Iraqi jihadists order genital mutilation of all women

AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

My disgust knows no bounds.

Geneva (AFP) - "Jihadists in Iraq have ordered that all women between the ages of 11 and 46 must undergo female genital mutilation, which could affect up to four million women and girls in the war-ravaged country, a UN official said Thursday."

To read more, if your digestive tract can stand it, go to:

FourPart

Post by FourPart »

It never fails to baffle me how in this day & age of Technology, Science & Education that there are still those who can yield to the barbarities of ignorant & superstitious Religious Sacrifice.

What is more disgusting is that the parents & families of these Girls / Women are content to stand by & be told that this is what they must do, bowing to the command of some self-proclaimed Religious Dictator rather than taking matters into their own hands & thinking for themselves.
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

FourPart;1460699 wrote: It never fails to baffle me how in this day & age of Technology, Science & Education that there are still those who can yield to the barbarities of ignorant & superstitious Religious Sacrifice.

What is more disgusting is that the parents & families of these Girls / Women are content to stand by & be told that this is what they must do, bowing to the command of some self-proclaimed Religious Dictator rather than taking matters into their own hands & thinking for themselves.

I'm supposing they are afraid to take matters into their own hands. I doubt they are 'content'. And the ages, FourPart--11-46! That means there will be plenty of mothers with their own daughters being subject to this, together! They need the protections of husbands, fathers, brothers!

This situation lies at the feet of the United States & any other country who supplied military support in the war against Saddam Hussein.
theia

Post by theia »

FourPart;1460699 wrote: It never fails to baffle me how in this day & age of Technology, Science & Education that there are still those who can yield to the barbarities of ignorant & superstitious Religious Sacrifice.

Maybe we have to imagine what life is like in a culture different to our own? How difficult it must be to take a stand against an accepted cultural practice.
Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

theia;1460704 wrote: Maybe we have to imagine what life is like in a culture different to our own? How difficult it must be to take a stand against an accepted cultural practice.

But the reports point out that in Iraq it ISN'T an accepted cultural practice & is, in fact, relatively rare.
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

For Women to take a stand on their own isn't an accepted cultural practice, though, is it? I am really afraid for these women. I can imagine them being dragged out of their homes, or invaded within their homes, against their will. Will the men in their lives take a stand, one that could result in their deaths? Would the women want them to risk their lives for this procedure? I don't know, I don't know, I don't know what they can do!

Have a protest march? Somehow, I can't see that either. The world must take up their cause--but how? By signing petitions?
theia

Post by theia »

FourPart;1460705 wrote: But the reports point out that in Iraq it ISN'T an accepted cultural practice & is, in fact, relatively rare.

To be honest I didn't read Anne's link because she warned it might have an unsettling effect on the digestive tract, so my response isn't well informed.

Okay, so it isn't an accepted cultural practice in Iraq...however, there must be sub cultures which do accept it or the issue wouldn't arise.
Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

theia;1460707 wrote: To be honest I didn't read Anne's link because she warned it might have an unsettling effect on the digestive tract, so my response isn't well informed.

Okay, so it isn't an accepted cultural practice in Iraq...however, there must be sub cultures which do accept it or the issue wouldn't arise.

The sub cultures are not located in this area. This is something new for Iraqi women. And here, it is a group of men proclaiming this. It has not been "accepted" here before.

eta--I am hoping, as suggested in the link, it is a Hoax
theia

Post by theia »

AnneBoleyn;1460708 wrote: The sub cultures are not located in this area. This is something new for Iraqi women. And here, it is a group of men proclaiming this. It has not been "accepted" here before.

eta--I am hoping, as suggested in the link, it is a Hoax

Thank you, Anne...I really should have read the link before contributing.
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Hopefully, this is indeed a Hoax:

"Doubts grow over Isis 'FGM edict' in Iraq"

"Doubts are growing about the authenticity of an edict attributed to the Sunni Islamist group Isis controlling the Iraqi city of Mosul about female genital mutilation (FGM).................But media analysts say the decree seen on social media may be a fake.................

Some bloggers suggest that the alleged fatwa, which has been circulated on social media for about two days, may have been aimed at discrediting Isis."

BBC News - Doubts grow over Isis 'FGM edict' in Iraq
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

Maybe a hoax?

Doubts grow over Isis 'FGM edict' in Iraq

Doubts are growing about the authenticity of an edict attributed to the Sunni Islamist group Isis controlling the Iraqi city of Mosul about female genital mutilation (FGM).

A top UN official quoted from a statement saying that Isis wanted all females aged between 11 and 46 in the northern city to undergo the procedure.

Jacqueline Badcock said the decree was of grave concern.

But media analysts say the decree seen on social media may be a fake.

It has typos and language mistakes and is signed by "The Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant", a name the group no longer uses, instead referring to itself as the Islamic State.

Some bloggers suggest that the alleged fatwa, which has been circulated on social media for about two days, may have been aimed at discrediting

What happened to Kamala Harris' campaign?
She had the black vote all locked up.
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

I certainly hope it is a hoax. We posted the same link BTW.
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

AnneBoleyn;1460717 wrote: I certainly hope it is a hoax. We posted the same link BTW.

I couldn't help be notice.

I am not saying it is a hoax. It was your link which sent me looking.

But several experts have speculated that the fatwa may have been a hoax, and a number of journalists said on Twitter that their contacts in Iraq had not heard of it being issued.

We would have been closer in time except it took me a while to figure how to post the picture.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

It is a way of stoking up the anti muslim hatred and fear so the powers that be, Israel? USA? or any other interested party can get the funding/ public backing for what ever they have planned next.
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Bruv;1460720 wrote: It is a way of stoking up the anti muslim hatred and fear so the powers that be, Israel? USA? or any other interested party can get the funding/ public backing for what ever they have planned next.

Well, Bruv, time will soon tell if it is a hoax or not. ISIS doesn't need any help to stoke up hatred & fear, they are doing fine on their own.
Chloe_88

Post by Chloe_88 »

Hoax or not, female mutilation still happens all the time.

Most powerfull story to me ? Waris Dirie
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Chloe_88;1460742 wrote: Hoax or not, female mutilation still happens all the time.

Most powerfull story to me ? Waris Dirie

I had to look this up, then realized I knew the story already. She is so fantastically beautiful, in mind as well as body. She has a foundation in her name on Facebook. Thanks for bringing up her name Chloe.
Chloe_88

Post by Chloe_88 »

You're welcome Anne :)

and what you said is so true. Plus she is an inspiration to all women across the globe
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Chloe_88;1460745 wrote: You're welcome Anne :)

and what you said is so true. Plus she is an inspiration to all women across the globe

I agree. She didn't have to share this with the whole world, but knew that to help others, she Must.
Týr

Post by Týr »

With reference to the opening post, does anyone remember the Iraq Incubators story? Here it is at the Christian Science Monitor: When contemplating war, beware of babies in incubators - CSMonitor.com

I suggest that in any conflict zone where the US considers it has an interest, the filthy lies will invariably snatch news space from genuine discussion.

AnneBoleyn: My disgust knows no bounds.

C.S.Monitor: More than 10 years later, I can still recall my brother Sean's face. It was bright red. Furious. Not one given to fits of temper, Sean was in an uproar. He was a father, and he had just heard that Iraqi soldiers had taken scores of babies out of incubators in Kuwait City and left them to die. The Iraqis had shipped the incubators back to Baghdad. A pacifist by nature, my brother was not in a peaceful mood that day. "We've got to go and get Saddam Hussein. Now," he said passionately.

How you can bring yourself to believe such blatant twaddle I really don't know. I suspect it's because you simply want it to be true. I know people who even now think the Iraq Incubators story was true. They'd invested so much in believing the story that they can't face the prospect of accepting they were deliberately and cynically duped by a lie designed to swing public opinion.

The fact that you can see the story being discussed endlessly on television as though it were true doesn't make it true. Brand that notion into your forehead.

When will people finally accept responsibility for their own gullible weakness when it comes to stories like this.
Long Live General Kim Jong-un, the Shining Sun!
High Threshold

Post by High Threshold »

Oh Jesus! (pardon me Lord) Where were you bleeding hearts when the USSR fell apart and all of those Eastern European Jewish men were pressured (required?) to get circumcised prior to emigrating to Israel! Besides, All Jewish and Moslem men are expected to be circumcised as as matter of religious conviction. Any complaints about that? Furthermore, why don't you refer to male circumcision as "GENITAL MUTILATION OF ALL MEN"?
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

High Threshold;1460753 wrote: Furthermore, why don't you refer to male circumcision as "GENITAL MUTILATION OF ALL MEN"?
I do.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

High Threshold;1460753 wrote: Oh Jesus! (pardon me Lord) Where were you bleeding hearts when the USSR fell apart and all of those Eastern European Jewish men were pressured (required?) to get circumcised prior to emigrating to Israel! Besides, All Jewish and Moslem men are expected to be circumcised as as matter of religious conviction. Any complaints about that? Furthermore, why don't you refer to male circumcision as "GENITAL MUTILATION OF ALL MEN"?

Being "pressured" into something, and having to make a choice to get what you want, is hardly the same thing as being held down and having it done to you by force.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Týr

Post by Týr »

High Threshold;1460753 wrote: why don't you refer to male circumcision as "GENITAL MUTILATION OF ALL MEN"?
Various of us have on this site, quite frequently. We're against it.
High Threshold

Post by High Threshold »

LarsMac;1460755 wrote: Being "pressured" into something, and having to make a choice to get what you want, is hardly the same thing as being held down and having it done to you by force.

If it were that simple. You present a very wide gap. Let's work on that.

Note that I wrote: “ … Eastern European Jewish men were pressured (required?) to get circumcised prior to emigrating to Israel .. “

Convert Jews looking to emigrate to Israel, under the Zionist banner, must be Orthodox. That means CIRCUMCISION. Technically, Eastern European Jews aren't converts in the sense that you and understand it, but the Soviet Union gave little tolerance for religious expression so those Jews could hardly be considered practising or knowledgeable in much more than the most rudimentary Jewish customs. Indeed, even my Slovak wife, who is suppose to be Catholic, knows nothing about Christianity. Fast forward ---- the “choice”for Eastern European Jews was circumcision ... or forget about residing in Israel. A much smaller gap then you describe.

In any case, the situation with Eastern European Jews is merely one example. My gripe is with one-way sympathy. That is the main issue. Will you argue that male babies born to Jewish, Moslem, and even American Christian families are "given a choice"? I hope not.

..... and not to minimize your astute observation ....... but I wonder non-the-less if you think having the tip of your shotgun sawed off won't required for it to be "held down" in a vice "and having it done by force"?
High Threshold

Post by High Threshold »

FourPart;1460754 wrote: I do.

I am very pleased. :)
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

By definition.

Any male who is not circumcised, is not a Jew.

If you are an uncircumcised male and want the burden of being a Jew, I recommend looking up your nearest Mohel.

I would be negligent to not add an exception is made for health reasons.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

High Threshold;1460762 wrote: If it were that simple. You present a very wide gap. Let's work on that.

Note that I wrote: “ … Eastern European Jewish men were pressured (required?) to get circumcised prior to emigrating to Israel .. “

Convert Jews looking to emigrate to Israel, under the Zionist banner, must be Orthodox. That means CIRCUMCISION. Technically, Eastern European Jews aren't converts in the sense that you and understand it, but the Soviet Union gave little tolerance for religious expression so those Jews could hardly be considered practising or knowledgeable in much more than the most rudimentary Jewish customs. Indeed, even my Slovak wife, who is suppose to be Catholic, knows nothing about Christianity. Fast forward ---- the “choice”for Eastern European Jews was circumcision ... or forget about residing in Israel. A much smaller gap then you describe.

In any case, the situation with Eastern European Jews is merely one example. My gripe is with one-way sympathy. That is the main issue. Will you argue that male babies born to Jewish, Moslem, and even American Christian families are "given a choice"? I hope not.

..... and not to minimize your astute observation ....... but I wonder non-the-less if you think having the tip of your shotgun sawed off won't required for it to be "held down" in a vice "and having it done by force"?

I confess to a certain amount of ignorance to the whole circumcision thing.

But for a group of men to tell women that they must submit to such a barbaric tradition, or it will be done by force, is not the same as men telling other men that they must submit to it, to gain citizenship to certain country. That is entirely different.

The man can say, well, I will go somewhere else, then.

The woman has not been given a choice.

And as I understand, in both cases, it is men who will be performing the "service"

If that difference escapes you, then I don't think we have much else to discuss on the matter.
- DH Lawrence
Týr

Post by Týr »

LarsMac;1460768 wrote: for a group of men to tell women that they must submit to such a barbaric tradition, or it will be done by force

And you think that's what ISIS has done this month, do you?
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Týr;1460770 wrote: And you think that's what ISIS has done this month, do you?

I don't know what the ISIS has done this week. I am aware, though, of some regional behavior of that sort taking place in the past.

I know of no females, anywhere who demand female circumcision, for any reason.
- DH Lawrence
recovering conservative

Post by recovering conservative »

tude dog;1460767 wrote: By definition.

If you are an uncircumcised male and want the burden of being a Jew, I recommend looking up your nearest Mohel.
No thanks! Oh, wait...I am circumcized...phew! Good thing it happened in a hospital when I was an infant though, and not some scruffy old man biting off my foreskin!
recovering conservative

Post by recovering conservative »

Since the horrible stories about what ISIS is doing...which may not be verified let's not forget...comes with the implicit assumption that the U.S. and western allies are "fighting Islamofascism" or whatever they are calling Muslim extremists these days, we need a constant reminder that the conditions for women in countries like Afghanistan and Iraq are worse...much worse today than they were before U.S. intervention...largely because realpolitik dictates that women's rights and wellbeing is not a top five priority for U.S. officials!

And part of my daily reminder will now include this story courtesy from RT again - NSA partnering with Saudi regime ‒ Snowden leak

That's the whole drama of the past 30 years in a nutshell: while claiming to be fighting Islamic extremism, U.S. administrations have close financial, military and even intelligence relationships with the fountainhead of Salifism and Wahabbism - Saudi Arabia!
Chloe_88

Post by Chloe_88 »

Having any body part changed/sliced off/mutilated under pressure/force is wrong.

I feel female and male circumcision are being compared here.

But i'm very sorry, you cannot compare male circumcision to cutting off a womans clitoris, sometimes even the inner and outer labia and then stiched up with only a sometimes very small opening left.

I didn't read the article in the OP, hoax or real it doesn't really matter, female circumcision still happens all the time.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

I am not one of those blind patriots that you seem to detest.

I am painfully aware of many of my nations misdeeds, and less than honorable actions. (pretty much like every other gummint of the last several millennia)

But I am finding your continuous anti-everything-American rants a bit tiresome.
- DH Lawrence
Týr

Post by Týr »

LarsMac;1460772 wrote: I am aware, though, of some regional behavior of that sort taking place in the past.
I'm intrigued. Could you tell me where and when, so I can find out more detail?
Týr

Post by Týr »

Chloe_88;1460778 wrote: But i'm very sorry, you cannot compare male circumcision to cutting off a womans clitorisOn the other hand, you cannot say cutting off a woman's clitoris is the only, or even the most common, form of FGM.
High Threshold

Post by High Threshold »

tude dog;1460767 wrote: By definition.

I would be willing to bet an orthodox Jew might see it that way yes ...... but you know that isn't really true. I mean we're just 2 guys talking here and I am sure you are aware that there are "good" and "bad" in just about everything on this earth.

On the subject of conversions and what is acceptable for emigration to Israel ... and WHY, an orthodox rabbi told me this. "There is no purpose in converting a bad goy into a bad Jew." But look, there are lots of Jews in the world who don't keep kosher, don't observe the high holidays, etc. Still they were "born" Jewish so they are Jewish.

The other side of the coin is the guy who's never converted but lives his life as an orthodox Jew just the same. This is not so strange. Judaism isn't very interested in converting men, for reasons I'm sure I don't need to explain to you. So I guess we're at the point of this monologue where I have to ask, "What really makes a Jew Jewish?" No, you don't need to tell me what you mean when you say "by definition". I know that already.
High Threshold

Post by High Threshold »

LarsMac;1460768 wrote: I confess to a certain amount of ignorance to the whole circumcision thing.

But for a group of men to tell women that they must submit to such a barbaric tradition, or it will be done by force, is not the same as men telling other men that they must submit to it, to gain citizenship to certain country. That is entirely different.

The man can say, well, I will go somewhere else, then.

The woman has not been given a choice.

And as I understand, in both cases, it is men who will be performing the "service"

If that difference escapes you, then I don't think we have much else to discuss on the matter.

And the reason you left out the main part of my post is ....... ?

And NO, it is customary for women to perform female circumcision on girls.
Chloe_88

Post by Chloe_88 »

Týr;1460782 wrote: On the other hand, you cannot say cutting off a woman's clitoris is the only, or even the most common, form of FGM.

I didn't say it was the most common way. There are different types/ways it is done.

Does that even matter ?!

* After looking it up; type 1 & 2 are most common.
High Threshold

Post by High Threshold »

LarsMac;1460772 wrote: I know of no females, anywhere who demand female circumcision, for any reason.

Really? Africa is a large continent. Much of sub Saharan middle Africa practices both male and female circumcision. It is part or their rites of passage to becoming men and woman.
High Threshold

Post by High Threshold »

LarsMac;1460780 wrote: I am not one of those blind patriots that you seem to detest.

I am painfully aware of many of my nations misdeeds, and less than honorable actions. (pretty much like every other gummint of the last several millennia)

But I am finding your continuous anti-everything-American rants a bit tiresome.

Perhaps you ought to address this reply so that "he or she" will be aware that you are irked by "him or her". This way "he or she" will have the opporunity of making the nesessary change.
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

recovering conservative;1460775 wrote: No thanks! Oh, wait...I am circumcized...phew! Good thing it happened in a hospital when I was an infant though, and not some scruffy old man biting off my foreskin!

You don't get it. No reason it can't be done by a clean shaven doctor.
Týr

Post by Týr »

Chloe_88;1460785 wrote: * After looking it up; type 1 & 2 are most common.
Perhaps you'd like to describe what those designations actually mean.

My implication was that nobody in this thread has compared male circumcision to cutting off a woman's clitoris. We've compared it with other less cataclysmic ritual procedures which don't involve cutting off a woman's clitoris. If you jump to an extreme then you misrepresent what's been said here and make it harder to have a meaningful discussion.
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

If you think about it, Christians are technically Jewish. Christ was Jewish & was accordingly circumcised. By rights Christians are just Jews who follow the teachings of one particular Jew.

I am not opposed to anyone undergoing such mutilation when it be of their own choice, or (as in my own case) by medical necessity, but to force it upon an infant, or anyone who has no choice in the matter, be it because of personal choice for their progeny, culture or religion is simply barbaric & should be banned - as in Germany, Denmark & Sweden (at least, they did impose a ban - don't know if it's still in effect though).
Chloe_88

Post by Chloe_88 »

Týr;1460792 wrote: Perhaps you'd like to describe what those designations actually mean.

My implication was that nobody in this thread has compared male circumcision to cutting off a woman's clitoris. We've compared it with other less cataclysmic ritual procedures which don't involve cutting off a woman's clitoris. If you jump to an extreme then you misrepresent what's been said here and make it harder to have a meaningful discussion.

Like I said that is what I felt was being discussed. If it was not, then it was not.

Type 1 & 2 FGM: Female genital mutilation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Týr

Post by Týr »

FourPart;1460793 wrote: If you think about it, Christians are technically Jewish. Christ was Jewish & was accordingly circumcised. By rights Christians are just Jews who follow the teachings of one particular Jew.

Balderdash. What possible accepted definition of Jew do you think you're using.
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

High Threshold;1460783 wrote: I would be willing to bet an orthodox Jew might see it that way yes ...... but you know that isn't really true. I mean we're just 2 guys talking here and I am sure you are aware that there are "good" and "bad" in just about everything on this earth.

On the subject of conversions and what is acceptable for emigration to Israel ... and WHY, an orthodox rabbi told me this. "There is no purpose in converting a bad goy into a bad Jew." But look, there are lots of Jews in the world who don't keep kosher, don't observe the high holidays, etc. Still they were "born" Jewish so they are Jewish.

The other side of the coin is the guy who's never converted but lives his life as an orthodox Jew just the same. This is not so strange. Judaism isn't very interested in converting men, for reasons I'm sure I don't need to explain to you. So I guess we're at the point of this monologue where I have to ask, "What really makes a Jew Jewish?" No, you don't need to tell me what you mean when you say "by definition". I know that already.

I thought I was clear.

A male who is not circumcised, is not a Jew.

You can bring up other issues, not related to the fact I stated, have fun.
Týr

Post by Týr »

Chloe_88;1460794 wrote: Like I said that is what I felt was being discussed. If it was not, then it was not.

What you actually wrote was I feel female and male circumcision are being compared here. But i'm very sorry, you cannot compare male circumcision to cutting off a womans clitoris.

You were quite right that female and male circumcision have been compared in this thread but there's not the slightest reason for your immediate jump to "cutting off a woman's clitoris", when this is such a comparatively infrequent mutilation. You are trying to say that cutting off a woman's clitoris is the meaning of FGM and it's very important to say that you're wrong, it's not.
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

tude dog;1460796 wrote: I thought I was clear.

A male who is not circumcised, is not a Jew.

You can bring up other issues, not related to the fact I stated, have fun.
If all Jews were circumcised that might be the case, but if there are different sects of Jews (which I admit I was not aware of) that do not follow the rite of circumcision, then the clause becomes false.
Chloe_88

Post by Chloe_88 »

Týr;1460798 wrote: What you actually wrote was I feel female and male circumcision are being compared here. But i'm very sorry, you cannot compare male circumcision to cutting off a womans clitoris.

You were quite right that female and male circumcision have been compared in this thread but there's not the slightest reason for your immediate jump to "cutting off a woman's clitoris", when this is such a comparatively infrequent mutilation. You are trying to say that cutting off a woman's clitoris is the meaning of FGM and it's very important to say that you're wrong, it's not.

You can say what you like, that is what I FELT was being discussed. Type 1 and 2 female circumcision are most common, and I felt that was being compared to a male circumcision.

Return to “Current Events”