Happy

Local Date
    12-17-2017
    Local Time
    10:05 AM
    Gifts Balloons Car Gift Naughty Mag Certificate Beer Beer

Re: Fill the grid

Quote Originally Posted by magentaflame View Post
    Sounds like a voluntary thinning of the gene pool.

So the australian chant of "aussie aussie aussie, Oi Oi Oi".... is a far right chant? At the cricket? Rugby? Olympic games?

I KNEW it!
    Oi, you pinched that!

It's from Max Boyce and should be :-

Oggy Oggy Oggy - Oi Oi Oi

Supporting Member
    is risen

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    12-17-2017
    Local Time
    Gifts Heart Car Beer Beer Burger Cake Ban Hammer Beer

Quote Originally Posted by Henrick View Post
    Perhaps my previous puzzles were not challenging enough. So, to get things more exciting, here is a more difficult puzzle. I doubt anyone will solve it.
    May I put two direct questions to you?
    1. Have "only words previously known to the setter" been used exclusively on the grid, or did the grid require the occasional use of a computer-aided process to discover arbitrary letter combinations which tested valid as Scrabble words?

2. Is it your personal expectation that successfully solving this puzzle will involve entering only words previously known to the competitor? Or are you expecting that competitors will on occasion be obliged to test letter combinations to find a previously unknown word which passes muster.
    I'm trying to find out what process you think finding a likely solution will involve. My experience with Scrabble at any level is that bringing an artificial word-selection aid to the playing table would ruffle feathers, and I'm wondering how much this grid-based game differs in that regard.

When a solution includes the words ABAC and OSAR, for instance, I begin to doubt the setter has worked entirely within her own competence.
    Nullius in verba|||||||||||
    Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!

The watch of your vision has become reasonable today.

It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.
    Write that word in the blood

superstar
    is returning

I am:
    Awesome

Local Date
    12-17-2017
    Local Time
    03:05 AM
    Gifts Beer

Canadians use Eh all the time.
    as a matter of fact I ehed, a couple times yesterday lol
    �You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�
    ― Mae West

Supporting Member
    is risen

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    12-17-2017
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by minks View Post
    as a matter of fact I ehed, a couple times yesterday lol
    You're now the second person on the interweb ever to have said so, minksy. Both times in the same thread, eh?

It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.

is yep.........Me too

I am:
    Awesome

Local Date
    12-17-2017
    Local Time
    09:05 PM

Wouldnt it be spelt "eh'd"

And what the heck is an. "Oggy"?

Supporting Member
    is risen

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    12-17-2017
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by magentaflame View Post
    And what the heck is an. "Oggy"?
    Something which, were it made with more appropriate ingredients in Cornwall instead of Wales, would be called a Pasty.

This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    12-17-2017
    Local Time
    Gifts Beer Cake

Quote Originally Posted by spot View Post
    Something which, were it made with more appropriate ingredients in Cornwall instead of Wales, would be called a Pasty.
    That's a Tiddy-Oggy, though (and the real ones are to die for).

I've found that with Words With Friends, the way to win is not to put words you know, but to make up combinations of letters that might compile something remotely pronouncable using the right sort of combination of vowels & consonents. Some of the words / letter combinations are so bizarre that you would never believe them to be words, but they are acceptable to the inbuilt words list. Now, it appears, Words With Friends have just updated their words list as well, adding more acceptable words still.

Supporting Member
    is risen

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    12-17-2017
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by FourPart View Post
    but they are acceptable to the inbuilt words list.
    This underlies the problem here, perhaps. The lack of a visible words list. I have no idea which list the Collins online checker is using for this thread, I've never heard of Words With Friends either - can that be played without access to electronic hardware?

As regards Scrabble, there are different exclusive license holders in different parts of the world. Each license holder maintains its own word list and makes what appear to be annual changes to their list's content. The lists, naturally enough, differ.

I note that FIQH is legal on some Collins lists and not on others, and we appear to be playing to a Collins list in this thread, and FIQH is one of the answers in the current puzzle. The list I'm currently working from for verification is headed "Collins Scrabble Words (2015) 276,643 words: words only" and includes the FIQH update. Scrabble dictionary changes: The controversy over changes to the game's word list. expands on this background. I strongly suspect that all available current online Scrabble word lists are copyright and that I shouldn't have one without being charged for it, if then. Collins seems at first glance not to sell theirs.

For convenience I'll drop the bash script I wrote to go with the list:

Code:
    > cat /usr/local/bin/scrabble
    #!/bin/bash
    # start of scrabble script
    case "$1" in
    "") echo "extract fixed length Scrabble words using Collins Scrabble Words (2015) 276,643 words: words only [hand edited to UNIX-terminated lowercase]. Usage: ${0##*/} <wordlength>"; exit 1;;
    esac
    expression="^[[:alpha:]]{$1}$"
    #
    # the expression consists of:
    # start of line mark
    # only alpha characters allowed
    # for a length of command-line-parameter characters (nb. '4,6', for example, selects all words of length 4 or 5 or 6)
    # end of line mark
    #
    #
    grep -E "$expression" /usr/local/bin/collins.txt
    # end of scrabble script
    and the words it found for the current grid when I ran it:

Code:
    > scrabble 4 | grep '.q..'
    aqua
    > scrabble 4 | grep 'osa.'
    osar
    > scrabble 4 | grep '..q.'
    fiqh
    suqs
    waqf
    > scrabble 4 | grep '.f.o'
    afro
    > scrabble 4 | grep '.s.o'
    > scrabble 4 | grep '.w.o'
    > scrabble 4 | grep 'r.u[aeiou]'
    roue
    > scrabble 4 | grep '.her'
    cher
    > scrabble 4 | grep 'a.ac'
    abac

This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    12-17-2017
    Local Time
    06:05 AM

Solution to 9-17-2017 puzzle

And since the weekend is coming, I also post a more difficult puzzle. Take the weekend to solve it.
    Same rules as before and, again, there is only 1 solution!
    Good Luck !
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fill the grid-9-17-2017-solution.jpg   Fill the grid-9-21-2017.jpg  

This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    12-17-2017
    Local Time
    Gifts Beer Cake

Register to remove this ad.
    Quote Originally Posted by spot View Post
    This underlies the problem here, perhaps. The lack of a visible words list. I have no idea which list the Collins online checker is using for this thread, I've never heard of Words With Friends either - can that be played without access to electronic hardware?
    Words With Friends is primarily FaceBook based, although you can also download an App separately. It's basically a tackier version of scrabble, with silly "Badges" & "Challenges" (which you can totally disregard, as I do). Essentially you can challenge someone on your Friends list for a game, or you can opt to have the App select a list of potential opponents at random, giving you a brief summary of what their typical manner of play is (eg Defensive, Plays for High Scores, Plays At Your Level, etc). There are no time limits & has a messaging section built in so you can chat with your opponent. You can also have multiple games running at once. Although it's part of the FaceBook Gamesroom, it's nothing like the usual cack you get in there. It's as challengin as the opponents you select. You might like to try it sometime.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast