This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    10-21-2017
    Local Time
    04:24 AM

Fill the grid

Using the Official International English Scrabble word list, fill in the rest of this partially seeded grid. There is only 1 solution!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fill the grid-puzzle-9-16-2017.jpg  

Supporting Member
    is risen

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    10-21-2017
    Local Time
    09:24 AM
    Gifts Heart Car Beer Beer Burger Cake Ban Hammer Beer

Re: Fill the grid

I'm not convinced a solution exists.

The right-hand answer has to be AQUA, I can think of no other English word that can fit. It's a peculiar shade of blue.

Which gives no words at all at the bottom that are allowed in Scrabble. No proper nouns are allowed which eliminates GAZA, GIZA and LIZA.
    Nullius in verba|||||||||||
    Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!

The watch of your vision has become reasonable today.

It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.
    Write that word in the blood

This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    10-21-2017
    Local Time
    Gifts Beer Cake

S O F A
    P.......Q
    A.......U
    R A Z A

Bottom can also be RHEA, so there are at least 2 solutions.

Supporting Member
    is risen

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    10-21-2017
    Local Time

The Z was supplied so there's no RHEA.

RAZA isn't a legitimate Scrabble word, I suggest you use https://www.collinsdictionary.com/sc...e-word-finder/ as a checker or suggest an alternative online Scrabble resource. The OED says it's Spanish: Origin: A borrowing from Spanish. Etymon: Spanish raza.

It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.

This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    10-21-2017
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by spot View Post
    I'm not convinced a solution exists.

The right-hand answer has to be AQUA, I can think of no other English word that can fit. It's a peculiar shade of blue.

Which gives no words at all at the bottom that are allowed in Scrabble. No proper nouns are allowed which eliminates GAZA, GIZA and LIZA.
    You are correct about "AQUA". It is the only 4-letter word with a 'Q' as the 2nd letter. However, there is only 1 solution. I will give it tomorrow! Again though, you can check if a word is valid by going to https://www.anagrammer.com/ There, you can type in the word you are checking. Remember, we are using the Collins Scrabble words, which is more comprehensive than just the US/Canada Scrabble words or the OSPD4 or OSPD5 word lists. And you are also correct when asserting that GAZA, GIZA and LIZA are not acceptable words.
    So, good luck. Continue looking and have fun. I will provide the answer tomorrow along with another such puzzle.

This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    10-21-2017
    Local Time

RAZA is not an legitimate CSW 15 word. Verify this for yourself by searching for it at https://www.anagrammer.com/ However, you are close. Good job!

This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    10-21-2017
    Local Time

Good comments Spot! You are correct on all points.

Supporting Member
    is risen

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    10-21-2017
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Henrick View Post
    Again though, you can check if a word is valid by going to https://www.anagrammer.com/
    There's a difference between checking a word for validity and looking up a word based on partial information. If I've never heard of a riza then I'm not going to put the word into play while gaming, I'd agree with Stephen Potter on a point like that. Bad form, definitely. What you'd need is to have been exposed to iconolatry before fishing riza out of your head on demand.

The OED says it's Russian: Origin: A borrowing from Russian. Etymon: Russian riza. I have no idea how that's distinguishable from the objection to raza given earlier.

This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    10-21-2017
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by spot View Post
    The Z was supplied so there's no RHEA.

RAZA isn't a legitimate Scrabble word, I suggest you use https://www.collinsdictionary.com/sc...e-word-finder/ as a checker or suggest an alternative online Scrabble resource. The OED says it's Spanish: Origin: A borrowing from Spanish. Etymon: Spanish raza.
    Thank you for the suggestion Spot about using the Collins Dictionary Scrabble word finder. It was silly of me not to provide that link since the official word list for the puzzle IS the CSW 15 which is licensed by Harper-Collins.

And now, I am going to go back to the original post to provide the answer to the puzzle. Please bear with me on this as I am still learning to navigate my way through this forum.

This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    10-21-2017
    Local Time

Register to remove this ad.
    Hello to all who have looked at the word puzzle for 9-16-2017. As promised, here is the solution:

S O F A
    P Q
    A U
    R I Z A

As mentioned by user Spot, "AQUA" must be the word on the right since it is the only 4-letter word with a 'Q' as the second letter.
    There are a number of words that can go into the other words, BUT, the only combination that will work is the one shown in the solution.

I hope you had fun.

Ok, I've attached the next puzzle.
    In case the attachment doesn't show (I am still learning how to post to this forum), here is what the puzzle looks like:
    _ _ _ Q
    _
    _ _ _ _ W
    U
    _ H _ _

By the way, does anyone know how to paste an image into a post, rather than attaching it? It would make things easier for me.

The rules are the same.
    Given the puzzle shown along with the few seed letters, fill in the rest of the puzzle.
    There is ONLY 1 solution.
    All the words you use must come from the Harper-Collins Official English International Scrabble word list, also known as the CSW 15.
    Words must read left to right and top to bottom.
    Words cannot be used more than once.
    You can always check the validity of your words via the Scrabble Word Finder located at:
    https://www.collinsdictionary.com/sc...e-word-finder/

I wiil post the answer to this puzzle tomorrow (9-18-2017). As advanced notice, be aware that the puzzles can become rather difficult and are not for the faint of heart. Remember, there is always only 1 solution.
    Have fun.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast