I am:
    Cool

Local Date
    11-19-2018
    Local Time
    06:25 PM
    Gifts Heart Cocktail Kitten Gift Balloons Balloons Ban Hammer Gift

Re: "The Friendly Café - Open for chinwaggin'

That's the trouble really. Far to many people are being far too lenient with all this nastiness rearing it's ugly head. These youngsters know that they will not be dealt with too harshly. Don't you think it's time to say enough is enough ? The 'soft' touch has been tried and failed dreadfully. These youngsters are running riot, and they seem to not treat life seriously at all.

Have you got a solution to this ever worsening problem ? I would love to hear it Anne.

No floggings should not be public, otherwise the recipients would add it as a badge of achievement in front of their peers. As for the sarcastic comment about pillories, there again, that would be in public and not a good idea.

The Isle of Man, off the coast of the UK, have their own independent government and they used to have the birch and, if I remember rightly, there was only one person who came back for more ! So it was effective. However, they decided to not have the birch any more. Whether this will be a good idea, we no doubt will see.
    I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully

Proudly humble
    is Lost in the Ozone, again.

I am:
    Cool

Local Date
    11-19-2018
    Local Time
    01:25 PM
    Gifts Beer Balloons Gift Car Beer

Quote Originally Posted by G#Gill View Post
    That's the trouble really. Far to many people are being far too lenient with all this nastiness rearing it's ugly head. These youngsters know that they will not be dealt with too harshly. Don't you think it's time to say enough is enough ? The 'soft' touch has been tried and failed dreadfully. These youngsters are running riot, and they seem to not treat life seriously at all.

Have you got a solution to this ever worsening problem ? I would love to hear it Anne.

No floggings should not be public, otherwise the recipients would add it as a badge of achievement in front of their peers. As for the sarcastic comment about pillories, there again, that would be in public and not a good idea.

The Isle of Man, off the coast of the UK, have their own independent government and they used to have the birch and, if I remember rightly, there was only one person who came back for more ! So it was effective. However, they decided to not have the birch any more. Whether this will be a good idea, we no doubt will see.
    Well, when I was young, the pain of corporal punishment didn't work as a deterrent to bad behavior. Of course Cat'o'nine and the like weren't on the list of options for school or parental correctional devices.
    I suppose that had we been faced with being tied to the Wheel and flailed, we might have settled down a bit quicker.
    "The trouble with people isn't that they don't know, but that they know so much that ain't so." - Will Rogers

Ted
    Currently Offline
    This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    11-19-2018
    Local Time
    10:25 AM

LarsMac great post. We have known for a long time that those kinds of punishments do not work. Maybe in the odd case. Capital punishment does not work either. The example of this is in the middle ages most pick pocketing happenedd t the execution of those doing the picking. That did not stop that crime. It just gave them a venue for criminal activities. Even hang, draw and quarter did not work. It was not even useful to control the world's population crisis.. War hasn't worked either.

Recycled Teenager
    This user has no status.

I am:
    Cool

Local Date
    11-19-2018
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Ted View Post
    LarsMac great post. We have known for a long time that those kinds of punishments do not work. Maybe in the odd case. Capital punishment does not work either. The example of this is in the middle ages most pick pocketing happenedd t the execution of those doing the picking. That did not stop that crime. It just gave them a venue for criminal activities. Even hang, draw and quarter did not work. It was not even useful to control the world's population crisis.. War hasn't worked either.
    In which case, you two, how about suggesting something which could work ????
    Kid gloves doesn't work.
    Physical punishment doesn't work, you say.
    Religion isn't likely to work as most of these thugs couldn't care less about that.

Well, come on then, you must have a suggestion to offer up !

is just trying to keep her head

I am:
    Shy

Local Date
    11-19-2018
    Local Time
    Gifts Kitten Kitten Kitten Cake Gift Balloons Gift Car

Kid gloves doesn't work.
    Religion isn't likely to work as most of these thugs couldn't care less about that.

Sometimes, with some people, NOTHING works. So, there's no point in society losing it's own morality while dealing with them. Try killing them with kindness, see what that does as a first measure. Usually, there is a big lack of this in certain young lives.

Proudly humble
    is Lost in the Ozone, again.

I am:
    Cool

Local Date
    11-19-2018
    Local Time
    Gifts Beer Balloons Gift Car Beer

Kid gloves doesn't work.

If there were easy answers, someone would have come up with them, by now.
    I know that family can make a difference, but really giving the kids something constructive to do early on, and making sure they know that someone cares makes a big difference in how they see the world.

Look at what Saint's school can do for a lot of the kids where he lives. A lot of those kids probably thought nobody cared about them until they came to that school.

A lot of children out there, and even here where we live, miss out on the kind of attention that gets them a good start. Adults who care are the primary fix for kids that are out of control.
    Well, that, and a lot of hard work.
    "The trouble with people isn't that they don't know, but that they know so much that ain't so." - Will Rogers

is jellyfish

I am:
    Awesome

Local Date
    11-20-2018
    Local Time
    05:25 AM

Quote Originally Posted by LarsMac View Post
    Well, when I was young, the pain of corporal punishment didn't work as a deterrent to bad behavior. Of course Cat'o'nine and the like weren't on the list of options for school or parental correctional devices.
    I suppose that had we been faced with being tied to the Wheel and flailed, we might have settled down a bit quicker.
    one of my grandfathers suffered the lash...35 cat o nine.... for insubordination ...then I read on to how his life went. And now there is me. Don't talk to me about that ****. those who call for those sort of punishments are either psychopathic or under the influence of psychopaths. "/ˌɪnsəˌbɔːdɪˈneɪʃn/ noun noun: insubordination; plural noun: insubordinations defiance of authority; refusal to obey orders. "he was dismissed for insubordination" synonyms: disobedience, unruliness, waywardness, indiscipline, bad behaviour, misbehaviour, misconduct, delinquency, troublemaking;

Recycled Teenager
    This user has no status.

I am:
    Cool

Local Date
    11-19-2018
    Local Time

I would NEVER call for the return of the cat-o-nine-tails. That is so barbaric. I'll also thank you to not suggest that I am psychopathic. All I said was that corporal punishment should be brought back, namely the birch and the cane, and under strict supervision and that includes a doctor. As it seems that the 'soft touch' has failed, appealing to their better natures has failed (this affords the miscreants quite a lot of mirth). So suggest a solution that won't be laughed out of the building by these miscreants. I have made a suggestion but it seems that it would be a failure to have to resort to physical punishment, and that for me to suggest such measures puts me in the class of a psychopath. So you lot, WHAT'S THE ****** ANSWER ?

Ted
    Currently Offline
    This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    11-19-2018
    Local Time
    10:25 AM

Shortly before we moved from eastern Canada to the west coast two punks invaded a rural home in which an elderly brother and sister (90s) were living These punks beat them withing an inch of their lives. It seems to me that this was a cased for the lash. Some of these punks at least deserve the lash. It seems that this is the only way to get through to these scum.. So I too would like to see the lash returned to the system.

Our next do neighbor very early in my life was a guard at the prison in Guelph. He was large but not a fat man. He was called upon the system to administer the lash. He laugha=laughed when he told me he never had on come back for seconds. Some whine about the dignity of the offenders. What about the dignity of an elderly brother and sister who almost died in this episode. In general I do not believe in corporal punishment but there are some times when it might be persuasive.

Long Time Member
    is Gentleman poster

I am:
    Happy

Winter months-Florida, Summer months- New England
    Local Date
    11-19-2018
    Local Time
    02:25 PM
    Gifts Beer

Register to remove this ad.
    Punishment should be equal to the severity of the initial crime committed. The more severe the crime is, the harsher the punishment received should be! The end.
    Cars
    <"LIFE is SHORT, Make the most of it!!!" GET OUTTA HERE!>
    <Love living Large!>
    <Home is where you're treated the best, but complain the most!>

+ Reply to Thread