Happy

Local Date
    10-20-2018
    Local Time
    12:54 AM
    Gifts Heart Car Beer Beer Burger Cake Ban Hammer Beer

Re: Two planes down in one day

Quote Originally Posted by Bruv View Post
    A tragic accident happened in the UK causing at least 7 deaths.
    How do the political events in the middle east come into it ?
    They don't at all. What I was discussing was how I would react in each case.

There's a paragraph you perhaps didn't see relating to the A27 deaths, let me find it...

I would regard myself as both insensitive and intrusive were I to publicly, indirectly and impersonally express sympathy - as I said, it would be "knee-jerk me-too, unsavoury and in bad taste" - or, to pick the first available Internet definition, "disagreeable and unpleasant because morally disreputable".

I hope that helps.
    Nullius in verba|||||||||||
    Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!

The watch of your vision has become reasonable today.

It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.
    Write that word in the blood

is Copyright J.R.R. Tolkien.

I am:
    Cool

Local Date
    10-19-2018
    Local Time
    11:54 PM
    Gifts Boxing Gloves Certificate Car

Quote Originally Posted by spot View Post
    Regarding death, we seem to have at least two classes under discussion.

Firstly there are those which come out of the blue. These on the A27 are like that, just as the Glasgow Bin Lorry deaths are, even if in either case a causal link can be established subsequently to a human lack of caution or common sense.

The other class, instanced in the Middle East, are the inevitable deaths which stem from a deliberate policy, which are predictable in the mass even if not predictable in terms of who dies and who survives.

Those predictable deaths stemming from deliberate policy I find utterly outrageous and unacceptable, and I demand an accounting throughout the entire chain of command. They are intended. The A27 and bin lorry deaths are not intended. Therein lies the difference in my response. One evokes outrage, the other evokes sympathy.

My final point is that I consider it a moral imperative to publicly express the outrage, because subsequent outrage can be and should be prevented thereby. I would, in contrast, regard myself as both insensitive and intrusive were I to publicly, indirectly and impersonally express the sympathy - as I said, it would be "knee-jerk me-too, unsavoury and in bad taste" - or, to pick the first available Internet definition, "disagreeable and unpleasant because morally disreputable".

Nobody seems the slightest bit concerned that David Cameron deliberately chooses to kill people, but we're meant to applaud his self-serving announcement that he claims delicate sensibility after an air crash? I think not.
    Our sickening politicians never miss an opportunity to get their PR shots in, do they? It totally repulses me how they 'make capital' out of just about anything newsworthy, no matter how distasteful or inappropriate.

You stated:
    The other class, instanced in the Middle East, are the inevitable deaths which stem from a deliberate policy, which are predictable in the mass even if not predictable in terms of who dies and who survives.

Those predictable deaths stemming from deliberate policy I find utterly outrageous and unacceptable, and I demand an accounting throughout the entire chain of command.

Couldn't agree more, Spot! I would like to see them facing a court of enquiry, charged with some form of 'war crime(s)', especially Bliar and his cohorts of that time. The main trouble with the idiots in Parliament is that their policies will have to be paid for.....By us!

I loath them all with a passion, I can tell you!!

As for expressing the outrage most of us feel, maybe it's time for some mass-demonstrations? It is our right to demonstrate if we feel that we are being ignored or abused.

Us Brits need to take a leaf from the French pickets and strikes/demonstrations,IMO. They nearly always manage to make THEIR government back down by dint of the scale of the disruption, and by tenacity of purpose.

I would also add that my 'temperature gauge' is nearly 'in the red' as regards the mealy-mouthed, self-serving, gold-digging, congenital liars and fraudsters that we keep electing to the halls of power here!!!!
    " To finish first, first you have to finish!" Rick Mears. 4x Winner Indy 500. 3x Indycar National Champion.

Recycled Teenager
    This user has no status.

I am:
    Cool

Local Date
    10-20-2018
    Local Time
    Gifts Heart Cocktail Kitten Gift Balloons Balloons Ban Hammer Gift

Apparently (to get back to the original subject), there are now 11 dead, and that may still increase. The pilot is critically injured, but seems to be hanging on and fighting for his life. Hopefully he will survive and be able to help with the investigation.

An eye-witness did say that the plane appeared to split before impact, and that would indicate possible metal fatigue. Again a good reason for not putting these old planes through such stressful activities. I really don't understand why this is permitted. Surely it is obvious that metal that is 50 years old will have lost a lot of it's durability ?
    I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully

Supporting Member
    is risen

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    10-20-2018
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by G#Gill View Post
    Surely it is obvious that metal that is 50 years old will have lost a lot of it's durability ?
    I'll not be taking the train to Scotland again in a hurry then.

It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.

Recycled Teenager
    This user has no status.

I am:
    Cool

Local Date
    10-20-2018
    Local Time
    Gifts Heart Cocktail Kitten Gift Balloons Balloons Ban Hammer Gift

I'll not be taking the train to Scotland again in a hurry then.
    But trains do not necessarily get put through the same sort of pressures that an aircraft is put through when it performs various 'stunts' at high speed in the sky, do they ?
    I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully

Supporting Member
    is risen

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    10-20-2018
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by G#Gill View Post
    But trains do not necessarily get put through the same sort of pressures that an aircraft is put through when it performs various 'stunts' at high speed in the sky, do they ?
    The Inverness Sleeper weighs eight hundred tons and goes round corners at 125 miles an hour on rails still bearing on their undersides the dottle of Victorian Navvies, at least if you can hear the tiddley-pom tiddley-pom sound from the wheels.

is .

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    10-20-2018
    Local Time
    Gifts Balloons Car Gift Naughty Mag Certificate Beer Beer

The Inverness Sleeper weighs eight hundred tons and goes round corners at 125 miles an hour on rails still bearing on their undersides the dottle of Victorian Navvies, at least if you can hear the tiddley-pom tiddley-pom sound from the wheels.
    Built solidly to last forever rather that built as light as possible (read "as thin as possible") to increase range and manoeuvrability - not really comparable.

Supporting Member
    is risen

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    10-20-2018
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Bryn Mawr View Post
    Built solidly to last forever rather that built as light as possible (read "as thin as possible") to increase range and manoeuvrability - not really comparable.
    We started with "metal that is 50 years old will have lost a lot of it's durability", if you remember.

I'm just laying out text (page 75 of 353) which I OCR'd yesterday - it's another book, for my sins. It's a long time since I last did one. That's my excuse for seeming twitchy.

is .

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    10-20-2018
    Local Time
    Gifts Balloons Car Gift Naughty Mag Certificate Beer Beer

We started with "metal that is 50 years old will have lost a lot of it's durability", if you remember.

I'm just laying out text (page 75 of 353) which I OCR'd yesterday - it's another book, for my sins. It's a long time since I last did one. That's my excuse for seeming twitchy.
    Metal, built as light and as thin as possible (and probably of aluminium to boot) that is fifty years old will, in all likelihood, have lost a lot of its durability.

It's only if you take it as a statement out of context and therefore covering the general case does your example become relevant.

I've had a bad day too :-p

This user has no status.

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    10-20-2018
    Local Time
    Gifts Beer Beer FacePalm Ban Hammer Beer Beer Beer Beer

Register to remove this ad.