I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    11-15-2018
    Local Time
    06:34 PM
    Gifts Beer Beer FacePalm Ban Hammer Beer Beer Beer Beer

Re: Helsinki Summit

He can always blame his speech writer, or the typist.
    I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth

This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    11-15-2018
    Local Time
    Gifts Beer Beer

Bruv: That reminds me: Where's this translator? Who else other than Putin do we KNOW was in that meeting with Trump? Putin speaks English if he wants.

Maybe there were 2 translators, one American one Russian, there but with THIS President I would like to be sure that was the case.

Anne: Sadly I'm sure you are right and his "correction" aka lie will be enough for his core vote. I do wonder though - aren't these people traditionally anti-Russian full stop end of story? That's going to hurt after a while.

edit: another thing. This isn't the first time Trump as President has "blown his mouth off" and revealed intel to the Russians. Wasn't there a case where the ally involved had to mount a rescue operation and get people out? However, I've heard a couple of stories that US allies have stopped sharing sensitive information with the US because of the risk Trump poses.

Only someone with the mental capacity of a deranged goldfish could believe the excuse.
    The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"
    Lone voice: "I'm not."

is jellyfish

I am:
    Awesome

Local Date
    11-16-2018
    Local Time
    04:34 AM

when i ever hear "I thought it was obvious" that's a person saying ..." everyone of you are the idiots because it was obvious."

Premium Member
    This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    11-15-2018
    Local Time
    11:34 AM
    Gifts Beer Beer

I love this guy, George Will and his writing.

This sad, embarrassing wreck of a man

America’s child president had a play date with a KGB alumnus, who surely enjoyed providing day care. It was a useful, because illuminating, event: Now we shall see how many Republicans retain a capacity for embarrassment.

Precision is not part of Trump’s repertoire: He speaks English as though it is a second language that he learned from someone who learned English last week. So, it is usually difficult to sift meanings from Trump’s word salads. But in Helsinki he was, for him, crystal clear about feeling no allegiance to the intelligence institutions that work at his direction and under leaders he chose.

Americans elected a president who — this is a safe surmise — knew that he had more to fear from making his tax returns public than from keeping them secret. The most innocent inference is that for decades he has depended on an American weakness, susceptibility to the tacky charisma of wealth, which would evaporate when his tax returns revealed that he has always lied about his wealth, too. A more ominous explanation might be that his redundantly demonstrated incompetence as a businessman tumbled him into unsavory financial dependencies on Russians. A still more sinister explanation might be that the Russians have something else, something worse, to keep him compliant.

The explanation is in doubt; what needs to be explained — his compliance — is not. Granted, Trump has a weak man’s banal fascination with strong men whose disdain for him is evidently unimaginable to him. And, yes, he only perfunctorily pretends to have priorities beyond personal aggrandizement. But just as astronomers inferred, from anomalies in the orbits of the planet Uranus, the existence of Neptune before actually seeing it, Mueller might infer, and then find, still-hidden sources of the behavior of this sad, embarrassing wreck of a man.

WASHINGTON POST
    Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.
    -MARK TWAIN

No man has a good enough memory to be a successful liar.
    -ABRAHAM LINCOLN

This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    11-15-2018
    Local Time
    Gifts Beer Beer

tude: Hard to add to that.

I've been going over it and it does actually seem possible that this might ALL be Trump's total inadequacy in every way rather than the Russians having anything on him. He really could be that stupid arrogant ignorant etc. I think he is that stupid AND I suspect the Russians have something on him. I'm still amazed he can hide his tax returns like that.

He has one talent: bull****ting the stupid.

If collusion means him and some Russians sitting round a table plotting, then I doubt that there was collusion and I suspect that is what Trump is denying. It's standard legal practise isn't it? Didn't Clinton make a similar sort of denial in the Lewinsky case?

However there are many situations not as obvious as that which we might call collusion but that don't conform to that strict definition of collusion I started with. That's where I suspect Trump is on that one. I also think there is financial corruption up the wahoo by any standards you care to apply. Despite what he wants people to believe he's a truly crap businessman with an infinitely huge ego. He will do literally anything other than admit failure which is scary with someone in his position.

...and he's invited Putin to the White House. I saw the interview where the news was broken to the DNI. "That's going to be special." Now the DNI's been forced to humiliate himself in public. Doubt we've heard the last of that, one way or another.

And Mueller follows like, please God, Nemesis.

chuckle. One consequence of this is that I think the EU is looking at the situation and realising it doesn't actually need the US any more. Russia, though vast, is not the USSR and cannot sustain that sort of Warsaw Pact military, I think. The UK and France probably have enough nuclear capacity between them to act as a deterrent: I believe Russia's economy ranks just below Italy's (though this depends of course exactly how you measure it, it does give a rough idea where their economy rates) and they simply couldn't sustain a non nuclear invasion of Western Europe.

Or at least if Europe is not militarily independent it is pretty close and the current spending commitments (made before Trump came to power) should get us there. It's worth remembering that Putin was a KGB agent and uses KGB methods: poison, subversion, destabilisation. I see both Trump's election and Brexit as showing signs that Putin at least tried to influence the result. I think he had an effect in both cases, and since both results were very, very close I think it likely that actually, Putin decided the result of both our referendum and your election.

And I'd still like to be sure: can anyone tell me definitely that there was, at all times, an American translator in the room with Putin and Trump. They weren't ever left alone together.

I'll tell you something else: Trump's reading and writing age really is somewhere around 12.

This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    11-15-2018
    Local Time
    Gifts Beer Beer

Register to remove this ad.
    I'd still like to be sure that Trump and Putin were NEVER alone together at the Helsinki summit. No-one seems able to confirm it and it is being gradually forgotten in the walking ****storm which is this Presidency.

CNN had a report the other night where they pointed out that it is as if the USA has two Administrations at present: The Presidency and the White House. North Korea and Russia seem to be two examples where the President is talking unicorns and roses and the White House talking deceit and interference. It's not good cop bad cop, it's action and often panicked reaction, or a schizophrenic Presidency.

I also understand that tax receipts incoming do not even remotely cover the increased borrowing Trump has done and the US is looking at huge increases in debt. Now, the US economy is absolutely huge and can therefore absorb damage pretty well but if they are having a full on trade war with China at the same time it's asking a lot. Perhaps 2019 will be interesting in this regard.

Another thing: Is the Trump marriage under strain? I gather Melania Trump has been tweeting (or something) in support of people her husband attacks. As an Eastern European she might have been shocked to see Trump advocating policies like kids in cages that the KGB might have been proud of. as well. You have to be a very particular sort of person to allow Trump to lay his sticky little hands on you at any price, but if she is a tart with a heart she's not all bad. (I am a bit concerned I'm confusing his wife and his daughter here but then so does he so I don't blame myself much)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2