Happy

Local Date
    10-20-2018
    Local Time
    12:46 AM
    Gifts Heart Car Beer Beer Burger Cake Ban Hammer Beer

Re: Louisiana Privatizing Education

Quote Originally Posted by Accountable View Post
    Such phobia about religion. Any mention of anything religious and the banshees come out of the woodwork.
    I'm not sure that's a fair observation. Religion's just one instance of a whole range of topics where one can distinguish between "this works for me" - which is "good practice" on the part of the speaker - and "what you do is wrong" - which is "bad practice" on the part of the speaker. Wiping out bad practice is hygienic.

You describe pointing out bad practice as bigotry, it's anything but. Pointing it out is a reaction, not an attack. The error is on the part of the person or group claiming that "what you do is wrong" especially when they then take steps to change others as their notion of remedial action. I'm sure you get my drift, it applies to religious fundamentalists just as much as to your Washington government. Sometimes the two seem difficult to distinguish.
    Nullius in verba|||||||||||
    Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!

The watch of your vision has become reasonable today.

It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.
    Write that word in the blood

gmc
    Currently Offline
    This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    10-20-2018
    Local Time
    Gifts Cocktail Car Beer

People believe that kind of hyperbole without thinking, certainly without investigating its veracity. That's evident in several posts in this thread.
    Many people accept religion without thinking - indeed suspending reason is essential to be religious.

Such phobia about religion. Any mention of anything religious and the banshees come out of the woodwork.
    How do you guys sleep at night knowing there's a religious nut out there that might kill you in ritual sacrifice??

*****ing bigots.
    You mean like al qaeda?

is a Natualized Texan

I am:
    Awesome

Local Date
    10-19-2018
    Local Time
    06:46 PM
    Gifts Certificate Beer

Quote Originally Posted by gmc View Post
    Many people accept religion without thinking - indeed suspending reason is essential to be religious.
    Many people also condemn without thinking entire communities, institutions, and attempts to improve a segment of society simply because some support comes from religious organizations. Some of these same people elect proven liars and known criminals into powerful political positions rationalizing that their affiliation with a particular party makes them acceptable.

Supporting Member
    is risen

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    10-20-2018
    Local Time
    Gifts Heart Car Beer Beer Burger Cake Ban Hammer Beer

Many people also condemn without thinking entire communities, institutions, and attempts to improve a segment of society simply because some support comes from religious organizations. Some of these same people elect proven liars and known criminals into powerful political positions rationalizing that their affiliation with a particular party makes them acceptable.
    Do you know, I prefer that to crusading.
    Nullius in verba|||||||||||
    Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!

The watch of your vision has become reasonable today.

It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.
    Write that word in the blood

is just wandrin

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    10-19-2018
    Local Time
    04:46 PM
    Gifts Balloons Cake Gift

The article also had an interesting point. It mentioned the small private schools who charge between $3,000-$5,000 per year, who are now coming up with all sorts of extra fees and charges to get the full $8,800 from the state. This parallels what the GAO found in for-profit colleges, who adjusted their fees to match the max that the GI Bill or student loans would cover.

There was an interesting article in today's Salon about one of the for-profit colleges.
    America's worst colleges - Student Loan Debt - Salon.com

is a Natualized Texan

I am:
    Awesome

Local Date
    10-19-2018
    Local Time
    Gifts Certificate Beer

Quote Originally Posted by spot View Post
    Do you know, I prefer that to crusading.
    Snipers usually have a target. What was your snipe aimed at?

is a Natualized Texan

I am:
    Awesome

Local Date
    10-19-2018
    Local Time
    Gifts Certificate Beer

Quote Originally Posted by Wandrin View Post
    The article also had an interesting point. It mentioned the small private schools who charge between $3,000-$5,000 per year, who are now coming up with all sorts of extra fees and charges to get the full $8,800 from the state. This parallels what the GAO found in for-profit colleges, who adjusted their fees to match the max that the GI Bill or student loans would cover.
    Keep that in mind when voting for Obamacare. When bottomless pockets get involved, market forces lose their power to keep prices reasonable.
    If my memory serves, I believe it was Belgium that attached their spending to the pupil, rather than the school. Parents could send their students to any school they chose, and the set amount followed the kid. I like that system because if the schools don't keep the parents happy then they lose the kid ... and the money.

gmc
    Currently Offline
    This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    10-20-2018
    Local Time
    Gifts Cocktail Car Beer

I ahve good reason to be wary of religious schools. I suspect their motives are not for the best, sadly such concerns are too often borne out by the reality. Would you be so ready to accept the idea if it also allowed madrassas to become part and parcel of the american landscape - bet a lot of those good christians would object.

While it is true many crooks get elected they do not claim to be inspired by the divine and criticising them is not seen as an attack on their religion. Education is a right and is essential for the good of society that it is available to all, it is also essential for a functioning capitalist society that the workforce be educated - it's just too important to be left in the hands of for profit education bodies. Have a look at what Adam Smith had to say about it - Good education, a healthy workforce and good wages are essential for a capitalist economy to succeed.

It's sad but i really see america going backwards over the next few years if this kind of thing continues. Will you ever get back to a capitalist economy do you think? We have similar issues but more chance I think of resolving them.

is a Natualized Texan

I am:
    Awesome

Local Date
    10-19-2018
    Local Time
    Gifts Certificate Beer

I ahve good reason to be wary of religious schools. I suspect their motives are not for the best, sadly such concerns are too often borne out by the reality. Would you be so ready to accept the idea if it also allowed madrassas to become part and parcel of the american landscape - bet a lot of those good christians would object.
    I'm sure they would. I wouldn't.

While it is true many crooks get elected they do not claim to be inspired by the divine and criticising them is not seen as an attack on their religion.
    You make the mistake of thinking all the world is Scotland. Newt Gingrich and John Edwards both claim to be inspired by the divine, claim that all their shortcomings are forgiven, and have plenty of justification to believe that people of myriad religious persuasions would still vote for them.

Education is a right and is essential for the good of society that it is available to all, it is also essential for a functioning capitalist society that the workforce be educated - it's just too important to be left in the hands of for profit education bodies.
    It's too important to allow prejudice to sway decisions. You and others in this thread are condemning the entire program based only on the most extreme negative stereotypes of religion. That makes you and the others bigots.

This user has no status.

I am:
    Cool

Local Date
    10-19-2018
    Local Time
    07:46 PM
    Gifts Kitten

Register to remove this ad.
    It's too important to allow prejudice to sway decisions. You and others in this thread are condemning the entire program based only on the most extreme negative stereotypes of religion. That makes you and the others bigots.
    If the program can be tweaked and fixed then no I'm not condemning it, if however, that is not the case then yes I am condemning the entire program. It's completely up to the designers of the program whether or not it should be condemned altogether.

It's a fact that the religious element involved in the political process are the more aggressive type, and it's that element that I'm talking about. If you don't know that then you're right, you are naive.
    “Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”
    Voltaire

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast