GOP Lying Again

Discuss the latest political news.
Ahso!

GOP Lying Again

Post by Ahso! »

Does it ever stop? And do the rank and file republicans ever care enough? I'm thinking not on both points. Its a shame the elected republicans make their constituents look stupid, and the rank and file just bend over and take it, time and time again.

As I understand this latest banking reform measure, there would be a 50 billion dollar fund set up with funds collected from the banks themselves (not taxpayer money) and put aside for the express purpose of dissolving any bank that fails so the taxpayer is not a line of credit for the failing bank, and the GOP is labeling this a taxpayer funded bailout fund.

In order to try to keep republicans at the negotiating table (only one is there actually - Bob Corker - and we know how honest he is) the democrats have offered to take the provision out of the bill. The republicans responded by saying that that doesn't matter because they are going to claim its there either way.

Isn't that something?
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Lon

GOP Lying Again

Post by Lon »

Ahso!;1304822 wrote: Does it ever stop? And do the rank and file republicans ever care enough? I'm thinking not on both points. Its a shame the elected republicans make their constituents look stupid, and the rank and file just bend over and take it, time and time again.

As I understand this latest banking reform measure, there would be a 50 billion dollar fund set up with funds collected from the banks themselves (not taxpayer money) and put aside for the express purpose of dissolving any bank that fails so the taxpayer is not a line of credit for the failing bank, and the GOP is labeling this a taxpayer funded bailout fund.

In order to try to keep republicans at the negotiating table (only one is there actually - Bob Corker - and we know how honest he is) the democrats have offered to take the provision out of the bill. The republicans responded by saying that that doesn't matter because they are going to claim its there either way.

Isn't that something?

And of course we have our Wall Street Friendly Dems don't we?

Both parties suck!

Biden To Wall-Street-Friendly Democrats: The Middle Class Comes First
Ahso!

GOP Lying Again

Post by Ahso! »

Lon;1304839 wrote: And of course we have our Wall Street Friendly Dems don't we?

Both parties suck!

Biden To Wall-Street-Friendly Democrats: The Middle Class Comes FirstI hope, but doubt you say that in reverse while you're pulling your voting lever for straight line GOP.

If you feel so strongly cynical, why vote or participate in these discussions?

Feeling cynical is definitely the way to approach politics, isn't it? Thats what 75 years of life's experiences has gotten you? No thanks! You can have that too!

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Lon

GOP Lying Again

Post by Lon »

Ahso!;1304842 wrote: I hope, but doubt you say that in reverse while you're pulling your voting lever for straight line GOP.

If you feel so strongly cynical, why vote or participate in these discussions?

Feeling cynical is definitely the way to approach politics, isn't it? Thats what 75 years of life's experiences has gotten you? No thanks! You can have that too!

Boy are you off base------------FYI----I voted Obama----------secondly ----I think both parties are guilty of self interest and favoritism and not the interest of your average citizenry. Finally ---- I do enjoy discussions, but tirades against one or the other party

hardly constitutes a discussion.
DrLeftover

GOP Lying Again

Post by DrLeftover »

October 2009

" A Goldman Sachs executive has been named the first chief operating officer of the Securities and Exchange Commission's enforcement division.

The market watchdog says Adam Storch, vice president in Goldman Sachs' Business Intelligence Group, is assuming the new position of managing executive of the SEC division.

The move comes as the SEC revamps its enforcement efforts following the agency's failure to uncover Bernard Madoff's massive fraud scheme for nearly two decades despite numerous red flags.

"

From the New York Times.
[Signature Removed]
Ahso!

GOP Lying Again

Post by Ahso! »

Lon;1304846 wrote: Boy are you off base------------FYI----I voted Obama----------secondly ----I think both parties are guilty of self interest and favoritism and not the interest of your average citizenry. Finally ---- I do enjoy discussions, but tirades against one or the other party

hardly constitutes a discussion.Nothing relevant to the op, Lon? Have I got the story wrong, or have I been misinformed? If so present some evidence.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Ahso!

GOP Lying Again

Post by Ahso! »

DrLeftover;1304853 wrote: October 2009

" A Goldman Sachs executive has been named the first chief operating officer of the Securities and Exchange Commission's enforcement division.

The market watchdog says Adam Storch, vice president in Goldman Sachs' Business Intelligence Group, is assuming the new position of managing executive of the SEC division.

The move comes as the SEC revamps its enforcement efforts following the agency's failure to uncover Bernard Madoff's massive fraud scheme for nearly two decades despite numerous red flags.

"

From the New York Times.Nothing relevant to the op, DL? Lets keep it focused, okay? If you'd like to begin a new thread about this irrelevant subject, be my guest.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
LarryAllen

GOP Lying Again

Post by LarryAllen »

Lon;1304846 wrote: Boy are you off base------------FYI----I voted Obama----------secondly ----I think both parties are guilty of self interest and favoritism and not the interest of your average citizenry. Finally ---- I do enjoy discussions, but tirades against one or the other party

hardly constitutes a discussion.

To coin a phrase made famous by the Russian comedian, Yakov Smirnoff,

With the Democrats, man exploits man. With the republicans, it is just the opposite.
Lon

GOP Lying Again

Post by Lon »

Ahso!;1304860 wrote: Nothing relevant to the op, Lon? Have I got the story wrong, or have I been misinformed? If so present some evidence.

You just don't get it do you Ahso?---------it's not about the story being right or wrong:thinking:
DrLeftover

GOP Lying Again

Post by DrLeftover »

If a clear conflict of interest, not to mention the buying of special favors with over a million in campaign contributions from G-S execs, isn't relevant.... then I'll stand down.
[Signature Removed]
Ahso!

GOP Lying Again

Post by Ahso! »

I couldn't care less whether or not you like how I began the thread. Don't participate if you can't remain focused.

The OP is about the GOP lying about what I've presented as the goal of the bill.

DL start a thread dedicated to your topic if you want to, but keep your comments confined to the OP, please.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Lon

GOP Lying Again

Post by Lon »

Ahso!;1304870 wrote: I couldn't care less whether or not you like how I began the thread. Don't participate if you can't remain focused.

The OP is about the GOP lying about what I've presented as the goal of the bill.

DL start a thread dedicated to your topic if you want to, but keep your comments confined to the OP, please.

Woeee-------you are getting nasty and out of sorts--------careful or I'll have you prosecuted for ELDER ABUSE :wah:

You make your self as clear as mud most times.
Ahso!

GOP Lying Again

Post by Ahso! »

So, here we go; from PolitiFact PolitiFact | Bank bailouts not in bill, but liquidation is

Sen. Mitch McConnell said that new financial regulations under consideration in the Senate could lead to only one thing: bailouts.

"In fact, if you look at it carefully, it will lead to endless taxpayer bailouts of Wall Street banks," McConnell said at a press conference on April 14, adding that it "actually guarantees future bailouts of Wall Street banks" and that it sets up "in perpetuity the potential for additional taxpayer bailouts of large institutions."

But

Corker gave an extended speech on the floor of the Senate the day before, discussing many details of the bill, including the $50 billion fund.

"This fund that has been set up is anything but a bailout," Corker said. "It has been set up in essence to provide upfront funding by the industry so that when these companies are seized, there is money available to make payroll and to wind it down while the pieces are being sold off." (By the way, Corker has asked both Democrats and Republicans to cool down some of their rhetoric on financial reform.)

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
yaaarrrgg

GOP Lying Again

Post by yaaarrrgg »

The GOP leaders are accusing the Democrats of siding with big banks and Wall St, but all the while the GOP has been the worst offender in this area. Seems like the GOP is banking on the big gamble that American voters are complete imbeciles.

Return to “Current Political Events”