BLM's Plan to Kill Our Wild Horses

Discussions about your pets!
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

Before anyone accuses me of being a downer, I figure if even a handful of people read this and take action, it will be worth it. We have animal lovers here and I would be remiss if I didn't point this out.

The info, petition and contact target can be found HERE and I will also post the info here for you.

From original petition:

BLM: Don't Kill Our Wild Horses

Target: Director James Caswell, Bureau of Land Management

Sponsored by: Care2.com

The Bureau of Land Management (BLM) has announced plans to kill America's wild horses rather than effectively manage our wild natural heritage.

BLM claims it can no longer afford to round up wild horses and confine them until it finds people to adopt them, and the agency wants to euthanize these majestic wild beauties or sell them to the highest bidder "without limitation" - meaning sell them to anyone, even if the bidder also plans to kill these horses.

Why does BLM need to round up wild horses and send them to slaughter? The BLM claims that the agency can't "allow horses to multiply unchecked on the range without causing an environmental disaster." But there are less than 30,000 wild horses on the range versus at least 3 million grazing cows. So rather than address the environmental damage caused by cattle overgrazing and expanding oil and gas exploration on our public lands, the BLM would rather placate corporate cattle ranchers who view mustangs as competition for forage, and drive wild horses - our country's symbol of freedom and independent spirit - to extinction.

This plan is simply outrageous. Stand up for our wild horses and send a comment to BLM today. Urge our government to abide by the Wild Free-Roaming Horses and Burro Act of 1971 and effectively manage the land to preserve wild horses rather than kill them!

Further reading:

AWI Press Release

Christopher J. Heyde

Deputy Director, Government and Legal Affairs

Animal Welfare Institute

PO Box 3650

Washington, DC 20027

Tel: (703) 836-4300 ~ Fax: (888) 260-2271

www.awionline.org

www.compassionindex.org

Euthanization is quick, and best of all, it's cheap. In case you're wondering, the BLM is considering three methods - a gunshot to the brain, an overdose of barbiturates, or a bolt to the skull, the killing technique portrayed in the movie "No Country for Old Men."

Source: Las Vegas Sun

Letter in The Sentinel

National Public Radio

The Humane Society of the United States

Alternatives To Slaughter

Another wild horse home made famous by Marguerite Henry (Misty of Chincoteague) uses a contraceptive vaccine (PZP) developed with the help of the Humane Society to control population. In 2004, the USGS reported (pdf) that $7.7 million could be saved annually using contraception.

Source: About US Politics

These are just a few. A Google search provides a glut of info on this issue.
qsducks

Post by qsducks »

I signed the petition Red. I've been to Chincoteague & Assateague in Maryland and have seen them on the beach. They are so beautiful. Although, at the time we went we were camping and had put our food in a tent only to come back from the beach hours later and finding horses in our tent having a power lunch:wah:
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

qsducks;974445 wrote: I signed the petition Red. I've been to Chincoteague & Assateague in Maryland and have seen them on the beach. They are so beautiful. Although, at the time we went we were camping and had put our food in a tent only to come back from the beach hours later and finding horses in our tent having a power lunch:wah:

:wah: Power lunch! Horse lips on your food! :-3

Those horses are something I would really like to see. I always watch the tv documentaries on them.

Thank you for signing, Ducks. :-6
qsducks

Post by qsducks »

At that point we let them have their lunch and went shopping but ended up storing everything in coolers. My SIL is a major horse fan and my kids have been riding them. A respectful animal in my eyes.

Return to “The Pets In Our Lives”