I am:
    ----

Local Date
    10-20-2018
    Local Time
    12:52 AM
    Gifts Cocktail Car Beer

Re: Louisiana Privatizing Education

Keep this up and in ten years or so america will be a third world country.

is a Natualized Texan

I am:
    Awesome

Local Date
    10-19-2018
    Local Time
    06:52 PM
    Gifts Certificate Beer

People believe that kind of hyperbole without thinking, certainly without investigating its veracity. That's evident in several posts in this thread.

is just wandrin

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    10-19-2018
    Local Time
    04:52 PM
    Gifts Balloons Cake Gift

I have a relative who teaches at a religious school. She teaches her kids that dinosaurs couldn't possibly existed because they are not mentioned in the Bible. The dinosaur fossils that are on display in museums are an elaborate hoax by satanists/humanists to lead people away from the truth, she teaches. The earth is 6,000 years old and carbon dating evidence that proves otherwise is part of a conspiracy. Evolution is also a conspiracy, as is global climate change. Noah sailed to every continent and put two of every species into his ark and anyone who questions his ability to fit them all in a boat of the time is evil. Did you know that God constantly creates oil underground for man's use?

I doubt that graduates of such a school system could gain admittance to a good college without a lot of remedial work.

If Louisiana is saying that an education in a school such as this is equal to a good education and that the taxpayers should pay for such indoctrination, then I don't see this as a good thing.

This user has no status.

I am:
    Cool

Local Date
    10-19-2018
    Local Time
    07:52 PM
    Gifts Kitten

Quote Originally Posted by Accountable View Post
    Savings is the primary concern, but they're not going to get it. However, if this experiment shows another state that one or two pieces can be used to improve their system, then some good is accomplished. LA is at or near the bottom in terms of education in America already, so any improvement would be welcome. They are making changes to try this; they can likewise make changes when they find flaws. The haters in this thread won't see that but it doesn't make it less true.
    Surely we've learned one or two things about education over the years. One such lesson would be that we know the religious have been trying to get more of a footing in the system which this affords them. We know that it's best to teach fact instead of religious myth as science and when those officials of religious institutions make statements suggesting religious creationism will usurp recognized science, that's a problem that's already been established.

I don't have a problem trying different methods of teaching, however, what's happening in Louisiana is not that. It's not worth sacrificing a generation of people's education when we already know the outcome even if it is only one state's generation, and even though it's Louisiana.
    “Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”
    Voltaire

is a Natualized Texan

I am:
    Awesome

Local Date
    10-19-2018
    Local Time
    Gifts Certificate Beer

Such phobia about religion. Any mention of anything religious and the banshees come out of the woodwork.
    How do you guys sleep at night knowing there's a religious nut out there that might kill you in ritual sacrifice??

*****ing bigots.

is just wandrin

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    10-19-2018
    Local Time
    Gifts Balloons Cake Gift

Such phobia about religion. Any mention of anything religious and the banshees come out of the woodwork.
    How do you guys sleep at night knowing there's a religious nut out there that might kill you in ritual sacrifice??

*****ing bigots.
    I was relating what a relative of mine teaches her kids in one specific school, not condemning religion. Parents have a right to see that their children are educated in any way that they choose, but don't tell me that a child who is taught that science is a lie and part of a conspiracy are getting a quality education to prepare them for Harvard or Stanford.

There is another aspect of for-profit schools that I find troubling. There is ample data available for the recent influx of for-profit colleges to compare the quality of the education and the cost.

Demographics Do Not Explain For-Profits' Shortcomings on Student-Success Measures, GAO Says - Government - The Chronicle of Higher Education

http://big.assets.huffingtonpost.com/forprofitpaper.pdf

FRONTLINE: college, inc. | PBS

Educating Sergeant Pantzke - Video | FRONTLINE | PBS

is a Natualized Texan

I am:
    Awesome

Local Date
    10-19-2018
    Local Time
    Gifts Certificate Beer

Quote Originally Posted by Wandrin View Post
    So, religious anti-science and anti-fact indoctrination will be substituted for actual education? How many years of remedial education will be required if a student actually wants to attend a good college? Will this also spawn special religious colleges that have the same lowered standards? Is the attempt to make a high school diploma or college degree worthless?
    Quote Originally Posted by Wandrin View Post
    I was relating what a relative of mine teaches her kids in one specific school, not condemning religion.
    Since you're so fond of throwing bombs, you ought to pay attentions of what bombs you throw.

is just wandrin

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    10-19-2018
    Local Time
    Gifts Balloons Cake Gift

Since you're so fond of throwing bombs, you ought to pay attentions of what bombs you throw.
    I'm not sure that I understand, since it was certainly not my intent to "throw bombs".

Supporting Member
    is risen

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    10-20-2018
    Local Time
    Gifts Heart Car Beer Beer Burger Cake Ban Hammer Beer

If Louisiana's idea results in higher standardized test scores
    Out of interest, how long does the experiment need to run uninterrupted by other variables before the result - better or worse scores attributable to privatizing - can be considered significant? Ten years? Fifteen? Twenty?
    Nullius in verba|||||||||||
    Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!

The watch of your vision has become reasonable today.

It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.
    Write that word in the blood

gmc
    Currently Offline
    This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    10-20-2018
    Local Time
    Gifts Cocktail Car Beer

Register to remove this ad.

*****ing bigots.
    With good reason. Religion tears apart communities and can destroy whole countries. When you preach your faith is the only true one and all else are going to hell there is only ever going to be one outcome if they become too powerful at it's worst it leads to open warfare. Just ask anyone living in kosovo or lebanon, iran, pakistan, northern ireland, iran who isn't religious who they blame for the misery. Will these schools allow mixed race classes? How will they teat anyone who doesn't fit the social norms or who rejects the religion will they be expelled? Maybe not to begin with but just give it a few years - after all if they are private institutions they can do what they like never mind who is paying for them.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast