve endings called the ganglia. There are two of these - one at the bottom end of the spin and the other near the base of the brain. The virus will travel to which ever is nearest to the point of exposure if the distance is close - the lower one for the genital herpes and the upper for oral herpes. Once this happens the virus will travel back through the nervous system and cause outbreaks in the area close to the ganglia. It possible to have an outbreak in the general area of the genital such as on the butt or on the thigh.

Since he has had it for sometime his outbreaks are likely to be infrequent and mild compared to someone who just contracted it.

If he is taking valtrex as a suppressive it will greatly reduce the chance of an outbreak and the chance of spreading it.

Hope this helps.
abbey

genital herpes

Post by abbey »

koan;639372 wrote:

I don't know how I'd react to finding that out but I'd be damn glad I found it out before and not after. She should stop and feel thankful for a moment. Maybe that'll calm you both down.

My applause goes out to this guy, whoever he is. Bravo. You're a class act.
What she said.
shibee

genital herpes

Post by shibee »

Thank You Deep Respect!!!!!
Nomad

genital herpes

Post by Nomad »

genital herpes

No thank you.
I AM AWESOME MAN
spot

genital herpes

Post by spot »

I'd read http://www.herpes.com/hsv1-2.html to get a sense of what this is about.HSV-1 is usually called oral herpes, or cold sores. HSV-1 usually tends to recur on the lower lip or face. By the time they're teenagers or young adults, about 50% of Americans have HSV-1 antibodies in their blood. By the time they are over age 50, some 80-90% of Americans have HSV-1 antibodies.

HSV-2 is usually called genital herpes. HSV-2 usually recurs in the genital area. 22% of adult Americans from all backgrounds, income levels, and ethnic groups have HSV-2.

HSV-1 is usually spread through contact with infected lips, while HSV-2 usually spread through contact with infected genitals. From a social point of view, the problem is not the disease; it's how you got it. The social prejudice against genital herpes, no matter which virus causes it, is a reality. "People have more trouble explaining to a new partner that they have genital herpes, even if it's HSV- 1, than if they have a cold sore," says Glover. "Just saying the word "genital" is like an anvil that pulls the sentence down".

The two types do behave somewhat differently depending on whether they are residing in their site of preference-the mouth and face for HSV-1, and the genital area for HSV-2. But both types are quite common, and under most circumstances neither is a major health threat. That's one reason medical professionals tend to dismiss HSV -2 despite the emotional trauma a diagnosis can cause for a patient. While HSV can be a frustrating and painful condition for some people, in general the virus is less a medical problem than a social problem. For most of us, genital herpes is no more dangerous than a cold sore.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
spot

genital herpes

Post by spot »

Soberano;640527 wrote: A mate of mine once told me he had "Hermes", i said you mean "Herpes" don't you, no he said I'm a carrier. Whoops, sorry.:o

The Indians have Hermes. I was just writing about it.

http://www.forumgarden.com/forums/showt ... p?p=640547
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.

Return to “Health Wellness”