Make these ads go away.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 105 of 107 FirstFirst ... 5 55 95 103 104 105 106 107 LastLast
Results 1,041 to 1,050 of 1067

Thread: Will President Trump run for a second term?

Supporting Member
    is risen

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    12-09-2018
    Local Time
    10:50 PM
    Gifts Heart Car Beer Beer Burger Cake Ban Hammer Beer

Re: Will President Trump run for a second term?

Quote Originally Posted by AnneBoleyn View Post
    Now at least you are being honest. Yes, as a non-citizen of the U.S. I fully understand your desire for an isolationist president who doesn't go around the world effing any available situation. I can also see, as written in this second post, your comparison of Trump/Lincoln.

I object to the language of your first post. I found it derisive with contempt for your audience. You know very well how to google rotunda if you don't already know where it is. Starting off w/a dumb question I believe you might know. "worshipping Trump in wayside shrines I'm not sure." Even unsure I find the phrase snide.

Your second post here is right on the mark. So, I guess I am complaining less about content and more about style.
    As for Rotunda, I did say I was writing early in the morning. I was minutes from leaving for a school run and talking to the child as I typed. Mainly about breakfast rather than Lincoln.

As for "worshipping Trump in wayside shrines", I'd referred to apotheosis. The head of the Roman Empire was traditionally declared a god either on his death or during his lifetime. Achieving godhood is "apotheosis". Statues of these newly-made gods were then worshipped throughout the Empire.

I think Lincoln has been put in that position by Americans - Lincoln is no longer an historical figure, he's become an American God over the last forty years though he certainly wasn't before then. I can see American public adulation of President Trump following the same path as time goes on, quite possibly during his own lifetime. Can't you?

I think my tone and content were quite intelligible though I do recognize you take exception to the man we're discussing.
    Nullius in verba|||||||||||
    Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!

The watch of your vision has become reasonable today.

It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.
    Write that word in the blood

Ted
    Currently Offline
    This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    12-09-2018
    Local Time
    02:50 PM

Spot some great posts. As far as that man we are discussing is concerned I see him as a poor excuse for a human being.

Supporting Member
    is risen

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    12-09-2018
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Ted View Post
    Spot some great posts. As far as that man we are discussing is concerned I see him as a poor excuse for a human being.
    He's undoubtedly that. He's been a weak blustering bully for as long as I've heard about him. What should be far more distressing is that his supporters know he's a weak blustering bully and cheer him on for it. The more he outrages people of integrity, the more support he generates within his base. His skill is inventing denials, delays and deflections through the use of blatant transparent lies, thereby avoiding ever addressing real issues. And the more he attracts attention to Washington politics instead of foreign engagements the happier I'll get.

It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.

is poking the sun

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    12-09-2018
    Local Time
    04:50 PM

I think Lincoln was hated at the time because half the country was extremely racist and wanted slaves. History has judged these people poorly.

Trump OTOH generally wants to go backwards in time, not forward. Unless history takes a dark turn, I can't see how a guy who stares at the sun and defends neo Nazis would be viewed favorably long term.

He lies 10 times a day. I wouldn't count on him being an isolationist. He's the guy asking why he can't use nukes.

Supporting Member
    is risen

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    12-09-2018
    Local Time

If I recall, he said he reserved the option to use nukes before being attacked. Since that's the same reservation every US President has made since Truman it's not something he can be picked out for.

I'd much rather pass judgement on what he's done than on what people think he might do. He hasn't taken America to war. President Osama took America to war, President Bush 43 took America to war, President Clinton took America to war, President Bush 41 took America to war, President Reagan took America to war, President Carter took America to war. Gerald Ford was the most recent President to opt for a peaceful Presidency until President Trump's term, and the gung-ho American people not surprisingly rewarded Gerald Ford by refusing to re-elect him.

I think I can speak objectively in saying that history is not going to judge the post-war American electorate any less harshly than it judges the Confederacy, regardless of which President you focus on. President Trump is the one beacon of hope to appear from Washington since President Kennedy.

is just trying to keep her head

I am:
    Shy

Local Date
    12-09-2018
    Local Time
    05:50 PM
    Gifts Kitten Kitten Kitten Cake Gift Balloons Gift Car

President OSAMA? Unless that's a typo ---- that's something tude might say. I would accept it from him, not you. Have my reasons. Go wash your mouth out with soap.

Supporting Member
    is risen

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    12-09-2018
    Local Time

President OSAMA? Unless that's a typo ---- that's something tude might say. I would accept it from him, not you. Have my reasons. Go wash your mouth out with soap.
    Who else do you think kicked off the disintegration of Syria? Go and look at which administration handed hundreds of millions of dollars to the Syrian opposition in exile to hire and arm their fundamentalist mercenaries. Who else do you think provided air superiority over Syria to make the civil war possible?

You'd think the US would be in favour of secular republics in the Middle East but no, every secular republic has been undermined. Absolute monarchies are supported, Wahabist fanatics can buy all the weaponry they ask for, secular republics are flattened into the dust. The fact that secular republics are the only part of the Middle East where women get an education and employment is totally overlooked.

Premium Member
    This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    12-09-2018
    Local Time
    Gifts Beer Beer

I didn't like the guy to be sure but that is way beneath even me. It is akin to comparing somebody to Hitler which I never do.
    Elim Garak: The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.

Enabran Tain: Always burn your bridges behind you. You never know who might be trying to follow.

Supporting Member
    is risen

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    12-09-2018
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by tude dog View Post

I didn't like the guy to be sure but that is way beneath even me. It is akin to comparing somebody to Hitler which I never do.
    You don't remember your Secretary of State, Hillary Clinton? "We came, we saw, he died"? Who was President at the time if not President Obama? Have you seen the condition of Libya this year? That's his world legacy.

Premium Member
    This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    12-09-2018
    Local Time
    Gifts Beer Beer

Register to remove this ad.
    Quote Originally Posted by yaaarrrgg View Post
    I think Lincoln was hated at the time because half the country was extremely racist and wanted slaves.
    I think a war costing so many lives and destruction of much of the country tends to evoke emotions. Lincoln didn't start the war but to end it destroyed much of the South.

History has judged these people poorly.
    Who speaks of History? Lincoln himself by present standards could be frowned upon for his attitude towards Neegros. It is a complicated story.

Trump OTOH generally wants to go backwards in time, not forward. Unless history takes a dark turn, I can't see how a guy who stares at the sun and defends neo Nazis would be viewed favorably long term.
    The first I heard of it I took a view similar view as the Don, a pox on both the white nationalists and supremacists and counter-protesters. According to a popular view, Don's sin was not condemning the white nationalists and supremacists, fast enough.

He lies 10 times a day. I wouldn't count on him being an isolationist. He's the guy asking why he can't use nukes.
    Elim Garak: The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.

Enabran Tain: Always burn your bridges behind you. You never know who might be trying to follow.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 105 of 107 FirstFirst ... 5 55 95 103 104 105 106 107 LastLast