Quote Originally Posted by spot View Post
This Civil Partnership thing. For those not watching, the UK has legalized different-sex civil partnerships. One male and one female, both having reached the age of consent, may now enter into a civil partnership.

What no news site has yet said is whether they can do this if either partner is already married. It's illegal to enter a second marriage while one is still current, it's called bigamy. I've no idea what will stop someone trying a civil partnership in that circumstance.

And can I enter a civil partnership with my sister?
This suggests not :- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civil_...United_Kingdom
Each party to the civil partnership must be of the same sex and be at least 16 years of age. Anyone below 18 years of age will usually need parental consent, except in Scotland where such consent is not required. Furthermore, the parties to the proposed partnership must not be within the prohibited degrees of relationship specified in part 1 of schedule 1, paragraphs 1 and 2 of the Act (paragraph 3 was not brought into force [7] following a ruling from the European Court of Human Rights against similar provisions for marriage).[8] Any party who is already in a marriage or a civil partnership is ineligible to register.