I am:
    ----

Local Date
    12-17-2017
    Local Time
    06:06 AM

Re: Fill the grid

Here is the solution to the puzzle of 9-16-2017

Now, for the next puzzle. Here it is. The rules are the same.
    1) Using only words from the Scrabble Official English International word list, fill in the rest of the puzzle.
    2) Words must be spelled left to right and top to bottom
    3) Words can only be used once

There is only 1 solution!
    You can always check your words with the Collins Scrabble Word Finder at https://www.collinsdictionary.com/sc...e-word-finder/

Good luck. I will post the answer to this one tomorrow.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fill the grid-9-16-2017-solution.jpg   Fill the grid-9-17-2017.jpg  

Supporting Member
    is risen

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    12-17-2017
    Local Time
    10:06 AM
    Gifts Heart Car Beer Beer Burger Cake Ban Hammer Beer

I shall be interested to discover what four-letter English word starts EH, I can think of none.
    Nullius in verba|||||||||||
    Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!

The watch of your vision has become reasonable today.

It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.
    Write that word in the blood

This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    12-17-2017
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by spot View Post
    I shall be interested to discover what four-letter English word starts EH, I can think of none.
    Hello Spot. How about "EHED" ? Check it on the Collins Dictionary Scrabble Word Finder at https://www.collinsdictionary.com/sc...e-word-finder/

Good luck with the rest of the puzzle.

Supporting Member
    is risen

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    12-17-2017
    Local Time

I think my point is that I have never encountered the word EHED, never used it and never known its meaning. That precludes me from entering it into your grid. Others may, of course, find it part of their regular vocabulary.

Presumably you're using EHED as a past tense of a putative verb to EH, meaning to say the word EH as a blank neighing sound when stuck for a coherent response.

I eh, you eh, he she or it ehs, we eh, you eh, they eh?

That is not English in a reasonable form.

I ehed, you ehed, he she or it ehed, we ehed, you ehed, they ehed? General Melchett ehed his way through the whole of Blackadder Goes Forth? Google can find not one single instance [1] of ehed other than as a forename or as a word in foreign, not in the entire legion of pages at its disposal. Sir Walter Scott came closest in Chapter 1 of Redgauntlet where he says "The Justice looked to the Clerk - the Clerk to the Justice; the former ha'd, eh'd, without bringing forth an articulate syllable" and even he, notorious for inventing Scots dialect out of thin air, couldn't bring himself to have EHED set in print.

Thank you but no, and I speak as one to whom Ecky thump comes natural having been raised a promiscuous Lancastrian.

[1]: Other than, now, this one.

It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.

This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    12-17-2017
    Local Time

I think my point is that I have never encountered the word EHED, never used it and never known its meaning. That precludes me from entering it into your grid. Others may, of course, find it part of their regular vocabulary.

Presumably you're using EHED as a past tense of a putative verb to EH, meaning to say the word EH as a blank neighing sound when stuck for a coherent response.

I eh, you eh, he she or it ehs, we eh, you eh, they eh?

That is not English in a reasonable form.

I ehed, you ehed, he she or it ehed, we ehed, you ehed, they ehed? General Melchett ehed his way through the whole of Blackadder Goes Forth? Google can find not one single instance [1] of ehed other than as a forename or as a word in foreign, not in the entire legion of pages at its disposal. Sir Walter Scott came closest in Chapter 1 of Redgauntlet where he says "The Justice looked to the Clerk - the Clerk to the Justice; the former ha'd, eh'd, without bringing forth an articulate syllable" and even he, notorious for inventing Scots dialect out of thin air, couldn't bring himself to have EHED set in print.

Thank you but no, and I speak as one to whom Ecky thump comes natural having been raised a promiscuous Lancastrian.

[1]: Other than, now, this one.
    I get your point. I never would think of using "EHED" in a sentence and that word would never come to my mind. However, "EHED" is a legal Scrabble word and as such can be used as part of the puzzle solution in the same way that you could use it in a Scrabble game.
    Good luck with the rest of the puzzle.

Supporting Member
    is risen

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    12-17-2017
    Local Time

The utility of the word is not in question - it has no utility whatever, we agree on that.

Where we differ is whether dictionary-searching for words is a legitimate game ploy. I'd disavow it for crossword solving, I'd do the same for Scrabble. Having a word and checking to see if it's a legal Scrabble offering is fine, I have no problem whatever with that, but using a word I've never met in my life is not a personal option and putting a succession of possible letter combinations into the Scrabble checker falls into that category.

A setter may well have a far wider vocabulary than I, but if she puts words into a grid which she finds by dictionary-searching rather than from her innate word hoard then I feel the puzzle has a distressingly artificial feel.

is yep.........Me too

I am:
    Awesome

Local Date
    12-17-2017
    Local Time
    09:06 PM

I only use the. 'Macquarie' dictionary....... i use use "Oi" not "Eh"

Supporting Member
    is risen

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    12-17-2017
    Local Time

"Oi" in Britain carries heavy overtones - far right Fascist intolerance of all minorities especially if they were born foreign, shaved heads, no wimin allowed, fist fights for fun and practice and far too much drug abuse.

This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    12-17-2017
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Henrick View Post
    Here is the solution to the puzzle of 9-16-2017

Now, for the next puzzle. Here it is. The rules are the same.
    1) Using only words from the Scrabble Official English International word list, fill in the rest of the puzzle.
    2) Words must be spelled left to right and top to bottom
    3) Words can only be used once

There is only 1 solution!
    You can always check your words with the Collins Scrabble Word Finder at https://www.collinsdictionary.com/sc...e-word-finder/

Good luck. I will post the answer to this one tomorrow.
    And here is the solution to the 9-17-2017 puzzle.

Now, I haven't had too many people look at the puzzle. Perhaps my previous puzzles were not challenging enough. So, to get things more exciting, here is a more difficult puzzle. I doubt anyone will solve it.

Same rules as before.
    There is only 1 solution.
    I will post the answer tomorrow (9-19-2017).

Have fun!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fill the grid-9-17-2017-solution.jpg   Fill the grid-9-18-2017.jpg  

is yep.........Me too

I am:
    Awesome

Local Date
    12-17-2017
    Local Time
    09:06 PM

Register to remove this ad.
    "Oi" in Britain carries heavy overtones - far right Fascist intolerance of all minorities especially if they were born foreign, shaved heads, no wimin allowed, fist fights for fun and practice and far too much drug abuse.
    Sounds like a voluntary thinning of the gene pool.

So the australian chant of "aussie aussie aussie, Oi Oi Oi".... is a far right chant? At the cricket? Rugby? Olympic games?

I KNEW it!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast