Hello, I'm a newbie

New member introductions. Tell us a little about yourself. Then, click on "Blogs" above and start your own personal blog!
Wandrin

Hello, I'm a newbie

Post by Wandrin »

The recommendation to ForumGarden was rather strange. Elsewhere, I saw a comment from someone saying that he had checked it out but everyone was too friendly and polite and that people weren't insulting each other - it was boring. I made a note to myself to check out this place where people were not insulting. I found a community where ideas might be challenged, but the person putting forth the idea was not denigrated or ridiculed. That was when I decided to become a member of ForumGarden.

I live in a house that has wheels and an engine. Where I find myself today might not be where I am tomorrow. How I came to be on this journey is not something I feel comfortable revealing in an introduction posting, although I'm sure that it will come out soon. Since my dear wife died, it is just my dog and I, and our rolling house.

I'm still working. Since I do a very specific type of software, no client really cares where I am at any given point in time. They only care about me delivering what they need by the agreed upon date. Oh, and I charge extra for phone calls, meetings, and changes. :)

I look forward to meeting the members of this very interesting community.
Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

Hello, I'm a newbie

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Wandrin;1357694 wrote: The recommendation to ForumGarden was rather strange. Elsewhere, I saw a comment from someone saying that he had checked it out but everyone was too friendly and polite and that people weren't insulting each other - it was boring. I made a note to myself to check out this place where people were not insulting. I found a community where ideas might be challenged, but the person putting forth the idea was not denigrated or ridiculed. That was when I decided to become a member of ForumGarden.

I live in a house that has wheels and an engine. Where I find myself today might not be where I am tomorrow. How I came to be on this journey is not something I feel comfortable revealing in an introduction posting, although I'm sure that it will come out soon. Since my dear wife died, it is just my dog and I, and our rolling house.

I'm still working. Since I do a very specific type of software, no client really cares where I am at any given point in time. They only care about me delivering what they need by the agreed upon date. Oh, and I charge extra for phone calls, meetings, and changes. :)

Mornin'

Welcome to the Garden, I look forward to hearing more of your story :-)

I'm hoping to set out on my wander in the next couple of years - no wheels though, just a prop to push me along and enough water to float my boat. Until then it will just be a week here and a fortnight there as usual.

What software? I'm in financial systems design and several other members are on the support side of the computer game so you'll not be out of place there.

Dive in and make your presence felt and be welcome :-6
spot

Hello, I'm a newbie

Post by spot »

I have a terrible suspicion that we've honed the insult to such rapier-like precision that it's become invisible.

We are, Wandrin, as vicious a bunch of online thugs as you could meet in a month of Sundays. I'm sure you'll fit right in.

Enjoy the site.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
spot

Hello, I'm a newbie

Post by spot »

Wandrin;1357694 wrote: I live in a house that has wheels and an engine. Where I find myself today might not be where I am tomorrow. I'm left with an indelible image of Gary Oldman and a forty ton mobile headquarters constantly cruising the Interstates, with more bandwidth than the average city.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Wandrin

Hello, I'm a newbie

Post by Wandrin »

spot;1357700 wrote: I have a terrible suspicion that we've honed the insult to such rapier-like precision that it's become invisible.

We are, Wandrin, as vicious a bunch of online thugs as you could meet in a month of Sundays. I'm sure you'll fit right in.

Enjoy the site.

Your test of the newbie's sense of humor is duly noted. I, in turn, have made a mental note of yours. Thank you for revealing that to me. :)
Lon

Hello, I'm a newbie

Post by Lon »

Welcome Wandrin----------------I welcome your input-------------fire away.
Delorean

Hello, I'm a newbie

Post by Delorean »

spot;1357700 wrote: I have a terrible suspicion that we've honed the insult to such rapier-like precision that it's become invisible.

Enjoy the site.
:yh_rotfl

Welcome to the garden, Wandrin :-6
ButterflyPrincess

Hello, I'm a newbie

Post by ButterflyPrincess »

Hello & welcome. :) :)
CARLA

Hello, I'm a newbie

Post by CARLA »

Boring Humm..!! they didn't stick around long enough. :) We do try to be civil for the most part as we are adults and attempt to act accordingly. :yh_peace Welcome hope you enjoy it here.
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

Wandrin

Hello, I'm a newbie

Post by Wandrin »

CARLA;1357713 wrote: Boring Humm..!! they didn't stick around long enough. :) We do try to be civil for the most part as we are adults and attempt to act accordingly. :yh_peace Welcome hope you enjoy it here.

so far, most of my attempts to reply get the following error messge: Post denied. New posts are limited by number of URLs it may contain and checked if it doesn't contain forbidden words.

It does not seem to matter what I post - the error message is the same.
Wandrin

Hello, I'm a newbie

Post by Wandrin »

Enjoy the site.

Ooooo, that would be challenging to the intellect. On the other hand, there could never be a month of Sundays...
Wandrin

Hello, I'm a newbie

Post by Wandrin »

Bryn Mawr;1357696 wrote: Mornin'

Welcome to the Garden, I look forward to hearing more of your story :-)

I'm hoping to set out on my wander in the next couple of years - no wheels though, just a prop to push me along and enough water to float my boat. Until then it will just be a week here and a fortnight there as usual.

What software? I'm in financial systems design and several other members are on the support side of the computer game so you'll not be out of place there.

Dive in and make your presence felt and be welcome :-6

Ahhh, I gave them away too soon. I gave two boxes of books on seafaring, yacht building and outfitting, and navigation to the local "friends of the library". Included was "Only a Damned Fool", which you might want to read (just for fun).

My specialty is real-time software, mostly used for industrial automation and robotics. I also write operating system kernel software for a few companies in Silicon Valley that you might recognize. I stay away from application level software, since it tends to be fickle and require lots of meetings. The obscure stuff I work on can be done anywhere and no one worries about it until the due dates. :)
spot

Hello, I'm a newbie

Post by spot »

Wandrin;1357714 wrote: It does not seem to matter what I post - the error message is the same.I'll be grateful if you keep your eye on what the system does to you during your first few dozen posts - it's not easy to test. We have various settings relating to new-registered spammers which may quite easily be wrongly pitched, interfering with legitimate posters and generally screwed up. The administration would be delighted to change the settings if it had a clue what was going on.
Scrat

Hello, I'm a newbie

Post by Scrat »

Welcome aboard and what was this other forum?
Loyal

Hello, I'm a newbie

Post by Loyal »

Hello Wandrin, I am a relative new member, myself. When I stopped this Forum it was because it seemed to ba a safe place. I started communicating with Lon and I soon found out that whe wasn't my speed. she was a know it all. Her last words to me was "chicken".I am a grown adult person and that was very childish. Needless to say, she is off my list.-----I love your blue wolf howling at the moon. Out in the wide open, nothing to distrube him. Only he and the calness of the night. How I like to go out in a dark night, nothing except me and the stars. The crispness in the air and the quiet of the night, makes all the cares of the day go away.--------I was married for 20 years, ended in divorce.-------I am married now, but I still don't know what real love is. It sounds as if you probably experienced it all with your dear departed wife. I didn't mean to get so involved, I hope you will forgive me. It helps to have some one to listen. I'm to old and tired now. I have ever ache and pain in the book. -------------Well I hope this familuarizes you with Forum Gardens. If I am any mirrow to what you might see else where. ---------Thanks for the ride.--------Loyal
gmc

Hello, I'm a newbie

Post by gmc »

Wandrin;1357694 wrote: The recommendation to ForumGarden was rather strange. Elsewhere, I saw a comment from someone saying that he had checked it out but everyone was too friendly and polite and that people weren't insulting each other - it was boring. I made a note to myself to check out this place where people were not insulting. I found a community where ideas might be challenged, but the person putting forth the idea was not denigrated or ridiculed. That was when I decided to become a member of ForumGarden.

Welcome, peripatetic software engineer. That sound like fun. I'm a cured workaholic myself.
along-for-the-ride

Hello, I'm a newbie

Post by along-for-the-ride »

Hello Wanderin. Enjoy your visits with us. You're wanderin' and I'm along for the ride. ;)
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
Nomad

Hello, I'm a newbie

Post by Nomad »

That has got to be the single worst introduction I have ever read. Its just dreadful.
I AM AWESOME MAN
Wandrin

Hello, I'm a newbie

Post by Wandrin »

Nomad;1357881 wrote: That has got to be the single worst introduction I have ever read. Its just dreadful.

Hee hee. Sorry 'bout that.
gmc

Hello, I'm a newbie

Post by gmc »

posted by wandrin

I live in a house that has wheels and an engine.

If it's not a rude question can i ask what kind if vehicle is it you have? How practical is a nomadic lifestyle in the states? Over here travellers have a pretty hard time of it, although I don't suppose you would fall in to the categories of tinkers, gypsies, travellers or new age travellers.
spot

Hello, I'm a newbie

Post by spot »

He's a international crook who but for the constant intervention of Bruce Willis would own almost as much as Donald Trump but with better looks and a more upper-class accent. I saw the movie. I bet he can fly a helicopter too.
Wandrin

Hello, I'm a newbie

Post by Wandrin »

gmc;1357985 wrote: posted by wandrin

If it's not a rude question can i ask what kind if vehicle is it you have? How practical is a nomadic lifestyle in the states? Over here travellers have a pretty hard time of it, although I don't suppose you would fall in to the categories of tinkers, gypsies, travellers or new age travellers.

It's not a rude question at all. I live in a Bluebird Wanderlodge motor coach that runs on biodiesel fuel. I had the interior designed for two people, rather than the usual 6 or 8, so there is little wasted space. Since all of the tanks are located in the heated basement, there are no worries about weather. A small dome on the roof hold the satellite dish. I can aim it toward the sat for my Internet connection or to a different sat for TV reception. There is a small motorcycle that lives on the rear bumper to allow me to explore a new area without moving my "house".

There aren't really many logistical problems. If I know that I will be in a particular area for more than a few days, I send an email and my mail arrives at the local post office. I am registered to vote by mail, so that isn't a problem.

I prefer the woods to formal campgrounds, but that is easily arranged with property owners or state/federal forest folks. My doctor and vet both keep in contact via email, so it is easy to find someone local (if needed) who is recommended by someone I trust.
Wandrin

Hello, I'm a newbie

Post by Wandrin »

spot;1357989 wrote: He's a international crook who but for the constant intervention of Bruce Willis would own almost as much as Donald Trump but with better looks and a more upper-class accent. I saw the movie. I bet he can fly a helicopter too.

I think you may have me confused with someone else, but I would enjoy learning to fly a helicopter, having a lot of money, and meeting Bruce Willis.:D
Loyal

Hello, I'm a newbie

Post by Loyal »

Nomad;1357881 wrote: That has got to be the single worst introduction I have ever read. Its just dreadful.

"A wise man restrains his tongue." Lets hope wandrin overlooks the insult. This is to his credit.
spot

Hello, I'm a newbie

Post by spot »

Loyal;1358030 wrote: "A wise man restrains his tongue."

Hang on, this in Nomad you're talking about??
Loyal

Hello, I'm a newbie

Post by Loyal »

exactly what is it you want me to hang on to ? and yes it is , Nomad I'm talking to. That's not anyway to welcome some one, by using the words "dreadful and worst." Surely, you could have been more polite. this would have been better, "judging from your introduction, you seem to be an interesting person and we welcome your imput." I'll bet my wooden nickel , you could have done that.---------(Some people like to make cutting remarks, but the words of the wise, soothe and heal)
Lon

Hello, I'm a newbie

Post by Lon »

Loyal;1358057 wrote: exactly what is it you want me to hang on to ? and yes it is , Nomad I'm talking to. That's not anyway to welcome some one, by using the words "dreadful and worst." Surely, you could have been more polite. this would have been better, "judging from your introduction, you seem to be an interesting person and we welcome your imput." I'll bet my wooden nickel , you could have done that.---------(Some people like to make cutting remarks, but the words of the wise, soothe and heal)

Wow!!!! Nomad would no doubt agree with me that your above post is the second worst post that has ever appeared on FB.

Tsk tsk
Wandrin

Hello, I'm a newbie

Post by Wandrin »

I still haven't heard what it is that I botched in my introduction. I'm one of those people that likes to learn from their mistakes and would welcome the opportunity to do so.
Lon

Hello, I'm a newbie

Post by Lon »

Wandrin;1358060 wrote: I still haven't heard what it is that I botched in my introduction. I'm one of those people that likes to learn from their mistakes and would welcome the opportunity to do so.

Lighten up-----We are just putting you on--------pulling your leg------jesting-------you really haven't done anything wrong.
Wandrin

Hello, I'm a newbie

Post by Wandrin »

Lon;1358061 wrote: Lighten up-----We are just putting you on--------pulling your leg------jesting-------you really haven't done anything wrong.

Ahhhh... My newbie initiation?
Loyal

Hello, I'm a newbie

Post by Loyal »

WELL!!!!WELL!!!------I should have known, it's the ole gal that doesn't know a "chicken" from a-----I perfer to be called a swan.
gmc

Hello, I'm a newbie

Post by gmc »

Wandrin;1357991 wrote: It's not a rude question at all. I live in a Bluebird Wanderlodge motor coach that runs on biodiesel fuel. I had the interior designed for two people, rather than the usual 6 or 8, so there is little wasted space. Since all of the tanks are located in the heated basement, there are no worries about weather. A small dome on the roof hold the satellite dish. I can aim it toward the sat for my Internet connection or to a different sat for TV reception. There is a small motorcycle that lives on the rear bumper to allow me to explore a new area without moving my "house".

There aren't really many logistical problems. If I know that I will be in a particular area for more than a few days, I send an email and my mail arrives at the local post office. I am registered to vote by mail, so that isn't a problem.

I prefer the woods to formal campgrounds, but that is easily arranged with property owners or state/federal forest folks. My doctor and vet both keep in contact via email, so it is easy to find someone local (if needed) who is recommended by someone I trust.

Looked that up. You have a converted bus bigger than most of our buses - I wouldn't get something that size into my street. I've seen a few american imports but they tend not to wander too far off the motorways. I've been toying with buying a bongo - it would probably fit in your boot.
spot

Hello, I'm a newbie

Post by spot »

I'm sure you can't call just it a boot, you know. They've a proper word for it.
spot

Hello, I'm a newbie

Post by spot »

Annexe, maybe.
Wandrin

Hello, I'm a newbie

Post by Wandrin »

gmc;1358188 wrote: Looked that up. You have a converted bus bigger than most of our buses - I wouldn't get something that size into my street. I've seen a few american imports but they tend not to wander too far off the motorways. I've been toying with buying a bongo - it would probably fit in your boot.

I have an older unit that has been refitted. It is nowhere near as large as the monsters that you might see these days, although admittedly large by European standards. The length is 32 feet. That size fits into most National Forest and State Park campsites. It actually handles dirt fire roads in the forest reasonably well.

I toyed with the idea of purchasing a Class-B unit based on the Mercedes Sprinter platform, which is probably closer to what you would see there. The space was a little cramped for full-time living/working and the time between connections to power, water, and sewage disposal was a fraction of what I have.
Wandrin

Hello, I'm a newbie

Post by Wandrin »

spot;1358189 wrote: I'm sure you can't call just it a boot, you know. They've a proper word for it.

I don't have a boot/trunk, but I have a basement.
Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

Hello, I'm a newbie

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Wandrin;1358195 wrote: I don't have a boot/trunk, but I have a basement.

My youngest daughter bought a trunk just last week - now she has woodworm :-(

(I was tempted to say her wooden leg would never be the same again but that would be a disconect too far :wah:).
Wandrin

Hello, I'm a newbie

Post by Wandrin »

Bryn Mawr;1358196 wrote: My youngest daughter bought a trunk just last week - now she has woodworm :-(

(I was tempted to say her wooden leg would never be the same again but that would be a disconect too far :wah:).

It is fun to compare the colloquial terms for common items between countries and wonder how that term was chosen. Boot? Trunk? A hood can be an engine cover, an item of clothing, an expression describing a gangster, or the area where one lives. Thankfully, there is an online etymology dictionary for when I get very curious.
Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

Hello, I'm a newbie

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Wandrin;1358198 wrote: It is fun to compare the colloquial terms for common items between countries and wonder how that term was chosen. Boot? Trunk? A hood can be an engine cover, an item of clothing, an expression describing a gangster, or the area where one lives. Thankfully, there is an online etymology dictionary for when I get very curious.

Mine weighs about six pounds and was published in the early fifties - don't know what I'd have done without it over the years.

Interesting how ex-pat communities keep the old words, customs and meanings alive far longer that the home population do.
Wandrin

Hello, I'm a newbie

Post by Wandrin »

Bryn Mawr;1358204 wrote: Mine weighs about six pounds and was published in the early fifties - don't know what I'd have done without it over the years.

Interesting how ex-pat communities keep the old words, customs and meanings alive far longer that the home population do.

I'm happy that I no longer need bookshelf space for encyclopedias, dictionaries, and other general reference material, especially since I don't have the space.

That is interesting about ex-pat communities. Perhaps it is a comfort to them and a treasured connection to their origins.
bauer5152

Hello, I'm a newbie

Post by bauer5152 »

hello, i am new here, i am very happy come here , nice to meet you .

Return to “Introductions”