The 11th Asia Security Summit

Jessica12

Post by Jessica12 »

The 11th Asia Security Summit(Shangri-La Dialogue) was held in Singapore on June 1st and 2nd. Ministers of National Defense from over twenty countries, including Korea, U.S.A., China, Russia and Japan gathered in Singapore to discuss the security situation in Asia.

One of the heated topics was North Korea's nuclear experiment and missile experiments. Southeast Asia's territorial dispute over the South China sea was also a big discussion topic.

Minister of National Defense Kim, Kwan Jin of South Korea participated in a Korea, U.S.A., Japan Defense Summit and also had meetings with India and Australia's Ministers of Defense. He had discussions about North Korea, South China Sea's territorial dispute, and the overall peace of the Asian continent.

One thing to note is the summit's collective decision to stand strong against North Korea's provocation ways, like their missile experiments, nuclear experiments and other forms of human cruelty. The summit's consequential action regarding North Korea in the coming weeks and months is something to look forward to.
gmc

Post by gmc »

More effective perhaps than anything the west will do.
spot

Post by spot »

Jessica12;1395434 wrote: Minister of National Defense Kim, Kwan Jin of South Korea participated I can't actually find any mention in the Speaker Agenda that he made an address - just because one's a Cabinet Minister doesn't mean one's opinion is sought or even valued. Kim Kwan-jin spent his professional career as yet another untouchable thug in a uniform, South Korea's suffered too much for too long from too many unaccountable power-brokers like him. Lim Sung-nam ("Seoul's chief nuclear envoy to the stalled Six-Party Talks") did make an address, I could summarize his contribution if you like.

I was more struck by the following, is seems helpful in the context of Korea especially.The first thing we have to be aware of, and pay close attention to, is the " spillover effect". We have porous borders and cross-border ethnic issues. The combination of these two factors lends greater intensity to the spillover effect. If one nation faces a crisis, the spillover effect will surely drag down the other as well. Domestic instability in one country will create a massive burden for its neighbors, for example, large migration waves and trade restrictions and imbalances. Understanding, cooperation, and being a supportive are key factors in preventing the spillover effect.

A wealth gap between neighboring nations is another issue that may cause regional instability. This wealth gap is both a `push factor` and a `pull factor` in the creation of a migration pattern between countries. A large labour migration wave brings many unwanted consequences in its wake. In this situation constructive engagement in a supportive manner and mutually beneficial cooperation will be the best course of a action to attain a sustainable resolution.

Non- Traditional threats, such as drugs and human trafficking, gun running, and terrorism create the most instability in the region. Even with international assistance, if there is no close cooperation among neighboring nations little success will be achieved in combating these problems. This phenomenon can be witnessed everywhere.

Resolving historical legacies, such as border disputes, is another factor to be dealt with properly in order to maintain sustainable regional stability. This issue has taken deep roots in our region with time, and is a very, sensitive issue. Nations are very reluctant to compromise in dealing with sovereignty, as it can hurt the incumbent government a lot in domestic politics.

Third Plenary Session, Deterrence and Regional Stability

Lieutenant General Hla Min, Minister for Defence, Myanmar

IISS Third Plenary Session - Lieutenant General Hla Min

Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.

Return to “Societal Issues News”