----

Local Date
    10-19-2017
    Local Time
    12:05 PM
    Gifts Cocktail Car Beer

Iron Ring sculpture planned for Welsh castle

Oh dear.

More than 5,000 people sign petition opposing Iron Ring sculpture planned for Welsh castle - Wales Online

Mind you in scotland a labour council is trying to build a housing estate on the site of the battle of banbnockburn. Depends on the size of the bribe whether it goes ahead i suppose.

superstar
    is returning

I am:
    Awesome

Local Date
    10-19-2017
    Local Time
    05:05 AM
    Gifts Beer

Re: Iron Ring sculpture planned for Welsh castle

we have a giant blue ring on the north side of our city as you enter along the QE Highway.... disgusting waste of money, and it has a pair of antenna like lights on the top and it looks like a preschoolers version of a teletubby head.
    �You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�
    ― Mae West

This user has no status.

I am:
    Crazy

Local Date
    10-19-2017
    Local Time
    03:05 AM

What annoys me is they waste so much money on this stuff and the towns themselves are going to hell , hospitals and doctors surgeries and understaffed and waiting times to see docs can be up to 2 weeks

About 8 years back 400,000 pound was spend on one of these circle sculptures we are in debt up to our neck and we waste money on unnessesery stuff all the time , billions on a train track that isn't needed just to save half hr on a journey I'll stop before I rant on and on , make s me mad

gmc
    Currently Offline
    This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    10-19-2017
    Local Time
    Gifts Cocktail Car Beer

Quote Originally Posted by travelingjack View Post
    What annoys me is they waste so much money on this stuff and the towns themselves are going to hell , hospitals and doctors surgeries and understaffed and waiting times to see docs can be up to 2 weeks

About 8 years back 400,000 pound was spend on one of these circle sculptures we are in debt up to our neck and we waste money on unnessesery stuff all the time , billions on a train track that isn't needed just to save half hr on a journey I'll stop before I rant on and on , make s me mad
    Especially when there are large swathes of the country that don't yet have broadband. Why do you need high speed rail links when you can video conference saving time and money.

Along the M8 they have a number oif sculptures OK in themselves but one is a horn

Commissioned by West Lothian Council and designed by Dundee artists Matthew Dalziel and Louise Scullion, The Horn broadcasts music, poetry and famous quotes at traffic on the west-bound carriageway in windy weather.
    The likelihood of anyone hearing in in a passing car is not something anyone thought to point out all it does is annoy local residents.

You both missed the point abouit erecting a sculpture in wales to celebrate the man who conquered it.

Supporting Member
    is risen

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    10-19-2017
    Local Time
    Gifts Heart Car Beer Beer Burger Cake Ban Hammer Beer

What a scandalous abusive sculpture that is, given its setting. I find it disgusting.

https://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitio...nned-iron-ring

There's the petition.
    Nullius in verba|||||||||||
    Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!

The watch of your vision has become reasonable today.

It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.
    Write that word in the blood

This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    10-19-2017
    Local Time
    Gifts Beer Beer

I've mixed feelings about the proposed Iron Ring sculpture:

On the one hand I can understand why the North Welsh might be upset about it celebrating their conquest, if that's what they decide it means. Why not have a statue of Owain Glyndwr standing defiant? Or something more general symbolising Welsh resistance down the centuries if that's what they want?

On the other hand I rather like public art of this sort in principle. I'm open to correction here, but I have the impression that The Angel of the North is widely liked and approved of.

Are people against any sculpture or art, or just this example?

The idea of building a housing estate on the site of the Battle of Bannockburn strikes me as sacrilegeous and I'm English! The historian in me is horrified at the idea.
    Last edited by Clodhopper; 07-26-2017 at 04:05 AM. Reason: removing an error
    The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"
    Lone voice: "I'm not."

This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    10-19-2017
    Local Time
    Gifts Beer Cake

I've always been opposed to the obscene amounts that are ploughed into arty-farty projects while there are still people starving, living homeless on the streets. More often than not they are merely a money maker for the so-called 'artist', who usually has no actual artistic talent apart from in the art of convincing others that he / she some artistic genius who only the higher intellects will appreciate (aka Emperor's New Clothes syndrome). As for being a symbol of oppression - what about the Glass Half Empty / Glass Half Full argument? Perhaps there was oppression in the past. There was oppression everywhere. We have oppression now, under Theresa May. It is / will be history. Every living moment is history. You will probably find that wherever you go in the country you will hard pressed to find a single patch of land that has no historical significance of some kind or another. Lines have to be drawn otherwise there will be no land left for anyone to live in.

Supporting Member
    is risen

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    10-19-2017
    Local Time
    Gifts Heart Car Beer Beer Burger Cake Ban Hammer Beer

Quote Originally Posted by Clodhopper View Post
    I have the impression that The Angel of the North is widely liked and approved of.

Are people against any sculpture or art, or just this example?
    The Angel of the North did not slaughter all the first-born of Northumbria, unlike Edward Longshanks around Conwy. Try erecting a statue of the Angel of the Lord in Tahrir Square and see how long it stays standing.
    Nullius in verba|||||||||||
    Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!

The watch of your vision has become reasonable today.

It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.
    Write that word in the blood

gmc
    Currently Offline
    This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    10-19-2017
    Local Time
    Gifts Cocktail Car Beer

Maybe they should build a sculpture like that at berwick on tweed maybe an iron hammer to celebrate edwards nickname and an iron arrow at hastings to celbrate the french invasion get nigel farage to inaugurate it.

This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    10-19-2017
    Local Time
    Gifts Beer Beer

Register to remove this ad.
    Quote Originally Posted by spot View Post
    The Angel of the North did not slaughter all the first-born of Northumbria, unlike Edward Longshanks around Conwy. Try erecting a statue of the Angel of the Lord in Tahrir Square and see how long it stays standing.
    Crikey...

This was what? 700 years ago?

Should we be still blaming the Romans now for the murder and rape of the Iceni? The Normans for the Harrowing of the North? People back then were brutal by modern western standards. You can stand there nobly wrapped in the symbols of martyrdom by proxy if it makes you feel good but it doesn't impress from this distance.

The positive reaction to the slaughters mentioned, or more recently the atrocities of the 2nd WW or the Balkans War(s) is to create and maintain an international organisation whose main purpose is the prevention of conflicts between the peoples who produced the atrocities committed across Europe throughout history: the EU. Which we are leaving.

edit: And if you want a good symbol to have there, have an anti-war work of art of some sort. Something speaking of the universal values we aspire to but so rarely achieve: Peace, love, justice, mercy, in opposition to massacre and horror. Art can do that. And if it's something children can play on, so much the better.

chuckle. It's also an initiative of the Welsh Government. This is beginning to feel more like a Gwynedd/Dyfed fight...certainly as an Englishman I've no right to interfere in an internal Welsh matter. Up to you to sort out. (cue statue of clenched fist with extended middle digit 30m high at the West end of the Severn Bridge, gesturing East...)

edit edit: I love devolution.
    The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"
    Lone voice: "I'm not."

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast