A third of people rely on retired parents for financial support.

OpenMind

Post by OpenMind »

A third rely on financial support from retired parents - Telegraph
Lon

Post by Lon »

I don't think that is as common in the U.S. Maybe to a much smaller percent. On the other hand I see many retirees literally raising their grandchildren because of single parenting due to divorce on the part of their children.
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

Thats interesting. My step father at 76 still works. Will never retire and could barely afford to if he wanted to. My mother always jokes. "When we go, you can have everything we don't have"

I'm hoping its the other way round and my children find a fortune to look after Ma and Pa in their old age
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
OpenMind

Post by OpenMind »

Life now is a stark contrast to how it used to be. Grandparents would be taken care of by their children. The grandparents would be on hand to help out like looking after the children if needs be. And they'd be able to recant their tales of their lives repeatedly to allcomers.

But to still be reliant on your parents even when they've retired is wrong in my mind.
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

OpenMind;1329353 wrote: Life now is a stark contrast to how it used to be. Grandparents would be taken care of by their children. The grandparents would be on hand to help out like looking after the children if needs be. And they'd be able to recant their tales of their lives repeatedly to allcomers.

But to still be reliant on your parents even when they've retired is wrong in my mind.

Interesting point OP. We often have to listen to people complaing that people in the third world have too many children. There is a very good reason they do, as you point to in your post. Each generation relies on the next to look after them when they are elderly. Third world countries often rely on subsistance farming to feed themselves, so large families are essential to work the fields
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
OpenMind

Post by OpenMind »

Snowfire;1329357 wrote: Interesting point OP. We often have to listen to people complaing that people in the third world have too many children. There is a very good reason they do, as you point to in your post. Each generation relies on the next to look after them when they are elderly. Third world countries often rely on subsistance farming to feed themselves, so large families are essential to work the fields

On the downside, there used to be lots of people living in houses that were too small for them all.
Odie

Post by Odie »

OpenMind;1329304 wrote: A third rely on financial support from retired parents - Telegraph

I can understand single parents/w children needing help thru rough times, but I hope ones aren't taking advantage of their parents at that age.
Life is just to short for drama.
Lon

Post by Lon »

What I find interesting is the large number of adult single males that still live with their parents.
Odie

Post by Odie »

Lon;1329540 wrote: What I find interesting is the large number of adult single males that still live with their parents.

They do here to Lon, some just sponge, pay no rent, no food, no nothing.

Some pay rent, but I've never understood why parents don't kick them out or that they want to live at home with their parents for so many years.
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

Well here's something for you to ponder . An aquaintence of mine has a son getting married. He has asked his mother to contribute. Mother is happy to do this ..she hands over $5000 ...Oh we were wanting $10,000.

She finds out that the father and the in laws are also contributing. The actual wedding will cost $40,000 ....The couple has contributed nothing ..not one thing to their own wedding. Apparently they have their 'houses' and brand new cars to pay for. ...I'm sorry, am I the only one who has a problem with this? Is this spounging? yep! So they can get rich quicker and retire earlier . But until then everyone else will have to contribute .honestly the audacity of it!!!!!
Odie

Post by Odie »

fuzzywuzzy;1329565 wrote: Well here's something for you to ponder . An aquaintence of mine has a son getting married. He has asked his mother to contribute. Mother is happy to do this ..she hands over $5000 ...Oh we were wanting $10,000.

She finds out that the father and the in laws are also contributing. The actual wedding will cost $40,000 ....The couple has contributed nothing ..not one thing to their own wedding. Apparently they have their 'houses' and brand new cars to pay for. ...I'm sorry, am I the only one who has a problem with this? Is this spounging? yep! So they can get rich quicker and retire earlier . But until then everyone else will have to contribute .honestly the audacity of it!!!!!

Those two are extremely selfish....shocked the parents and in laws don't realise that.
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

ummm actually that's why my friend told me about it ...They've all only just discovered it.
Odie

Post by Odie »

fuzzywuzzy;1329571 wrote: ummm actually that's why my friend told me about it ...They've all only just discovered it.

hopefully they will change their minds on how much money they are giving them.

Return to “Societal Issues News”