I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    10-22-2018
    Local Time
    09:55 AM
    Gifts Heart Car Beer Beer Burger Cake Ban Hammer Beer

Two planes down in one day

A Hawker Hunter - a beautiful plane which should on no account be dropped - seems to have been ridden into the ground at Shoreham Airshow after an aerobatic loop, at which point it ploughed across a very crowded A27. The pilot may be the luckiest man on the planet if reports of his reaching hospital alive are correct.

Shoreham plane crash: Seven dead after Hawker Hunter hits cars - BBC News
    Nullius in verba|||||||||||
    Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!

The watch of your vision has become reasonable today.

It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.
    Write that word in the blood

Recycled Teenager
    This user has no status.

I am:
    Cool

Local Date
    10-22-2018
    Local Time
    Gifts Heart Cocktail Kitten Gift Balloons Balloons Ban Hammer Gift

Re: Two planes down in one day

What a terrible incident ! I would have thought that if the pilot was still in the aircraft when it crashed, it is doubtful that he will survive. Apparently an eye witness said that he didn't see a parachute so it looks as if the poor guy was still in the plane. At best I would imagine that he would be terribly burned and no doubt have many broken bones.

I have a sister-in-law who lives a few miles away from Shoreham and the A27 runs through her village !
    I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully

This user has no status.

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    10-22-2018
    Local Time
    Gifts Beer Beer FacePalm Ban Hammer Beer Beer Beer Beer

The Pilot is in a bad way HERE
    I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth

Supporting Member
    is risen

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    10-22-2018
    Local Time

I think I have two comments I want to make, so far.

One is that I am repelled by David Cameron taking opportunities like this to get his name into the papers with his faux-news "I offer my condolences" press releases. The man is not the Queen, it is not his job and I seriously doubt the truth of the message anyhow. It's knee-jerk me-too, it's unsavoury and it's in bad taste.

The other is that vintage planes are too valuable a part of history to be flung around the skies like this. If someone's going to perform aerobatics they should do it in a suitable plane, which isn't a sixty-year-old endangered species better suited to display in a museum and flown gently once a decade. I am, quite honestly, more annoyed at the loss of this aircraft than I am at the mayhem on the ground. If I'm to regret loss of life I'll look first to the spectacularly more extensive daily carnage in the Middle East, not the A27, simply on the grounds of scale and responsibility.

It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.

This user has no status.

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    10-22-2018
    Local Time

I had better consider the previous post overnight before I open my mouth.

is Copyright J.R.R. Tolkien.

I am:
    Cool

Local Date
    10-22-2018
    Local Time
    08:55 AM
    Gifts Boxing Gloves Certificate Car

Quote Originally Posted by spot View Post
    I think I have two comments I want to make, so far.

One is that I am repelled by David Cameron taking opportunities like this to get his name into the papers with his faux-news "I offer my condolences" press releases. The man is not the Queen, it is not his job and I seriously doubt the truth of the message anyhow. It's knee-jerk me-too, it's unsavoury and it's in bad taste.

The other is that vintage planes are too valuable a part of history to be flung around the skies like this. If someone's going to perform aerobatics they should do it in a suitable plane, which isn't a sixty-year-old endangered species better suited to display in a museum and flown gently once a decade. I am, quite honestly, more annoyed at the loss of this aircraft than I am at the mayhem on the ground. If I'm to regret loss of life I'll look first to the spectacularly more extensive daily carnage in the Middle East, not the A27, simply on the grounds of scale and responsibility.
    The only thing I would deplore is the apparent lack of compassion your post shows to the innocent travellers caught up in the fireball. Imagine burning to death in your vehicle. Not a pleasant end! Yet you praise the general public for rescuing the pilot who came down at Sandown. Rather contrary, IMO. A plane is only a plane, when all's said and done, even if it is rare.
    Just about any tragedy, when compared to the loss of life in the Middle East, will be 'small potatoes' in comparison.

For the record, I'm annoyed at the loss of the Hunter too, especially as this accident was totally avoidable! I am a keen aviation enthusiast with flying experience in several types of aircraft, including 8 hours logged as pilot under instruction (Not much, but my instructor was an ex RAF Spitfire pilot from WW2. 8 hours with him was worth at least 20 with virtually any other instructor, judging from the rapid progress I made in comparison with other trainees) . Apart from your apparent lack of compassion for those caught up in the fireball, I totally agree with you on the other counts, Spot.
    " To finish first, first you have to finish!" Rick Mears. 4x Winner Indy 500. 3x Indycar National Champion.

Supporting Member
    is risen

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    10-22-2018
    Local Time

Regarding death, we seem to have at least two classes under discussion.

Firstly there are those which come out of the blue. These on the A27 are like that, just as the Glasgow Bin Lorry deaths are, even if in either case a causal link can be established subsequently to a human lack of caution or common sense.

The other class, instanced in the Middle East, are the inevitable deaths which stem from a deliberate policy, which are predictable in the mass even if not predictable in terms of who dies and who survives.

Those predictable deaths stemming from deliberate policy I find utterly outrageous and unacceptable, and I demand an accounting throughout the entire chain of command. They are intended. The A27 and bin lorry deaths are not intended. Therein lies the difference in my response. One evokes outrage, the other evokes sympathy.

My final point is that I consider it a moral imperative to publicly express the outrage, because subsequent outrage can be and should be prevented thereby. I would, in contrast, regard myself as both insensitive and intrusive were I to publicly, indirectly and impersonally express the sympathy - as I said, it would be "knee-jerk me-too, unsavoury and in bad taste" - or, to pick the first available Internet definition, "disagreeable and unpleasant because morally disreputable".

Nobody seems the slightest bit concerned that David Cameron deliberately chooses to kill people, but we're meant to applaud his self-serving announcement that he claims delicate sensibility after an air crash? I think not.

This user has no status.

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    10-22-2018
    Local Time

I am, quite honestly, more annoyed at the loss of this aircraft than I am at the mayhem on the ground. If I'm to regret loss of life I'll look first to the spectacularly more extensive daily carnage in the Middle East, not the A27, simply on the grounds of scale and responsibility.
    I have an image of Spot at a funeral offering condolences to the family of the deceased as they exit a building after the burial/cremation, he only expresses regret to the first five family members due to compassion having a limit, he is saving the remainder of his for other more deserving cases such as a broken vintage airplane.

I have made a highly caricatured version of the content purely for effect.
    And "Regarding death" there is only one class, there are different ways to die, perhaps that is what you meant ?

Supporting Member
    is risen

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    10-22-2018
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Bruv View Post
    And "Regarding death" there is only one class, there are different ways to die, perhaps that is what you meant ?
    Definitely. Some ways are blameworthy, others are the luck of the draw. Having an exploding plane land on you is as random as being hit by a meteorite, nobody sat in a meeting deliberately concocting a policy which would inevitably lead to deaths and to which you consequently became a victim. Some deaths should generate anger, others should generate sympathy - I'd call that classification even if you don't.

This user has no status.

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    10-22-2018
    Local Time

Register to remove this ad.
    Definitely. Some ways are blameworthy, others are the luck of the draw. Having an exploding plane land on you is as random as being hit by a meteorite, nobody sat in a meeting deliberately concocting a policy which would inevitably lead to deaths and to which you consequently became a victim. Some deaths should generate anger, others should generate sympathy - I'd call that classification even if you don't.
    A tragic accident happened in the UK causing at least 7 deaths.
    How do the political events in the middle east come into it ?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast