Presidential Prediction

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
Lon

Presidential Prediction

Post by Lon »

Now that John McCain has chosen Sarah Palin (Governor of Alaska) as his Vice Presidential running mate, I am predicting that Obama will win the forthcoming election. What say you?
sunny104

Presidential Prediction

Post by sunny104 »

I'd choose McCain/Palin. :-6
Lon

Presidential Prediction

Post by Lon »

sunny104;966885 wrote: I'd choose McCain/Palin. :-6

Don't you think that Palin's resume is a little weak?
guppy

Presidential Prediction

Post by guppy »

McCain/Palin....Obama is a wild card right now..the economy is on shakey ground..i dont think Obama will win.
Richard Bell

Presidential Prediction

Post by Richard Bell »

Either way, it will be a historic election for your country- the first black president, or the first female vice-president.
Sheryl

Presidential Prediction

Post by Sheryl »

McCain/Palin. Obama's resume is weaker.
"Girls are crazy! I'm not ever getting married, I can make my own sandwiches!"

my son
Patsy Warnick

Presidential Prediction

Post by Patsy Warnick »

I say Obama will win the election

Sheryl, How is Obama's resume weak? Just curious ?

Patsy
flopstock

Presidential Prediction

Post by flopstock »

It's all a joke right?:rolleyes:

The sad thing is, it will work. uninformed Blacks will vote for Obama because he's black and uninformed women will vote for McCain because she's female..

issues? who cares about the issues:rolleyes:
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

spot

Presidential Prediction

Post by spot »

The Republicans will win for various reasons.

Firstly it's vital to the long-term health of America's psychotic political system that the Republicans win. This pretence of we/they has to be avoided. A Democrat win will allow every Republican in the country to heave a sigh of relief over the next four years and say their Bush policies were fine but the Democrats threw away every advantage that Bush had built. They'll be off the hook. That's why there's a two-party system in a country with one-party politics. The practical differences between a Democrat and a Republican administration are nit-picking and trivial compared with their similar approach to the economic divisions across the country and across the world. Pretending there's a we/they alternative allows "us" to blame "them" when "they", whichever they are, have control of the administration. It makes no difference to what happens which of them wins but it makes a huge difference in accountability. The Republicans need to run their course and sort their own blunders out rather than avoiding the responsibility.

The other reason is that the automated electronic vote machine programs are rigged by the current government and the Republicans have a built-in advantage in all the marginal wards. There's no paper trail, there's no confirmation to the voter that the machines register what they selected, there's no way of auditing other than by statistical analysis and the results last time had sufficient statistical evidence of manipulation that the conclusion they're rigged is unavoidable. As Putin said, if that voting system were in place in any other country but the USA the US would laugh their socks off and point to corrupt election practices.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Patsy Warnick

Presidential Prediction

Post by Patsy Warnick »

I'm not stating I'm voting for Obama

Can't say - no one discussed issues & their plan for the issues.

Patsy
Sheryl

Presidential Prediction

Post by Sheryl »

Patsy Warnick;966969 wrote: I say Obama will win the election

Sheryl, How is Obama's resume weak? Just curious ?

Patsy

It's just my opinion Patsy. I don't think he has enough experience to be president. I think his popularity is based more "celebrity like status" than being a politician. And his wife just plain scares me. I may be wrong, but I still won't be voting for him.

my son
Patsy Warnick

Presidential Prediction

Post by Patsy Warnick »

Sheryl

I can't tell you how many have said they're scared of Obama, and won't be voting for him.

And many won't be voting for McCain due to his age etc.

And many won't be voting at all.:-5

With McCain & Palin as a running mate - one needs to think if anything happened to McCain ..?

We will have a young unknown Female President.

Where does she stand on issues?

Patsy
Sheryl

Presidential Prediction

Post by Sheryl »

From what I"ve read she's very conservative. The guy who I liked has no chance, so I'm going to go back and read and see how Nader stands on issues. :wah:

my son
Patsy Warnick

Presidential Prediction

Post by Patsy Warnick »

McCain has scandal skeltons

don't forget his financial mess with Keating, they ripped thousands from people - McCain didn't lose any money $$$

nor did he try to repay those people he scammed.

Patsy
Nomad

Presidential Prediction

Post by Nomad »

Yes Obama will probably win the election.

Hes better organized.

Hes much more dynamic than Mcant.

I believe Obama has unstoppable momentum right now.

Last night Obama was clear and concise in his objectives for the presidency. I was especially fond of his statement that he clearly saw the need to eliminate some govt programs and streamline others.

I believe Obama picked the right running mate in Biden.

I really do believe the majority of Americans want something fresh and explosive in the White House. Mcant is neither of those things.

I believe Obama is sincere.

Im nether a Democrat nor a Republican but I will be voting for the Obama ticket.
I AM AWESOME MAN
chonsigirl

Presidential Prediction

Post by chonsigirl »

McCain made a very interesting selection for VP, and I think it will be very positive for the Republican party during this election. Obama has not impressed me yet, but McCain has on many issues. I think it will be a close race, but I am hoping for McCain.
Nomad

Presidential Prediction

Post by Nomad »

chonsigirl;967302 wrote: McCain made a very interesting selection for VP, and I think it will be very positive for the Republican party during this election. Obama has not impressed me yet, but McCain has on many issues. I think it will be a close race, but I am hoping for McCain.

What does it take to impress you politically speaking ?
I AM AWESOME MAN
southern yankee

Presidential Prediction

Post by southern yankee »

i am sure you are right. sad but true.:(
Nomad

Presidential Prediction

Post by Nomad »

southern yankee;967334 wrote: i am sure you are right. sad but true.:(

Whats sad ?

That he could win ?
I AM AWESOME MAN
chonsigirl

Presidential Prediction

Post by chonsigirl »

For a candidate to impress me, they need a definitive set of policies that I think would be useful for the nation, or the region they chose to represent. Obama has not delivered what I think would be the most beneficial. I will say, out of the spouses associated with the candidates, I am most impressed with his wife.

I think in this new century, politics is definitely viewed differently than it was when I became politically aware, in the '60s. The very serious problems affecting the nation were addressed than by many politicians, often at the insistence of the masses. This awareness brought about an era of change, which slowed down during the last decade of the century. It still remains stagnant at this point, Bush hasn't done alot to keep up current issues that needs addressed.

Between the two candidates, Obama and McCain, the voter will have to choose whom they think will bring this about, whether within their affiliated party lines or not. I would vote for either party, since I do not feel bound to vote Republican, which is my registered party.

I think this election will come down to what the voters want, what they perceive is needed in a time of economic decline, educational crisis, a shift in foreign policy-not totally isolationist but more withdrawn when needed, and addressing issues at home.

I will watch the debates when they come, and did not watch the conventions, just the news on both sides. Yes, I do analyze them from my historical background, and think about the new directions each could lead us to. Neither has me jumping up and down for joy, the charisma has not caught me from either one. I will make my choice based on what I know, what they have presented, and what direction I think the country should go.
Nomad

Presidential Prediction

Post by Nomad »

Obama wants to open up avenues of dialogue with nations we presently refuse to speak with.

To me this is really exciting.

How can we ever expect to find common ground with which to resolve issues if all we do is threaten and accuse.

Meaningful dialogue is essential.
I AM AWESOME MAN
chonsigirl

Presidential Prediction

Post by chonsigirl »

Yes, and meaningful dialogue with the people themselves, not just through their represenatives. We are locked within the system we have created, and it is a good one in most ways. But sometimes AC with his emphasis on state's rights has a very valid point, too much power has been taken by the federal government.

If there was a way to keep Congressional representation in the interest of the state's primarily, that would be a good thing. But too often once an elected official goes to Washington, their voting base is forgotten among the arena of federal power. It would be a much better system of check and balance, which we need more of, and has been sadly lacking lately.
Nomad

Presidential Prediction

Post by Nomad »

chonsigirl;967364 wrote: Yes, and meaningful dialogue with the people themselves, not just through their represenatives. We are locked within the system we have created, and it is a good one in most ways. But sometimes AC with his emphasis on state's rights has a very valid point, too much power has been taken by the federal government.

If there was a way to keep Congressional representation in the interest of the state's primarily, that would be a good thing. But too often once an elected official goes to Washington, their voting base is forgotten among the arena of federal power. It would be a much better system of check and balance, which we need more of, and has been sadly lacking lately.

In theory check and balance is a sound idea but in practical terms it seems as if less is getting done due to power struggles.

If Obama is elected Id put confidence in his ability to appeal to the sensibilities of working together on projects. Whether thats really possible I dont know.
I AM AWESOME MAN
chonsigirl

Presidential Prediction

Post by chonsigirl »

Those are things we won't know, until the election is over. I think both candidates will be strong enough to go up against Congress when needed.
shelbell

Presidential Prediction

Post by shelbell »

I'll take McCain as president...thank you very much.
flopstock

Presidential Prediction

Post by flopstock »

JAB;967087 wrote: I didn't see this one coming so I was surprised. At first glance, her resume is on the weak side but Obama's isn't a whole heck of a lot stronger.

I have to give kudos to McCain. Obama, the man of "change" picked a career politician with a minor scandal to his resume. McCain, the old fella, ducked tradition and went for a change by selecting a female VP. If he wins, Hillary's gonna have a kaniption! :wah:

Oh no... i hadn't considered the hillary reaction factor in my vote....:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

flopstock

Presidential Prediction

Post by flopstock »

Sheryl;967059 wrote: From what I"ve read she's very conservative. The guy who I liked has no chance, so I'm going to go back and read and see how Nader stands on issues. :wah:

ya know, if everyone disregarded the fact that 'he can't win' and then voted for him... i could get fun:D

Clint

Presidential Prediction

Post by Clint »

Is the purpose of electing a president to get the best possible CEO and CIC or is it to make history with affermative action? What has happened to us?

I predict McCain will win because he has the prettiest VP.:-3
Schooling results in matriculation. Education is a process that changes the learner.
QUINNSCOMMENTARY

Presidential Prediction

Post by QUINNSCOMMENTARY »

Obama was not going to win before Sarah or after.

The bloom will soon be off the rose.

Unless you are poor in America or don't have any aspirations to work toward a better life, why would you vote for more wealth transfer, more government programs, many of the type that have not worked in the last fifty years, higher taxes, more unionization and a less competitive America? :rolleyes:

Idealism, change, hope? The last time I looked Alice was still in Wonderland. ;)
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." George Bernard Shaw

"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody is not thinking" Gen. George Patton

Quinnscommentary

Observations on Life. Give it a try now and tell a friend or two or fifty. ;)

Quinnscommentary Blog
Clint

Presidential Prediction

Post by Clint »

QUINNSCOMMENTARY;967425 wrote: Obama was not going to win before Sarah or after.

Unless you are poor in America or don't have any aspirations to work toward a better life, why would you vote for more wealth transfer, more government programs, many of the type that have not worked in the last fifty years, higher taxes, more unionization and a less competitive America? :rolleyes:

Idealism, change, hope? The last time I looked Alice was still in Wonderland. ;)

Thank you for the perspective adjustment.
Schooling results in matriculation. Education is a process that changes the learner.
Nomad

Presidential Prediction

Post by Nomad »

QUINNSCOMMENTARY;967425 wrote: Obama was not going to win before Sarah or after.

Believe it or not there are some of us out here who genuinely care about the welfare of other people.
I AM AWESOME MAN
Nomad

Presidential Prediction

Post by Nomad »

Hoss;967497 wrote: I agree, but in his zeal to further his name and status I think he will compromise our national security. To me this is the most dangerous thing about Barak Obama, I think he is very much like Bill Clinton in that regard. I get from him the feeling that he is in this for selfish reasons.

Obama is sincere in his desire to do good work for the country, disagree with him or not I believe its clear that this isnt about him at all. Hes an activist. He fights for causes.
I AM AWESOME MAN
chonsigirl

Presidential Prediction

Post by chonsigirl »

Can you be specific, Nomad, about what causes? (this is a genuine question, not a snipe, since you will enlarge my knowledge of this candidate)
Accountable

Presidential Prediction

Post by Accountable »

[quote=Nomad;967102]Yes Obama will probably win the election. Yup

Hes better organized. Yup

Hes much more dynamic than Mcant. Yup

I believe Obama has unstoppable momentum right now. Possibly

Last night Obama was clear and concise in his objectives for the presidency. I was especially fond of his statement that he clearly saw the need to eliminate some govt programs and streamline others. He was definitely clear, which saddens me that people still want to vote for him. My favorite line was that McCain said he would follow Bin Laden to the gates of Hell, but he won't even follow him to the cave he's hiding in. :wah:

I believe Obama picked the right running mate in Biden. Yup, right for the party. I don't think you'll find a more sincere politician than Biden. Maybe Biden thinks he can influence Obama's plans. Maybe he sees this as his last best shot to be president.

I really do believe the majority of Americans want something fresh and explosive in the White House. Mcant is neither of those things. Fresh and explosive, yes. That's what radical Islamists especially want.

I believe Obama is sincere. I don't

Im nether a Democrat nor a Republican but I will be voting for the Obama ticket. I don't like either major candidate & won't vote for either, but do me a favor, bro. Stop with the McCant crap. The name's McCain and deserves the respect everyone here gives Obama. If not for that reason, then do it because it bugs me. :)
mikeinie

Presidential Prediction

Post by mikeinie »

I think that they should give Bush 4 more years, he has too much unfinished business:

1. War in Iraq is not over.

2. War in Afghanistan isn’t over yet.

3. He hasn’t Nuked Iran yet

4. He hasn’t Nuked North Korea yet

5. He hasn’t invaded Cuba or put an end to the ‘axes of evil’.. (Remember that?)

6. And he hasn’t really started the ‘new cold war’ yet although he is trying very very hard to get that in place before he is finished his term.

He has lots to do before he goes.

Or maybe McCain will pick up where he left off.
spot

Presidential Prediction

Post by spot »

Hoss;967744 wrote: I haven’t seen a kind comment about George Bush here yet. Does every European hate him?

Not to the exclusion of our own, Hoss. There's politicians over here just as much hated as that. As far as Bush goes, we tend to commiserate with Americans for the evil times they've fallen prey to.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
valerie

Presidential Prediction

Post by valerie »

chonsigirl;967302 wrote: McCain made a very interesting selection for VP, and I think it will be very positive for the Republican party during this election. Obama has not impressed me yet, but McCain has on many issues. I think it will be a close race, but I am hoping for McCain.

I would never vote for a man who called his wife a "c-word"...

C-word

Nor a VP candidate in favor of aerial hunting of wolves.

McCain is Bush lite, I can't see having a "third term" of the same old.
Tamsen's Dogster Page

http://www.dogster.com/?27525

qsducks

Presidential Prediction

Post by qsducks »

Lon;966872 wrote: Now that John McCain has chosen Sarah Palin (Governor of Alaska) as his Vice Presidential running mate, I am predicting that Obama will win the forthcoming election. What say you?

Personally, I was disgusted with McCain's choice for VP. Never heard of her and what will happen if he dies in office? We will be stuck with a no name VP with absolutely no experience in foreign affairs.
Clint

Presidential Prediction

Post by Clint »

Hoss;967906 wrote: So Europeans hate their own politicians too? I don't think we are in evil times because of President Bush. I feel like he's been fighting the evil and trying to secure us from it.

I agree, however he has disappointed me greatly with his lack of ability to explain what he is doing for us and the world but I think his actions will read well in the history books. On the other hand, domestically, he is a disapointment to me even though he is better than the option we had in the last two elections. Sadly, he is basically a liberal, big government, big spender and we can't take much more of that.

We need to keep in mind that Obama's acceptance speech was all about how he would expand government to do everything for everybody...except those who produce wealth and he calls rich.
Accountable

Presidential Prediction

Post by Accountable »

qsducks;967911 wrote: Personally, I was disgusted with McCain's choice for VP. Never heard of her and what will happen if he dies in office? We will be stuck with a no name VP with absolutely no experience in foreign affairs.
She deals with Canada pretty regularly. Not much experience but more than a freshman Illinois senator would have.

http://gov.state.ak.us/archive.php?id=1183&type=1

Return to “General Chit Chat”