Knighting Salman Rushdie.

Bill Sikes

Post by Bill Sikes »

Whatever you think of his works (if you've heard of any), wasn't it just a bit bloody silly making him Sir Salman Rushdie? Do you think that the advisory committee who recommend people for such honours is infiltrated by luvvies of the most intemperent kind, or simply want their heads examined, or what?
Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Bill Sikes;640199 wrote: Whatever you think of his works (if you've heard of any), wasn't it just a bit bloody silly making him Sir Salman Rushdie? Do you think that the advisory committee who recommend people for such honours is infiltrated by luvvies of the most intemperent kind, or simply want their heads examined, or what?

Insensitive would be the mildest thing I'd say.

I'd also ask WHY? What has he done to earn a knighthood? Half a dozen very boring books is hardly a recomendation.
buttercup

Post by buttercup »

Yeah this came as a surprise to me, its asking for trouble. What exactly is it he's been knighted for?
zinkyusa

Post by zinkyusa »

Just when I thought my government was monopolizing stupid, random acts of pi$$ing off other cultures..
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.
spot

Post by spot »

Hang on a bit, people, it's only a knighthood. It could have been a life peerage instead.

Yes it's a political two fingers at the Iranians. It's better than firing a gun. Maybe they can award the Order of the Lion and Sun, First Class to Gorgeous George Galloway in retaliation.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

If I'm not too off topic, may I ask what Paul McCartney ever did that warranted knighthood? I'm serious. I guess I don't understand the whole point behind knighting someone. And is it only men? What do women get?
Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

Post by Bryn Mawr »

RedGlitter;640916 wrote: If I'm not too off topic, may I ask what Paul McCartney ever did that warranted knighthood? I'm serious. I guess I don't understand the whole point behind knighting someone. And is it only men? What do women get?

I wouldn't expect you Americans to understand but they become a Dame :wah:
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

Bryn Mawr;640946 wrote: I wouldn't expect you Americans to understand but they become a Dame :wah:
I thought they just got the Knightly shaft.:cool:
Uncle Kram

Post by Uncle Kram »

buttercup;640584 wrote: Yeah this came as a surprise to me, its asking for trouble. What exactly is it he's been knighted for?
My daughter thinks it's for being in Bridget Jones' Diary :D

THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN PUN
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

Salmon Rushdie eh? Next thing you know they will be Knighting a whole Grouper of people.
spot

Post by spot »

RedGlitter;640916 wrote: If I'm not too off topic, may I ask what Paul McCartney ever did that warranted knighthood? I'm serious. I guess I don't understand the whole point behind knighting someone. And is it only men? What do women get?Here's the Washington Post's explanation from January 1st 1996, when Paul McCartney's knighthood was announced:Entertainers have been prominent recipients of knighthoods -- Richard Burton, Alec Guinness, Laurence Olivier. But as those names suggest, such honors have generally gone to those considered serious stars of the theater or film rather than to rock-and-rollers. Cliff Richard, a pop singer better known in Britain than in the United States, was one of the few exceptions and was said to have gotten his because he is a favorite of the Queen Mother and has always been considered a "squeaky clean" public figure.

Groups like the Rolling Stones and the Beatles, however, have at one time or another stood for teenage rebellion, the counterculture or the drug culture. McCartney himself, after leaving the Beatles, upset some British politicians by recording a single called "Give Ireland Back to the Irish."

In the past few years, however, Liverpool boosters, as well as some members of Parliament, have publicly campaigned to honor the surviving Beatles. David Alton, a Liberal Democrat MP from Liverpool, formally nominated McCartney -- in a procedure Prime Minister John Major encouraged -- saying that he and the other Beatles had "earned considerable sums of money for the country" and brought it great distinction in the world of entertainment. Nigel Evans, a Conservative MP, helped the campaign cross party lines; he called it a "great populist move" when he urged Major to include McCartney last year.

(While the queen formally bestows what are called the "honors" here, the honors list is largely the work of the political leadership, at the moment Prime Minister Major.)

McCartney's highly publicized philanthropy -- he contributed more than $ 1.5 million for a performing arts school in Liverpool -- undoubtedly helped make him the first honored among the Beatles. This week's set of honours is listed at http://www.gnn.gov.uk/content/detail.as ... wsAreaID=2 if you want to see the full range. The entries under " ORDER OF THE BRITISH EMPIRE: DBE" are the Dames of the British Empire, the women's equivalent of knighthood. You'll see from the list that the reasons given for awarding honours are quite extensive.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

Thank you, Spot!

Bryn, thanks to you too. I did know about dames, but didn't know why they were called that. Didn't know it was equivalent to knighthood.
spot

Post by spot »

RedGlitter;640978 wrote: Bryn, thanks to you too. I did know about dames, but didn't know why they were called that. Didn't know it was equivalent to knighthood.

The only exception I know of a Dame who was not granted that honour by a reigning British monarch is Dame Edna Everage. Her appointment may have been irregular but it's been accepted by public acclaim.
Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

Post by Bryn Mawr »

spot;640997 wrote: The only exception I know of a Dame who was not granted that honour by a reigning British monarch is Dame Edna Everage. Her appointment may have been irregular but it's been accepted by public acclaim.

A claim too far I'm thinking
jugglingmuggles

Post by jugglingmuggles »

Bill Sikes;640199 wrote: Whatever you think of his works (if you've heard of any), wasn't it just a bit bloody silly making him Sir Salman Rushdie? Do you think that the advisory committee who recommend people for such honours is infiltrated by luvvies of the most intemperent kind, or simply want their heads examined, or what?

Yes I do. It was a deliberate attempt to stir up more trouble against Muslims I think.
spot

Post by spot »

Pakistan's Ulema Council has retaliated:The Pakistan Ulema Council has bestowed the title of Saifullah, or sword of Islam, on Osama Bin Laden in response to a British knighthood for Salman Rushdie. “If a blasphemer can be given the title ‘Sir’ by the West despite the fact he’s hurt the feelings of Muslims, then a mujahid who has been fighting for Islam against the Russians, Americans and British must be given the lofty title of Islam, Saifullah,” said council chairman Maulana Tahir Ashrafi.
gmc

Post by gmc »

spot;643043 wrote: Pakistan's Ulema Council has retaliated:The Pakistan Ulema Council has bestowed the title of Saifullah, or sword of Islam, on Osama Bin Laden in response to a British knighthood for Salman Rushdie. “If a blasphemer can be given the title ‘Sir’ by the West despite the fact he’s hurt the feelings of Muslims, then a mujahid who has been fighting for Islam against the Russians, Americans and British must be given the lofty title of Islam, Saifullah,” said council chairman Maulana Tahir Ashrafi.

We have a long tradition in this country of taking the P*&S out of religion and i see no reason why we should make any exceptions, in fact the more religious groups claim they are offended the more the deserve.

But Salmam Rushdie? have you read any of his books? I bought the satanic verses as a matter of principle at the time but jhave never actually read it. It's awful IMO, he's a mediocre wriiter whose books sell because of his infamy.

Somebody like JK Rowling is far more deserving of that kind of honour.
spot

Post by spot »

gmc;643166 wrote: We have a long tradition in this country of taking the P*&S out of religion and i see no reason why we should make any exceptions, in fact the more religious groups claim they are offended the more the deserve.

But Salmam Rushdie? have you read any of his books? I bought the satanic verses as a matter of principle at the time but jhave never actually read it. It's awful IMO, he's a mediocre wriiter whose books sell because of his infamy.First paragraph - a wiser word has rarely been uttered.

Second paragraph, first sentence - well yes, actually. Midnight's Children is one of the best novels written in my lifetime. He's right up there with Anthony Powell.
gmc

Post by gmc »

spot;643182 wrote: First paragraph - a wiser word has rarely been uttered.

Second paragraph, first sentence - well yes, actually. Midnight's Children is one of the best novels written in my lifetime. He's right up there with Anthony Powell.

Second paragraph. each to his own. He's the kind of writer I wouldn't bother reading. Bear in mind You're talking to someone who thinks the broons and oor wullie are children's classics:sneaky:
neffy

Post by neffy »

buttercup;640584 wrote: Yeah this came as a surprise to me, its asking for trouble. What exactly is it he's been knighted for?

that is what i thought buttercup,how about knighting real people:thinking:
The rottie queen
spot

Post by spot »

kalilanipk@yahoo.co.uk;650832 wrote: Is this justified to knight the person due to his anti-religious works against any religion, which in this case is, Islam?It wasn't due to that at all, it was awarded on literary merit. You should read Midnight's Children, it's magnificent.

kalilanipk@yahoo.co.uk wrote: I also oppose the knighting of Osama by the Pakistan Ulema Council.Oh, I don't at all. The Sword of God? Drawing a parallel with Khalid bin Walid? It's wonderfully appropriate. What's Osama bin Laden doing that Khalid bin Walid didn't do?
spot

Post by spot »

kalilanipk@yahoo.co.uk;650895 wrote: For what merit he has been awarded. Briefly.it was awarded on literary merit. You should read Midnight's Children, it's magnificent.

Here's a paragraph from Wikipedia:From its publication in 1981, Midnight’s Children has become a standard work on university syllabuses and has enjoyed an international readership that catapulted its author almost overnight to the very forefront of world authors. It was awarded the 1981 Booker Prize, the English Speaking Union Literary Award, and in 1993 it was awarded both the James Tait Prize and the Booker of Bookers Prize. (This was an award given out by the Booker committee to celebrate the 25th anniversary of the award.) In 2003 the novel was adapted to the stage by the Royal Shakespeare Company.

It has been compared in its scope and execution to works such as James Joyce’s Ulysses, Günter Grass’s The Tin Drum and Laurence Sterne’s Tristram Shandy. Like them, Rushdie’s novel presents an encyclopaedic exploration of an entire society through the story of a single person. It is able to do this, in part, by merging with the novel form a number of non-Western texts such as the Sanskrit epics, The Ramayana, The Mahabharata and, most consciously (and not unproblematically) The 1,001 Nights.

The novel ran into some controversy for its open criticism of Indira Gandhi, India's then prime minister, and the Emergency that she imposed on the country.And yes, I've read it, and it's one of the most impressive books of the last forty years that I can bring to mind.

kalilanipk@yahoo.co.uk wrote: And not all muslims favor Khalid bin Walid for what he had done in the name of IslamThat's very interesting. My knowledge of him is superficial at best, but I'm told he had "the distinction of being undefeated in over a hundred battles against the numerically superior forces of the Byzantine Roman Empire, Sassanid Persian Empire, and their allies, he is regarded as one of the finest military commanders in history". Which Muslims hold him in disfavour, and why?
gmc

Post by gmc »

Ali;650832 wrote: Dear All

Hi

Is this justified to knight the person due to his anti-religious works against any religion, which in this case is, Islam?

Will this bring closer the different religions or will it deepen the clash between religions?

Is thier any good aims behind the move, or the evil?

I also oppose the knighting of Osama by the Pakistan Ulema Council.

Who cares about the clash between religions? The UK is a largely secular society where you can follow any religion you choose so long as you respect the right of others to follow theirs or indeed none at all. You can also say or write whatever you like about religion. Which is more than you would be able to do in any country where religion is still a major force. We give no concessions to catholic or protestant in that regard-a book condemning either christian faiths would not be banned so why should we be expected to do so for islam?
Singh-Song

Post by Singh-Song »

By the way, all of these people in the Muslim World who claim that Salman Rushdie is somehow against Islam, who say that 'The Satanic Verses' is an anti-Islamic work he fully deserved a Fatwa issued against him for- How many of them have actually read the book themselves rather than just going on hearsay? For that matter, how many people viewing this thread have ever read the contreversial novel? I've looked everywhere, the libraries, the bookstores, but no-one stocks it. I just want to read it and be allowed to make up my mind for myself...
spot

Post by spot »

Singh-Song;652197 wrote: I've looked everywhere, the libraries, the bookstores, but no-one stocks it. I just want to read it and be allowed to make up my mind for myself...£3.99 + delivery, paperback:

I'm sure your local library will provide it on loan if you ask them at the counter, mine does.

There's a copy on my bookshelf, it's a wonderful novel. It annoyed many people in the Islamic world, especially Ruhollah Khomeini who is depicted as one of the characters. It's he who pronounced the fatwa calling for the death of both the author and all those involved in the book's publication. He was scarcely a disinterested party.

******* plot spoiler warning ********

There are three aspects of the novel which were offensive, none of which relate to the recounting of the Satanic Verses themselves - that's an old story which is still debated in Islamic circles, it's not taboo.

Firstly, there's a plotline in which some prostitutes in Mecca, during the Prophet's life but while Islam is still not the sole religion there, make themselves up and masquarade as his wives. Secondly, one of the transcribers of the Qur'an says (in the novel but not in history) that he introduced variations in the text as it was dictated to him by the Prophet. Both these plotlines occur in disorderly dreams, they're not recounted as factual but as ravings of the fevered character. Thirdly, the Ayatollah Khomeini is not given an altogether kindly rendering when he appears as his fictional counterpart.
Singh-Song

Post by Singh-Song »

Thanks. I think the local library probably withdrew it for fears of a mob attack. Here in Slough, we even had a 200-strong parade past the Town Hall with them burning effigies...
spot

Post by spot »

I don't doubt it was withdrawn from the shelves there. I'm sure it's available on request. Librarians are proud people.
jugglingmuggles

Post by jugglingmuggles »

Singh-Song;652197 wrote: By the way, all of these people in the Muslim World who claim that Salman Rushdie is somehow against Islam, who say that 'The Satanic Verses' is an anti-Islamic work he fully deserved a Fatwa issued against him for- How many of them have actually read the book themselves rather than just going on hearsay?
Very good point!
spot

Post by spot »

Ali;653534 wrote: The two aspects are insulting the prophet and hurting the muslim communities. Infact, the novel contains much more fabrications.

Will any christian, and also muslim, will bear these types of false literature against the Holy Jesus? Ofcourse not, if he loves Jesus by heart.

A literature should not consist of such insulting parts?My own opinion is that a novel, which is a speculative exploration and not a pretended history, is the ideal medium in which to explore the boundaries of insult. The novel doesn't pretend to be historical. The insults I refered to are all set in dreams to make it quite explicit that the writer doesn't regard them as history. Literature has a duty to insult.

The Ayatollah may also have had a duty to call for the death of the novelist and his aides. That resulted in his movements being restricted for many years and the death of three of his translators.

The British Honours system undoubtedly had a duty to recognise the genius of the author by awarding a knighthood, and the author undoubtedly has genius. It is a very well-crafted novel, as are some of his other novels.

Religion holds no protected place in the world free from insult and neither should it. Religion is optional.

Which Muslims hold Khalid bin Walid in disfavour, and why?
spot

Post by spot »

Ali;654274 wrote: What is Pi$$ Christ, can you explain any more. I don't know about it.It is an artwork which annoyed many Christians. There is a discussion of the attacks which were made on it at http://www.renewal.org.au/artcrime/pages/serrano.html together with a photograph.
spot

Post by spot »

Ali;654278 wrote: Regarding Khalid bin Walid disfavour, concisely speaking, you may know that like all other religions Islam has several school of thoughs and sects. Sunni school of though (which consist of Barelvi, Devbandi, Wahabi sects mainly) follow every companion of Prophet Mohammed blindly and regard them justified. Shia school of thought (which consist of Ithna Asheri, Bohra, Ismailiah sects mainly) doesn't accept this rule. They regard the companions of Prophet according to thier merit. Hope the explanation has cleared the point.

You "think that it's our moral responsibilty to respect each other" and I would applaud that. It is not, however, our legal responsibility. To invoke legal sanctions against disrespect is archaic, repressive and far more damaging to society than the original offence of disrepect ever could have been.

Your explanation above is welcome but it fails to indicate what Khalid bin Walid did to upset anybody in the Muslim world. For what can he be criticised?
Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

Post by Bryn Mawr »

spot;650877 wrote: It wasn't due to that at all, it was awarded on literary merit. You should read Midnight's Children, it's magnificent.

One of the most booring, rambling, tiresome books I've read in a very long time, and one book does not make a literary career worthy of a knighthood.
spot

Post by spot »

That one quite likely was. He has aspects of Tom Stoppard about him.
spot

Post by spot »

Ali;656091 wrote: People can sue the person in the court for insulting them. It means it can be legal crime also.I don't think I would feel comfortable living in a country where people can sue the person in the court for insulting them.

I could try to find out when that was last possible in England but I doubt whether it has been for at least two hundred years. I will try to find the most recent example but it might take me a while to find any at all.
spot

Post by spot »

Ali;656091 wrote: According to shia faith, prophet Mohammed (SAWAW) announced Ali (AS) as his successor several times in his life. But after his death the leadership of Islam was given to Abu Bak'r. Khalid bin Walid fought by the order of Abu Bak'r. So the shias do not advocate thier actions. Because the leadership was illegal.

Commanders such as Khalid ibn al-Walid are not political figures, they are subordinates who obey political commands. There was no other political commander between 632-634 than Abu Bak'r whether history regards him as legitimate or not. I speak as an ignorant outsider here but I have read that "Ali did not fight against the elected caliphs" when the leadership of Islam was given to, or taken by, Abu Bak'r.

What is a military commander to do in such circumstances? Go home and refuse to take orders from anybody? He can't take orders from Ali if "Ali did not fight against the elected caliphs".

You seem to be accusing Khalid of living at the wrong moment in history. You do not advocate his actions because the leadership during his time as an army commander was illegal. I'm not sure what you think he could have done to correct that. Rebel? Ali didn't rebel, did he?

Return to “General Religious Discussions”